REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 05-21-2014, 10:16 AM   #676
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aalex View Post
maybe the office find its easier to communicate with u in cantonese?
Hahha I think he was clearly just enjoying his job and practicing another language at the same time. I replied in English half the time. Even asked how to pronounce one of my passengers name as he was unsure of the pinyin.
Advertisement
Xu.Vi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 10:54 AM   #677
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss6o4 View Post
Hahha I think he was clearly just enjoying his job and practicing another language at the same time. I replied in English half the time. Even asked how to pronounce one of my passengers name as he was unsure of the pinyin.
Sounds like we need more guards like this and less of the arrogant ones that line the stalls more often.
m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-22-2014, 02:43 PM   #678
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,820 Times in 501 Posts
I once had an African-American USCBP officer speak fluent, native accent Tagalog to me at OGG airport in Maui. My mind was full of what the fuck
Tone Loc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 03:43 PM   #679

My best guess is that he might've been ex-military and stationed in the Philippines for a while.

Knowing Filipina women- one word out of that guy's mouth likely meant he got some action.
Old 06-03-2014, 10:49 PM   #680
I am Hook'd on RS

I'm going along with my friend to Point Roberts to pick up some items he ordered this coming Sat. I'm just going to help carry some of his items into his car.
I'm just gonna bring passport and some cash for emergency but nothing for me to pick up.
Is there anything different about Point Roberts than Blaine? I've never been through there. Sounds like they are more strict with procedure here.
Any tips when going through forward and back?
Anyone know the best time to go? We planning to get there by 9:30am.
So far from reading the past few pages, you declare everything.
Hamburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 11:01 PM   #681
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,493 Times in 1,158 Posts
Is it possible to get taxed on the shipping?

Brought back a down pipe which was valued at 479.99 and shipping was $20 bucks, got taxed for the full $499.99 USD
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX_Renesis View Post
wtf did she get some bolt-on titties or what?
they look sooooooooooo much bigger than they were 2ish years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nns View Post
I can't stand the sound of Mandarin either. Boo yow nee bey nee shing bo now noong gey shee mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo.
TypeRNammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 11:05 PM   #682
I subscribe to the Revscene NWS thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3thods View Post
Sounds like we need more guards like this and less of the arrogant ones that line the stalls more often.
Surprisingly, I find the US CBP guys at Blaine are super nice and friendly. They're always joking around and occasionally in the NEXUS lane, they'll greet you by name. I find however, at YVR, it's the complete opposite and they're complete douches.

On the other hand, the Canadian CBP folks in Blaine are the furthest thing from friendly. This goes completely against the friendly Canadian stereotypes people have of us Canadians. Maybe the US greet us with open arms in Blaine because they know you're going down to spend money and boost their economy?
syee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 11:12 PM   #683

Quote:
Originally Posted by syee View Post
Surprisingly, I find the US CBP guys at Blaine are super nice and friendly. They're always joking around and occasionally in the NEXUS lane, they'll greet you by name. I find however, at YVR, it's the complete opposite and they're complete douches.

On the other hand, the Canadian CBP folks in Blaine are the furthest thing from friendly. This goes completely against the friendly Canadian stereotypes people have of us Canadians. Maybe the US greet us with open arms in Blaine because they know you're going down to spend money and boost their economy?
Likely. I've never had an unpleasant US guard. I lose count thinking of the unpleasant Canadian ones. I'm not sure why they need to feel like treating a citizen of the country they're protecting as akin to a terrorist/smuggler. You'd expect that from the US, but not from Canada.

My last visit, I declared the combined value of goods between my fiancee and me to the NEXUS guard. He proceeds to ask "how much did she spend?" and I replied with "oh, her items were part of the xxx amount. She spent xxx of it". He then replied with "well then she had something to declare then". I apologized, and he asked what we bought. I replied "Groceries and cloth-" where he interrupts me and says "Goodbye".

I was so confused.
Old 06-03-2014, 11:40 PM   #684
not the mod you're looking for

Thanked 1,534 Times in 555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TypeRNammer View Post

Brought back a down pipe which was valued at 479.99 and shipping was $20 bucks, got taxed for the full $499.99 USD
Usually if you have proof before shipping and taxes, they charge you for whatever you paid. If it isn't visually separated, prepare to eat the whole thing. However, it's at the guard's discretion...
FN-2199 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-04-2014, 07:01 AM   #685
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,276 Times in 308 Posts
I think you are supposed to declare the total cost (includes shipping and foreign taxes) that you paid to acquire the goods. If your receipt shows shipping and taxes, then you gotta declare the whole amount and will probably be used by the cashier to calculate what you owe.

I'm about to go pick up a $350 radio that is coming back from warranty repair. I checked online and it indicates I have to declare the full amount of the value of the repaired item.
I know I have to declare it, but do I have to pay duties/tax on it? I already paid it the first time when I brought it over.
IMASA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 07:27 AM   #686
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3thods View Post

My last visit, I declared the combined value of goods between my fiancee and me to the NEXUS guard. He proceeds to ask "how much did she spend?" and I replied with "oh, her items were part of the xxx amount. She spent xxx of it". He then replied with "well then she had something to declare then". I apologized, and he asked what we bought. I replied "Groceries and cloth-" where he interrupts me and says "Goodbye".

I was so confused.
That's happened to me during my declaration. So I declared another item and he said goodbye again. So I thanked him and drove off.
saveth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 08:57 AM   #687
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,717 Times in 689 Posts
Quote:

If you don't highlight the subtotal or point out the shipping fee the CBSA agent is just going to take the total cost of the goods because they don't give a crap and won't even bother digging any deeper than what you put in front of them.

I've been pulled in three times at point roberts and each time they would just look at the total cost. I had to point out the shipping each time. You don't save much, but it's the principle of the matter.
PeanutButter is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-04-2014, 10:22 AM   #688
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,323 Times in 579 Posts
Went down to PR last week to pick up a package. Biggest dick US border guard I've encountered from all the times I've gone down. Asks me where I'm going, I reply "TSB shipping" to pick up a parcel. Responds with "Obviously" and let's me go.

I'm thinking wtf. That's all I can reply with is that I'm going to tsb and picking up a package. If it's so obvious, no point asking. He looked pissed off, which i don't feel sorry for as he "obviously" hates his shit job.
Euro7r is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-04-2014, 11:21 AM   #689
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,717 Times in 689 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euro7r View Post
Went down to PR last week to pick up a package. Biggest dick US border guard I've encountered from all the times I've gone down. Asks me where I'm going, I reply "TSB shipping" to pick up a parcel. Responds with "Obviously" and let's me go.

I'm thinking wtf. That's all I can reply with is that I'm going to tsb and picking up a package. If it's so obvious, no point asking. He looked pissed off, which i don't feel sorry for as he "obviously" hates his shit job.
If he's the biggest dick border guard you've encountered, you're lucky.
He let you go without a hitch, but gave you a little attitude? I think you're taking this a little too personally.

You don't know what's going on in his life, we all have bad days.
PeanutButter is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-04-2014, 12:05 PM   #690
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,595 Times in 922 Posts
i have to go across at blaine to pick up an item with a value of $900. hoping i dont get shafted too much...
Gucci Mane is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-04-2014, 01:37 PM   #691

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight_KB View Post
i have to go across at blaine to pick up an item with a value of $900. hoping i dont get shafted too much...
Just expect to get taxed. In 2011 I picked up a lens for $2000. The CBSA officer paused, and replied, "What was that amount again?" I repeated, she sent me to secondary, and sat inside for 15 mins while they ripped apart my moldy Nissan Sentra lol
Old 06-04-2014, 01:47 PM   #692
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,166 Times in 1,550 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanutButter View Post
If he's the biggest dick border guard you've encountered, you're lucky.
I don't mind if the border guard is rude or blunt, as long as they wave me through in 15 seconds or less, then my experience is positive.
Old 06-04-2014, 05:08 PM   #693
& Associates Inc.

Thanked 1,215 Times in 409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMASA View Post
I think you are supposed to declare the total cost (includes shipping and foreign taxes) that you paid to acquire the goods. If your receipt shows shipping and taxes, then you gotta declare the whole amount and will probably be used by the cashier to calculate what you owe.

I'm about to go pick up a $350 radio that is coming back from warranty repair. I checked online and it indicates I have to declare the full amount of the value of the repaired item.
I know I have to declare it, but do I have to pay duties/tax on it? I already paid it the first time when I brought it over.
Take proof with you that it was only a warranty repair(emails, invoice, etc.), more importantly take the original receipt they gave you when you paid taxes the first time. If you lost the receipt then you're out of luck and might get taxed on it again.
Old 06-04-2014, 05:23 PM   #694
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,578 Times in 934 Posts
Quote:

you pay tax on services as well as goods, shipping is a service. you shouldnt be charged duty on service but i think you would definitely have to pay tax
vitaminG is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-14-2014, 09:13 AM   #695

Has anyone successfully applied for a TN work visa at the border based on the NAFTA agreement? I'm a Canadian citizen and I got offered an internship in Santa Cruz, California. I'm finalizing all the paperwork in order (I have the offer letter, education background, & experience). I want to know how difficult the interview process can be and want to hear other people's experience. TIA.
Old 06-14-2014, 08:39 PM   #696
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

They are idiots on both sides of the border. Last year I went on vacation with my dog. They asked me if I had any dog food, I said I have a few cans. So the prick pulls over and I have to wait an hour while they do an "agricultural" search for a can of dog food. Morons didn't even notice the 6' cargo carrier on the roof. Coming back into Canada I had $900 worth of stuff. They asked me how much spend while away, I mumbled ...hundred. Ok go ahead. Guess they didn't hear the 9
Dennis R is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-14-2014, 09:10 PM   #697
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,497 Times in 4,892 Posts
^I'd like to hear you call them morons and pricks when you're at the border. See how that goes.

I cross on average three times a week. Most of the border guards I've come across are pretty nice and down to earth. My favourite is this young South Asian gal. She's usually at the Peace Arch crossing on the Canadian side. One time, we got into a great conversation that lasted way longer than it should have. Poor people behind me......... she has the greatest smile and a bubbly personality.

The worst border guard I have ever had the displeasure of meeting was this big black dude at the border crossing into Detroit. Yes, murd0c, he was way scarier than your avatar. Dude must have been a drill sargeant in the US army at one time, 'cause the way he went on. I was expecting him to yell, "Drop down and give me 50!" He asked questions at a very fast pace, in which I had answers to immediatley....... this, of course, pissed him off even more. He was breaking into a sweat, and his questions became dumber each time. My son and daughter, both in their mid twenties were like in shock. We laugh about it now, but at the time we had visions of this dude pulling out his gun. Come to think of it, I should have called him a prick, LOL.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 09:21 PM   #698
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,497 Times in 4,892 Posts
Enough border guard talk. If you don't know already, one of the great places to go when you are in Seattle is Oberto's Factory Outlet. Chinese dude who works there (possibly runs the place) is hilarious. A little nuts, but funny.

My favourite product is their microwaveable pork rinds. Being a factory outlet, they have tonnes of great deals on close to expiry and overstock items. Asian BBQ Steak Strips were on sale for a buck each a couple of days ago. Wasn't sure if they were any good, so I bought 5 of them. Man, they are good. Bacon jerky, another favourite of mine.

Anyway, the place is close to the I-90 overpass at Ranier Avenue South at Beacon Hills. It's a few blocks from the chinatown area.

Oh Boy! Oberto Factory Outlet - Beacon Hill - Seattle, WA, United States | Yelp

Definitely not a place to take a vegan, LOL.

Before anyone screams cholesterol, fat, yada yada yada, read the nutrition guide labels and this shit is not close to being bad. It's all protein, man.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 09:37 PM   #699
I subscribe to the Revscene NWS thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmvdesign View Post
Has anyone successfully applied for a TN work visa at the border based on the NAFTA agreement? I'm a Canadian citizen and I got offered an internship in Santa Cruz, California. I'm finalizing all the paperwork in order (I have the offer letter, education background, & experience). I want to know how difficult the interview process can be and want to hear other people's experience. TIA.
I did with my former employer.

If you've got all your paperwork lined up, then it shouldn't be a problem. They'll send you into secondary and one of the CBP guys will look at your documentation and then send you off to pay your $50 and stamp your passport. It's not really an interview - it's more along the lines of verifying your job description fits under the NAFTA rules and that's it. I can probably count on one hand how many questions they asked me.

It's only good for a year though so you'll have to go through the whole process again a year later.
syee is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-02-2014, 10:31 AM   #700
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Planning to travel to Las Vegas but going to drive to Seattle to take a flight there as it's a lot cheaper. Just wondering if you guys think there is any difficulty that could arise/problems when crossing the border? Group of 6 guys, will be traveling at 6AM (peace arch)
RuffleCopterz is offline   Reply With Quote