REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 08-08-2013, 01:14 AM   #51
Treasure Chest MOD

Thanked 1,602 Times in 704 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur View Post
"Rule 4 Cooperate with the competent public or private organisations and authorities in the endeavour to place sport at the service of humanity and thereby to promote peace

Rule 6: Act against any form of discrimination affecting the Olympic Movement

Rule 15 Encourage and support initiatives blending sport with culture and education"

This is what I mean when I say the Olympics is more than just a sporting event. Its not just a hockey game played in some random country every 4 years.

There is a reason that this is the first time Russia has had the games...there is a reason that there is a better likelihood that the moon will produce milk over North Korea getting the games.
+1 to this issue residing more in the grey area of things

The olympics are a time when countries all over the world can come together and engage in friendly competition - an outward expression of sportsmanship and a tentative gesture of trust. The idea of fighting over a sporting event (global or not) might not seem like a big deal - but when you think about it, it's the one thing we all care enough to invest heavily in. Sports are one of the few things powerful enough to draw the attention of those all around the world. It's something that we can all hold an agreement to, while clearly, homophobia is something we cannot.

Human rights, equality, freedom to sexual orientation, etc. These are words strung together in a way to make the world (or part of it at least) seem like a much better place to live in. Freedom has granted us with many things, and in doing so, it has also allowed us to be analytical of our surroundings - and so the formation of lobbyist/activist/protest groups would systematically follow. If a few words written in the constitution can guarantee all the things it promises, we wouldn't have these groups around relaying their haves and have nots would we? Inequality and discrimination is the basis from which this world operates on. You can take away racism, feminism, HECK, even homophobia, and the list will never work it's way down to the big umbrella of discrimination. That's right, because it's faulty logic. You can hack away at the twigs of a tree and never touch base with the strong roots it lays its foundation upon. Say what you will, but at the end of the day it's only habitual for humans of all shapes and sizes to form cliques and fight to the death. Even when there isn't a reason to, you can sure as hell trust that we'll find one.

There is a controversy to Russia's stand on homophobia ONLY because modern society (North American/Western Society) has placed such a strong emphasis on homophobia. It is an aspect amongst many other aspects that we choose to open our eyes to. Inadvertently, we turn a blind eye to the numerous other displays of discrimination hanging out in the side lines.

As mentioned, the stronger countries will naturally be inclined to impose their own ideologies/beliefs upon other countries. The stronger ones will germinate the cultures of the weaker ones, which will eventually crumble and fall. Darwin's theory of natural selection. So why decide to host the olympics in a "developing" country, knowing that differences are bound to exist, and still continue to bridge the gap between these differences? Simply put, because they can.
Advertisement

There are no principles, there are only events. There is no good and bad, there are only circumstances. The superior espouses events and circumstances in order to guide them.

Last edited by instantneedles; 08-08-2013 at 01:29 AM.
instantneedles is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-08-2013, 01:23 AM   #52
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,382 Times in 3,464 Posts
Instead of boycotting some people want to strip Russia of the Olympics and host them in another city like Vancouver. On one hand I would like to see the Olympics in Vancouver again on the other I don't think Russia would come and that would be a shame.
Old 08-08-2013, 05:09 AM   #53
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,809 Times in 8,186 Posts
It would have to be a MUCH bigger issue for them to take the olympics away. China is much worse than Russia when it comes to gay rights (and all human rights) and it was pretty much not an issue at all. Maybe they are just better at changing perception, I dunno, but it has to be a bigger thing. I don't know if it has ever happened in olympic history, and it has been hosted by all sorts of regimes including fucken nazi germany.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-08-2013, 08:26 AM   #54
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,510 Times in 4,902 Posts
The Olympics in Berlin went on because people wanted to show that fucktard how wrong he was. If the Germans were so superior, they would have walked away with all the gold medals. OK, so they won the most, but hey............. Jesse Owens won four gold.
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 07:09 PM   #55
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
Russian podium kiss an apparent defiance of anti-gay law - World - CBC News

I wonder how many political statements will be made during the Olympics....
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 05:37 PM   #56
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,185 Times in 304 Posts
people are blowing this thing way out of proportion in my opinion. the law says you cannot promote being gay in public. you can do whatever you want in your own home just don't go outside promoting it to others. I don't see an issue with it, it's Putin's country, his laws and most people in Russia support them, believe it or not.

As far as boycotting the Olympics, it really does nothing except for hurt the athletes. US boycotted the Moscow Olympics in the 80's. Did anything change because of it? Nope

A car can be only 2 out of the 3.
xpl0sive is offline   Reply With Quote