REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 08-07-2013, 05:28 PM   #26
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
Hepatitis is not really a big deal to Asian immigrants since the majority of them have the antibodies already. For parents who bring their Canadian born kids, well that's another story. However I would expect that number won't be very high, as I expect the parents would know where resources like dental etc are covered by work etc.
Advertisement
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 05:39 PM   #27
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

I don't wanna defend these underground dentistry but Im sure they have some experience back in their home country and have difficulty having their license recognize here.

Let's not pretend these customers were duped into coming into someones home and getting worked on by a professional doctor. You pay for what you get. Customer knows full well the risk.

Lets rat out every industry who's not licensed and works for cash.
With word of mouth...there's some good apples out there.
Ludepower is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-07-2013, 06:26 PM   #28
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,057 Times in 429 Posts
So has anyone actually gotten infected or they just recommending that u get a blood test........ The way i see it, some people dont wanna pay or simply cant afford the ridiculous prices dentist charge. In the end if this guy is doing everything properly the only person losing is the tax man cause all they care about is there cut. This is no different than people doing sidework from there regular job for cash.
RiceIntegraRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 06:34 PM   #29
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiceIntegraRS View Post
So has anyone actually gotten infected or they just recommending that u get a blood test........ The way i see it, some people dont wanna pay or simply cant afford the ridiculous prices dentist charge. In the end if this guy is doing everything properly the only person losing is the tax man cause all they care about is there cut. This is no different than people doing sidework from there regular job for cash.
Were talking dental instruments that go inside your mouth being shared among people that has the potential to spread disease. Not all of these procedures may only be simple cleaning either. What about root canals? or procedures involving anesthetics?

Cars:
02' Lexus IS300 5spd
07' BMW 323iA
05' BMW Z4 5spd
06' BMW 330i 6spd
10' Audi A4 quattro
08' BMW M3 6spd
15' Kawasaki Ninja300
08' Yamaha R6
10' Honda Ridgeline
17' Audi Q5
16' BMW X5D

bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 06:49 PM   #30
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acura604 View Post
In one recent London, Ont., case, patients of an unlicensed dentist were urged by health officials to use condoms and get tested for fear they may have been infected with hepatitis B and C. Both viruses are found in blood and saliva, and can live on unsterilized equipment for a month.
lol this is such your typical media fear-mongering bullshit. Although it's not been tested (duh, ethics), it's virtually impossible to get infected by communicable blood-borne pathogens via dirty dental instruments. But to put people in such a risk in the first place is unethical....I just find it funny how media or health authorities go on the overkill.

The access to care issue is such a huge problem...blame the government I say...they don't see mouth as part of the body so MSP says "fuck it". A lot of the low-cost clinic have hours that aren't accessible to the working class. The free-community clinics are very restrictive and held on few times a year with massive waiting lists. Some folks have emergencies but honestly cannot afford to get it treated, period. I don't think they should be judged by keyboard warriors on here.

I'm not saying it's right to have illegal dentists practising but they should also revisit foreign dental credentials. It's purely a self-protection aspect for the Canadian dental community not to accept foreign credentials. Who's to say that their education is inferior? For all we know it's better than what's taught here (UK...Europe...Asia etc). I've spoken to foreign dentists that had to take out $0.3M loans just to waste 2 years in school relearning what they've been pracitising for maybe 10-15-20 years. Huge slap in the face if you put yourself in their shoes. It's the same thing in the medical community, massive shortages of professionals, yet they won't recognize foreign credentials and increase seats to medical programs in fear that resources will be spread thin and the current professionals will get compensated less. How hard is it to allow foreign professionals to take the accreditation exam and slap on a clinical component? ridiculous.

TL;DR there's so many crap with our health programs/associations protecting their own interests going on behind the scenes that spawn issues like this.

Last edited by twitchyzero; 08-07-2013 at 06:58 PM.
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 07:39 PM   #31
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freakshow View Post
How was that not a HUGE red flag for someone.. Dental work out of your home??
...my dentist had his office in a converted house.

I don't know in this case, but there is a difference between a place that is a dedicated dental office, and rolling up and spitting in someone's kitchen sink.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 08:30 PM   #32
private modder

Thanked 2,652 Times in 741 Posts
Those who went to him because they were cheap ass, I don't feel sorry for. They are now learning a lesson. There is an old saying: "The cheap comes out expensive".

Those who went to him because perhaps they were perhaps seniors or low income individuals who needed dental work, but couldn't afford it, and felt they had no choice because they did not know any other option, I feel sorry for them.
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 08:36 PM   #33
I am Hook'd on RS

Did anyone read his comment in the posting?
Though it may not be him at all... he (or someone) says his last comment got deleted.

Quote:
TO ALL MY FORMER PATIENTS AT 4330 EAST HASTINGS STREET IN BURNABY

DO NOT BE ALARMED BY THIS SLOPPY REPORTING. YOU ARE NOT IN DANGER. I
WAS A FULLY QUALIFIED AND LICENSED DENTIST FOR MY ENTIRE CAREER OF 36
YEARS UNTIL MY RETIREMENT IN 2010.

IF THIS AND OTHER NEWS REPORTS HAVE IMPROPERLY REPORTED THIS STORY
AND CAUSED YOU UNNECESSARY ALARM AND ANGUISH PLEASE SEND ME A EMAIL WITH
YOUR CONCERNS AND A PHONE NUMBER AND I WILL CALL YOU PERSONALLY TO CALM
YOUR FEARS.

I DO NOT KNOW IF THE COLLEGE OF DENTAL SURGEONS OF BC WHO MADE THE
PRESS RELEASE OR CBC, GLOBAL TV, CTV AND ALL THE NEWS MEDIA THAT
REPORTED ON THE STORY WILL DO ANYTHING TO CLEAR UP THE PANIC OR
CONFUSION THEY MAY HAVE CAUSED AMONGST YOU, NOT TO MENTION THE POSSIBLE
DAMAGE TO MY REPUTATION BUT I WILL FOLLOW UP WITH ALL OF THEM.

TO THEIR CREDIT SOME OF YOU HAVE VOICED YOUR CONCERNS AT GLOBAL TV
AND UPON VERIFYING THAT I WAS NOT THE CULPRIT SEND A TV PERSON TO RECORD
MY SIDE OF THE STORY THIS AFTERNOON, BUT THEY HAVE YET TO AIR IT AS OF
6.10 PM WEDNESDAY 7TH OF AUGUST.

I HOPE THEY DO NOT CENSOR THIS MESSAGE AS i HAVE NO OTHER MEANS TO COMMUNICATE WITH YOU IMMEDIATELY.

SINCERELY,

DR. DAVID WU FORMERLY OF NORTH VANCOUVER, VANCOUVER AND BURNABY.

YON CAN REACH ME AT drdavidwu@shaw.ca NOW!«
bottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 08:47 PM   #34
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Hopefully he can be found, doing this underground unlicensed practices can only come from China...
This post thanked by:
Old 08-07-2013, 09:11 PM   #35
RS Veteran

Thanked 1,265 Times in 618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
lol this is such your typical media fear-mongering bullshit. Although it's not been tested (duh, ethics), it's virtually impossible to get infected by communicable blood-borne pathogens via dirty dental instruments. But to put people in such a risk in the first place is unethical....I just find it funny how media or health authorities go on the overkill.

The access to care issue is such a huge problem...blame the government I say...they don't see mouth as part of the body so MSP says "fuck it". A lot of the low-cost clinic have hours that aren't accessible to the working class. The free-community clinics are very restrictive and held on few times a year with massive waiting lists. Some folks have emergencies but honestly cannot afford to get it treated, period. I don't think they should be judged by keyboard warriors on here.

I'm not saying it's right to have illegal dentists practising but they should also revisit foreign dental credentials. It's purely a self-protection aspect for the Canadian dental community not to accept foreign credentials. Who's to say that their education is inferior? For all we know it's better than what's taught here (UK...Europe...Asia etc). I've spoken to foreign dentists that had to take out $0.3M loans just to waste 2 years in school relearning what they've been pracitising for maybe 10-15-20 years. Huge slap in the face if you put yourself in their shoes. It's the same thing in the medical community, massive shortages of professionals, yet they won't recognize foreign credentials and increase seats to medical programs in fear that resources will be spread thin and the current professionals will get compensated less. How hard is it to allow foreign professionals to take the accreditation exam and slap on a clinical component? ridiculous.

TL;DR there's so many crap with our health programs/associations protecting their own interests going on behind the scenes that spawn issues like this.
Are you surprised that the media blew this out of proportion? It's the media!!! They take "facts" well, take ONE side of the story, whichever will get the most audience and throw it in everyone's faces.

It is extremely odd that Dental care isn't covered by MSP, at least regular cleaning.

I disagree that it's difficult to be infected by blood borne diseases as root canals, and extractions are all very invasive procedures
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:38 PM   #36
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,215 Times in 1,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
You can go to BCIT etc for free cleanings and dental estimates

People are obviously going to this guy because he is cheap, and I can almost guarantee you the people going to him can probably afford a "regular" dentist
Posted via RS Mobile
Do you have to be a BCIT student?

I'm returning back to Vancouver soon, and I quit my unionized job prior to leaving, so I don't have free dental anymore.
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Razor Ramon HG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 06:20 AM   #37
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,329 Times in 5,645 Posts
Don't believe so but you might have to be at BCIT

I think some other dental schools though you don't have to be, I've never been though
Posted via RS Mobile
Hondaracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 06:41 AM   #38
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 7,109 Times in 1,264 Posts
Ah crap, I think this guy did one of my fillings, worst part is that I didn't have the money to pay my bill so I forced him to have unprotected sex with me to square things up.

#doubleHIV
jasonturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-08-2013, 06:44 AM   #39
Official Texas Ambassador

Thanked 5,671 Times in 1,324 Posts
This is what happens when you bring 3rd world business practices to a 1st world nation
She taught me right from wrong and always told me to stay positive and help others no matter how small the deed - that helping others gives us meaning to carry on. The sun is out today and it's a new day. Life is good. I just needed a slap in the face.
El Bastardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 11:10 AM   #40
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor Ramon HG View Post
Do you have to be a BCIT student?

I'm returning back to Vancouver soon, and I quit my unionized job prior to leaving, so I don't have free dental anymore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Don't believe so but you might have to be at BCIT

I think some other dental schools though you don't have to be, I've never been though
Posted via RS Mobile
Places where they teach Dental Hygiene (VCC, Vancouver College of Dental Hygiene, UBC) will take you in as a patient as part of their pool. However these places require you to commit to a number of appointments, as you're a learning instrument. When my fiancee was at VCC, it was something like 6 appointments. And if my fiancee's grad class was any indication, it'd be a great place to meet some cute hygienists .

Also, these places generally charge a very small amount for their services. I think VCC is something like $30 (compare that to almost $200 for a "new patient" appointment with x-rays, oral exam, and cleaning).

If you ask/look around, there are also clinics run by dentists out of their office for low-income individual/families. It's usually a weekend out of the year for some dentists; some dentists do it more often.
m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 01:15 PM   #41
Doesn't know that condom-depot.com has free shipping

looks like majority of his client base are cheap rich chinese folks. News had witnesses see high end vehicles show up at his house. Not trying to be racist but common, being asian, we know how cheap the older chinese folks are. The guy is probably most likely an acquaintance to them and also chinese so they trusted him.

anything to do with my body and health, fuck being cheap, rather go to professionals. If anything, he probably made their problems worse.

Reminds me how my mom and relatives pay some 90 yr old chinese/vietnamese "doctor" they call him, about 100$ bucks to squeeze their feet because he knows pressure points. so far he has not done shit for them. amazes me how people are so oblivious and just jump on the bandwagon
doritos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 05:21 PM   #42
My homepage has been set to RS

Love all the comments on, "good, you deserve it for being cheap"
Stay classy.
subordinate is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-08-2013, 08:23 PM   #43
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,984 Times in 995 Posts
how long is this guy going to jail for?.... not many people realize this but this is a huge epidemic....

and enough with the ignorant / racist comments

Can someone tell good or unusual dating spots? Or what was your the most unusual date? THanks for sharing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
my bedroom =D
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhillon09 View Post
that's a great secret date spot,
i bet no girl in vancouver has seen it.
Verdasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 03:07 PM   #44
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Shit just got real.

Quote:
Burnaby’s fake dentist did not show up for a court hearing today...

...The judge issued a BC-wide warrant for Wu’s arrest and a permanent injunction banning him from practicing dentistry.
Fake dentist pulls a no-show in court | News1130
adambomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 03:10 PM   #45
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
I thought he was already no where to be found at the writing of the first article...BC-wide warrant lol he's just gonna move to another province and keep doing his illegal work.
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 09:42 PM   #46

Chances are he had transferred all his assets in Canada to his family and has left the country eg China.. no extradition treaty, bitches!
Old 08-15-2013, 02:26 PM   #47
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,177 Times in 2,408 Posts
Shit got even realer...

WANTED: $2,000 REWARD

Reward offered for rogue B.C. dentist suspected of trying to flee to another market to take up business there
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 02:51 PM   #48
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,329 Times in 5,645 Posts
$2000 bah, if I saw him I'd Tell him give me $10000 and I won't turn ya in lol
Posted via RS Mobile
Hondaracer is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-15-2013, 02:54 PM   #49
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonick View Post
RS Group Track Down!
Old 08-15-2013, 02:55 PM   #50

The dentist union is a bunch of cheapskates! For that kind of publicity they are only offering $2k?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonick View Post