REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 04-06-2014, 09:10 PM   #601
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,324 Times in 264 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not really racist! View Post
^ hows the traffic on the 99/massey?
Smooth sailing, unless theres an accident.
Advertisement
Paradise240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 10:42 PM   #602
& Associates Inc.

Thanked 1,215 Times in 409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptFiero View Post
I have been denied twice at the US Customs to go down. 1st time they said it was because they thought I had plans to illegally immigrate down there to the US. As I have a house and utilities in Oregon. (my father passed away and left me the house) 2nd time they brought up some bogus Criminal Record, saying I got arrested, in 94 and again in 96 which was not true. I got 2 speeding tickets at those times. UGH. I got the court records, plus copies of my lease to my house in Canada, plus copies of my CDN utilities and am going to try and make trip #3 Sunday. Anyone got any suggestions? I need to get to Oregon, the house has been empty for 6 months. I need to get down and check on it and the stuff in it. I am racking up utilities bills on a house I am not even living in. This is totally dumb, I have not done anything wrong, criminal or otherwise. The tickets I got back then, I was legally living down there, and paid them. (I was under age, and just got my first sports car, so ya I drove it a bit fast) Since I turned 18, I have never been arrested in either country and have not had a speeding ticket in 12 years anywhere. Only ticket I have ever gotten was for seat belt in the last 10 years.

Does anyone know any boarder guards for the US personally that could help me out. Its not like I am driving a 5ton, I am coming across in my little Fiero.

So PLEASE ANYONE HELP.
The previous two times you were denied did they tell you to bring anything for the future? I see you have the court records for the "convictions"...that should help.

Also try and take your Canadian tax paperwork and even bank statements(proving you have ties to Canada and have enough funds to support yourself)

Also if you go really later at night they're going to be tired and grumpy sooo I would recommend you go during noon or midday

If they deny you a 3rd time ask to speak to a Superintendent and make sure you take down notes of exactly what they want from you in order to allow entry.
Old 04-07-2014, 12:04 AM   #603
nah
My homepage has been set to RS

They're totally stepping up their checks at the border on the US side.

Today they had the dogs out in the Nexus lane sniffing at every vehicle and we got "randomly" pulled in today (first time ever). We were put through the wringer and we're Nexus pass holders. They go through detailed questioning a vehicle search at the end.
nah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 12:53 AM   #604
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nah View Post

Today they had the dogs out in the Nexus lane sniffing at every vehicle and we got "randomly" pulled in today (first time ever). We were put through the wringer and we're Nexus pass holders. They go through detailed questioning a vehicle search at the end.
I've seen this before, its nothing new. When they have the dog out it usually slows down the nexus lane quite a bit. If possible just switch lanes into a regular lane if its not busy.
Posted via RS Mobile
saveth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 10:43 AM   #605
MOD

Thanked 7,553 Times in 1,957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nah View Post

peach arch or truck crossing?

Gh0stRider's Buy & Sell Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
whole time i thought gh0strider was white lol

Gh0stRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 11:30 AM   #606
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,305 Times in 2,513 Posts
Good luck, CapFiero:

Denied entry to the U.S.? Don't panic - The Globe and Mail

Quote:
In any event, if you’re denied entry into the United States, the worst thing to do is to attempt entry at a different border crossing on the same day, thinking you have a fresh chance with a new officer. If you’re rejected at Vancouver International, don’t think about driving to the border at Blaine, Wash. That’s not a good move. In fact, it’s a bad one.

Denied admissions are updated in a centralized U.S. database and they are accessible immediately at every U.S. port of entry. This could jeopardize your ability to enter the United States for the rest of your life.

So stay calm. Don’t panic. And don’t do anything foolish. Work within the system, and if necessary, work with an immigration lawyer experienced in U.S. law, and chances are you’ll be able to return to the United States without having to worry about that minor criminal issue that arose when you were a wayward 19 year old.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 12:37 PM   #607
Need my Daily Fix of RS

brought back rc car from point Roberts
that fucking 4 eye (glasses) Asian guard he check my receipt and ask what is my email, seller's email then send me in for no reason.

the younger Asian guard name "hui" asked me few buying and selling procedures, then did basic check of my car, didn't even bother check the box then let me go.

wasted half hour for no reason, I think the older guard is letting the younger one practice how to ask question and search vehicles
aalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 01:31 PM   #608
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,820 Times in 501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aalex View Post
brought back rc car from point Roberts
that fucking 4 eye (glasses) Asian guard he check my receipt and ask what is my email, seller's email then send me in for no reason.

the younger Asian guard name "hui" asked me few buying and selling procedures, then did basic check of my car, didn't even bother check the box then let me go.

wasted half hour for no reason, I think the older guard is letting the younger one practice how to ask question and search vehicles
Was it "Lee?"

I have had him a few times, I've had literally zero problems with anyone except the female guard who grills me about my car, why I'm not in class, etc etc. Even got me to pop my trunk in front of the booth so she could inspect it, I got out and turned the car off so I could use the key to open my trunk (after explaining the interior trunk release doesn't work) and she visibly sighed and rolled her eyes... sorry I'm not on dat dere baller status, honey.
Tone Loc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 01:36 PM   #609
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARANOiA-R34 View Post
Was it "Lee?"

I have had him a few times, I've had literally zero problems with anyone except the female guard who grills me about my car, why I'm not in class, etc etc. Even got me to pop my trunk in front of the booth so she could inspect it, I got out and turned the car off so I could use the key to open my trunk (after explaining the interior trunk release doesn't work) and she visibly sighed and rolled her eyes... sorry I'm not on dat dere baller status, honey.
it could be lee, skinny typical Asian guy with glasses
I never had good feeling about him even before today

the white lady is pretty nice and only ask 1-2 simple questions then let me go without any trouble
aalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 01:43 PM   #610
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
Even if you are not in a hurry, take your time, be slow and thorough. It makes you feel better when you see the long line up behind you, and the stink eye the officer in charge gives to the person at the booth.

I always turn my car off when I get to the booth (safety first).. and take my time to start up and roll away. Imagine their looks if your car doesn't start and block the line!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARANOiA-R34 View Post
Was it "Lee?"

godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 02:01 PM   #611
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

I stopped going to point Roberts about a year ago. I find its more likely I'll be paying taxes using that border crossing over Blaine. I find if the officer looks inside and sees nobody inside, its almost certain I'll be told to go inside to pay taxes. I cross way more frequent at Blaine than I ever did at point Roberts and I have yet to be sent inside to pay any tax. Also, gas is cheaper in Blaine by about 10 cents which makes the decision a lot easier also.
Posted via RS Mobile
saveth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 11:46 AM   #612
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Anyone know where they sell Carhartt's in Washington?

I know I can check the website and see all the "retailers" that carry the Carhartt's brand but BF is looking specifically for overalls/ coveralls for work.

TIA!

Last edited by BaBiE_Bee; 04-09-2014 at 11:58 AM.
BaBiE_Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 12:54 PM   #613
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaBiE_Bee View Post

I know I can check the website and see all the "retailers" that carry the Carhartt's brand but BF is looking specifically for overalls/ coveralls for work.

TIA!
I would think Cabellas by the Premium Outlets would carry Carhartt products.
Old 04-09-2014, 01:04 PM   #614
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,514 Times in 4,905 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaBiE_Bee View Post

TIA!
Not in Washington, but they have a Carhartt store in Portland. It's their store, so it's nothing but Carhartt stuff. Prices were in the outlet price range. It's right next to Ikea and of course everything is tax free. I did the 48 hour trip to Portland and went to Beaverton and the other Vancouver while I was down there. Portland has a food truck court about the size of a city block - so cool. So many places to go in Portland area. While I was in the s Carhartt store, I asked if there were any stores closer to Canada and lady there mentioned Pike's Place Market in Seattle. Not sure if it's true or not. The store in Portland is called "The Carhartt Store."
Posted via RS Mobile
MG1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 03:49 PM   #615
mb_
WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB

Thanked 7,010 Times in 1,890 Posts
Got taxed for the very first time today but then again, I was bringing back almost 1k worth of goods lol.

Pacific Highway CBSA was easy to deal with and no surprises came up. When I was going into USA, I was literally at the booth for no more than 10 seconds - guy must have been at the end of his shift LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowguy View Post
fuck you hipster
Quote:
Originally Posted by trollguy View Post
then fuck you hipster akinari
Quote:
[23-05, 11:34] FastAnna suck a dick ygay
mb_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 10:47 PM   #616

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb_ View Post
Got taxed for the very first time today but then again, I was bringing back almost 1k worth of goods lol.

Pacific Highway CBSA was easy to deal with and no surprises came up. When I was going into USA, I was literally at the booth for no more than 10 seconds - guy must have been at the end of his shift LOL.
If you don't mind me asking, what did you buy? I am thinking of ordering a $720 LSD for my car and was wondering how much tax I'd have to pay on top of that. Garage Five is charging me $825 + tax, but with the crappy CDN dollar, if I get taxed I don't think I'll be saving any money...
Old 04-09-2014, 10:52 PM   #617
mb_
WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB

A set of wheels Tax is 12% of the amount declared in CDN dollar. Whether you get taxed or not is totally up to the CBSA guard
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 04-09-2014, 10:53 PM   #618
mb_
WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB

Damnit double post
Old 04-16-2014, 03:47 PM   #619
Need my Daily Fix of RS

^ I'm looking to buy some tires from TireRack, looks like its going to be cheaper to pay the exchange/duties/taxes than buying locally anyways. $5-600 USD value.
Also, someone told me that if the tires are made in the US then I dont pay duties? Anyone confirm that?
So I'm really just looking at paying the 12% tax coming back into Canada? Any tips on how to avoid that?

Sorry I'm sure this has been covered somewhere in the 25 pages of this thread. I'll start to slowly read through it now but figured I'd see if anyones got a quick answer/tips for me. Thanks!
Old 04-16-2014, 04:06 PM   #620

Quote:
Originally Posted by scENFORCER View Post
^ I'm looking to buy some tires from TireRack, looks like its going to be cheaper to pay the exchange/duties/taxes than buying locally anyways. $5-600 USD value.
Also, someone told me that if the tires are made in the US then I dont pay duties? Anyone confirm that?
So I'm really just looking at paying the 12% tax coming back into Canada? Any tips on how to avoid that?

Sorry I'm sure this has been covered somewhere in the 25 pages of this thread. I'll start to slowly read through it now but figured I'd see if anyones got a quick answer/tips for me. Thanks!
No duties on anything made in/coming from the US, as far as I know. Don't quote me on that as I've only ever ordered car parts and such, not an expensive-clothes kinda guy :P

12% tax will apply though. It depends on the border officer at CBSA to determine whether or not you get taxed. Most expensive item that I "got away with" in terms of avoiding tax was $400 worth of bodybuilding supplements for me and my friends. They were all in the car though (4 people). I imagine if you go alone the personal exemption limit may be lower. That being said, don't lie or un-declare items unless you want to pay out the arse... I've had idiot friends make bad choices and pay for it, quite literally.
Old 04-16-2014, 04:08 PM   #621
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Actually thats a good point, its $200 per day right? So if I go with 2-3 people then the value of the tires divided up between us should be below $200. That may just work. Thanks!
Old 04-16-2014, 04:20 PM   #622
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,074 Times in 1,184 Posts
Quote:
Actually thats a good point, its $200 per day right? So if I go with 2-3 people then the value of the tires divided up between us should be below $200. That may just work. Thanks!
Actually the personal exemptions are:

Less than 24 hours = none
24-48 hours = Up to CAN$200
48+ hours = Up to CAN$800
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 04:26 PM   #623
Need my Daily Fix of RS

^ Ah gotcha, good to know. Guess I'll be stuck paying the 12% tax. Oh well, still cheaper than buying here.
Old 04-16-2014, 04:52 PM   #624
My homepage has been set to RS

Had my first experience with a search a few days ago. Coming through Nexus with some jerry cans and nothing else. 3 hours later and after my car was torn apart, pockets inside out and phone searched though I was on my merry way. Random my ass. Next time I'll remember not to wear a backwards had.

Jerks.

If this is still in my sig, it's still avail.
falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 06:04 PM   #625

Quote:
^ Ah gotcha, good to know. Guess I'll be stuck paying the 12% tax. Oh well, still cheaper than buying here.
While Gumby's post is correct, the CBSA very rarely taxes EVERYONE coming through, as it poses a huge strain on manpower, resources, time, etc. Remember that they are trying to balance not wasting people's time and taxpayer money with enforcement of customs laws and payment of taxes. If the CBSA did a thorough search and taxation of everyone, it would likely cost more in taxpayer money than their current policy now of only taxing higher-value items.

As a result, I've yet to be taxed on anything under $200 in value whenever I cross the border. Not looking like a D-Bag helps too, if you do get taxed just take it and don't complain, remember that they have the right to do so!