REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics

Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Silicon Valley.
Tips & tricks, tech support, home theatre, online gaming, reviews, latest news...

Old 07-31-2013, 10:01 AM   #1
Glorious Gaming PC Master Race

drive failure data recovery help needed.

ok so suddenly my storage drive failed.

it spins, no weird noises, but does not show up in windows, or reluctantly does.

BIOS shows the drive.

when it does show up in explorer, i cannot access it or pull up any menus like format/properties etc.

tried an external enclosure and it does the same. recovery software like Recova and Restorer 2000 or Seatools does nothing. they cannot even run, when trying to detect the drive, they hang.

It still under warranty and i have 90% backups but there's still some family photos i have not backed up in the last 2 months.

I'm trying the freezer trick as a last resort.

no, its not worth $500/hr to recover the data. if i could at least format the drive so windows can see it, recovery software might be able to help.

any ideas?>
Advertisement
Old 07-31-2013, 10:26 AM   #2
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,508 Times in 4,310 Posts
You are the only person on this planet I know who has had more hard drive failures than one can count with their fingers.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:29 AM   #3
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,310 Times in 1,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
You are the only person on this planet I know who has had more hard drive failures than one can count with their fingers.
Too much hentai does that to your hard drives.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-31-2013, 10:48 AM   #4
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,169 Times in 1,551 Posts
Try Spinrite. It's saved quite a few asses in my time using it.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:03 AM   #5

the main issues are when i try to access the drive, whatever app im running will freeze. the fucking drive is like Medusa.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:06 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
how many people do you know with as many drives as I do?

law of averages.
Old 07-31-2013, 01:06 PM   #7
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,045 Times in 419 Posts
I had the same issue a few months ago with a WD 3TB. Except mine doesn't even show on BIOS, and when I can get it to show in windows (plug HDD in while PC and windows in running), it's not accessible.

Tried every software there is, nothing works. The problem was bad sectors. A previous HDD I had, had a defected PCB board, which cannot be read by the PC, this was a seagate one.

Anyways, both times I had to do RMA. The WD one, they replaced with 2TB black caviar. You are not going to get any free data recovery from the manufacturer unless it's a recall for defect.
mr_chin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 02:31 PM   #8
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
I went to ME coz I had a drive like this.. they said there was a place that can do this in richmond is $$$$$$$$.. my 500gb drive was quoted $400-$500...
Old 07-31-2013, 02:55 PM   #9
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 1,536 Times in 427 Posts
i did this a LOOOONG while ago, and not sure if it will still work with current hard drives. and if my memory serves me right, it is ubuntu.

Recovering files from a Crashed Hard Drive using an Ubuntu Live CD - myfixlog.com
SoNaRWaVe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 03:28 PM   #10
Got MOD?

Try one of these:
Trinityhome : Blog - Latest news

SystemRescueCd

Although if the hard drive is physically having problems there's not much software can do. The freezer trick rarely works.

You should invest in some sorta autobackup process. I have everything important stored in 4 places. Desktop to server, server mirrored to 2nd drive, server to portable 2.5" USB.
My Feedback (50-0-0)

!MiKrofT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 03:19 PM   #11
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,508 Times in 4,310 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykopathik View Post
how many people do you know with as many drives as I do?

law of averages.
My post was tongue-in-cheeck but in all seriousness of your question - yes, I do.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 02:22 PM   #12

Thanked 1,192 Times in 481 Posts
Bumping this back up!

my USB drive has failed. when I go to plug it in, I get a prompt to format. I've been trying to boot from USB (another USB stick of course) and I keep getting the message to remove the USB and press enter when I go to start up the computer.
So what do you guys think is the problem here? Is it that I may have done the bootable USB stick improperly? Is it my BIOS settings?

I've been trying to follow the systemrescueCD link that was posted earlier.
SSM_DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 02:50 PM   #13
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,696 Times in 1,625 Posts
Wait, i don't get it - you plugged in USB stick A, and it prompts you to format it.

And when you try to boot from USB stick B, it tells you to remove USB and press enter?

Are you trying to recover the data from USB stick A? Or is your computer unbootable?
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 07:16 PM   #14

Thanked 1,192 Times in 481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by inv4zn View Post
Wait, i don't get it - you plugged in USB stick A, and it prompts you to format it.

And when you try to boot from USB stick B, it tells you to remove USB and press enter?

Are you trying to recover the data from USB stick A? Or is your computer unbootable?
let me clarify.

USB stick B tells me to remove USB and press enter when I change my bios settings to start from USB. I trying to start from USB stick B because that's what the steps say when trying to recover data from USB stick A.

Yes, I'm trying to recover data from USB stick A. My computer can boot Windows just fine, it's just that it won't boot whatever I put on the USB stick B as per the instructions from systemrescueCD

Hope that helps.
SSM_DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote