REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 08-08-2013, 04:33 PM   #1
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

No jail time for Canada Day terrorist

Suspect in alleged Victoria bomb plot transferred to psychiatric ward, lawyer says - The Globe and Mail

"At least one of the two suspects accused of plotting to detonate bombs among Canada Day crowds has been transferred to a psychiatric ward, according to his lawyer."

So let me get this straight...a terrorist who planned to detonate a bomb to kill hundreds of men/women/children during the Canada Day's celebration is now transferred from jail to a comfy psych. ward that will be paid by our tax dollars? TERRORIST downplayed to PATIENT status?

Wtf Canada.
Advertisement
"stick car is funer then any auto but i will only take cl55amg, sl55amg, slk55amg, clk55amg, sl60amg if auto. why people drive auto becuz it is they can't drive the 6speed gear. auto is too slow of car means the seconds higher with the manual 1/4, 1/8
only fast auto is AMG ever. "
LancerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 04:34 PM   #2
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,381 Times in 3,907 Posts
did you follow any of the circumstances of the story? (it hasn't even reached trial yet)

do you realize it still hasn't been determined if he's fit to stand trial? (its in the article you linked) he may still be...

and btw a jail cell is funded by our tax dollars as well...

also a mental ward is a lot worse than jail

Last edited by StylinRed; 08-08-2013 at 04:40 PM.
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 04:41 PM   #3
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
Honestly the case illustrates to kids "Don't do drugs"... once the psychosis pathway takes root, there is no amount of rehab will fix ya.

Last edited by godwin; 08-08-2013 at 05:36 PM.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 04:46 PM   #4
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Today, on a list of things that would not happen in America...
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-08-2013, 04:52 PM   #5
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

the outcome is not even a story anymore...courts/lawyers/tax payers payout millions for these nonsense for the judge to give the accused a discharge or slap on the wrist or send them off with a promise that the accuse be good from here on in....
Old 08-08-2013, 05:14 PM   #6
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock View Post
Today, on a list of things that would not happen in America...
In America, forty-seven states will allow a defendant to plea insanity...

Does the name John Hinckley Jr. sound familiar?
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 05:28 PM   #7
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,581 Times in 4,297 Posts
at least its not like the states and they get tossed in a 4x6 cell for the rest of their lives. It's smart to see what they were thinking and hopefully give a rare insight on why someone would want to make a homegrown terrorist attack.
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 07:54 AM   #8
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,511 Times in 4,903 Posts
Always wAndered......just out of curiosity, murd0c, what was your avatar in for?
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 07:56 AM   #9
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Thanked 1,927 Times in 224 Posts
^ best guess, tax evasion
Old 08-09-2013, 08:11 AM   #10
RS Veteran

Thanked 1,265 Times in 618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LancerBoy View Post
Suspect in alleged Victoria bomb plot transferred to psychiatric ward, lawyer says - The Globe and Mail

"At least one of the two suspects accused of plotting to detonate bombs among Canada Day crowds has been transferred to a psychiatric ward, according to his lawyer."

So let me get this straight...a terrorist who planned to detonate a bomb to kill hundreds of men/women/children during the Canada Day's celebration is now transferred from jail to a comfy psych. ward that will be paid by our tax dollars? TERRORIST downplayed to PATIENT status?

Wtf Canada.
You do realize that even if the outcome of the trial was that one or both were sent to a psychiatric institution, it's far from "comfy". Have you been or know anyone that worked Colony Farms? These institutions suck. You are forced to take medication, and are monitored pretty much all day and have less "freedom" than being in a regular jail.
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 09:19 AM   #11
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
I was going more for a terrorist, suspected, attempted or otherwise actually going to psych instead of jail.

You think anyone is going to care enough to ask if Tsarnaev is fit to stand trial? You think anyone sitting at Gitmo is actually going to SEE a trial?
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 12:43 PM   #12
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
and two people get charged for distributing sexual photos at a house party. lol... maybe someone should complain.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 12:49 PM   #13
RS Veteran

Thanked 1,265 Times in 618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
and two people get charged for distributing sexual photos at a house party. lol... maybe someone should complain.
I am pretty sure both are Charged. It is Crown Counsel who approve charges, in BC. If charges were never approved, they both would have been released. So your comment about charge vs not charged is very inaccurate. Being charged and being convicted are 2 very different things.

Just because someone has been certified under the Mental Health act, does not dismiss them from Criminal Charges. Either way, if evidence supports someone is guilty of a Criminal Offence, whether they are "Not Criminally Responsible due to Mental Illness", does not mean they will be released back into public with no repercussion.
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-09-2013, 01:18 PM   #14
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
There are multiple reasons for why someone may get transferred to a psych ward. As mentioned in the article, it could be for something as simple as suicide watch. Psych wards are far more supervised than standard jail cells and are more adept at dealing with someone who may have suicidal tendencies.

This doesn't mean that he has gotten off "scot-free" with the bombing attempt.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: