REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 12-13-2014, 06:01 PM   #1001
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,833 Times in 1,836 Posts
Went in the morning, 2 hours from the time I lined up to go south bound until i crossed back north bound. Regular lane, including small line up at tsb.
Advertisement
Old 12-14-2014, 01:39 AM   #1002
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vege View Post
I have been pulled into the office to have my car searched when crossing into the US through the Nexus lane and have had a Customs Officer get upset with me because I didn't answer specific enough.

Customs: What is your purpose for entering the United States?
Me: I am going to get groceries in Bellingham.
Customs: That is not what I asked you, what is your purpose for entering the United States?
Me: ???? I am going to get groceries at Costco and Fred Meyer in Bellingham.
Customs: Groceries could be anything. Are you meeting up with someone to purchase drugs.
Me: No sir, I am planning to buy a roasted chicken, bread, eggs and etc. My grocery list is in the car.
Customs: Next time be specific so you don't waste my time asking you the same questions.
Me: Ok....
https://help.cbp.gov/app/forms/complaint/
l2_narain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 07:55 AM   #1003
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOS'd View Post
I've only had one not so pleasant experience crossing the border south, happened back in August.

Him: Where are you going?
Me: Bellingham airport to fly to Las Vegas for x amount of days.
Me: I am going to the Bellingham airport..(cuts me off)
Him: No. You are not an American citizen, you do not have the right to enter our country and go where you want. I have the right to deny your entry because you are not an American. So I will ask you again. Where are you going.
Me: I would like to go to the airport so I can fly to Las Vegas..(cuts me off)
Him: So you would LIKE to go to the airport. You need to ask permission to enter the USA. Because you have now asked properly, I have decided to let you enter. (hands back passports) Go.

Probably left out some of his other points but that was the gist of it. Saying how its a privilege and that I should be grateful to enter his holy country bullshit.

powertrip much.

Wish I was driving my car so I could have recorded the conversation. So wtf.
I had the same thing happen to me when my wife and I went to the Seahawks Superbowl parade.

Me: We're going to Seattle for the Seahawks parade.
Him: You're GOING to Seattle or you would LIKE to go to Seattle?
Me: I would LIKE to go to Seattle.
Him: Only US citizens go to Seattle, you are not a US citizen so you are asking if you can go to Seattle.
Me: I am asking if I can please go to Seattle for the Seahawks parade.
Him: *gives back passports* You are now allowed to visit Seattle.

I can understand the difference but damn, he was being so technical. He could have also just been miserable seeing as it was 5:30am and absolutely freezing outside hahaha.

That being said, I've had the complete opposite where the Customs Officer actually said "Welcome to the United States of America, enjoy your visit and drive carefully" with a smile, as he handed me back my passport.
This post thanked by:
Old 12-15-2014, 08:26 AM   #1004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittlez160 View Post
I had the same thing happen to me when my wife and I went to the Seahawks Superbowl parade.

Me: We're going to Seattle for the Seahawks parade.
Him: You're GOING to Seattle or you would LIKE to go to Seattle?
Me: I would LIKE to go to Seattle.
Him: Only US citizens go to Seattle, you are not a US citizen so you are asking if you can go to Seattle.
Me: I am asking if I can please go to Seattle for the Seahawks parade.
Him: *gives back passports* You are now allowed to visit Seattle.

I can understand the difference but damn, he was being so technical. He could have also just been miserable seeing as it was 5:30am and absolutely freezing outside hahaha.

That being said, I've had the complete opposite where the Customs Officer actually said "Welcome to the United States of America, enjoy your visit and drive carefully" with a smile, as he handed me back my passport.
At least your guy gave you options lol. Mine wanted to play some mind reading game I guess. My only bad experience compared to the many great/average times.
Old 12-15-2014, 10:27 AM   #1005
The RS Freebie guru

Thanked 2,491 Times in 860 Posts
Quote:
At least your guy gave you options lol. Mine wanted to play some mind reading game I guess. My only bad experience compared to the many great/average times.
Sounds like the same guy, except he was PMSing when you got him.

He clearly sounds like some over-patriotic douchebag that relishes in the opportunity to "educate" Canadians on the privilege of being allowed into the great US of A.
InvisibleSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 10:40 AM   #1006
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,231 Times in 2,482 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by InvisibleSoul View Post
Sounds like the same guy, except he was PMSing when you got him.

He clearly sounds like some over-patriotic douchebag that relishes in the opportunity to "educate" Canadians on the privilege of being allowed into the great US of A.
Except this fxxker is clearly leading you on to set you up for the power trip. Note that he was asking:

Quote:
If he really wanted you to tell him where you would like to go, he should have been asking:

Quote:
Him: Where would you like to go?
Him: Where do you want to go?
If he asked me where I am going, I'll tell him where I am going. If he is asking me where I would like to go, I'll tell him where I would like to go.

There is a major difference here. Physically, I might be on my way down to Seattle. But mentally, maybe I wanted to stay home and get some more sleep?

What a fxxking douchebag... Clearly he is having some sort of pxnis inferiority issues, and need to make up for that with this power trip bullshxt...
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 10:50 AM   #1007
The RS Freebie guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
Except this fxxker is clearly leading you on to set you up for the power trip. Note that he was asking:

If he really wanted you to tell him where you would like to go, he should have been asking:

If he asked me where I am going, I'll tell him where I am going. If he is asking me where I would like to go, I'll tell him where I would like to go.

There is a major difference here. Physically, I might be on my way down to Seattle. But mentally, maybe I wanted to stay home and get some more sleep?

What a fxxking douchebag... Clearly he is having some sort of pxnis inferiority issues, and need to make up for that with this power trip bullshxt...

Yeah, I know... this is what I posted about TOS'd's experience:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvisibleSoul View Post
That is ridiculous.

Hey customs agent douchebag, if you want the proper answer, then ask the proper question.

Who the hell answers "Where are you going?" with "I would like to go to the Bellingham airport?"

Ask the question as "Where would you like to go?" then, asshole.
Old 12-15-2014, 11:39 AM   #1008
nma
#RVG

Had a really shitty experience one time. They were doing construction at peace arch, and the roadway went through the inspections parts and out the other way. I was crossing the border and didn't notice that they finished construction and accidentally went the way it was before (I was in the far left lane)... Any ways, I couldn't back out so I drove through to the gate. I pull up and politely tell the officer why I was mistaken. He was SUPER rude. Asked me if cement goes up and moves by it self, tells me there was never any road work, super sarcastic etc.. This whole time I'm just being polite and apologizing. He continues ragging by asking me why I'm smiling, if I find it funny.. etc... Eventually he's done spazzing and I'm like.. Okay, so can I enter? He literally yelled at me "DO YOU WANT TO ENTER THE US?". I said, "Yes please.."

and he finally let me through.. lol
nma is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-15-2014, 02:49 PM   #1009
My homepage has been set to RS

damn, i hardly have issues entering us, specially with a nexus, always thought canadian guards are asses,
tool001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 03:17 PM   #1010
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tool001 View Post
damn, i hardly have issues entering us, specially with a nexus, always thought canadian guards are asses,
Same here.

Of the many countless time I've drove to the US before I got a Nexus and even now with a Nexus, never got into any problems with the US border guards. They never spazzed at me.

Always the same :

US Guard: Where you going?
Me: *insert destination*
US Guard: Have a good day

Its coming back to Canada and dealing with some anal CBSA gaurds; mainly the female ones. Sometime I luck out and drive back tax-free, other times not so lucky and have to go in and pay. Depends what I buy and who I'm with.

Last edited by keifun; 12-15-2014 at 03:37 PM.
keifun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 03:33 PM   #1011
nma
#RVG

Quote:
Originally Posted by keifun View Post
Same here.

Of the many countless time I've drove to the US before I got a Nexus and even now with a Nexus, never got into any problems with the US border guards. They never spazzed at me.

Always the same same:

US Guard: Where you going?
Me: *insert destination*
US Guard: Have a good day

Its coming back to Canada and dealing with some anal CBSA gaurds; mainly the female ones. Sometime I luck out and dry back tax-free, other times not so lucky and have to go in and pay. Depends what I buy and who I'm with.
I've never had any sort of problems either. Both ways and especially with Nexus. Just that one time the guy was a HUGE prick
Old 12-15-2014, 03:42 PM   #1012

Just the nature of going down, it makes sense why its usually easy going down to the states and more questions coming back. Not counting the exceptions to this. Almost all the time you go down to the states with nothing and you come back with stuff. So not much in terms of questions from the US guards. Whereas you usually come back to Canada with purchases, thus all the questions they ask you on your way up.

On that note, I recently went down to the states to return something. On my way down, I told the US guard that I was going to the outlet malls to return something and he let me through. Wasn't really looking for anything that day, so I went to eat and a small <$10 purchase at Trader Joes. On the way back north, I pulled up to the window, it was an east indian guard.

Him: Where do you both live?
Me: Vancouver
Him: What were you doing in the states?
Me: Returning some clothes at the outlet mall. Bought a drink and a bag of popcorn(Trader Joe stuff)
Him: Value of returns?
Me: $180
Him: Can I see the receipt?
Me: *hands receipt*
Him: Reason for return?
Me: They were Christmas presents but parents saw them and said to return them because they didn't want them.

Then we went back and forth about how its difficult to please parents no matter what you do. You try to buy them a gift, but they don't it and tell you to return it. He talked about how it was like that for him growing up too. And how east indian and asian cultures are similar in that sense. lol.

Finally we were done talking after a couple of minutes and he wished me luck finding a new present.

Now that was a good and pretty funny experience.
Old 12-15-2014, 04:00 PM   #1013
I bringith the lowerballerith

Thanked 2,708 Times in 364 Posts
Quote:
Just the nature of going down, it makes sense why its usually easy going down to the states and more questions coming back. Not counting the exceptions to this. Almost all the time you go down to the states with nothing and you come back with stuff. So not much in terms of questions from the US guards. Whereas you usually come back to Canada with purchases, thus all the questions they ask you on your way up.

On that note, I recently went down to the states to return something. On my way down, I told the US guard that I was going to the outlet malls to return something and he let me through. Wasn't really looking for anything that day, so I went to eat and a small <$10 purchase at Trader Joes. On the way back north, I pulled up to the window, it was an east indian guard.

Him: Where do you both live?
Me: Vancouver
Him: What were you doing in the states?
Me: Returning some clothes at the outlet mall. Bought a drink and a bag of popcorn(Trader Joe stuff)
Him: Value of returns?
Me: $180
Him: Can I see the receipt?
Me: *hands receipt*
Him: Reason for return?
Me: They were Christmas presents but parents saw them and said to return them because they didn't want them.

Then we went back and forth about how its difficult to please parents no matter what you do. You try to buy them a gift, but they don't it and tell you to return it. He talked about how it was like that for him growing up too. And how east indian and asian cultures are similar in that sense. lol.

Finally we were done talking after a couple of minutes and he wished me luck finding a new present.

Now that was a good and pretty funny experience.
i wonder if this is the same border guard that told me did your momma tell you to get some milk
Old 12-15-2014, 04:11 PM   #1014
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Had a pretty interesting experience going down today as well. Headed down, and noticed a ready lane next to me and was wondering if I could use that lane as well as it didn't say NEXUS on top. I asked the guard and the dialogue was something along the lines of the following:

Me: Quick question, can I use that ready lane?
Him: You didn't read the book did you?
Me: Not really, no
Him: Well it works like this, the nexus card is like an orange. The nexus lane only accepts citrus fruits, while the ready lane accepts any fruit, and the regular lane accepts all food. You have the best one. Have a good day.

He finished off with telling me to have a good day.

Didn't expect that one for sure.
dyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 04:19 PM   #1015
My homepage has been set to RS

tool001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 04:43 PM   #1016
The RS Freebie guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyan View Post
Him: Well it works like this, the nexus card is like an orange. The nexus lane only accepts citrus fruits, while the ready lane accepts any fruit, and the regular lane accepts all food. You have the best one. Have a good day.
What would the other "citrus fruits" be, and what would the "any fruit" be?
Old 12-15-2014, 04:43 PM   #1017

Thanked 2,093 Times in 452 Posts
Never had a bad experience, especially since I got my Nexus, it's almost laughable how easy it is.

Me: Outlet malls
Him: .....Does it have turbo?
Me: Yes.
Him: /waves me through

True story.
Old 12-15-2014, 04:53 PM   #1018
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,307 Times in 1,775 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by belaud View Post
Never had a bad experience, especially since I got my Nexus, it's almost laughable how easy it is.

Me: Outlet malls
Him: .....Does it have turbo?
Me: Yes.
Him: /waves me through

True story.
Bradford....?

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 05:23 PM   #1019
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,497 Times in 4,892 Posts
That's Bradford to everyone else.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 06:01 PM   #1020
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,687 Times in 1,624 Posts
Now that we're all recounting interesting border stories, here's mine.

I was born in Jerusalem (don't ask), and before I had my nexus, I'd use my passport to drive across.

One day, I drive up to the booth, hand over my passport, and the guard starts speaking Hebrew to me. I'm like dude I've no idea what you're saying...lol. So he asks why an asian kid has a Canadian passport and is born in Israel. So after answering, he kept asking if I'd been here and there (out of interest, not suspicion I think), and then let me through.

Actually, come to think of it, occurrences like that are probably why the damn lines are so long.
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 06:38 PM   #1021
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,732 Times in 1,168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by inv4zn View Post
Now that we're all recounting interesting border stories, here's mine.

I was born in Jerusalem (don't ask), and before I had my nexus, I'd use my passport to drive across.
You are lucky that you don't have a CDN passport with US cities as birthplace.

My son was born a few weeks earlier than expected while my wife was doing some preliminary work (renting a place, meeting with future co-workers... etc) for her research in UC Irvine down in SoCal (we were planning to have the kid in US, since she'd have started her work there by the due date. But she didn't have her F1 visa yet, which created some problem).

Once when crossing the border, we forgot my son's US passport, so we figured we'd use his CDN passport. It turned out to be quicker to just turn around to pick his passport up. A lot of bizarre questions and we were treated like criminals.

The worse part? At the end of the whole ordeal, I asked if it's possible to give up my son's US citizenship just to avoid all this... the officer just told me, flat out, no. It's not up to me to decide for the fate of their fellow "citizen" even though I'm the dad.

Fortunately, they told me they made a note on the system and it shouldn't happen again.

Last edited by Hehe; 12-15-2014 at 06:48 PM.
Hehe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 07:31 PM   #1022

Dang I have quite a few "cool" border stories but I don't wanna type them all out lol
Old 12-15-2014, 08:03 PM   #1023
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
My experience with a shitty guard:

Guard: Where are you going
Me: to fill up gas and pick up a package from hagens
Guard: there are many gas stations in the united states, where are you going?
Me: Sir, would I drive to New York to fill up gas?
Guard: go ahead.
Me: Thanks

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 07:26 AM   #1024
nma
#RVG

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_handheld View Post
My experience with a shitty guard:

Guard: Where are you going
Me: to fill up gas and pick up a package from hagens
Guard: there are many gas stations in the united states, where are you going?
Me: Sir, would I drive to New York to fill up gas?
Guard: go ahead.
Me: Thanks
lol, usually being a smart ass just guarantees you're going to spend a minimum of 10 minutes more at the border..

I'm beginning to think that they sometimes use these kind of tactics to check how you respond... As in like they try to piss you off and see if you're violent or some shit.. who knows.. maybe they are just dicks LOL
Old 12-16-2014, 08:41 AM   #1025
The RS Freebie guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by inv4zn View Post
One day, I drive up to the booth, hand over my passport, and the guard starts speaking Hebrew to me. I'm like dude I've no idea what you're saying...lol. So he asks why an asian kid has a Canadian passport and is born in Israel. So after answering, he kept asking if I'd been here and there (out of interest, not suspicion I think), and then let me through.

Actually, come to think of it, occurrences like that are probably why the damn lines are so long.
LoL, yeah... I've definitely had a few experiences like these. Actually got this same white US border agent twice, and both times he automatically starts asking questions in Mandarin.

I'm like because I don't understand Mandarin. Then he does some random chit chat for a bit longer, while I just smile and in my head, I'm thinking "Can I go yet?!"
This post thanked by: