REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Shaming bad dog owners! (https://www.revscene.net/forums/686980-shaming-bad-dog-owners.html)

dinosaur 08-04-2013 05:53 PM

Shaming bad dog owners!

2 Attachment(s)
Grid and I were picking up some food for dinner and found that the owner of the car next to us had left her dog inside without even a crack of the window open. Car was there for a good 30 mins before the owner finally showed up and got an ear-full for me and a nasty note from another person.

Lady tried to tell me that her dog is fine in the heat.....as it was sitting there panting away. Poor thing.

Took some pics...maybe someone knows them and can let her and her daughter know what a fucking assholes they are. I told them multiple times....but they could use a few more.

Also, I figure I am not the only one to see this, so why not start a thread to shame these owners!

Attachment 18052

Attachment 18053

Inaii 08-04-2013 06:03 PM

RCMP has been encouraging people to call in things like this. I've heard of 3 separate occasions in the last couple days where they've responded and broken the dog out.

SkinnyPupp 08-04-2013 06:15 PM

Should have called the cops IMO

CorneringArtist 08-04-2013 06:16 PM

Cops are in that area almost constantly. Should've checked the nearby Tims.

dinosaur 08-04-2013 06:26 PM

I was going to call the police, but I was fearful the owners would come back and they would be gone by the time the police arrived.

I went back in to Pricemart and had them page the owners and waited for them. If they were not there within a few mins, I was going to call the police.

sdubfid 08-04-2013 06:38 PM

Cops say smash a window if you see child, animal in distress | News1130

tonyvu 08-04-2013 06:50 PM

Let me tell you, I will not hesitate to smash a window if I see a dog trapped inside a car for longer than a period of 30mins. Sitting inside a boiling car for more than 30mins is just plain torture for a dog. As humans we perspire to keep cool, dogs can not.

bing 08-04-2013 06:52 PM

How hard it is to leave a reasonable gap? or better yet, don't bring the pet along.

:fulloffuck:

Inaii 08-04-2013 06:53 PM

^or just leave pup at home where it's cool. If you're worried about them terrorizing the house, get them a crate.

StylinRed 08-04-2013 06:55 PM

yeah smash the window

make sure the car isn't running though if you do :)

if i have to pop in somewhere quick i use my remote start so the fans blowing and the windows are open a crack

donjalapeno 08-04-2013 07:03 PM

what a fucken hoe.

eurochevy 08-04-2013 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdubfid (Post 8294874)

Was about to post this, next time just smash the damn window

Gridlock 08-04-2013 07:59 PM

I'm not going to lie, I was kind of excited at the idea of window breaking.

Boom!

Free pass on vandalism. I'll go on the road with that on hot days-the Batman of dog rescue.

k3mps 08-04-2013 08:03 PM

I agree, should've called the cops or SPCA
Having them come and do something is a bigger wake up call than lecturing them

Yodamaster 08-04-2013 08:56 PM

I'd be tempted to break the window if I saw something like that. I'd just be worried about the glass hurting the dog, since tempered glass tends to explode, though I guess life is better than a couple of cuts.
If you're the kind of person that would intervene (or if you drive by deep water frequently), buy a purpose built glass tool, just one tap and it'll take out the glass safely (meant for escaping sinking cars).

The lack of responsibility with some people astounds me.

SkinnyPupp 08-04-2013 09:03 PM

BTW that doesn't mean you should go around breaking windows every time you see a dog in a car. They clearly say that it's excused when they are under duress.. IE passed out. If you see a dog in the car and it's not dying, call the police instead, and maybe keep an eye on it in case it does get worse.

rsx 08-04-2013 09:10 PM

Instead of smashing the glass, try prying it down too, even a few inches can buy time and allow for the authorities to get there.

Prolowtone 08-04-2013 09:14 PM

I carry a coat hanger and an aluminum rod in my truck.. i would jimmy the lock before smashing a window unless it was absolutely needed. i know that windows can be hard to replace but if the moment arrived there would be no hesitation

Jobo 08-04-2013 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prolowtone (Post 8294950)
I carry a coat hanger and an aluminum rod in my truck.. i would jimmy the lock before smashing a window unless it was absolutely needed. i know that windows can be hard to replace but if the moment arrived there would be no hesitation

That comment and your location :pokerface:

spoon.ek9 08-04-2013 09:46 PM

smash dat window :accepted:

dinosaur 08-04-2013 10:10 PM

Without a doubt, I would have smashed that window if that dog had been in severe distressed. Although the dog was panting, it was still actively moving around the car and responsive to me.

In retrospect, I should have called the cops and have now put the Burnaby RCMP and SPCA number in my phone should I see something like this again.

In regards to smashing the window, how does the legal side of things work? Although I would have NO ISSUE smashing anything should a child or animal be in noticeable distress (tbh, I would smash a window even if a child was not in distress), I am curious what would happen if I had smashed the window tonight. I remember reading something recently about someone who smashed a window to rescue a dog and was arrested. For the life of me, I can not find the article (I have spent the evening looking for it).

I am sure the police and almost all would agree with the reason to smash the window, but would authorities be bound by the law? If I had smashed the window, rescued the dog, and called the police, who is responsible for the window? What if, by the time the police arrived, the dog was ok...no noticeable issue, etc.

iEatClams 08-04-2013 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gridlock (Post 8294911)
I'm not going to lie, I was kind of excited at the idea of window breaking.

Boom!

Free pass on vandalism. I'll go on the road with that on hot days-the Batman of dog rescue.

I've given the owners soo many earfuls. Most telling me to mind my own business. Usually ends up with them trying to get in the car and drive away quickly.

If we are allowed to break the glass without having to pay for it. Im go nuts from now on for the glass breaking. It's been pretty hot this summer, I can barely sit in my car with the window down. no idea how an animal can surive windows up.

iEatClams 08-04-2013 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dinosaur (Post 8294974)
Without a doubt, I would have smashed that window if that dog had been in severe distressed. Although the dog was panting, it was still actively moving around the car and responsive to me.

In retrospect, I should have called the cops and have now put the Burnaby RCMP and SPCA number in my phone should I see something like this again.

In regards to smashing the window, how does the legal side of things work? Although I would have NO ISSUE smashing anything should a child or animal be in noticeable distress (tbh, I would smash a window even if a child was not in distress), I am curious what would happen if I had smashed the window tonight. I remember reading something recently about someone who smashed a window to rescue a dog and was arrested. For the life of me, I can not find the article (I have spent the evening looking for it).

I am sure the police and almost all would agree with the reason to smash the window, but would authorities be bound by the law? If I had smashed the window, rescued the dog, and called the police who is responsible for the window? What if by the time the police arrived, the dog was ok...no noticeable issue, etc.

I too would like to know. So we dont get a free pass?

damn. . .. was just excited about the possibility to smash windows.

guess ill just call the RCMPs from now on. . . :(

dinosaur 08-04-2013 10:23 PM

and...do we call 9-1-1 or non-emerg?

I don't want to be one of those douchebags who calls 9-1-1 for not getting my chicken mcnuggets.

Inaii 08-04-2013 10:26 PM

If the dog is in severe distress (ie, unconscious, doesn't appear to be breathing) they want you to call 911. If the dog is simply locked in a hot car and you're concerned, call the non-emerg line.

honestly if it's a child, I'd call 911 either way. That's just me though :)