REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 07-22-2013, 09:17 AM   #26
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,123 Posts
If you're young, you're definitely wasting your time in Vancouver, but if you're smart and savvy, you really should set the bar higher than Toronto.

On the other hand, when you get older, lifestyle does become a factor. Most people in Vancouver are active and healthy because the food here is very good (especially seafood) and the environment encourages you to be active. You can do outdoor things in Toronto, but can you really do them in the summer heat? I can run comfortably at lunch in July in Vancouver. Or I can run in the middle of January with no more than a long sleeve shirt and tights. There is no way in hell I'm doing that in Toronto with the smog and humidex at 40. If I want to hike, Lynn Valley is a 20 minute drive from me. Can I get the same hiking in Toronto? Not likely, or I have to drive far.

There's a reason why people have cottages in Muskoka: the city is unbearable in the summer. I've spent time in the Toronto-Ottawa-Montreal corridor and the weather is a huge factor why I wouldn't move there unless it came down to a significant salary increase and career prospects.

Detached homes in a nice suburb such as Richmond Hill or Markham are still nearly a million - my cousin and his wife have purchased such a home recently. You're still faced with a brutal commute along the 404 or 401 each day. Your dollar goes a bit further there for sure, but Ontario is not the engine of the country it once was.
Posted via RS Mobile
Advertisement

Last edited by Tapioca; 07-22-2013 at 09:25 AM.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:46 AM   #27
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,231 Times in 2,482 Posts
A lot posters keep saying how if you are young, you are really wasting your time here in Vancouver, and when you are older and have more assets, you want to settle down in Vancouver, etc. There is a certain degree of truth in that, but I would never say it is a golden rule everyone ought to follow.

If you know you enjoy the more laid back west coast life style, there is no shame in staying here in Vancouver even if you are young and have just started your working career. Conversely, just because you are raising a family or have become more established in life, it doesn't mean you are missing out in life by staying in Toronto.

The most important thing is, you are doing something that you think is right and is best for yourself. Whether you choose Vancouver or Toronto, as long as it is an informed, rational, and conscious decision, it is going to be a good decision.

As an additional note, I don't think the considerations should be limited to just Toronto and Vancouver. Ottawa and Montreal should also be added to this list of considerations, especially if you have some basic background in French. Calgary/Edmonton are also 2 vibrant cities that have a lot to offer (including higher salaries in a lot of cases). Winnipeg, Halifax and lots of other cities have their own charms as well. And then there is always the US.

There is no end to the list of options that are available. Don't be afraid to explore them.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-22-2013, 09:58 AM   #28

^
When you're young, you should be taking risks because time is on your side if you fail. As you get older, acquire assets, and possibly a partner, it becomes harder to take risks.

When I left Vancouver at the age of 22, I learned more living away from home in less than a year than what I learned in my previous 21 years. That's why everyone when they're young should spend some time away from the city they grew up in.
Posted via RS Mobile
This post thanked by:
Old 07-22-2013, 10:08 AM   #29

^^ Of course I understand what you are saying, which is why I mentioned there is a certain degree of truth in heading out to explore the world and all the options available when you are young. But this is not an absolute golden rule everyone needs to follow.

In your case, could you not have moved out and stay in Vancouver at 22, and still learn nearly all the same thing as you did when you relocated? Of course you can. It's just that you didn't do it for one reason or another.

This is not an attack on you or a lecture on why you should have stayed in Vancouver. It's a good thing that you relocated and found the experience to be rewarding.

I'd say the most important take away from my post #27 is these few lines:
Quote:
If you know you enjoy the more laid back west coast life style, there is no shame in staying here in Vancouver even if you are young and have just started your working career. Conversely, just because you are raising a family or have become more established in life, it doesn't mean you are missing out in life by staying in Toronto.

The most important thing is, you are doing something that you think is right and is best for yourself. Whether you choose Vancouver or Toronto, as long as it is an informed, rational, and conscious decision, it is probably going to be a good decision.
(I added the "probably" there just now)
This post thanked by:
Old 07-22-2013, 10:47 AM   #30
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

the guv and the islands
Posted via RS Mobile
jaebomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:08 PM   #31
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Quote:
Originally Posted by willystyle View Post
I know one of the Facebook HR recruiters responsible for hiring for Facebook Vancouver and I was told that their main purpose here is not to hire your typical Canadian grads.

Exactly, unless you have a very specific set of skills or a very seasoned veteran in your field. No major US corporations will sponsor you. It's a waste of resources for them. You would be naive to believe that they will.

I know of 2 first hand contacts that got sponsored only because one was a Senior Project Manager for a major multi-national company, and the other was a Manager (Commercial Branch) for CIBC, both with 10+ years of experience with management experience. The latter is now a VP of Commercial Banking and is STILL in the process of obtaining her green card after 12 years.
Its not just the new grads, even IT consultants with 10+ years experience are coming back up to Canada because after their contract ends, their visa is not getting extended.

I am an IT recruiter here in Vancouver and I am experiencing a wave of Canadian IT consultants coming back up from the US.
KayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 02:22 PM   #32
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,438 Times in 981 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
In your case, could you not have moved out and stay in Vancouver at 22, and still learn nearly all the same thing as you did when you relocated? Of course you can. It's just that you didn't do it for one reason or another.
im going to say that there is nothing quite like moving away and actually adapting to a different surrounding and lifestyle. its not possible to have this unique type of experience by staying in one city. its not an issue of vancouver vs anywhere else, its just about living in more than one place during your adult life. honestly its priceless even if its short term (3 months minimum)
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-22-2013, 02:26 PM   #33
Prince of the Apes

Thanked 3,046 Times in 672 Posts
My only gripe with moving to a different city is I want to experience a different country rather than another province, and that requires a little more than just up and goin.
[23-08, 13:17] nabs i've gripped ice boy's shaft before
Quote:
[26-08, 13:50] Jesusjuice is this a sports car forum? why are there so many hondas?
bloodmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 02:35 PM   #34

^^
True, there is nothing quite like the need to force yourself to adapt to an entirely new environment. But that is why I said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
Making a conscious decision to relocate to a new place definitely makes for an enrichening experience. There is no doubt about that. All I am saying is, nobody needs to feel compelled to do so.

It is no different than the argument of working for the same employer vs change jobs every few years. You will certainly learn new things when you change jobs. But if you already like your current work place, there is no need to change jobs just for the sake of changing jobs.
This post thanked by:
Old 07-22-2013, 08:39 PM   #35
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodmack View Post
My only gripe with moving to a different city is I want to experience a different country rather than another province, and that requires a little more than just up and goin.
You should move to Montreal then. Out of the large metropolitan cities in Canada, I can safely say it's as different (also ass-backwards in some cases) as you can get without leaving the country.

Pros:
  • Great food
  • Amazing culture, music, festivals happening all the time
  • Shit doesn't close at 9pm
  • If you are a creative person, then this is the place for you
  • There is a lot of wealthy people here, but they don't flaunt it
  • Mostly friendly people
  • An abundance of good looking women
  • Easy access to transit, very walkable/bikeable city
  • Free outdoor ice hockey in the winter, LOL
  • Eastern Standard Time is awesome for sports and the stock market
  • Closer to fly to Europe and you can drive to NYC.

Cons:
  • Stupid language laws
  • Taxes suck (Income, Property, you name it, you can't complain in BC honestly)
  • Worst drivers in Canada
  • Worst roads compared to TO, VAN and OTT
  • Red tape at all levels of public services
  • Long, cold winters
  • Hot, humid summers
  • Corruption in the gov't
  • Pauline Marois and her band of dumbasses (PQ)

I still visit Vancouver every 6 months. I miss my close friends, my family/relatives, the fresh ocean air and the amazing scenery in BC. Time will tell if I move my family back to Vancouver, but life is short and we're glad that we made the trek out east so far. We might move again in 5 years to either TO or back in Vancouver.

I think Unit said it best, there's nothing like living in another city for awhile. The different environment, learning the idiosyncrasies of people, trying new things, etc. If anything, you learn to love Vancouver for what it is.

PS. I had to get used to not seeing so many exotic/luxury cars rolling around the streets once I moved to Montreal. LOL.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:53 PM   #36
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

^ I second Montreal being an awesome option, however I think it should be known to anyone considering a move there that if you don't speak French, the transition is gonna be a lot harder.
Infiniti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:07 AM   #37

I think Montreal would be a wonderful city to live in if you are under 30. I've always enjoyed when I've visited, but I think the politics would get me down after awhile. People complain about Mayor Moonbeam and his bike lanes, but Montreal is a world-class city with third-world infrastructure. The Mob basically runs city hall with its guaranteed access to construction contracts.

French isn't that hard of a language to learn (or reacquire), though you'll probably be hard-pressed to understand the Quebecois rednecks for a while.
Old 07-23-2013, 03:55 PM   #38
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,717 Times in 689 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdasco View Post
why are all the Asian girls in vancouver more hot / cute compared to TO??

watched KEYS TO THE VIP and they from toronto, outdoor clubs look huge there and chicks look easy to get, vancouver girls are probably more sheltered like arizona
Maybe it's because there aren't as many asian girls in Toronto? I'm not really sure what it is?

The clubs in Toronto are wicked. There are so many and everyone seems to be unique. Every time I go to a club, there is something unique about it.
They have a new club called Cabana that is supposed to mimic the day clubs in Las Vegas.

PeanutButter is offline   Reply With Quote