REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 07-24-2013, 11:13 AM   #26
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,382 Times in 3,464 Posts
What's the point of working when the government will provide every for you.
Advertisement
Old 07-24-2013, 11:17 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroK View Post
If us society can't help each other than whats the point to try to argue about this. The reason why they are called homeless is because they have no money .
Why don't they have any money? In Nanaimo every fast food joint and gas station is looking for workers. If they need money get a job. It's pretty easy these days.
Old 07-24-2013, 11:25 AM   #28
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
Why don't they have any money? In Nanaimo every fast food joint and gas station is looking for workers. If they need money get a job. It's pretty easy these days.
Not as easy as it sounds.

Would you hire someone sporting a beard they've been growing for two years, along with a smell that's probably been fermenting for half of that time? Not to mention the fact that there's probably no way of contacting that person should you need to change their shifts or anything.

There are places out there that provide a sort-of halfway house to help transients to shift from homelessness to a more stable form of living. Many provide a safe place to live, clean clothing to wear for a job, and other basics needed. It also creates a semi-permanent place to reach that person. However, these places are few and far between and plenty of people who are homeless have no desire to change their lives, even though they know it can provide a better life.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-24-2013, 11:32 AM   #29
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
No to mention substance abuse especially Meth.. really screws up your brain permanently.. don't expect people to show up on time even when they recover.. which is another barrier of low entry level jobs.. they are mostly shift work and service related.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
Not as easy as it sounds.

Would you hire someone sporting a beard they've been growing for two years, along with a smell that's probably been fermenting for half of that time? Not to mention the fact that there's probably no way of contacting that person should you need to change their shifts or anything.

There are places out there that provide a sort-of halfway house to help transients to shift from homelessness to a more stable form of living. Many provide a safe place to live, clean clothing to wear for a job, and other basics needed. It also creates a semi-permanent place to reach that person. However, these places are few and far between and plenty of people who are homeless have no desire to change their lives, even though they know it can provide a better life.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-24-2013, 12:09 PM   #30
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedBB6 View Post
With the ever increasing cost of transit and living within Vancouver, openly offering free transit to bums is a poor move.
This will just result in increased costs for all paying users and less seat space as well.

Also, if they offer free rides for the homeless you can expect to see an increase in crime as well. By making parts of the city more accessible for people who have little will cause other effects that are not directly linked to the transit system.

I see no point in offering this service. If you are homeless you really have no appointments to keep or places you need to be.....
Operating a bus costs approximately the same whether it's at capacity or empty, your argument that this will lead to increased costs for paying users has no merit.

Restricting the mobility of the homeless population only exacerbates problems, because it causes one specific area to cause a complete decline and adds to the difficulty of rising above ones' circumstances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock View Post
and they send him on his way as they know he has no address and is never going to pay the fine but I get raked over the coals...that's an issue.

And it happens because obviously he has given up on fitting in with society and has created his own, but the rest of us have not.

That's my frustration on these things.
You're arguing that Translink should attempt to get blood from a stone, essentially.

The homeless population has not given up on fitting in with society; they'd like to live in cozy apartments and work nine to fives, but it's outside they're capability as mentally ill and drug addicted persons. The sufferer of a mental illness is not at fault for their condition and a drug addicted person is little at fault for their condition, simply look to the percentage who've turned to addiction to escape memories of childhood abuse, neglect, and other traumas for which they do not have responsibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewie View Post
I have compassion for those that contribute to society
Posted via RS Mobile
The majority of the homeless population are mentally ill or addicts who're unable to contribute to society for medical reasons. A person unable to work due to medical reasons is certainly no different, but I'm sure you'd be compassionate towards them. Your lack of compassion is therefore unjustifiable. I'm speaking in quite broad terms here, of course, because narrowing medical reasons to something more precise is too much effort.

Quote:
What's the point of working when the government will provide every for you.
Welfare doesn't exactly provide the means for a comfortable existence.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-24-2013, 12:12 PM   #31
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post
The homeless population has not given up on fitting in with society; they'd like to live in cozy apartments and work nine to fives, but it's outside they're capability as mentally ill and drug addicted persons. The sufferer of a mental illness is not at fault for their condition and a drug addicted person is little at fault for their condition, simply look to the percentage who've turned to addiction to escape memories of childhood abuse, neglect, and other traumas for which they do not have responsibility.
Problem is, those who are currently working 9-5 can't afford to live in those cozy apartments as well.

How do you help others when you can't even help yourself?
Geoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:17 PM   #32
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Quote:
It is not easy these days....from experience because my wife has been looking for the past 3 months and she ain't homeless....

These people need a chance but most of them pick that lifestyle!
AeroK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:20 PM   #33
Wanna have a threesome?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoc View Post
Problem is, those who are currently working 9-5 can't afford to live in those cozy apartments as well.

How do you help others when you can't even help yourself?
A cozy apartment is not unaffordable unless one insists on living in a great location or owning; I digress, though.

The tax system is on tiers so that those who can't/can only afford to help themselves do not have to help others. And, allowing the homeless population to ride transit without paying fares is a negligible expense.

Quote:
If us society can't help each other than whats the point to try to argue about this. The reason why they are called homeless is because they have no money and live on the streets hence they can't afford to purchase transit passes. I have encountered many homeless people, sketchy ones, cool ones, quite ones, fucked up out of their mind ones...but all in all at the end of the day, they are still regular people that need some type of attention. So for people to bitch about free rides for homeless are ridiculous is just plain stupid. If you see a homeless man/women sitting on a bus, instead of thinking " Oh god, they are sticking up the place" why not say something different with a positive thought " Hi, how are you?" "How is your doing going?" or a plain "Hello" and keep to yourself. Thats my take on things.
Great post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tool001 View Post
funny u mention that,, cause

"Delhi Metro claimed to be one of only five metro systems in the world that operated at a profit without government subsidies."
The dominant factor in unsubsidized transit systems is population density and demographic, honestly.

Last edited by MindBomber; 07-24-2013 at 12:34 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 07-24-2013, 12:23 PM   #34
Better safe than Surrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur View Post
cool.

when this comes into effect imma gonna jump on the skytrain and not pay. when the transit faux police try and gimme a ticket, imma just gonna yell, "IM HOMELESS, BITCH".

try and prove me wrong.
Keep it up, keyboard warrior.
Old 07-24-2013, 12:49 PM   #35
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTG-ZR2 View Post
Keep it up, keyboard warrior.
oh sweet jesus, you know i am joking.

last time i stepped foot on public transit was about 6 years ago....

The irony of my comment was that this is not some new initiative translink or homeless advocates have just proposed...its always been there. The issue now is how to adopt the current policy into the new card program.

However, you can guarantee that idiots all around are going to read the headlined and adopt this mantra every time a transit cop attempts to give them a ticket for fare evasion.

The same thing is happening now in regards to the rental policies and pets. Do you know how many idiots I have that phone me and tell me I am not allowed to discriminate against pet owners anymore because they read a headline but failed to read the actual article.

Same shit, buddy. No need to assume I am that much of a douche bag.

Last edited by dinosaur; 07-24-2013 at 12:58 PM.
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-24-2013, 12:54 PM   #36
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,459 Times in 1,126 Posts
^ I think a lot of people would be humbled and take a more reasoned perspective if they actually used public transportation once in a while.
Posted via RS Mobile
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-24-2013, 01:02 PM   #37
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,454 Times in 813 Posts
The only reason people make such a fuss about this topic is because our system costs so much to: operate, and for the public to use.

So when the media brings this topic to light, (even though its been around for decades) people will obviously get pissed off. Why should someone who works 9-5 everyday, pay $180/month for a bus pass, when a homeless guy gets to ride for free.

The media should just about this topic.
Think of it this way: If nothing changes, it won't cost us an extra dime.
Yet if the government/Translink starts giving out free cards, that costs taxpayers money to make the cards, distribute them, keep track of them. It's just another dip into all our pockets.

When it comes to denying them the service, what good does it do for anybody? Who here has actually talked to these people anyway? I can gaurentee atleast 85% of you guys don't even acknowledge their existence.
Personally in the last few years, I've refused giving money to the homeless who ask for money. Yet I have bought food on multiple occasions for them, I've taken time out of my life to talk with them, and most aren't bad people.

