REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 08-08-2013, 12:18 PM   #1
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,381 Times in 3,463 Posts
My head hurts and yours may too after reading this

Politicians in Australia

When Stephanie got her facts wrong: One Nation candidate makes gaffe after gaffe in TV interview

Rachel Olding
Published: August 8, 2013 - 11:59AM

Full election coverage

Is it halal, haram or Koran?

Just don't ask Stephanie Banister, an anti-immigration candidate vying for the Brisbane seat of Rankin in the upcoming election.

The 27-year-old ''poster child'' of the One Nation movement did her campaign no favours in an interview with Channel Seven on Wednesday night, mistaking Islam for a country, confusing haram with Koran and drawing a blank on the nationwide disability scheme.

''I don't oppose Islam as a country, umm, but I do feel that their laws should not be welcome here in Australia,'' Ms Banister said in the one-on-one interview in her Queensland backyard.

The mother-of-two's attack on Islam began with a claim that 2 per cent of Australians ''follow haram''.

''Or the Koran, as the Islamic text is known,'' reporter Erin Edwards said.

Haram is a Muslim term used for something that is forbidden or punishable, which Ms Banister would presumably like to see applied to the Koran.

She also advocates a ban on halal food but said similar dietary guidelines for followers of Judaism, known as kosher, were permissible because ''Jews follow Jesus Christ''.

''Jews aren't under haram, they have their own religion which follows Jesus Christ,'' she said. ''They don't have a tax on [kosher], they've just got a certain way of making it where haram has a tax on the food.''

In fact, kosher food has a small fee too. And Judaism rejects Jesus Christ.

The interview turned to other big issues facing voters in the upcoming election but Ms Banister gave a blank look when asked what she thought about the NDIS, one of the Labor government's most significant policies.

''The National Disability Scheme?'' clarified Ms Edwards.

''I believe that the disability scheme is working at the moment,'' Ms Banister replied.

In fact, it starts in 2016.

On the state of the economy, she said: ''I'd like to see the government drop its five-star budget down to an economy budget. With the way the economy's going at the moment, I don't see why the government feels that it should remain at a five-star budget when economy's just as good."

Ms Banister told Fairfax Media she felt she had been misrepresented and had corrected herself many times but it had been cut from the interview.

''Unfortunately, they've completely twisted all my words and made me out to be a stand-up criminal and a stupid moron,'' she said.

She said she knew Islam was not a country and meant to say ''Islamic countries''.

When asked if she meant to say that 2 per cent of Australians followed haram, she replied: ''Yes. Up to 2.5 per cent.''

One Nation spokesman Rod Evans said Ms Banister ''knows very well'' that Islam is not a country but simply misspoke.

''You've got to remember that she is new to publicity and this kind of questioning and the way she has expressed it is not the way it should be expressed.''

Ms Banister denied that she was unprepared to fight a federal election but admitted she was ''possibly inexperienced'' and ''still learning about the politics side of life''.

Ms Banister was recently arrested and charged after she plastered stickers on Nestle products in a Brisbane shopping centre saying ''halal food funds terrorism'', Channel Seven said.

The matter is still before a court.

Political candidates are disqualified if they have been convicted or are about to be sentenced to jail.

Should she be given the go-ahead by the Australian Electoral Commission, Ms Banister will face some stiff competition in Rankin.

The seat is held by outgoing former minister and Julia Gillard loyalist Craig Emerson with a healthy margin of 10 per cent.

The excruciating interview followed a howler by Liberal candidate Jaymes Diaz, who was unable to articulate a six-point plan to ''stop the boats'' and froze during an interview with Channel 10 on Monday.

This story was found at: Stephanie Banister Channel Seven Interview, One Nation Candidate Interview

and

Advertisement
Old 08-08-2013, 12:21 PM   #2
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts

x100
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-08-2013, 12:34 PM   #3
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,458 Times in 588 Posts
Crikey
shawnly1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-08-2013, 12:39 PM   #4
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,132 Times in 7,145 Posts
Read the first 10 lines. Stopped to avoid blowing my fucking brains out. Jesus fuck.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-08-2013, 01:18 PM   #5
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
i SO miss sarah palin...
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-08-2013, 01:34 PM   #6
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
Quote:
Ms Banister told Fairfax Media she felt she had been misrepresented and had corrected herself many times but it had been cut from the interview.

''Unfortunately, they've completely twisted all my words and made me out to be a stand-up criminal and a stupid moron,'' she said.

She said she knew Islam was not a country and meant to say ''Islamic countries''.

When asked if she meant to say that 2 per cent of Australians followed haram, she replied: ''Yes. Up to 2.5 per cent.''
she got 'd

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 01:50 PM   #7
Official Texas Ambassador

Thanked 5,671 Times in 1,324 Posts
A candidate needs to use this interview to tout the need for education spending. This is a great example of someone who was clearly failed.
She taught me right from wrong and always told me to stay positive and help others no matter how small the deed - that helping others gives us meaning to carry on. The sun is out today and it's a new day. Life is good. I just needed a slap in the face.
El Bastardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 04:21 PM   #8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

It would seem that embarking on a political career these days is a lot easier than one would think. Take http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruth_Ellen_Brosseau Was in Vegas at the time of the election..Little to no post secondary education, was managing a campus bar beforehand...While it is worrying that this calibre of candidate is elected, I suppose what is more of a worry is the fact that people voted for her.
Infiniti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 04:32 PM   #9
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,380 Times in 3,906 Posts
just another dumb broad with big boobs

Hefners gotten lazy in his old age it would be great if he convinced palin/bachman/geller/this chick/etc to do a dumbest broad playboy special
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 05:08 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infiniti View Post
It would seem that embarking on a political career these days is a lot easier than one would think. Take Ruth Ellen Brosseau Was in Vegas at the time of the election..Little to no post secondary education, was managing a campus bar beforehand...While it is worrying that this calibre of candidate is elected, I suppose what is more of a worry is the fact that people voted for her.
In her case she was nominated because know one else wanted to run. People didn't vote for her but her party because they were fed up with the other parties.
Old 08-08-2013, 06:37 PM   #11
The Lone Wanderator

Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infiniti View Post
It would seem that embarking on a political career these days is a lot easier than one would think. Take Ruth Ellen Brosseau Was in Vegas at the time of the election..Little to no post secondary education, was managing a campus bar beforehand...While it is worrying that this calibre of candidate is elected, I suppose what is more of a worry is the fact that people voted for her.
On the flip side, she's now working damned hard to make sure that she does a good job of it; she's improved her french immensely and it's kind of nice to have the Lawyer/Businessperson domination of politics broken up just a wee bit.

I mean, when you can call a 40-year old politician "young" or "inexperienced", that kind of says something about the kinds of people who we consider 'properly seasoned'.
Graeme S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:41 PM   #12
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Oh man...take the fucking craziness of the republican party, amp it up a bit, set it to an opposite season and feed it vegemite and you have Australian politics.

Hugely racist and the treatment of the aborginals could be construed as barbaric.

Crazy little place.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-09-2013, 03:07 AM   #13
I subscribe to Revscene

Her actions are simple and juvenile... she is no threat.

The real threat is the politician that knows real world affairs but knowingly has an agenda to lie about things... serving his/her masters in deceiving the public.

I would go as far as saying that I can see dialogue and facts being discussed with this women to enlighten her from the environment shes been brought up in...
unlike 3 of the 5 moderators here (which I think are all also religiously and politically ignorant) that choose to ban, censor, and exclude members from threads that expose Zionism.

If I had to chose the lesser of two evils, I would chose the oblivious anti-Muslim sticker sticking and Halal food banning witch over anyone that promotes Zionism which is not only catastrophic to Jews, but also to world peace.
jasonturbo & westopher in the election thread
http://www.revscene.net/forums/70467...ml#post8668948
http://www.revscene.net/forums/70467...ml#post8667115
Real news
www.tinyurl.com/kpg44bc
CharlesInCharge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 05:15 AM   #14

Shut up, Meg
She taught me right from wrong and always told me to stay positive and help others no matter how small the deed - that helping others gives us meaning to carry on. The sun is out today and it's a new day. Life is good. I just needed a slap in the face.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-09-2013, 05:31 AM   #15
YOU CANT CUT BACK ON FUNDING! YOU WILL REGRET THIS

Thanked 3,092 Times in 1,038 Posts
Straya, Bitches

this is just skimming the surface - Australian politics are downright weird, dumb, and crazy even though it's the same system in Canada.

Australia is full out trying to "stop the boats" right now. Everything on the debate table is centered around illegal immigrants/asylum seekers from the middle east and SE Asia. The current government recently signed a new bill into act that will quite literally give any illegal immigrants to the PNG (Papua New Guinea). Yes. They are giving people away to another country.

On the flip side of things, there's also a part of the country that supports asylum seekers and "boat people". Ads on TV and radio keep reminding aussies themselves were all at some point... "boat people"; and that the country is a "boat people country".
This is where the discussion turns funny - where people start arguing that their ancestors were sent here by the boatloads by the poms (the brits), and that they had no choice... but that's another story.

TL;DR: kangaroos and koalas sponsored by maccas out playing footy this arvo whilst wearing sunnies. Damn bogans. Salvos sponsors another team.
I LOVE MY UTE M8. G'Day /Australia
Old 08-09-2013, 09:50 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amuro Ray View Post
TL;DR: Fuck off, we're full
Fixed that for you
This post thanked by:
Old 08-09-2013, 09:59 AM   #17
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
No country wants the scrubs.

Oh shit, everyone loved immigration when it was a "look at this land just recently vacated by indians" free for all(literally). Pack this place full, then hump and have babies.

"“Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free" Now mind you, just because its written on the statue of liberty doesn't make it binding or anything, but more of a guideline.

Now, its "fuck off unless you have skills we lack, more money than average or family members already here that we like."

Australia, Canada or US doesn't matter, its all a variation on the same theme.

No "boat people"...your country started as a place to take all the people that the rest of the world didn't want. Then you went and made Australia cool with the surfing, hot women and sexy accents and shit.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 10:09 AM   #18
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock View Post
No country wants the scrubs.

Spoiler!
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 04:12 PM   #19
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

she's dumb but I would also hate to see any sharia law make it's way into Australia law. If that is what she was trying to say.. is it?
4nik8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 11:47 PM   #20

And she quits

BBC News - Islam gaffe candidate Banister quits Australia election
Old 08-10-2013, 01:07 AM   #21
MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD

Thanked 3,511 Times in 1,156 Posts
[03-07, 03:26] Yodamaster - The feeling when you quickly insert without hitting the sides
nabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 01:37 AM   #22
rsx
Lomac owned my ass at least once

Thanked 3,463 Times in 820 Posts
If you want to be in ANY profession that requires expertise: plumber, lawyer, doctor, accountant, mechanic, or interior designer, you need to take specific courses and graduate with that degree/certification. But in order to be a representative of the people for the government, you just need backing and $$.

They should really institute an election reform, where any government official position requires a mandatory certification, specifically designed for their job.

On top of that, campaign $ should be even across the board. No loopholes, no superpacs, contribution etc. Their tax returns should be scrutinized and anyone who receives lobbying $, or come close to receiving money with significant influence is barred from participating in politics and fined heavily by the CRA/IRS.

All debates should be run by a panel of experts in their field - economics, social welfare, finance, etc. No tv, radio ads.
rsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 09:27 AM   #23
I don't get it

lol john nguyen. what a disgrace.
dvst8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 10:44 AM   #24
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,118 Times in 530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsx View Post
If you want to be in ANY profession that requires expertise: plumber, lawyer, doctor, accountant, mechanic, or interior designer, you need to take specific courses and graduate with that degree/certification. But in order to be a representative of the people for the government, you just need backing and $$.

They should really institute an election reform, where any government official position requires a mandatory certification, specifically designed for their job.

On top of that, campaign $ should be even across the board. No loopholes, no superpacs, contribution etc. Their tax returns should be scrutinized and anyone who receives lobbying $, or come close to receiving money with significant influence is barred from participating in politics and fined heavily by the CRA/IRS.

All debates should be run by a panel of experts in their field - economics, social welfare, finance, etc. No tv, radio ads.
I somewhat understand your standpoint and have thought of the similar things.

The problem is everywhere in politics. Take Stephanie Banister as example, knowing how fucking stupid she is, WHO is the right mind would fund a dumbass bitch like her? It end up being party politics. People vote for the party, hence lobbyists funds the party and not directly to the individual running for office.

Even if that individual is the smartest person there, most voters don't think in a way like oh...this person is an expert in this field, I will vote for him. Most voters goes, I'm voting Liberal or NDP or Conservatives.
highfive is offline   Reply With Quote