REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Insurance paper (https://www.revscene.net/forums/687103-insurance-paper.html)

Greenstoner 08-08-2013 12:15 PM

Insurance paper

Hi recently got a bike and it doesn't have any storage. Is it acceptable if make a copy of my insurance paper and resize it to wallet size?

Or if I can snap the info on my phone.
Posted via RS Mobile

Zordon 08-08-2013 01:42 PM

I believe you need to carry your original registration document at all times when you use your bike. This would be the same for a car, photocopies are not accepted.

N8 08-08-2013 03:07 PM

It'll probably help to at least have a snapshot of it in case you get pulled, but like above, better to be safe than sorry. Fold it up?

thumper 09-05-2013 12:16 PM

what kind of bike? i used to ride a gsxr with a GP tail so there was no storage bin and i ended up putting it inside the ziploc pouch from the insurance agency and taping it to the inside of the battery box.

iKayChow 09-05-2013 01:01 PM

its only one paper, why not just fold up the original and keep it in your pocket or wallet. if it gets damage icbc replaces it for free as long as you still have it... but if you lose its thats 18 bucks

finbar 09-05-2013 03:10 PM

Ziploc baggie under the seat

Blayde 09-07-2013 09:30 AM

What kind of bike do you have? Even if you slide it right beside your battery, its better than nothing.

I know some insurance places will shrink down the size for you so you can fit it in a smaller area, while still being printed on their official paper...

evil_jigglypuff 09-07-2013 10:30 AM

just fold it up and put it on the little compartment under the back seat. some insurance agencies provide pouches for motorcycles.

SoNaRWaVe 09-07-2013 10:46 PM

i just have it folded up in a ziploc and keep it in my jacket

Greenstoner 09-08-2013 07:42 PM

ya, ive been just fold the original up and keep it in my wallet...

i have no storage space at all... not even under the seat

harley 883 that is

kev1n9121 09-08-2013 08:20 PM

i called icbc about scanning your insurance and the person that i talked to said that if you do get pulled over and you have a scanned paper, you have like less than an hour to go home and get the original document for proof. i'm guessing the cops would have to follow you home? :badpokerface: regardless, i photocopied my insurance papers anyways LOL

lowside67 09-08-2013 08:30 PM

That is absolutely a nonsense answer and should not ever be repeated, even on the internet, as fact. There are no official policies that give you less than an hour to produce a true document. You are technically required to have an original copy of the ICBC documents with the proper date stamp, however, as the unlucky recipient of several tickets over the years with photocopied insurance info (worked for car dealership), that was never an issue.

Mark

Marco911 09-09-2013 12:49 AM

I'm not sure why you're even required to produce physical papers anymore when the officer can just look up the insurance info by keying in your plate.

!SG 09-09-2013 03:13 AM

insurance company always makes a photo copy of my insurance papers with a template that blocks out just my address.

was told to keep these in the car, and originals at home in case the car DOES get stolen or broken into.

thumper 09-09-2013 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greenstoner (Post 8316249)
ya, ive been just fold the original up and keep it in my wallet...

i have no storage space at all... not even under the seat

harley 883 that is

in that case get it laminated. i used clear packing tape. this was back when i used to fold it up in my wallet, but without laminating it got ratty very fast and when i finally had to take it out it was not readable and the rcmp constable gave me a warning that he could have written me up for no insurance papers.

what is it like these days? it's been almost 10 years since i last owned a bike. i remember back then they were really coming after riders because there were too many unlicensed riders on the roads or riding with a temporary permit without supervision or expired. they would look at my license for a class 6, then my insurance papers to match the vin, and finally the license to see if it actually was for the bike (i used to know someone who would use the plate from his registered R6 on his not-so-legal R6 stunt bike so he could ride the latter on the street when he felt like it... never got caught).