REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Sunset beach maybe a bad place to swim soon.. (https://www.revscene.net/forums/687124-sunset-beach-maybe-bad-place-swim-soon.html)

FerrariEnzo 08-09-2013 04:03 AM

Sunset beach maybe a bad place to swim soon..

Quit pooping in the water: Vancouver Coastal Health

"Between July 31 and Aug. 8, the amount of colony-forming E. coli bacteria per 100 mL of water at the popular West End beach increased from 150 to 180.

If the level reaches 200, the popular hangout will be considered unsafe to swim at and the health authority would post warnings along the shoreline."

For those of you guys planning to go there.. becareful... otherwise you could be drinking more then just sea water! :badpokerface:

Vansterdam 08-09-2013 06:01 AM

wonder if the Pride festival had anything to do with it lol

I presume its from the fireworks+Pride festival

melloman 08-09-2013 07:23 AM

I don't know alot about bigger boats (yachts) but is it possible that they are "dumping their loads" :ifyouknow: before they hit the marina? Considering whenever I'm on the seawall, I don't see many people in the water, yet that is the only entrance/exit to False Creek where TONS of boats come in and out of.

:suspicious:

Lomac 08-09-2013 07:46 AM

Meh. I swam in a lake up in Naramata in the middle of an FSR that had a giant E-Coli warning sign on it. Nothing bad happened. Mind you, all the alcohol that weekend might have killed anything trying to get in... :lol

MG1 08-09-2013 07:57 AM

you're just too tough for just some e-coli

you are RS' version of Chuck Norris.

Gridlock 08-09-2013 09:16 AM

It doesn't have anything to do with pride, or fireworks and really, nothing to do with boat traffic either.

Boats are actually more heavily regulated than the city itself.

Vancouver sewage treatment is the basic level, and removes "solids" only. Everything else goes down the river, under the bridge and out to sea.

RacePace 08-09-2013 09:18 AM

This happens after the fireworks, always

Lomac 08-09-2013 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RacePace (Post 8297399)
This happens after the fireworks, always

Coincidental timing. Firework waste (and the crowds) don't really have anything to do with E-Coli buildup.

PeanutButter 08-09-2013 10:20 AM

Interestingly, the beaches in Toronto have a board posted daily that tells patrons the Ecoli count each day and Toronto's upper limit for safe water is only 100 Ecoli/100ml. It is interesting why Vancouver's is 200 Ecoli/100ml.

Bouncing Bettys 08-09-2013 11:06 AM

Victoria sends raw sewage to the ocean untreated. Strainers are in place only to prevent large solid objects, like tree branches, from damaging lift station pumps or causing blockages.

So Vancouverites, don't feel so bad while you feel so bad from E.coli.

Presto 08-09-2013 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gridlock (Post 8297398)
Vancouver sewage treatment is the basic level, and removes "solids" only.

Then this ecoli thing may be my bad. I've had massive, bowl-cracking runs, daily. It's been Mexican fiesta every night for the last month. :troll:

SoNaRWaVe 08-09-2013 02:57 PM

Although the article strictly says E. coli only, it doesn't specify which strain. E. coli can be used to measure the background bacteria level. Not saying its safe at all, just saying that the increase can be caused by alot of things, including, but not only feces. The articulation of " is likely caused by a combination of bird, dog and human feces." is just a first guess, without further testing of the water sample to find the cause. If the level of E. coli O157:H7 is increased, then I'd be more worried.

SoulCrusher 08-09-2013 11:08 PM

Its somewhat due to the lack of rain last month.
Posted via RS Mobile

Obsideon 08-09-2013 11:17 PM

I already stay out of the water on our beaches regardless of warnings ... it's just so ... green/brown looking ... :heckno:

Especially when you've been to Mexico/Hawaii ...:ahwow:
http://www.oceansoul.ca/wp-content/u...ncun-beach.jpg

keifun 08-09-2013 11:47 PM

its not just E.coli that is in the water. Other species considered as coliforms such as Klebsiella, Enterobacter and Enterococcus make up the the high readings in the water as well.

and I personally think 200 CFU/100mL is quite high. Don't know why our regulations are more relaxed than other places

RacePace 08-12-2013 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lomac (Post 8297406)
Coincidental timing. Firework waste (and the crowds) don't really have anything to do with E-Coli buildup.

Not saying it was the crowds, but the boats

MeowMeow 08-12-2013 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obsideon (Post 8297772)
I already stay out of the water on our beaches regardless of warnings ... it's just so ... green/brown looking ... :heckno:

Especially when you've been to Mexico/Hawaii ...:ahwow:

Went swimming in the ocean for the first time in 10 years when I was at Cuba.
Water here makes me go :X I don't even wanna dip my toe in it.

urrh 08-12-2013 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MeowMeow (Post 8298969)
Went swimming in the ocean for the first time in 10 years when I was at Cuba.
Water here makes me go :X I don't even wanna dip my toe in it.

you'd best avoid beaches too then. anything in water near the beach gets filtered into the sand.