REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Audio, Video, & Security Tech

Audio, Video, & Security Tech This forum is brought to you by Sounds Good Auto in Coquitlam and Burnaby.

Enter SPL Competitions, display your Setups, DIY Projects

Old 07-20-2013, 01:44 AM   #1
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

One speaker starts working only after close to max volume

The car is a e36 with oem 10 speaker system and an aftermarket deck. Front has 3 on each side. Low(large), Mid(medium), High(tweeter?). Rear has two on each side. Large, tweeter. I have one mid (left front) speaker that makes no sound until volume is turned up quite a bit. Once it starts working, it works in any volume. I have to do this almost every time I start the car. I've swapped speakers left and right and with junk yard ones and even put the stock deck back in. It still does the same thing and is isolated in that location only. I know the speakers are good. I've checked all the wiring and connectors. It also appears to be in good shape. The other 9 speakers work fine. Not sure what I should try/test next.
Advertisement
toyota86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 06:59 AM   #2
Rs has made me the man i am today!

We'll if you've move the speakers around then it's most likely the source which is your amplifier. It may be mounted somewhere in the trunk of to one of the sides.
Posted via RS Mobile
catalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 02:30 PM   #3
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
I'd bet it's a broken wire or, less likely, a loose connection.

When you turn the volume up, you're increasing the voltage through the wire. Once the voltage gets high enough, it can jump the gap but with very high resistance, which causes the wire to heat up. The copper wire expands as it increases in temperature and the connection is restored (or the gap is reduced enough to cause a negligible drop in power, at least from an audible point of view) until the wire is allowed to cool down again (i.e. parking your car overnight).

I ran into this situation a few times on clients' vehicles. The break was always where the wire is fed into the door and on the driver's side. Likely got pinched or the frequent opening and closing caused the wire to break eventually.

Try running a new set of wires from the amplifier to the speaker in question temporarily and see if you have the same issue. Depending on the vehicle, you may not wish to run the test wire through the door jam as that can be a pain in the ass. If you don't have the issue with the test wires, you should permanently replace the existing wire. I'd recommend using a similar gauge wire but with a high strand count. A high strand count will use many small-gauge wires braided together and they tend to be more flexible and less likely to break than wires with lower strand counts.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote