REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum


Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2016, 10:24 PM   #1301
I subscribe to the Revscene NWS thread(s)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,486
Thanked 253 Times in 197 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades View Post
Maybe not holiday but what times specifically?
Haha, what Gatorade said - the last day of any long weekend. Come back around 6-8PM for lots of traffic. :P

However, with the current crap exchange rate, the waits aren't super long coming back to Canada. Coming back last Victoria Day, it was maybe a 30 minute wait coming back into Canada.

If you want to dodge paying taxes, you'd be better off just keeping your total under $200 for a same day trip and spreading your purchases out over several trips if you're going to spend more than that.
Advertisement
syee is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-28-2016, 07:07 AM   #1302
MOD
 
Gh0stRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: VANCOUVER
Posts: 26,377
Thanked 7,004 Times in 1,810 Posts
I came back on Sunday via pac highway at 6pm and lineup was not past the duty free shop and nexus was less than 5 min
__________________
M0D3RAT0R


Gh0stRider's Buy & Sell Feedback


Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
whole time i thought gh0strider was white lol

Gh0stRider is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-24-2016, 03:34 PM   #1303
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS
 
SSM_DC5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,521
Thanked 334 Times in 137 Posts
What can I expect at the border if I'm bringing a used car part into the states to sell?
Is it just verbal declaration and potentially have to pay duty?
SSM_DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 05:45 PM   #1304
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS
 
smaggs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Surrey
Posts: 584
Thanked 920 Times in 161 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSM_DC5 View Post
What can I expect at the border if I'm bringing a used car part into the states to sell?
Is it just verbal declaration and potentially have to pay duty?
If you want to be completely prepared, fill out a form 7533 as best you can and you might have to pay duty. and do NOT go through Nexus as this would be considered traveling for commercial purposes.
smaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 02:16 PM   #1305
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 18,279
Thanked 7,907 Times in 3,100 Posts
Damn, Orange Chicken from Winco deli is so damn good. I get some every week when I'm down there. I'll put it up against any orange chicken from most restaurants, especially at $2.48 USD / LB. I have yet to be disappointed, except the one time they were all sold out, lol.

Even with the exchange rate being so shitty, there are still bargains to be had south of the border. Plus, a lot of stuff I get is not available up here. Like Xtra large clear garbage bags. The ones that fit 55 gallon cans. You cannot get them up here easily, now that Costco stopped selling them.

On the way back, I hit up Northwood Casino for exchange plus days (Wednesdays and Saturdays this month and maybe into August) 10% over going rate. I only go if a family member or two come along, then it's worth the extra trip off the beaten path.

Ice cream from Edaleen Dairy is a bonus, especially when their exchange rate is 85 cents on purchases.


Oh........ and of course, Dickey's!

Also, all these places are in Lynden, so I cross at the Aldergrove crossing. It is always less busy than other crossings. Today, no cars lined up.

Last edited by MG1; 07-27-2016 at 02:39 PM.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 11:11 AM   #1306
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 18,279
Thanked 7,907 Times in 3,100 Posts
So, went across the border today at around 7:30 am. I have an Enhanced Drivers License, so I am able to cross at the Ready Lane. I do this every week. Today, I went through the lane as usual, but forgot it was a Saturday. To keep the story short, I got busted for Nexus Violation, which carries a penalty of $5000.00 USD.

If I am not able to pay the amount, the vehicle gets seized. WTF?

Luckily, it was my first offence and I got off with a warning. Damn.......... not doing that again. I had to get in line and get a vehicle inspection. The border guard was a total jerk about it. It was a mistake, not a federal crime against the state, but dude got all upset and rude.

I just kept my mouth shut and took it like a champ, LOL. It was my fault, no doubt about it, but being a jerk was not necessary

On the way back the crossing was fast and pleasant. I wAnder if our border guards get all pissy like that.


The other thing is, the sign above doesn't always display that it is a "Ready Lane" even if it is within the designated time and days. Anyway, dude was this miserable old fart who looked like he had nothing in life to look forward to........ except rant and take it out on Canadians, LOL.

A big, FUCK YOU, to that border guard for going above and beyond his duty.

god bless.........
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 12:49 PM   #1307
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS
 
underscore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Kel-pwn-a
Posts: 11,542
Thanked 4,606 Times in 2,019 Posts
So if you accidentally go into a lane that has been turned into a Nexus lane for the day you can get a $5k fine? What prick thought that one up?
__________________
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S // 1991 Toyota Celica GTFour RC FOR SALE // 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-06-2016, 02:56 PM   #1308
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
Hehe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: YVR/TPE
Posts: 2,852
Thanked 1,346 Times in 550 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
So, went across the border today at around 7:30 am. I have an Enhanced Drivers License, so I am able to cross at the Ready Lane. I do this every week. Today, I went through the lane as usual, but forgot it was a Saturday. To keep the story short, I got busted for Nexus Violation, which carries a penalty of $5000.00 USD.

If I am not able to pay the amount, the vehicle gets seized. WTF?

Luckily, it was my first offence and I got off with a warning. Damn.......... not doing that again. I had to get in line and get a vehicle inspection. The border guard was a total jerk about it. It was a mistake, not a federal crime against the state, but dude got all upset and rude.

I just kept my mouth shut and took it like a champ, LOL. It was my fault, no doubt about it, but being a jerk was not necessary

On the way back the crossing was fast and pleasant. I wAnder if our border guards get all pissy like that.


The other thing is, the sign above doesn't always display that it is a "Ready Lane" even if it is within the designated time and days. Anyway, dude was this miserable old fart who looked like he had nothing in life to look forward to........ except rant and take it out on Canadians, LOL.

A big, FUCK YOU, to that border guard for going above and beyond his duty.

god bless.........
With the amount of travel you seem to be doing, I'm surprised you haven't gotten the NEXUS. It's the best $50 you'd ever spend. Heck, even at once a month I'd say it's totally worth the trouble.
__________________
Nothing for now
Hehe is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-06-2016, 05:59 PM   #1309
I subscribe to the Revscene NWS thread(s)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,486
Thanked 253 Times in 197 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
So, went across the border today at around 7:30 am. I have an Enhanced Drivers License, so I am able to cross at the Ready Lane. I do this every week. Today, I went through the lane as usual, but forgot it was a Saturday. To keep the story short, I got busted for Nexus Violation, which carries a penalty of $5000.00 USD.

If I am not able to pay the amount, the vehicle gets seized. WTF?

Luckily, it was my first offence and I got off with a warning. Damn.......... not doing that again. I had to get in line and get a vehicle inspection. The border guard was a total jerk about it. It was a mistake, not a federal crime against the state, but dude got all upset and rude.

I just kept my mouth shut and took it like a champ, LOL. It was my fault, no doubt about it, but being a jerk was not necessary

On the way back the crossing was fast and pleasant. I wAnder if our border guards get all pissy like that.


The other thing is, the sign above doesn't always display that it is a "Ready Lane" even if it is within the designated time and days. Anyway, dude was this miserable old fart who looked like he had nothing in life to look forward to........ except rant and take it out on Canadians, LOL.

A big, FUCK YOU, to that border guard for going above and beyond his duty.

god bless.........
Canadian side is just as picky for NEXUS violations. Mine was different in that I told them I had picked up an item for a friend while using the NEXUS lane which apparently is also a big no-no. They said I couldn't do this and sent me inside to secondary inspection. They now have an official warning on my record.
syee is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-07-2016, 04:37 AM   #1310
My homepage has been set to RS
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Abbotsford
Posts: 2,468
Thanked 1,174 Times in 365 Posts
Nexus has been my best investment in a while. I used to fuel up at ungodly hours to avoid lines (5am before work) or late at night. Now with my Nexus I can swing through any time grab gas and packages.
cdizzle_996 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 07:36 AM   #1311
HELP ME PLS!!!
 
6793026's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: BC, HK, USA
Posts: 5,605
Thanked 1,351 Times in 477 Posts
i'm up for a renewal for Nexus.
did it online, it's been 3 weeks, no additional changes yet,, still pending.
It's due for a renewal in 6 mths.

anyone know what the wait time is like?
__________________
Arguing on the internet is like running in the SPECIAL OLYMPICS.

Even if you win, you're still retarded.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 07:29 AM   #1312
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 18,279
Thanked 7,907 Times in 3,100 Posts
I'm dropping off a relative (Canadian Citizen) at Sea Tac Airport at the end of this month. Other than the usual get there well ahead of time, anything else I should be aware of when crossing the border? I'll stay in Seattle and do some shopping.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 08:53 AM   #1313
Revscene.net has a homepage?!
 
Skittlez160's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,223
Thanked 134 Times in 41 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
I'm dropping off a relative (Canadian Citizen) at Sea Tac Airport at the end of this month. Other than the usual get there well ahead of time, anything else I should be aware of when crossing the border? I'll stay in Seattle and do some shopping.
I've done this a few times and it's pretty straight forward. I just tell them what my intentions are including other plans and that's usually good enough. They might ask you details regarding the flight (airline, flight #, etc.), so have those details ready. Sometimes I'll have my passenger hold their flight details/paperwork (boarding pass/confirmation email) in their hands or I'll hold them myself. It's much easier to read off the details or hand them off to the officer. Some officers will notice these details as well and it makes the process go smoother.
__________________
'15 RM4 / '13 YF4 / '78 SBD
www.thespeedsyndicate.com
Skittlez160 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-08-2016, 08:59 AM   #1314
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 18,279
Thanked 7,907 Times in 3,100 Posts
Thanks........... RS, so helpful.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 09:58 AM   #1315
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 324
Thanked 40 Times in 29 Posts
So something I found out quite interesting while filling up gas.
I usually bring extra 2 gas cans with me to fill up. 5 Gallon/can
Last few times I been filling cans first instead of the car first so I can see exactly how much difference there is between my cans and the actual meter.
I filled up 5Gal each can to the marker
Texaco showed 10.75Gal and Shell showed up 10.50Gal.
I am not sure if it's stations dependent within the gas station or not.
I will attempt mini-USA today if i have a chance.
but with 7.5% margin is a little too much IMHO, you are almost paying an extra gallon per 10 Gal you fill.
will update for shit and giggles
Jonydakiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 08:52 PM   #1316
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: WEST VAN
Posts: 520
Thanked 704 Times in 136 Posts
I'm flying from Bellingham to Vegas. If I cross the land border with my Enhanced DL and then fly out from Bellingham do I need my passport when I fly within the US? my passport expired and I'm not sure if I can get it together in time

Last edited by pb.kidz; 08-11-2016 at 08:32 AM.
pb.kidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 10:13 PM   #1317
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
Traum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Paradise, BC
Posts: 2,767
Thanked 2,087 Times in 911 Posts
^^ Nowadays, I'd still recommend you to bring your passport for the flight. I wouldn't bother using it to cross the land border since you have an EDL (unless the US officer asks for it).
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-11-2016, 07:45 AM   #1318
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS
 
underscore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Kel-pwn-a
Posts: 11,542
Thanked 4,606 Times in 2,019 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb.kidz View Post
I'm flying from Bellingham to Vegas. If I cross the land border with my Enhanced DL and then fly out from Bellingham do I need my passport when I fly within the US?
I'd bring it just in case you end up having to fly back direct for whatever reason.
__________________
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S // 1991 Toyota Celica GTFour RC FOR SALE // 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-11-2016, 07:52 AM   #1319
In RS I Trust
 
murd0c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Mission
Posts: 19,362
Thanked 16,592 Times in 3,874 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonydakiller View Post
So something I found out quite interesting while filling up gas.
I usually bring extra 2 gas cans with me to fill up. 5 Gallon/can
Last few times I been filling cans first instead of the car first so I can see exactly how much difference there is between my cans and the actual meter.
I filled up 5Gal each can to the marker
Texaco showed 10.75Gal and Shell showed up 10.50Gal.
I am not sure if it's stations dependent within the gas station or not.
I will attempt mini-USA today if i have a chance.
but with 7.5% margin is a little too much IMHO, you are almost paying an extra gallon per 10 Gal you fill.
will update for shit and giggles
you are getting what you pay for since the gas can't are not accurate and you are more then likely filling up that extra amount.
murd0c is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 08:32 AM   #1320
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: WEST VAN
Posts: 520
Thanked 704 Times in 136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
^^ Nowadays, I'd still recommend you to bring your passport for the flight. I wouldn't bother using it to cross the land border since you have an EDL (unless the US officer asks for it).
Reason is my passport expired not sure if I can get it together in time
pb.kidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 08:41 AM   #1321
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS
 
SSM_DC5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,521
Thanked 334 Times in 137 Posts
According to this http://www.icbc.com/driver-licensing.../edl-guide.pdf

Edl is only good for land and water travel. Air travel needs passport or nexus
SSM_DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 08:47 AM   #1322
I subscribe to the Revscene NWS thread(s)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,486
Thanked 253 Times in 197 Posts
I'd bring it anyways, even if it's expired. If you want to be safe, you can always take it to the passport office and have an express renewal done. (same day) Probably would cost a bunch though.

I've tried to use my NEXUS card as identification to pass through security and they didn't accept it as identification. However, seeing how most US residents use their drivers license as identification for boarding a flight or security , I don't see why a BC drivers license wouldn't qualify as proper ID.

Last edited by syee; 08-11-2016 at 09:05 AM.
syee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 08:53 AM   #1323
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
Traum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Paradise, BC
Posts: 2,767
Thanked 2,087 Times in 911 Posts
Sorry I failed at reading again. Didn't see the expired passport bit.

At any rate, "Express Pick Up" service is available for only $50, and it can be done between 2 - 9 business days:

Pay your passport fee in Canada

so I'd say that is quite cheap. If you want to, Urgent pick up (by end of next business day) can be done for $110.

I am a little more risk adverse, so if there is enough time, I'd go for the $50 express renewal option. I did it a few years ago when I renewed my passport, and it took 5 business days. YMMV though.
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 02:33 PM   #1324
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS
 
underscore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Kel-pwn-a
Posts: 11,542
Thanked 4,606 Times in 2,019 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSM_DC5 View Post
According to this http://www.icbc.com/driver-licensing.../edl-guide.pdf

Edl is only good for land and water travel. Air travel needs passport or nexus
They're crossing the border by land and flying domestically within the US. I still wouldn't risk trying to get on a plane with just a DL and having some TSA agent not understand how you got into the country with no passport.
__________________
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S // 1991 Toyota Celica GTFour RC FOR SALE // 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 03:00 PM   #1325
I subscribe to the Revscene NWS thread(s)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,486
Thanked 253 Times in 197 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
They're crossing the border by land and flying domestically within the US. I still wouldn't risk trying to get on a plane with just a DL and having some TSA agent not understand how you got into the country with no passport.
TSA can barely do their own job, let alone anyone elses job. According to this TSA page, a Canadian drivers license is OK to pass a TSA security checkpoint which is what the OP is asking about.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-...identification
syee is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Revscene.net cannot be held accountable for the actions of its members nor does the opinions of the members represent that of Revscene.net