REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > HealthCare & Wellness

HealthCare & Wellness Breaking the Chains of Addiction. The Last Door Recovery Society
Mature discussion surrounding important health issues and concerns. Alternative therapies, healthcare questions, discussion of community resources, peer support help, group therapy, etc.

Old 08-12-2013, 02:55 PM   #1
Director of RS Cares

Vaccinations for Kids?

News1130 recently sent out a tweet asking if vaccinations for kids should be mandatory and I thought this was a great topic to discuss.

I, for one, tweeted back yes and a nurse came guns blazing after me saying how we shouldn't let the government bully our kids into getting shots. To make a long story short, we got into it but I would love to hear what other parents/guardians think about this who have or take care of children. I understand some people fear the major side effects or feel like they don't know exactly what is going into their children so I'm really curious what others think about it.

IMO, I think vaccinations should be mandatory and correct me if I'm wrong..but aren't they already with certain shots from the time you are a baby up to the time you are in highscool? Now I'm not talking about something like the flu shot...but the big ones like Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis (whooping cough) and polio are given to Kindergarten students, then Tetanus again, Hepatitis B, Measles and now HPV are given to girls in highschool (A GREAT addition IMO as it is insanely expensive)

This reminded me of an Law and Order:SVU episode where this baby contracted measles from a boy who had the virus in his system but was never vaccinated because his mom didn't believe in it; however it didn't stop the mom from bringing her son to the park to play with other kids despite knowing the boy could infect other kids who might not be old enough to get the shot. Anyways, the mother got sued because of her negligance to the people around her (and the baby died from it). I mean, this was from a show so I don't know how true it is but just some food for thought.

Again, would really love insight from the parents or guardians out there. Or even healthcare professionals that can shed some light.

Old 08-12-2013, 04:11 PM   #2
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

As you said, there will always be people who fear for side effects which may occur if their child is vaccinated (leading them to opt out). I think that's completely fine, as we all should ultimately have the choice. Also, seeing as how vaccinations are strongly enforced among young children in school now a days, you can't really say the odds are high for contracting illnesses such as measles. But if more and more parents start coming to the assumption of "oh, i'm sure everyone else is vaccinated from ____. What are the chances of my non vaccinated son(s)/daughter(s) falling ill?", then we have a problem.

I for one would vaccinate my future children, putting them out of risk. Not only would it keep him/her safe, it would also keep individuals around them safe also.

I mean...vaccinations is the biggest reason as to why we don't see a occurrence of diseases in society today.
Xu.Vi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-12-2013, 07:47 PM   #3
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
That infographic is pretty cool.

My friend had her son almost 3 years ago and was all "I'm not immunizing my child"...she took her boy to her family doctor for a random check-up and the dr was talking about scheduling immunizations. My friend did her whole presentation about not getting them done and her doctor literally said, "If you chose not to immunization, you can leave my office and never come back".

They spent the next 30 mins discussing and she booked the appointment.

I know a lot of people place blame on immunizations for the rise in autism, but studies have yet to find a direct correlation. Coincidentally, just this week I read an article about how autism is being linked to defective cellular processes in DNA sequences. From what I understand these results are very new but provide a promising explanation to the origin of autism along with other cognitive deficiencies.

But back to the question posted my the OP and News1130, I do think the parent has the choice at the end of the day.....but that child should not be allowed to attend public/private school, day care, or any other public institution where there is exposure to other children. Yes, this could be near impossible to monitor seeing as you don't need your medical records to go to the Aquarium but the child should not be exposed to others.
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-12-2013, 09:27 PM   #4
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
would like to hear the nurse argument. gov't shouldn't bully kids. I guess the way she sees it ...

No vaccinations
More people get sick
Get sick go to hospital
Requires nurses
More sick people = more nurses
current shortage of nurses = more OT for current nurses
more OT for current nurses = bargaining chip at next labour meeting
next labour meeting = request higher wages
rinse and repeat?

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:07 PM   #5
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_handheld View Post
would like to hear the nurse argument. gov't shouldn't bully kids. I guess the way she sees it ...

No vaccinations
More people get sick
Get sick go to hospital
Requires nurses
More sick people = more nurses
current shortage of nurses = more OT for current nurses
more OT for current nurses = bargaining chip at next labour meeting
next labour meeting = request higher wages
rinse and repeat?
I think you are reaching a little bit...
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 07:13 AM   #6
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,782 Times in 2,491 Posts
shoulda said to the nurse: "are you a doctor? didn't think so..."

on a serious note yes to vaccinations. unless the doctors tell me otherwise my kids get vaccinated.

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-13-2013, 07:22 AM   #7
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,628 Times in 718 Posts
if you're into vaccinations take a DOUBLE DOSE just to make sure it gets into your system..

otherwise, please study its effects on neurological damage done on cases before.
Excelsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 10:49 AM   #8
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,283 Times in 270 Posts
wait wut?
nurses are against vaccination?
Quote:
Originally Posted by orgasm_donor View Post
organge7 has spoken, and we have done the opposite. yay!
urrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 10:55 AM   #9
Director of RS Cares

^no, just a woman (who happens to be a nurse..or was...don't remember) that didn't believe in having vaccinations being mandatory