REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 07-23-2013, 04:33 PM   #1
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,169 Times in 1,551 Posts
Another person to admire: Drunk man swims across border

This guy is kinda awesome. What a hoser!

Quote:
The police, the port authority and his mom are all really mad at him, but John Morillo takes comfort in the fact that he now has bragging rights.

Morillo sparked an international rescue operation late Monday when he loaded up on about eight beers then jumped in the river and swam to Detroit, just to prove he could do it.

“If I’m going to be in the paper, I’d at least like them to say I actually made it, even though I got in trouble and everything,” Morillo, 47, said Tuesday. “I gotta pay fines and stuff. But I don’t want it to sound like I didn’t make it, because then my buddies are going to say ‘ha, ha, you didn’t make it.’ Because that was the whole thing, to show them I could do it.”

Shortly after getting out of jail Tuesday, Morillo admitted he’s “really stupid” and regrets causing a hassle for authorities, but added he didn’t expect it would cause such a stir.

Windsor police responded to the 1600 block of Riverside Drive around 11:30 p.m. Morillo’s neighbour, who wanted to witness his swim, called police about half an hour after she lost sight of him.

Police notified the Canadian and U.S. coast guards. Three boats and a helicopter were deployed to search the area. The U.S. coast guard found Morillo around 12:50 a.m., swimming on the Canadian side just west of the Hilton hotel.

Morillo is charged with being intoxicated in a public place. Police said the Windsor Port Authority was also investigating and would be contacting Transport Canada.

Morillo said Windsor’s harbour master told him he’ll likely be fined for swimming in a shipping channel, which could run anywhere from $5,000 to $25,000.

Authorities are also stressing that swimming in the Detroit River is “extremely dangerous” because of the strong undertow in the shipping channel. It’s also prohibited under Port Authority Operating Regulations. Harbour Master Peter Berry with the Windsor Port Authority couldn’t be reached for comment Tuesday.

“The harbour master was extremely mad at me,” said Morillo. “I don’t know, maybe they pulled him out of bed or something.”

Morillo said he’s also been barred from any city property on the waterfront. Besides that, he had his irate mother to deal with.

“She just hung up on me,” said Morillo. “She said ‘you’re just so stupid.’”

Morillo’s ill-planned exploit was actually years in the making. It started when he heard a story about his grandmother swimming from Amherstburg to Boblo Island. He figured that didn’t sound so difficult.

“I was drinking, but I wasn’t really drunk,” Morillo said Tuesday. “The thing is, I’ve been telling people I’m going to swim across the river for years and they’re like ‘yah, yah, blah, blah, you can’t make it.’ So, I don’t know, last night I just decided it was the time to go.”

He jumped in the river near Hiram Walker and swam to the Renaissance Center.

“When I got to the Renaissance Center I couldn’t find a way to get up onto the platform,” said Morillo. “Then some guy said ‘hey there’s a ladder over here.’ I climbed up the ladder, then people were asking to take their pictures with me. There was one woman, she said she was from Windsor and she thought I was crazy. She was right.”

Then he slipped back in the river for his return trip. It wasn’t long after that he realized his swim had attracted more attention than anticipated.

“As soon I saw the helicopters going by and the boats looking for me, I was like ‘oh, this is really stupid,’” said Morillo.

He said he was just about to climb back on shore in Windsor when officers came up in a boat and told him to get out of the water.

“I’m very sorry that I put those rescue people and the city workers and the coast guard out of their way for something so stupid,” said Morillo.

“I never should have done it. I’ve been telling people I could swim across the river for 20 years and they all laughed at me, and I finally did it. But I would not suggest anybody do it. There are giant fines for doing it, crossing the shipping lanes. It’s just really stupid and I apologize for all the people that had to go out looking for me.”
source: Drunk man swims across Detroit River (with video) | Windsor Star
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1drunk_swimmer-2.jpg (90.9 KB, 0 views)
Advertisement
Old 07-23-2013, 04:36 PM   #2
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,842 Times in 879 Posts
Why would I admire a 47 year old drunk trouble maker who is still scared of his mommy wasting tax payer money
EmperorIS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-23-2013, 04:38 PM   #3
#deephouse

Thanked 4,704 Times in 1,243 Posts
Not everyone is born an Emperor.
Old 07-23-2013, 04:40 PM   #4

But anyone can be knighted
Old 07-23-2013, 04:46 PM   #5
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,496 Times in 4,303 Posts
LOL What a fitting t-shirt to go with the story!

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-23-2013, 05:00 PM   #6
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
...wait, he made a return trip as well?

How wide is the river at that point? 1KM?
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-23-2013, 06:23 PM   #7
KO7
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

This man pretty much gives the middle-finger to "growing up".
KO7 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-23-2013, 07:19 PM   #8
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

I thought it would be a kid and not a 47 year old
Posted via RS Mobile
Tr1ll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:53 PM   #9
rsx
Lomac owned my ass at least once

Thanked 3,463 Times in 820 Posts
looks to be about 1000m one way.
rsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:08 PM   #10
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmperorIS View Post
Why would I admire a 47 year old drunk trouble maker who is still scared of his mommy wasting tax payer money
If drinking 8 beers one evening and doing something silly is deemed being a "drunk" then I think most of the population can be deemed being "drunks".
Old 07-23-2013, 08:34 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabAlmighty View Post
If drinking 8 beers one evening and doing something silly is deemed being a "drunk" then I think most of the population can be deemed being "drunks".
I wasn't the one that deemed him to be a drunk, the police did.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:50 PM   #12
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

No regrets. This probably the most spectacular thing this man will do in his life.
NKC ONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:10 PM   #13
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,532 Times in 479 Posts
...yolo
Yodamaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:37 PM   #14
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,616 Times in 899 Posts
"You just swam across the Detroit River! What are you going to do next?"

"I'M GOING TO DISNEYLAND!!!"

Last edited by Bouncing Bettys; 07-24-2013 at 03:11 AM.
Bouncing Bettys is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: