REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 08-15-2013, 02:57 PM   #51
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwin View Post
The dentist union is a bunch of cheapskates! For that kind of publicity they are only offering $2k?
At least they didn't spend tax payer money for hiring private investigator, it is coming from their pocket
Advertisement
Old 08-15-2013, 04:39 PM   #52
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

I wish I could afford a dentist. They charge too much for their services and make more than most doctors.

My teeth are in desperate need of cleaning too :/
meowjinboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 10:53 PM   #53
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowjinboo View Post
I wish I could afford a dentist. They charge too much for their services and make more than most doctors.

My teeth are in desperate need of cleaning too :/
Hey man, I drove by VCC dental hygiene school on broadway and they had teeth cleaning for a super low price.

I don't remember the exact costs, but I believe it was only 30% of what the dentist charges. Students do the cleaning, so it's probably thorough

address here: Dental Clinic - Vancouver Community College

good luck
barqy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-17-2013, 09:05 PM   #54
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:

B.C man accused of illegal dentistry turns himself in

The B.C. College of Dental Surgeons has been looking for Tung Sheng Wu since August

A B.C. man accused of setting up an illegal dental practice in the bedroom of a house near Vancouver has turned himself in, Toronto police have confirmed.
Tung Sheng "David" Wu, 62, was sentenced to three months in jail for contempt for ignoring a court order to stop practising dentistry without a licence,but B.C.'s College of Dental Surgeons had been unable to locate him.
A Canada-wide warrant was issued for his arrest in August.

Wu turned himself into police in Scarborough, Ont., Saturday, and has a bail hearing scheduled for Monday.
"He surprised us by turning himself in. There was no forewarning that he'd be coming in," said Toronto police Staff Sgt. Gerry Heaney.
"Sometimes lawyers will contact and say, 'My client is turning themselves in, there's a warrant for their arrest.' He just appeared at our front counter and said I'm wanted by the police in British Columbia and I'm turning myself in based on the advice from legal counsel."
In May, the college and RCMP officers shut down one of Wu’s clinics, set up in a bedroom of his Burnaby home.
The raid found Wu was operating in dirty and disorganized conditions, and the college issued a public warning urging Wu's patients to be tested for hepatitis B, hepatitis C and human immunodeficiency virus (HIV).

Wu had been ordered by the court to stop practising dentistry without a licence back in 2003.
Jerome Marburg, CEO of B.C.'s College of Dental Surgeons, told CBC News on Sunday they hope to have Wu brought back to B.C. soon.
"We're obviously very gratified that he has [turned himself in] and that he's off the street. It's been a long haul," he said.
When asked what Wu might be facing upon his return, Marburg said the so-called "bedroom dentist" has much to answer for.
"He's facing some prison time. I would imagine there's quite a number of his former clients who have some hard questions for him that's he going to have to answer, and we also understand that the Canada Revenue Agency has some questions for him as well."
B.C man accused of illegal dentistry turns himself in - British Columbia - CBC News
Carl Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 08:43 AM   #55
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
I wonder what prompted him to turn himself in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barqy View Post
Hey man, I drove by VCC dental hygiene school on broadway and they had teeth cleaning for a super low price.

I don't remember the exact costs, but I believe it was only 30% of what the dentist charges. Students do the cleaning, so it's probably thorough

address here: Dental Clinic - Vancouver Community College

good luck
I thought I'd bump this particular comment with some more first-hand info.

My fiancee is a recent grad (2012) of VCC's DH program. First thing's first:
  • The DH school is actually out of their Downtown (Dunsmuir) campus. The Broadway one was likely just advertising.
  • In order to receive treatment, you have to sign up into a patient pool. From there, you need to commit to at least 3-6 appointments. The reason is because since they are students, they need to break down different treatments over many visits. So while it's cheaper, it's not very time efficient.
  • If you still think you want to do it, you will find that they will continue to ask you to come back every year for the same type of treatment. For the price you're paying, it's SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper than a bi-annual cleaning. That said, if you're consistent with them, not only are you saving cash, but your treatments become easier on you since you're going for a cleaning more often.
  • Depending on your oral health, they are very thorough with their treatment. You have to do xrays (which is usually one visit- the first one). They do most things with mostly current tools by hand (some ultrasonic is done for really bad cases of deposits), which is why it takes so long for treatment.
  • If you still believe that this is for you, I'm not joking when I say that it's a great place to meet girls (if you're single, or looking, or just like to flirt lol). In my fiancee's class I could count half a dozen pretty cute girls. Most classes are 22-25 girls, so the ratio is definitely in your favour. Ages range from out of high-school, to returning dental assistants wanting to make more money.

Definitely check it out as I've seen the type of service they provide, and unless you get a braindead student (which is rare since the admissions are super-competitive, so only the real best and brightest make it through), you're getting quality service at the increased cost of your time. Girls that actually don't do well during the curriculum are held back, so they are very strict with quality control there (likely more than your normal dental office). Again, the only "risk" or downside is the increased time-commitment.

Plus, the VCC catering/restaurant school makes a killer cheesecake/carrot cake/daily lunch for dirt cheap.
m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: