REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 08-13-2013, 10:41 PM   #101

Thanked 5,474 Times in 2,095 Posts
Anyone ever bring their supplements to the US while crossing?

Planning to bring my preworkout but worried border patrol might seize it as it comes in powdered form

If its sealed would it be fine? lol
Advertisement
Old 08-13-2013, 11:17 PM   #102
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

should be fine? I have brought over tons of supplements and have had no problems. I leave them in a open box in the front passenger seat so he/she can see them.
Kaolinite is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-13-2013, 11:22 PM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazynuck View Post
What does everyone think the wait times will be on Sept 2 (The Monday of the long weekend) going into the states. I have a 11am flight and normally only use my nexus, but this time I will have to use my passport. I am thinking to be at the boarder by 8am...in everyone's opinion is that enough time??
I went the sunday on BC day long weekend at 7:30am and both pacific-x and peace arch were 1 hour waits.. but coming home the same day at around 6pm we waited probably only 5 minutes.
Kaolinite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 11:55 PM   #104
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

just a question you guys: my dad got a ticket in 1996 for speeding coming back to Vancouver from Seattle and didn't end up paying for it. If we go down to the U.S again soon, would we have any trouble crossing the border ?

The ticket was issued way back in 1996 and we might go down soon. What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance !
tru_blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 12:11 AM   #105
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tru_blue View Post
just a question you guys: my dad got a ticket in 1996 for speeding coming back to Vancouver from Seattle and didn't end up paying for it. If we go down to the U.S again soon, would we have any trouble crossing the border ?

The ticket was issued way back in 1996 and we might go down soon. What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance !
Your dad will not be allowed entry into Washington State until he pays it off.
willystyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 12:32 AM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by willystyle View Post
Your dad will not be allowed entry into Washington State until he pays it off.
would he still be denied entry if i was the one driving?

Its been ages already, how much do you think it will be if he pays the ticket off considering interest and all?
Old 08-14-2013, 12:34 AM   #107
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
Well it depends if the US gov has digitized infractions so far back yet. There might be a warrant out for him too. He might get by if the border guard doesn't scan all the ids, but he does, be prepared your whole family to bend over. Your dad will be taken to lockup NOT denied entry (hint: don't try to cross on long weekends or after business hours when the court is closed, unless you want to stay at the "big house" for a few days). You guys will be stranded (the car get towed and impounded in Bellingham for state or which ever city the ticket was issued at your dime, imagine the taxi charge if it is Bellvue eg) and all that fun stuff. I think the worst bit is all of the travel party will be flagged.

Make sure the car you are crossing in is not in his name (or the name that was used to register the car back in 96).. or else the car will be marked by the cameras before the booth even if you are driving.

It depends on who caught him, ie highway patrol or state or police from the city / town in between. He can call the nearest court house and figure out and just pay it in full; before his entry. Some county will need you to go down to plead, some don't.. each county has their own rules.

These are one of those cases just to call those lawyers who advertise at late night American TV, let them look it up and settle on the figure, pay the fine and get it over with.

Quote:

Thanks in advance !

Last edited by godwin; 08-14-2013 at 12:57 AM.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-14-2013, 12:40 AM   #108

Quote:
would he still be denied entry if i was the one driving?

Its been ages already, how much do you think it will be if he pays the ticket off considering interest and all?

How did HE get the ticket for speeding if YOU were the one driving.........

Last edited by jeedee; 08-14-2013 at 12:45 AM.
jeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 12:50 AM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeedee View Post

How did HE get the ticket for speeding if YOU were the one driving.........
oops i meant if I was going to be driving next time we go to the U.S

in 1996, i was still a little kid
Old 08-14-2013, 12:53 AM   #110

Yeah just thought it was a bit odd

Even if you were driving, everyone in your car would be denied entry/he would be locked up because of your dad not paying the ticket afaik.

To avoid all the trouble, just pay the ticket!
Old 08-14-2013, 12:53 AM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwin View Post
Well it depends if the US gov has digitized infraction so far back yet. There might be a warrant out for him too. He might get by if the border guard didn't scan all the ids, but he does, be prepared your whole family to bend over. He will be taken to lockup NOT denied entry (hint: don't try to cross on long weekends or after business hours when the court is closed, unless you want to stay at the "big house" for a few days). You guys will be stranded (the car get towed and impounded in Bellingham? or some bigger city at your dime) and all that fun stuff. I think the worst bit is all of the travel party will be flagged.

Make sure the cars you are crossing is not in his name (or the name that was used to register the car back in 96).. or else the car will be marked by the cameras right away even if you are driving.

It depends on who caught him, ie highway patrol or state or police from the city / town in between. He can call the nearest court and figure out and just pay it; before his entry. Some county will need you to go down, some don't.. each county has their own rules.

These are one of those cases just to call those lawyers who advertise at late night American TV, pay the fine and get it over with.
U.S takes unpaid speeding tickets so seriously eh?

would my dad also be denied entry from the U.S if he traveled by plane or is it just for driving across only?
Old 08-14-2013, 12:56 AM   #112

Quote:
Well it depends if the US gov has digitized infractions so far back yet. There might be a warrant out for him too. He might get by if the border guard doesn't scan all the ids, but he does, be prepared your whole family to bend over. Your dad will be taken to lockup NOT denied entry (hint: don't try to cross on long weekends or after business hours when the court is closed, unless you want to stay at the "big house" for a few days). You guys will be stranded (the car get towed and impounded in Bellingham? or some bigger city at your dime) and all that fun stuff. I think the worst bit is all of the travel party will be flagged.

Make sure the car you are crossing in is not in his name (or the name that was used to register the car back in 96).. or else the car will be marked by the cameras right away even if you are driving.

It depends on who caught him, ie highway patrol or state or police from the city / town in between. He can call the nearest court house and figure out and just pay it in full; before his entry. Some county will need you to go down, some don't.. each county has their own rules.

These are one of those cases just to call those lawyers who advertise at late night American TV, let them look it up and settle on the figure, pay the fine and get it over with.
is there any U.S sites to check if there is still a pending ticket under your drivers license? (I want to see if the ticket is still in their system for my dad)

anyone know?

thanks in advance !
Old 08-14-2013, 12:57 AM   #113

Quote:

would my dad also be denied entry from the U.S if he traveled by plane or is it just for driving across only?
They take EVERYTHING seriously and can refuse entry to anyone with an offense, sometimes a little as a traffic conviction. It really depends on the CBSA/border patrol person you get.

He would also be denied entry into the US by plane AND driving for that ticket. Speeding is not the "crime" its really just the unpaid ticket from 17 years ago

Its best to just pay the ticket off dude lol

Last edited by jeedee; 08-14-2013 at 01:02 AM.
jeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-14-2013, 01:00 AM   #114

That's what lawyers are for. Unless your dad still have the ticket, you have to look up at all the counties between Seattle to Van.

Quote:
is there any U.S sites to check if there is still a pending ticket under your drivers license? (I want to see if the ticket is still in their system for my dad)

anyone know?

thanks in advance !
This post thanked by:
Old 08-14-2013, 01:01 AM   #115

Things would be simple if it is just denied entry... if there is a warrant out .. He gets to enjoy the full Lindsay Lohan treatment! pictures, finger printing, jail, judge etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeedee View Post
He would also be denied entry into the US by plane AND driving for that ticket.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-14-2013, 01:03 AM   #116

It is their country, their rules.

If there wasn't 9/11, you would had been able to enter via Montana / Idaho etc, since it is a state warrant. But now since everything is connected, there is no more leeway.

Once you cross into the border zone, you have left Canada. Basically you belong to US. Your dad will be taken into custody once his name shows up with a warrant. He doesn't have a choice to head back to Canada (even if you are at YVR)!! They can denied entry to your dad, only after they are done with him. Also remember US has a huge deficit, these things add up especially since there is no lobbyists etc.

I think trying to fly out at YVR can end up more of an hassle, since you don't know where CBP clear people they arrested at foreign checkpoints, could be middle of Kansas for all you know.

Quote:

Last edited by godwin; 08-14-2013 at 01:16 AM.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-14-2013, 07:42 AM   #117
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,511 Times in 4,903 Posts
Quote:

Thanks in advance !
Exact same thing happened to me. I got a speeding ticket going through Everett, Wa. At the time I thought, WTF, I don't need to go to the US anymore. I never paid the ticket. Well, I got a warrant for my arrest through the mail. Bastards wanted my ass. I just refused to pay. I'm not sure how long ago this was. I'm thinking mid 90's, since I used to traveled down south quite often before that due to competing in IASCA events. I guess I can look it up, since I never throw anything out.

Long story short, I crossed into the US a few of years back to see if the warrant was still in effect. I was on vacation and had some time (in case I got arrested and raped in jail, LOL) on my hands. Border guard was like, "OK, you go into the building right now!" They checked my name for any outstanding tickets, warrants, whathaveyou. I was clean, so they sent me on my way. When I crossed back into Canada and told the CBSA agent about why I went across, she just shook her head and said you were lucky they didn't detain you and throw you in jail. BTW, this was just before passports were mandatory.

I will dig up my ticket and see how far back it was. I was told the warrant for speeding tickets had limits. In any case, times are different now. I wouldn't take a chance. Call whoever you have to to find out if pops is in the clear.
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-14-2013, 08:28 AM   #118

Thanked 1,979 Times in 262 Posts
Is there a statute of limitations on that?
finbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 12:12 PM   #119

so i guess going to the Seattle premium outlets won't be a good idea for the family then eh

good thing I read the posts of this thread early enough
Old 08-14-2013, 01:18 PM   #120

Quote:
It is their country, their rules.

If there wasn't 9/11, you would had been able to enter via Montana / Idaho etc, since it is a state warrant. But now since everything is connected, there is no more leeway.

Once you cross into the border zone, you have left Canada. Basically you belong to US. Your dad will be taken into custody once his name shows up with a warrant. He doesn't have a choice to head back to Canada (even if you are at YVR)!! They can denied entry to your dad, only after they are done with him. Also remember US has a huge deficit, these things add up especially since there is no lobbyists etc.

I think trying to fly out at YVR can end up more of an hassle, since you don't know where CBP clear people they arrested at foreign checkpoints, could be middle of Kansas for all you know.
thanks for the reply !

To add: My dad and I went to Vegas by plane back in 2003 and we didnt get hassled by the border security at all, so I am confused if it was the fact that we traveled by plane......

anyone else care to chime in?

even if he wanted to pay off the ticket now, how can he do it privately without going to the lawyers. He lost the ticket since it was from 1996
Old 08-14-2013, 02:21 PM   #121

Like I said....it really depends on the person you get while crossing the border. Some are more lenient than others.

You could take the risk of going to the Outlets while your dad has an unpaid ticket/possibly a warrant out for him.

Let us know how it goes
Old 08-14-2013, 02:37 PM   #122
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

I had a speeding ticket back in 2002. ddint pay it either. Don't listen to your friends. LOL

2005 came along. My company wanted me to head south for a meeting. I called all the counties and police station in that area that got the ticket. They said my name is not in the system or file. You are good and ok to come to WA.

I thought it was a Tarp. LOL. So I just drove down there any ways. Nothing happened.

I have my nexus and i fly to USA and drive over to PR all the time now.

That's just me. Good luck to your dad.
Old 08-14-2013, 04:05 PM   #123
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

then boom ...when you don't expect it, they take your ass to jail....how would that feel?
Old 08-14-2013, 06:23 PM   #124
Throw yo paws in da air!

Thanked 2,778 Times in 956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoall View Post
I had a speeding ticket back in 2002. ddint pay it either. Don't listen to your friends. LOL

2005 came along. My company wanted me to head south for a meeting. I called all the counties and police station in that area that got the ticket. They said my name is not in the system or file. You are good and ok to come to WA.

I thought it was a Tarp. LOL. So I just drove down there any ways. Nothing happened.

I have my nexus and i fly to USA and drive over to PR all the time now.

That's just me. Good luck to your dad.
this. my uncle got one last year and he crosses at least 1-2 a month but usually his wife drives. Nothing has ever happened. Actually he's been driving down there lately..wonder if he just paid it off

Proud member of GRAPE Great Revscene Action Photography Enthusiasts

2008 Infiniti M45X - Y50 (Current)
2000 Honda Prelude SH (Sold)
1995 Dodge Spirit (Sold)
1998 Nissan Maxima SE (Sold)
1996 Honda Prelude SR-V (Sold)
XplicitLuder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 06:51 PM   #125
private modder

Thanked 2,645 Times in 739 Posts
Does anyone know the story with using NEXUS at the airport and paying taxes?

If you fly back and have a $1000 exemption and you talk to the guard and say you spent $1500, then they will use discretion whether to charge you anything. What about the kiosks? If you enter $1500 into the computer, does it automatically flag you for payment?

Of course you could risk entering $1000 only but if flagged for inspection, you risk losing the NEXUS card if discovered you are $500 over your exemption.

What do most people do in this situation?
Eff-1 is online now   Reply With Quote