REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Food & Fine Dining

Food & Fine Dining Hungry? Come on down to Wings - Fun, Food and Drinks.
Top Restaurants in town? Got a good recipe to share? Share culinary info or post up photos of your delicious dish. #revsceneVLS

Old 05-04-2012, 08:09 PM   #201
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsx View Post
Food bloggers are as annoying as people constantly posting instagram pictures of their food. Is it me or is taste relative? The only real thing they can have any objective opinion on is service, pricing and parking; the rest is subjective.

Edit: The only real opinions I care about are people who actually know how to cook. Civilians who know how to real food (not just pasta and steaks) and chefs.
Food blogging is the same as anything else. It's opinion. You're free to agree or disagree.

However, lots of good food bloggers give lots of information that isn't subjective. Is a medium rare steak medium rare? How long does it take to get service? Do they take reservations? Plus you usually get pictures/video from real life people rather than the restaurant's website...and if you're like me, you absolutely HATE how most restaurants do websites with stupid flash movies, loud lounge music and you have to dig through mountains of shit just to find their menus which don't have f'n prices on them.

And hey, if food blogging annoys you, you don't have to read. No one is pulling a Clockwork Orange on you. That just tells me you're annoying yourself on purpose, you masochist weirdo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackZRoadster View Post
I find all these bloggers don't know anything about good food, more like they write on cheap food.
I find that anyone that says something like this doesn't know what good food is.
Advertisement
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-04-2012, 09:19 PM   #202
Hyde's Understudy

^i know tonnes of good food, but i'm not a good writer nor am i creative.

my post wasnt directed at you, but in general.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:40 PM   #203
resident Oil Guru

Thanked 10,457 Times in 1,794 Posts
Here's how you determine whether food is good or not. You remove price from the equation. Good food comes cheap, or expensive, and bad food is available in both.
LiquidTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:42 PM   #204
resident Oil Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsx View Post
Edit: The only real opinions I care about are people who actually know how to cook. Civilians who know how to real food (not just pasta and steaks) and chefs.
Cool. But I gotta ask, do you take the same approach toward people who review cars who don't design them, or movie reviewers who can't direct films?
Old 05-04-2012, 09:43 PM   #205
Hyde's Understudy

^ I agree with you, but most good food (michelin star(s)) are expensive.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:45 PM   #206
resident Oil Guru

Quote:
^ I agree with you, but most good food (michelin star(s)) are expensive.
How do you define 'good' food? I know a TON of good food that isn't 'Michelin Star' rated. Heck, there aren't even any Michelin Star restaurants in Canada. Does that mean there isn't good food in vancouver?
Old 05-04-2012, 09:54 PM   #207
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Everyone has different tastes. Curry can taste like shit to someone and amazing to others.

"Good food", to me, is food that stands out from the rest of its kind. Be it pho, dim sums, steak houses, if its better than the rest I've eaten, it's good food to me. Sure all the rest tastes good, just not AS good. And if a group of people agree, then it just means you're not alone when you say its good.
Phozy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:54 PM   #208
Hyde's Understudy

I'm not saying all good food must be Michelin star, I'm just using it as an example.

Quality food will always be expensive.
BlackZRoadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:00 PM   #209
resident Oil Guru

Quote:
I'm not saying all good food must be Michelin star, I'm just using it as an example.

Chicago Hot Dog, $2.50. Many agree one of the best hot dogs in Chicago.

Quality food doesn't mean fine dining. A lot of home cooked food is pretty quality, ie. mom's cooking. Food made with love usually is good quality also.

Just my two cents.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-04-2012, 11:22 PM   #210
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,091 Times in 773 Posts
I think the best thing to eat in vancouver is the nammer subs from hung ting. Seriously.
Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:25 PM   #211
resident Oil Guru

^ Do you mean Tung Hing?
Old 05-04-2012, 11:27 PM   #212
...in the world.

Quote:

That's exactly what I'm talking about. Price has no bearing on whether food is good or not. None. One of the best steaks I've ever had in my life was $5, bought on the streets of Frankfurt from a non-descript tent during the 2006 World Cup. Not near the stadium...in the business district. Seriously. Amazing fries as well. My friends and I regard that as one of the highlights of our backpacking trip.

On the flip side, I've had steaks that claim to be raised on grass that only grows on the moon, dry aged for an eternity and cost a fortune that...well, just weren't that good.

It doesn't matter what food costs. It just matters how it tastes.
Old 05-05-2012, 12:01 AM   #213
Hyde's Understudy

I like o-toro and I can't find a place that serves it cheap. I like steaks aged 90-120 days and those come at a premium. I like wagyu and it's not cheap.

I love ikura, uni, geoduck, hamachi, Madai sushi but can't find any place that serves it cheap and good at the same time. Steamed rock cod is one of my favorite cooked fish dishes, and most restaurants serve it at $25 a pound.

Of course I also love cheap food like poutine, fried chicken , pho and what not. The last time I read a blogger talk about red wagon, I went there to try it and was hugely disappointed. I find the "hole in the wall" places are really subjective. I don't like phom penh and ppl praise it like no tomorrow. For me personally, I like to read about fancy specialty restaurants and go try them if they are good.
Are there any bloggers in Vancouver that focus mostly on fine dining?
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-05-2012, 12:14 AM   #214
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,815 Times in 8,189 Posts
Strong user status
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-05-2012, 12:36 AM   #215
...in the world.

I remember I gave him that awhile back but I don't remember what for.

But I guess this is a pretty good example.
Old 05-05-2012, 12:43 AM   #216
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Quote:
I like o-toro and I can't find a place that serves it cheap. I like steaks aged 90-120 days and those come at a premium. I like wagyu and it's not cheap.

I love ikura, uni, geoduck, hamachi, Madai sushi but can't find any place that serves it cheap and good at the same time. Steamed rock cod is one of my favorite cooked fish dishes, and most restaurants serve it at $25 a pound.

Of course I also love cheap food like poutine, fried chicken , pho and what not. The last time I read a blogger talk about red wagon, I went there to try it and was hugely disappointed. I find the "hole in the wall" places are really subjective. I don't like phom penh and ppl praise it like no tomorrow. For me personally, I like to read about fancy specialty restaurants and go try them if they are good.
In other words, the cost of the ingredients used to prepare a dish is of greater importance than the preparation in your assessment of it.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 01:11 AM   #217
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,310 Times in 1,777 Posts
Quote:

Ah, yes, quite.

Hmm, rather.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 06:42 AM   #218
"Entertainment" mod.

Thanked 3,428 Times in 1,049 Posts
For me it's a balance between food being filling and overall cost. I can't justify paying $100 for a 2-inch by 2-inch piece of space grass-fed steak, and three small pieces of vegetables grown in the Himalayas and have to go to McDonalds after the meal because I was still hungry (This is why I hate shows like Top Chef, where they consider a tiny-ass plate of food a "complete dish"). On the other hand, I'd pay $20 for a decent steak, with a sizable portion of greens on the side, and leave satisfied.
Old 05-05-2012, 07:10 AM   #219
Hyde's Understudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post
In other words, the cost of the ingredients used to prepare a dish is of greater importance than the preparation in your assessment of it.
It's not the cost of the ingredients that makes the dish good, but the quality of the ingredient does play a huge part in it.

I've steamed fresh rock cod and pan fried Australian wagyu at home. Both were easy to make but it was so damn good. Better than steak I've had at Hy's.
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-05-2012, 11:12 AM   #220
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:

Do you use $100 bills to wipe your ass and your face too? This thread isn't about you. Nobody cares

2013 Lexus IS350 F-Sport (Melbourne)
too_slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 01:50 PM   #221
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
i suggest you watch a few episodes of anthony bourdaine's no reservations. it will prove that quality food can be dirt cheap or incredibly expensive. like many products, food pricing is determine by cost of goods and moreso, marketing. Jordan sneakers are made in a chinese factory for cheap, but cost $250+ and regarded by many sneaker freaks as the only shoes to collect.
drunkrussian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 02:46 PM   #222
Hyde's Understudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by too_slow View Post
Do you use $100 bills to wipe your ass and your face too? This thread isn't about you. Nobody cares
Still hurt over something?
Old 05-05-2012, 03:25 PM   #223
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Still hurt over something?
Yeah, that you have to resort to scamming people to pay for your leased toys.
Stay classy, Philip.

(too bad that thread got black-holed in the FC..)

2013 Lexus IS350 F-Sport (Melbourne)
too_slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 04:00 PM   #224
2013, 2016, 2017 & 2018 NHL Fantasy RS1 Champion

Thanked 1,245 Times in 575 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by too_slow View Post
Yeah, that you have to resort to scamming people to pay for your leased toys.
Stay classy, Philip.

(too bad that thread got black-holed in the FC..)
HonestTea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 04:40 PM   #225
...in the world.

Congratulations, BlackZRoadster. You've successfully found the one and only wrong answer for "What makes food good?"