REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 07-24-2013, 02:27 PM   #51
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,183 Times in 606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yray View Post
WTB: social assistance compass cards $100

Guarantee that some will just jump the gates at skytrain stations. Buses, walk in through the back without taping in.
of course they'll sell them.

college kids sell their u-pass things or whatever they are non stop, wtf is stopping a homeless man doing the same and making a few quick bucks.

only difference is that the homeless man/woman will probably claim they had it stolen or they were mugged and they'll just be given a new one....and probably sell it again..
Advertisement
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 02:28 PM   #52
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewie View Post
Okay, let me rephrase it then, I have compassion for those who work and pay taxes and contribute, if something happens to them, bummer. However, the amount of emotional compassion I have and would actually care about is limited to family and friends.

Anything outside of that, I could care less
Posted via RS Mobile
You're stating your own moral position.

Your moral position is erroneous, because you'd not accept it applied to yourself.

You argue those who do not work and contribute are not deserving of compassion.

You, yourself, however, do not work and contribute (very justifiably).

You, therefore, are arguing you're among those not entitled to compassion.

And, as such should not be entitled to BCEA benefits should your current income source expire while you're still unable to work and contribute, regardless of the potential consequences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
Increased ridership will lead to needing more buses and more runs.
Firstly, there's no increase in ridership; this is a continuation of a preexisting policy.

Secondly, the proportion of the ridership that is homeless is not sufficient that it would ever require increased runs.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-24-2013, 03:22 PM   #53

my god...what are you a damn psychologist or something, taking everything I say and interpreting it? youd make a great lawyer

its like your worse than one of those people who look at a picture of andy warhols Campbell soup can in a museum and say "look how the light shines on that part, it signifies the brightness in the world, while that section is so dark that it represents all the bad in this world"....NO...its a damn picture. theres no in depth meaning to it.

those who are still on a god damn payroll, people who have minor set backs in life, people planning on returning to work and actually do, they pay their taxes, pay for transit, a mortgage and groceries. if I hear a story of someone whos in that situation where they hit the gutter, my response would be "sucks to hear, but oh well, its a bummer".

im saying I don't have compassion for homeless people

my position isn't wrong because I don't apply it to myself. I have a job, I pay my taxes I contribute to society. if I was some lazy guy living in my parents basement on disability or ei and refused to get a job simply for the fact that I don't have to cause im being given free money, THEN I would be applying it to myself and calling myself a lazy prick who doesn't deserve compassion.

you show me a homeless man whos willing to clean up the city he lives in and contribute in a way that no other bum does(collecting pop bottles doesn't count). ill give him the most basic form of compassion that I would give others like I said in the previous paragraph. if your bringing a homeless man who sits on a corner begging for money just to use it to shoot up, then no, I could care less if something happened to him. no compassion what so ever.

show me how I do not work/contribute to society? I pay my taxes, I volunteer as a medic wherever possible, and I donate blood when I can. got something else I can do that a dr would let me, bring it to me and i'll gladly volunteer and pull my weight. im not asking for your compassion, I don't ask for any compassion from anyone I don't know, if they have it for me, that's their choice.

im on sick leave and im in a daaaamn good union that would prevent my income source from ever expiring. if I cant do my job, its their job to accommodate me to a job I can do. I still have my job waiting for me when I return, I visit my work all the time just to say hi. I plan on returning to work the day after surgery if drs would let me

Last edited by stewie; 07-24-2013 at 03:42 PM.
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-24-2013, 03:56 PM   #54
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
This thread have turn into nromal people VS homeless......
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 04:15 PM   #55
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
Quote:
That is a REALLY bold statement.

There are a plethora of homeless people all with different background and different reasons for being homeless.

I dig it....I have frustrations with the DTES and the homeless population myself, but lacking compassion for the entire population of homeless people is pretty fucking irrational.

Lack compassion for murderers...lack compassion for pedophiles...lack compassion for abusers. Don't lack compassion for the mentally ill who were kicked out of Riverview when it closed...the single mother who left an abusive relationship...the teenager who ran away from an abuser.

Come on, dude....blanket statements like that just make you look naive.

Last edited by dinosaur; 07-24-2013 at 04:36 PM.
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-24-2013, 04:30 PM   #56
I subscribe to Revscene

Ive only read some of this thread... but Canada, as it likes to represent it self to the rest of the world, is just a facade.
Its pretty telling when the lowest of the lowest in the class structure of this country are perceived as a threat if given free access to public transportation.
jasonturbo & westopher in the election thread
http://www.revscene.net/forums/70467...ml#post8668948
http://www.revscene.net/forums/70467...ml#post8667115
Real news
www.tinyurl.com/kpg44bc
CharlesInCharge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 05:51 PM   #57
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,382 Times in 3,464 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesInCharge View Post
Ive only read some of this thread... but Canada, as it likes to represent it self to the rest of the world, is just a facade.
Its pretty telling when the lowest of the lowest in the class structure of this country are perceived as a threat if given free access to public transportation.
Why don't you pay for there transit?
Old 07-24-2013, 06:29 PM   #58
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Quote:
my god...what are you a damn psychologist or something, taking everything I say and interpreting it? youd make a great lawyer

its like your worse than one of those people who look at a picture of andy warhols Campbell soup can in a museum and say "look how the light shines on that part, it signifies the brightness in the world, while that section is so dark that it represents all the bad in this world"....NO...its a damn picture. theres no in depth meaning to it.

those who are still on a god damn payroll, people who have minor set backs in life, people planning on returning to work and actually do, they pay their taxes, pay for transit, a mortgage and groceries. if I hear a story of someone whos in that situation where they hit the gutter, my response would be "sucks to hear, but oh well, its a bummer".

my position isn't wrong because I don't apply it to myself. I have a job, I pay my taxes I contribute to society. if I was some lazy guy living in my parents basement on disability or ei and refused to get a job simply for the fact that I don't have to cause im being given free money, THEN I would be applying it to myself and calling myself a lazy prick who doesn't deserve compassion.

you show me a homeless man whos willing to clean up the city he lives in and contribute in a way that no other bum does(collecting pop bottles doesn't count). ill give him the most basic form of compassion that I would give others like I said in the previous paragraph. if your bringing a homeless man who sits on a corner begging for money just to use it to shoot up, then no, I could care less if something happened to him. no compassion what so ever.

show me how I do not work/contribute to society? I pay my taxes, I volunteer as a medic wherever possible, and I donate blood when I can. got something else I can do that a dr would let me, bring it to me and i'll gladly volunteer and pull my weight. im not asking for your compassion, I don't ask for any compassion from anyone I don't know, if they have it for me, that's their choice.

im on sick leave and im in a daaaamn good union that would prevent my income source from ever expiring. if I cant do my job, its their job to accommodate me to a job I can do. I still have my job waiting for me when I return, I visit my work all the time just to say hi. I plan on returning to work the day after surgery if drs would let me
I don't care for Warhol, but I do exactly that with artwork which I do enjoy. In fact, I was at the VAG just last night.

Your position remains erroneous, because you're unable to demonstrate a difference in fault between a homeless person suffering from a mental illness and yourself suffering from a physical illness. Were you not so fortunate to be a union member, would your physical illness not put you in a similar position to that faced by a mentally ill homeless person?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiuYi View Post
i wonder if i can file a class action lawsuit against translink for discrimination...

i get a fine for not paying and homeless guy next to me gets away scot-free? laws/bylaws should apply to everybody equally, no matter their social status
You want Translink to operate efficiently, correct?

Not issuing and attempting to collect on tickets that are impossible to collect on is efficient operation.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-24-2013, 06:38 PM   #59
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,380 Times in 3,906 Posts
When I was younger I took transit quite often but I've only had one instance, that i can remember to do this day, where BO was unbearable and yes it was from a homeless person but I never ever thought that he shouldn't be allowed on the bus

I've had experiences where the bus driver wouldn't allow the homeless on the bus or would only take them for 1 stop, and even as a child I felt this was wrong and that view has never changed

The person is already down on their luck and in some cases they have mobility issues give em a break let them hitch a ride it's public transit after all (public transit imo should be free for everyone btw)

And its not as if the homeless are always asking to take transit for free there are those who pay too (at least from my experiences those decades ago)

Last edited by StylinRed; 07-24-2013 at 06:48 PM.
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 06:39 PM   #60
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Why don't you pay for there transit?
If Translink was really a private company not connected to the Crown corporation, tell me why they arent paying a fee for using our roads, big buses (specially ones running electricity with all the wires over the streets) and skytrains?
Obviously there is no accountability on how much people are putting into those machine slots... this company will always increase prices no matter what... it keeps people deep in the rat race and the ones not taking buses or trains, taxed through inflated gas prices.

Maybe part of your fear is that this will give some homeless a helping hand in getting a better job where one day a former, but younger bum will take your job.
Real news
www.tinyurl.com/kpg44bc
Old 07-24-2013, 06:48 PM   #61

Quote:
If Translink was really a private company not connected to the Crown corporation, tell me why they arent paying a fee for using our roads, big buses (specially ones running electricity with all the wires over the streets) and skytrains?
Obviously there is no accountability on how much people are putting into those machine slots... this company will always increase prices no matter what... it keeps people deep in the rat race and the ones not taking buses or trains, taxed through inflated gas prices.

Maybe part of your fear is that this will give some homeless a helping hand in getting a better job where one day a former, but younger bum will take your job.
WTF has any of that have to do with you helping the homeless? Do you do any volunteer work at all? whens the last time you have helped a homeless person?

I'm not afraid of losing my job I am actually hiring. If you know anyone that wants a job let me know. I can also get them a place to stay.
Old 07-24-2013, 07:02 PM   #62
I subscribe to Revscene

You asked me to pay for their transit fee... if its money you're concerned about, its better you learn how the system works before wanting the poorest to pay transit.

No I havent helped any homeless, just because you have doesnt make your position right.
Real news
www.tinyurl.com/kpg44bc
Old 07-24-2013, 07:16 PM   #63

Quote:
You asked me to pay for their transit fee... if its money you're concerned about, its better you learn how the system works before wanting the poorest to pay transit.

No I havent helped any homeless, just because you have doesnt make your position right.
So you don't care about the homeless?
Old 07-24-2013, 07:20 PM   #64
I subscribe to Revscene

Im almost homeless myself homeboy

And seeing these corporations further encroach the market and with governments running housing crash scams... I think Canadians are only going to work harder to live a decent life and feed on processed nutrition-less food.
Real news
www.tinyurl.com/kpg44bc

Last edited by CharlesInCharge; 07-24-2013 at 08:08 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-24-2013, 07:27 PM   #65

Quote:
work harder
Maybe yo can tell that to the homeless.

My problem is you got hard working people barley making ends meet having to pay more for transit every year but Joe crack head gets to ride for free.
Old 07-24-2013, 07:55 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post

Your position remains erroneous, because you're unable to demonstrate a difference in fault between a homeless person suffering from a mental illness and yourself suffering from a physical illness. Were you not so fortunate to be a union member, would your physical illness not put you in a similar position to that faced by a mentally ill homeless
You want Translink to operate efficiently, correct?

No, it wouldn't. I'm currently not working because its not safe for me to use chain saws, cut off saws, jack hammers, grinders, and back hoes while working unattended in water. Epilepsy's a bitch, I love working outdoors, but I can always work an office job with epilepsy.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 07-24-2013, 08:00 PM   #67
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Maybe yo can tell that to the homeless.

My problem is you got hard working people barley making ends meet having to pay more for transit every year but Joe crack head gets to ride for free.
Im sure none of us have experienced the mental anguish a really poor person constantly has not having a permanent shelter to always call home.
That goes with us to, if you dont pay your mortgage or even if you own a house, not paying your property tax, the system will come with police men and kick you out.

We are in a position where you can A: try to ride the welfare system, but with that goes your life expediency... and its not great at all... Im sure you meeting people like this know first hand.

Or we can B: work hard and try to scrap together a decent life in this unpredictable environment

or C: get out of this system, leaving loved ones behind, for a better government.

Unless you can re-brand, invert, or import something to make you lots of money, being your own business man, you have it made.
Real news
www.tinyurl.com/kpg44bc
Old 07-24-2013, 08:21 PM   #68
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,803 Times in 3,899 Posts
what about this:
every time a homelessness person steps on the bus they should take a vote from the passengers...quick show of hands if we should allow them on or not.
and I'm assuming they have all the time in the world and can get to places strictly by walking/bussing...so seabus/skytrain/canada line/westcoast express is off limits.

semi srs
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:42 PM   #69
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
would there be a re-vote at every stop when new passengers get on?
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:55 PM   #70
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
I wouldn't invite a homeless person into my car. I wouldn't sit down next to them in the streets. So why would I want to sit next to one on a bus or the train? Good thing I drive.

And where are they going anyways? Not like they're going to work.
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-24-2013, 09:16 PM   #71
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

On their way to jack all your shit
wingies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:25 PM   #72
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Quote:
I have 10 renters on government assistance. If they can afford cigarettes, booze, drugs, and the illegal pet they can't be that hard off.
I feel for the phone calls you must get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
Government assistance =/= welfare
I get that this thread is a bit of a stage for a few people, but I'm being honest here...there isn't as much as a difference as you think.

I know of a few great stories of people turning to the broader "government assistance" to get through some bad times. They've managed to pull some shit together and move on in their lives.

I think its great, and for these people, I will do anything in my power to make for a good home for them if I have a unit available.

Problem is, you can never quite always tell them apart from the self-entitled fuckwad that thinks the world owes them. They smoke, they drink and god help you if your apartment that you are renting can't honestly be described as "opulent". Think they know how to clean? no. Maintain a decent home? no. Cigarette burns in your carpet, oh sweet jesus yes! I think they honestly do that the first night they move in...I give up on cigarette burns being accidental. They fucking do it just because they can.

I tried man. Had a girl move in. She was young, but I had an apartment full of people telling me they had her back.

When she moved and the damages were up around $1000, the aunt that was running the show tried to tell me that this was was the $400 security deposit was for. Do that math. Apparently in apartment world we pay 40 cents on the dollar.

Went to tenancy branch. Won.
Went to small claims...had to serve the papers. Went in person and got called several nice names.

I finally had a check in my hand for $750 the next day after I sent a process server to serve them at 6am. One year later.

These are the fuckers that ruin it for all the nice people that I'd love to help. I'm sure some of them are good...but there are just too many shit ones.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:27 PM   #73

ronin - exactly.

majority of us don't take public transportation, why would we care.

but since im a complete asshole for showing no compassion towards them, and some of you guys seem to be saints....how much compassion do you have for them? are you willing to walk down a street with me, let me pick one out of a group? you can ask him to come back to your house, have a meal, clean himself up, shit shower shave the works, let him have a comfortable sleep and in the morning let him be on his way with 50$ in his pocket.

like ronin said, you wouldn't voluntarily sit down beside them on the street, and on a packed bus im sure you would be less than happy if the only seat left on the bus was beside you, and jimmy the crack head comes sitting beside you smelling of piss and alcohol while fucked outta his mind slurring at you and saying random things at you. how would you feel then? would you get up and stand near the door as if you were ready to get off? or stay there and ignore him until he leaves while his piss stained clothes rub all over your nice suit/dress/jeans? better yet, what if your on your way to an interview?? if you get up your no better than me. you may have compassion for them but not when it directly affects you.

what do you say when you show up to an interview/date/work and you have to explain to people "oh sorry, I sat beside a homeless man for half an hour on my way". highly unlikely, you'd do the same thing I would, get up and move.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:31 PM   #74
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur View Post
That is a REALLY bold statement.

There are a plethora of homeless people all with different background and different reasons for being homeless.

I dig it....I have frustrations with the DTES and the homeless population myself, but lacking compassion for the entire population of homeless people is pretty fucking irrational.

Lack compassion for murderers...lack compassion for pedophiles...lack compassion for abusers. Don't lack compassion for the mentally ill who were kicked out of Riverview when it closed...the single mother who left an abusive relationship...the teenager who ran away from an abuser.

Come on, dude....blanket statements like that just make you look naive.
Just to add...what you are really saying is you lack compassion for all those that didn't have your privileged upbringing.

Daddy wasn't a drinker? Theirs did heroin. Sucks to be them.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:32 PM   #75
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,803 Times in 3,899 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
I wouldn't invite a homeless person into my car. I wouldn't sit down next to them in the streets. So why would I want to sit next to one on a bus or the train? Good thing I drive.
bus is a public space
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote