REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Food & Fine Dining

Food & Fine Dining Hungry? Come on down to Wings - Fun, Food and Drinks.
Top Restaurants in town? Got a good recipe to share? Share culinary info or post up photos of your delicious dish. #revsceneVLS

Old 06-24-2012, 12:53 AM   #426
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
I've read most all the posts and comments, and like I said, I take no issue with the constructive comments. Lindsay should, most definitely, have ordered sashimi alongside rolls at Ichiro.

A number of the posts have been accompanied by a plethora of really stupid comments though. The stipend one, the one about other Chinese bakeries being offended that she chose to review Kam Do, the complaints that the farmers market, cup cake place, and this bakery not being sit down restaurants, really don't make any sense. Most people who love food, love farmers markets. Cup cake places have become a huge part of food culture, which although I'm not a fan of them, a significant percentage of people are. The bakery, although it has some inaccuracies, which Lindsay attributes to the language barrier, is a good review in concept.

A few of Lindsay's post have been pretty solid and a few a bit lacking, from a mature crowd I would expect compliments to follow the good posts and constructive criticisms to follow the lacking ones. For example, I very much enjoyed reading her post on Suhang, but found some of the descriptions of the dishes of 4 Stones Vegetarian a bit to brief. It's still very early, there are many more days to come, I haven't decided if she's the wrong choice as of yet.
Advertisement
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 12:55 AM   #427
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Her not being a Richmond resident is irrelevant. She is local (enough) and given her role and background she should have no problems getting assistance and tips from folks familiar with Richmond.

The angle of Tourism Richmond seems to have been to select the candidate who would best represent what a typical tourist coming to Richmond may want to visit (which would likely be a mix of hidden gems, mainstream favourites and everything in between). Heck, they were willing to consider out of province candidates so seemingly being a Richmond local didn't have any additional advantage over the competition. I can't imagine a visitor coming to Richmond wanting to eat only at dingy, asian food establishments at every meal.

While I don't exactly agree with some of her choices thus far she does have 365 different restaurants (or cafes, bakeries, farm markets) to encounter so there is bound to be some filler. I do sense that there is a lack of preparation and thought put into her writing which equates to a lot of banter leading up to the experience as opposed to the actual experience but as I just finished glossing over the current post she has made noticeable strides.

"Harvey Belafonte ain't black. He's just a good looking white guy dipped in caramel. " - Archie Bunker
Bonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 12:58 AM   #428
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,065 Times in 1,251 Posts
so much trolling
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 08:00 PM   #429
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Thanked 11,193 Times in 2,275 Posts
its not really trolling
I'll be honest, I have no problem if she makes mistakes, which she did, but she doesn't exactly acknowledge this

and thats where the problem lies
Tim Budong is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-25-2012, 06:52 AM   #430
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

I thought she changed after writing day 14 and 15 from reading people's comment, but I guess not. She's Hopeless
i-VTEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 12:06 PM   #431
Wanna have a threesome?

Quote:
Originally Posted by d87c View Post
I thought she changed after writing day 14 and 15 from reading people's comment, but I guess not. She's Hopeless
What issue do you take with the latest blog post?

Lindsay had a dish wish 1000 year eggs again, which I expect would appease those demanding more Asian cuisine.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:30 PM   #432

Tourism Richmond finally stepped up and said:

In response to the comments we have seen regarding the expectations of the blog and Lindsay, we would like to provide some clarity and our viewpoint. Tourism Richmond and our Board of Directors completely support Lindsay and her blog. She is discovering Richmond exactly as we had intended; as a tourist. Because some of the most memorable food experiences are often the simplest ones, we believe that not every meal needs to be a standard sit-down dinner. This blog is not meant to be a restaurant review, nor did we ever intend for the selected blogger to be an expert in the foods of every culture, but rather it is meant to tell Richmond’s story through food which includes posts about people, places, events and activities that make our city special. Lindsay has been actively engaging with our community – both in person and online through social media – and meeting the people who live, work and play in Richmond.

Lindsay is discovering the diversity of eateries in Richmond, which only highlight our uniqueness. We are thrilled with the overall support and constructive comments she receives, and are working with Lindsay to improve the blog/posts as we go. This is not an easy job by any means, as any blogger will tell you. It takes time to create the fun, witty posts that Lindsay writes and we appreciate the hard work and passion she has put into the blog thus far.

At the same time, we will not tolerate the personal attacks that are directed at Lindsay and will be removing all malicious comments off the blog in the future. Furthermore, we will be seeking appropriate action against what are deemed to be threatening comments towards Lindsay.

Tracy Lakeman, CEO
Tourism Richmond
Old 06-25-2012, 12:44 PM   #433
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,091 Times in 773 Posts
white people
Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-25-2012, 01:05 PM   #434

Toruism Richmond, CEO just contradict to what she and her TR team's job description about 365 Dining.

"This blog is not meant to be a restaurant review"

http://365daysofdining.com/JobDescription.pdf

says:

"at least one dining experience per day at one of Richmond s 800+ restaurants"
"daily stipend for restaurant meals"

So now she is saying, Cafe & Bakery is ok~
Old 06-25-2012, 01:18 PM   #435
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,065 Times in 1,251 Posts
lolwut, she has never tried korean food?

But adding DQ in vancouver at the end of her post...
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 01:19 PM   #436
Wanna have a threesome?

Quote:
Toruism Richmond, CEO just contradict to what she and her TR team's job description about 365 Dining.

"This blog is not meant to be a restaurant review"

http://365daysofdining.com/JobDescription.pdf

says:

"at least one dining experience per day at one of Richmond s 800+ restaurants"
"daily stipend for restaurant meals"

So now she is saying, Cafe & Bakery is ok~
By definition, a Cafe or Bakery is a restaurant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by merriam-websterDefinition of RESTAURANT
: a business establishment where meals or refreshments may be purchased
Restaurant - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

The statement adopts the definition of restaurant used by those criticizing the blog, which achieves clarity, narrowing it specifically to establishments serving meals which one may consider dinner worthy, confirming that the intent of blog is not to exclusively write on them.

Your criticisms are pretty weak, I'll remind you, Ronin wrote on a doughnutery (I love that word) recently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yray
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay
my first experience at a Korean BBQ restaurant
She's never tried Korean BBQ, not Korean food.
Old 06-25-2012, 01:21 PM   #437

Would Farmer's Market consider as a Restaurant?
Old 06-25-2012, 01:23 PM   #438
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
I'm really impressed that you guys are commenting with Revscene user names, so that it reflects really positively on RS.

Kudos!
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-25-2012, 01:27 PM   #439
Wanna have a threesome?

Quote:
Yes, by definition a Farmer's Market could be considered a restaurant, because prepared food is sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay
After noshing on a wood-fired pizza, bratwurst, and a cinnamon bun, we strolled around and picked up goods for later: a loaf of crusty sourdough, freshly-churned butter, carrots, and strawberries, and some signature Steveston tea for my mom. Crunchy, chewy, sweet, and real, it was all simple and extraordinary.
If you haven't attended the Farmer's Market in the past, I would highly recommend it.

Last edited by MindBomber; 06-25-2012 at 01:36 PM.
Old 06-25-2012, 01:32 PM   #440
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock View Post
I'm really impressed that you guys are commenting with Revscene user names, so that it reflects really positively on RS.

Kudos!
I think those are trolls.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-25-2012, 01:35 PM   #441
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meowjin View Post
I think those are trolls.
Yeah. That's my point.

Either: people on revscene are trying to start a comment flame war, which is really immature and comes across like nothing but sour grapes, OR people are doing it on your behalf using your usernames. Sadly, I'm inclined to believe the former.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-25-2012, 01:42 PM   #442
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
Quote:
I don't understand why people are making such a big deal about the farmer's market thing?

It is suppose to appeal to tourist, right? Tourists to Richmond? If I was spend a week in Richmond....or even if I had a layover at YVR for 5-6 hours, I would think about going to a Farmer's Market and buying some locally produced food for a picnic, etc.

Think about...grab some great fresh items and go and watch the planes land...or have a picnic at Minoru Park...or at a table along the river in Steveston...sounds good to me.
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 01:48 PM   #443
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur View Post
I don't understand why people are making such a big deal about the farmer's market thing?

It is suppose to appeal to tourist, right? Tourists to Richmond? If I was spend a week in Richmond....or even if I had a layover at YVR for 5-6 hours, I would think about going to a Farmer's Market and buying some locally produced food for a picnic, etc.

Think about...grab some great fresh items and go and watch the planes land...or have a picnic at Minoru Park...or at a table along the river in Steveston...sounds good to me.
no.

Just no.
Old 06-25-2012, 01:52 PM   #444
Wanna have a threesome?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meowjin View Post
no.

Just no.
Can you give any justification to that reasoning?
Old 06-25-2012, 02:13 PM   #445
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 1,320 Times in 331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yray View Post

But adding DQ in vancouver at the end of her post...
she didn't even talk about how the meat tasted
RacePace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:24 PM   #446
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
Those things aren't as fun as getting real food in Richmond. If I'm going to watch planes or something, I'm getting takeout from HK BBQ Master or something.

The best reason to do the bread, meat and cheese thing is because damned near every farm in the French or Italian countryside is going to be making just silly amazing things for a few euros. Many bakeries and cheese shops in Paris are decades or centuries old...and more importantly, buying artisan quality things like that cost next to nothing compared to dining at a restaurant. I've done it. My friends and I probably survived an entire week off nothing but baguettes and various cured meats and sausages while we backpacked in France. You can get great stuff anywhere. Of course there will be those places that have a thousand years or whatever of tradition that have lineups and high prices but you can go into just about any bakery that isn't some kind of franchise and they'll be little family owned operations baking fresh daily or a butcher that curates a collection of a hundred different hams.

Here is the exact opposite. You can get a delicious meal at a sit down restaurant for peanuts while if you search for a "special" bread or proscuitto or brie around here...well, most cured meats and fine cheeses are imported and expensive. There aren't many fresh breadmakers apart from Cobs. For example, a loaf of bread at that Romania Country Bread place in Steveston is $11!

...the same price as a rib eye steak, a pork chop, spaghetti, veggies, soup and a drink with tax and tip at a HK style cafe.

I f'n LOVE proscuitto, crusty bread, mustard and just about any cheese but we don't live in Provence or Tuscany. To me, those things aren't interesting enough by themselves here...and by that I mean, I'll still eat them but I don't know what I'd write about.
Why is it that the only food that should be eaten in Richmond is Asian food?

I'm just saying, I didn't think there was anything wrong with her going to the Farmer's Market....there is a lot more to Richmond than just sit-down restaurants serving balut eggs.
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:28 PM   #447
Survivor MOD

Thanked 1,623 Times in 577 Posts
theres a good greek restaurant in richmond too
T4RAWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:31 PM   #448
The Lone Wanderator

Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post
Can you give any justification to that reasoning?
To be fair, the last time I was in an airport on a 6 hour layover, I didn't want to leave the grounds to worry about not making it back for my flight. Plus I had to take my luggage with me, which made things awkward.

What did I do? I pulled out one of the novels I'd brought with me, found me a food court, and grabbed a quick snack 'cause I was starving (fucking Alaskan air). I very much doubt that anyone on a "6 hour layover" would be seriously interested in trekking out to the city and into a farmer's market for a nice relaxing lunch.

I'm not arguing the merits of that particular post, nor of the timbre of her general blog (although that "a tragic waste of plastic" thing about the pastries...yeesh), simply stating my reasons for agreeing with Meow on that one.
Graeme S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:32 PM   #449
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur View Post
Why is it that the only food that should be eaten in Richmond is Asian food?

I'm just saying, I didn't think there was anything wrong with her going to the Farmer's Market....there is a lot more to Richmond than just sit-down restaurants serving balut eggs.
My main issue is that I thought it was supposed to be about actual dining, not grub you grab at a stand or a deli or a booth and sit down somewhere to eat.

When you say wine and dine, you're thinking fancy restaurant. Not Farmer's Market.

I have nothing against hitting up a bakery for some grab 'n go pastries or the farmer's market for food, it's great food. I don't consider it dining, though.
RicePanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:40 PM   #450

one person said on the blog, cupcakes & bakery & farmer's market should be secondary to restaurant's primary reviews. If you were to split into 10 parts, 6or7 should be on restaurant while 3 or 4 can be about bakery or cup cakes or coffee shops. But atm some days she is turning those into 10 out of 10, which is a waste of 800+ restaurants in richmond and only 365 gets reviewed. Most of the restaurant are dying to get reviewed because its like free advertisement. But now, she is reviewing coffee shops, cupcakes store. It is just a waste to me thats all and unfair to the restaurants. My point of view