REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 10-23-2014, 09:28 PM   #876
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,502 Times in 1,160 Posts
Crossed back into the Canadian Side, the border guard on the nexus lane asked me if I have been in contact with anyone that has ebola.

Sort of threw me off guard after declaring groceries and gas.
Advertisement
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX_Renesis View Post
wtf did she get some bolt-on titties or what?
they look sooooooooooo much bigger than they were 2ish years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nns View Post
I can't stand the sound of Mandarin either. Boo yow nee bey nee shing bo now noong gey shee mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo.
TypeRNammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 10:39 PM   #877
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
^I wonder what they could be fishing for with respect to a response. It's not like one would go "OK I HAVE DRUGS IN THE CAR" in response to that question. So odd.
m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 10:46 PM   #878
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,308 Times in 1,776 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3thods View Post
^I wonder what they could be fishing for with respect to a response. It's not like one would go "OK I HAVE DRUGS IN THE CAR" in response to that question. So odd.
Or that they are taking simple measures to prevent the spread of an infectious and fatal disease.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 11:54 AM   #879

How would the normal layperson know they were in contact with someone with Ebola unless they were recently in a place that had confirmed cases (which when I last checked, didn't include Washington State)?

I don't mean to sound argumentative, but there are more effective ways to prevent the spread of a deadly disease than to simply ask a Canadian citizen driving across the border from Washington State whether they came into contact with anyone with Ebola.
Old 10-24-2014, 07:05 PM   #880
Not a mod

^ care to elaborate. Would you rather they do blood tests for everyone coming across the border?

Last I checked there is an International Airport 2 hrs south of the border.
SoulCrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 08:27 PM   #881
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,746 Times in 1,179 Posts
I think they ask as a precaution. Assuming one has met anyone that could be at high risk of Ebola, the border personnels could maybe put the person on a watch list of some sort, and if that person starts to have symptoms, the hospital can be prepared in advance to prevent any further spread.
Old 10-24-2014, 09:51 PM   #882
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4444 View Post
sorry, i wasn't clear, you're right, pre-ship, but post tax. you are right that you do not get taxed on a service such as shipping, but all other direct costs, yes
Are you guys 100% sure you're not supposed to get charged for the shipping portion of it too? I paid nearly a $100 to ship a bedroom set to the border and I was charged taxes on the total dollar amount after shipping costs. So if that were true, I got screwed and will know for next time

JL
JL23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 11:32 PM   #883

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulCrusher View Post
^ care to elaborate. Would you rather they do blood tests for everyone coming across the border?

Last I checked there is an International Airport 2 hrs south of the border.
I was speaking in more general terms with respect to the world reducing the spread of ebola, but if you must hear some less than invasive methods of checking compared to doing blood tests:

- Check passport stamps for countries that have known ebola cases
- Ask more specific questions like "did you travel to Dallas/NY"

And for the world in general:

-ban commercial travel to/from countries where the epidemic is rampant. This would exclude humanitarian efforts in the area, and at the same time you can take those same people back for a 2 week quarantine.

The point to my first comment is that asking if people came into contact with ebola is pointless, and I thought of it more as a tactic to throw people off to fish for other tells or information that may interest the border guards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
I think they ask as a precaution. Assuming one has met anyone that could be at high risk of Ebola, the border personnels could maybe put the person on a watch list of some sort, and if that person starts to have symptoms, the hospital can be prepared in advance to prevent any further spread.
How would the watch be implemented? You can either detain people at the border or let them go. There's no way they can shadow you and wait for you to get symptoms even if they suspect you might be a risk.
Old 10-25-2014, 12:51 AM   #884

Quote:

How would the watch be implemented? You can either detain people at the border or let them go. There's no way they can shadow you and wait for you to get symptoms even if they suspect you might be a risk.
No need to detain anyone. If a dude met another person that could be at high risk, they tell the border guys, they add the dude on a list. If such name comes up at any hospital, red alert. (assuming the dude calls in before going to hospital/call an ambulance)

Again, it's being precautious.. not quarantine.
Old 10-25-2014, 06:52 AM   #885
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,538 Times in 495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL23 View Post
Are you guys 100% sure you're not supposed to get charged for the shipping portion of it too? I paid nearly a $100 to ship a bedroom set to the border and I was charged taxes on the total dollar amount after shipping costs. So if that were true, I got screwed and will know for next time

JL

CBSA has always asked me the returning amount minus shipping costs.

That's why when buying on eBay I try to find items with high shipping and low buy it now
cdizzle_996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 06:59 PM   #886
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,510 Times in 4,902 Posts
At the Silver Thief enjoying my free prime rib buffet. Once a year. It's not my birthday, but members get one free buffet per calendar year. Gas here is pretty cheap. The one bad thing about Silver Reef is its not off the freeway or close to it. Neither is Northwoods, but at least Norhwoods is 10 minutes from Sumas and 5 from Aldergrove crossing. Im off to Norhwods after this where it's 100 for 100 today.
MG1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 07:55 PM   #887
I bringith the lowerballerith

Quote:
I was speaking in more general terms with respect to the world reducing the spread of ebola, but if you must hear some less than invasive methods of checking compared to doing blood tests:

- Check passport stamps for countries that have known ebola cases
- Ask more specific questions like "did you travel to Dallas/NY"

And for the world in general:

-ban commercial travel to/from countries where the epidemic is rampant. This would exclude humanitarian efforts in the area, and at the same time you can take those same people back for a 2 week quarantine.

The point to my first comment is that asking if people came into contact with ebola is pointless, and I thought of it more as a tactic to throw people off to fish for other tells or information that may interest the border guards.

It's a simple question. They probably expect a NO but I'm sure they have some procedures ready if a person said yes. it also makes citizens feel like the border is being productive, canada is safe, etc. i would assume they have some power ex, 'we'll let you in on the condition you take a blood test..., or visit a hospital to get checkd out, etc'
geeknerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 01:04 AM   #888
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,510 Times in 4,902 Posts
Just got back from the US and sure enough, they asked me if I had been to Africa in the last 21 days.

Last edited by MG1; 10-26-2014 at 05:37 AM.
MG1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 03:20 PM   #889
Returner of Lost Phones and Turtles

Thanked 3,997 Times in 963 Posts
Is it true that HK and American residents are exempt from being taxed going back into Canada?

21' 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
23' VW MK8 GTI 40th Anniversary
18' Tesla Model 3 LR RWD
21' Ducati Streetfighter V4 S

--
16' Mineral Grey F80 BMW M3 6MT SOLD -11/22
22' Halo Toyota GR86 6MT SOLD -11/22
12' Phantom Black - B8 Audi S4 - SOLD 04/19
07' WDP Acura TL Type-S - A-Spec/ATLP/H&R - SOLD 12/17
18' Matte Silver Ice - Triumph 765 Street Triple RS - SOLD 4/21
LP700-4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 04:29 PM   #890
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,291 Times in 2,507 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LP700-4 View Post
Is it true that HK and American residents are exempt from being taxed going back into Canada?
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 04:55 PM   #891
Returner of Lost Phones and Turtles

Thanked 3,997 Times in 963 Posts
that's what family friend is trying to tell us. Still no clue

21' 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
23' VW MK8 GTI 40th Anniversary
18' Tesla Model 3 LR RWD
21' Ducati Streetfighter V4 S

--
16' Mineral Grey F80 BMW M3 6MT SOLD -11/22
22' Halo Toyota GR86 6MT SOLD -11/22
12' Phantom Black - B8 Audi S4 - SOLD 04/19
07' WDP Acura TL Type-S - A-Spec/ATLP/H&R - SOLD 12/17
18' Matte Silver Ice - Triumph 765 Street Triple RS - SOLD 4/21
LP700-4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 05:03 PM   #892
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
Just got back from the US and sure enough, they asked me if I had been to Africa in the last 21 days.
I went to Point Roberts today and the guard didn't ask me. Probably more strict at the main terminals.
cunninglinguist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 05:54 PM   #893
I wish I was where I was when I wished I was here

Thanked 3,098 Times in 733 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LP700-4 View Post
Yeah if you're a resident outside of Canada who's visiting Canada, and went down to states for gift shopping you're exempt from duty tax coming back into the country.
hchang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 12:03 PM   #894
I don't get it

So im gonna be heading to seattle in the next week. mainly gonna be around downtown so im wondering wheres a good store to buy supplements down there? I wanna grab whey protein, fish supps, vitamins and also what are the restrictions and limit on bringing back supplements across the border?
thanks
604dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 10:15 PM   #895

Quote:
Originally Posted by 604dragon View Post
So im gonna be heading to seattle in the next week. mainly gonna be around downtown so im wondering wheres a good store to buy supplements down there? I wanna grab whey protein, fish supps, vitamins and also what are the restrictions and limit on bringing back supplements across the border?
thanks
I have always gotten better deals online than any B&M store. I'd recommend ordering online, have it shipped to borders and pick them up.
Old 10-30-2014, 12:31 AM   #896
Banned (ABWS)

Mostly just gas its cheaper
dotdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 01:03 AM   #897
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 5,223 Times in 1,388 Posts
Declared my $254 cat-back, got called in to pay taxes. My only credit card wasn't working for some reason and bank was empty, no cash on me either.

$34 tax, lady waved me through just told me to go, said she doesn't want to make a big hassle with Nexus cardholders.

So lucky
[13-03, 11:25] MG1 when you hit the brakes, it shoots cum at pedestrian - bukkake

[12-03, 19:06] meme405 That e30 is so mexiflushed I thought we were in albuquerque

[12-03, 23:03] rb when i see a modded element. I have nothing but respect. either the parents kicked him out or the guy is killing hookers in the back
Akinari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 04:59 AM   #898
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,538 Times in 495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akinari View Post
Declared my $254 cat-back, got called in to pay taxes. My only credit card wasn't working for some reason and bank was empty, no cash on me either.

$34 tax, lady waved me through just told me to go, said she doesn't want to make a big hassle with Nexus cardholders.

So lucky

Time for a job
cdizzle_996 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-30-2014, 07:20 AM   #899
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akinari View Post

So lucky
$254 cat back
$0 in bank account

Priorities are in order!

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 06:43 PM   #900
MOD

Thanked 7,553 Times in 1,957 Posts
got questioned about ebola on my back from blaine.

"have you been in contact with anyone that has ebola?"
"have you visited any other countries in the 3 weeks?"

Gh0stRider's Buy & Sell Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
whole time i thought gh0strider was white lol

Gh0stRider is offline   Reply With Quote