Shit just happens.
[17-03, 09:23] Amuro Ray is it normal for my dick to have things growing on it?
Quote:
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna You guise are like diet coke and I am the mentos
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna Incredible. How easy it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I'm scared of spiders... When I see one I toss my cats at it
melloman is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-24-2013, 01:17 PM   #38
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,183 Times in 606 Posts
Quote:
The majority of the homeless population are mentally ill or addicts who're unable to contribute to society for medical reasons. A person unable to work due to medical reasons is certainly no different, but I'm sure you'd be compassionate towards them. Your lack of compassion is therefore unjustifiable. I'm speaking in quite broad terms here, of course, because narrowing medical reasons to something more precise is too much effort.

the amount of compassion I have for people is limited to my family and close friends. that's it.

ive got a medical condition which no longer allows me to drive, work, or go out on my own, I swallow 15 pills a day to control it, and I don't expect anyone I don't personally know to feel sorry for me about it either.

since im no longer allowed to drive until ive had brain surgery, does that mean I should get a free year round pass?
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-24-2013, 01:19 PM   #39

Quote:

Welfare doesn't exactly provide the means for a comfortable existence.
I have 10 renters on government assistance. If they can afford cigarettes, booze, drugs, and the illegal pet they can't be that hard off.

Quote:
It is not easy these days....from experience because my wife has been looking for the past 3 months and she ain't homeless....

These people need a chance but most of them pick that lifestyle!
Our gas station hiring but we are in Nanaimo. We have a very tough time finding reliable employee's.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:22 PM   #40
Head Moderator

Quote:
I have 10 renters on government assistance. If they can afford cigarettes, booze, drugs, and the illegal pet they can't be that hard off.
Government assistance =/= welfare
Old 07-24-2013, 01:23 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
^ I think a lot of people would be humbled and take a more reasoned perspective if they actually used public transportation once in a while.
Posted via RS Mobile
Who say's we haven't?
Old 07-24-2013, 01:31 PM   #42

Quote:
Government assistance =/= welfare
The cheques come from BC employment and assistance.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:32 PM   #43
Wanna have a threesome?

Quote:
I have compassion for those that contribute to society
Posted via RS Mobile
Quote:
the amount of compassion I have for people is limited to my family and close friends. that's it.

ive got a medical condition which no longer allows me to drive, work, or go out on my own, I swallow 15 pills a day to control it, and I don't expect anyone I don't personally know to feel sorry for me about it either.

since im no longer allowed to drive until ive had brain surgery, does that mean I should get a free year round pass?
You're contradicting yourself.

The outcomes of compassion are not universal.

You're unable to work, but I imagine you're receiving an income through medical leave or something comparable (as you continue to own two nice vehicles). In turn, your financial position and needs are different. On this basis, I do not believe you require a subsidized pass. You have different needs, however, and you're entitled to have them subsidized to an extent too.
This post thanked by:
Old 07-24-2013, 01:39 PM   #44
Head Moderator

Quote:
The cheques come from BC employment and assistance.
Lots of reasons for cheques to come from BCEA. Hell, I was on it for a while after my Medical EI ran out after I had surgery done many years ago. It doesn't mean I was on "welfare." It was a temporary disability payment while I was undergoing therapy in order to get back to work.

Just saying that because it comes from BCEA, it doesn't mean all these people are poor and penniless.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:43 PM   #45

Thanked 2,183 Times in 606 Posts
Okay, let me rephrase it then, I have compassion for those who work and pay taxes and contribute, if something happens to them, bummer. However, the amount of emotional compassion I have and would actually care about is limited to family and friends.

Anything outside of that, I could care less
Posted via RS Mobile
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-24-2013, 01:49 PM   #46

Quote:
Lots of reasons for cheques to come from BCEA. Hell, I was on it for a while after my Medical EI ran out after I had surgery done many years ago. It doesn't mean I was on "welfare." It was a temporary disability payment while I was undergoing therapy in order to get back to work.

Just saying that because it comes from BCEA, it doesn't mean all these people are poor and penniless.
The ones I deal with are.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:57 PM   #47
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,065 Times in 1,251 Posts
whoops, double post

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 01:58 PM   #48
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,065 Times in 1,251 Posts
WTB: social assistance compass cards $100

Guarantee that some will just jump the gates at skytrain stations. Buses, walk in through the back without taping in.

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 02:08 PM   #49

Quote:
Operating a bus costs approximately the same whether it's at capacity or empty, your argument that this will lead to increased costs for paying users has no merit.
Increased ridership will lead to needing more buses and more runs.
Old 07-24-2013, 02:14 PM   #50

Thanked 1,341 Times in 557 Posts
i wonder if i can file a class action lawsuit against translink for discrimination...

i get a fine for not paying and homeless guy next to me gets away scot-free? laws/bylaws should apply to everybody equally, no matter their social status
PiuYi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: