REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   found an iphone 5, no info, what do? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/687225-found-iphone-5-no-info-what-do.html)

vitaminG 08-12-2013 06:13 PM

found an iphone 5, no info, what do?

found white iphone 5 in whalley on 133a and 104 ave, theres a lock on the screen, no info on it. theres no sim in the phone. i have the IMEI and the background pic of the persons kids.

also 10% battery left and i have no charger for it. phone is currently off

how to return to owner?

b0unce. [?] 08-12-2013 06:18 PM

Make a post on the community > lost & found section on Craigslist.
Posted via RS Mobile

jeedee 08-12-2013 06:24 PM

Any contacts on the phone?

Emails? Texts that can identify the person?

ShadowBun 08-12-2013 06:25 PM

find the carrier and ask them to give it to the person

vitaminG 08-12-2013 06:27 PM

phone is pin locked, cannot access. No sim how can I find which carrier? Read the post people.
Posted via RS Mobile

parm104 08-12-2013 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vitaminG (Post 8299363)
phone is pin locked, cannot access. No sim how can I find which carrier? Read the post people.
Posted via RS Mobile

No sim? Based on that and the location, I'm sure it was already stolen before you found it. Good luck trying to get it back to the owner.

vitaminG 08-12-2013 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by parm104 (Post 8299364)
No sim? Based on that and the location, I'm sure it was already stolen before you found it. Good luck trying to get it back to the owner.

But why would someone steal it and just drop it though?
Posted via RS Mobile

corollagtSr5 08-12-2013 06:36 PM

How to return lost iPhone 4 w/passcode to owner??? - MacRumors Forums

According to this thread you can return it to an Apple store. They will find the owner and return the phone to them. You probably should get a reference on who helped you so that person doesn't take the phone for themselves.

Ulic Qel-Droma 08-12-2013 06:36 PM

because they're clumsy as fuck.

b0unce. [?] 08-12-2013 06:40 PM

^ Omg ahahhahab
Posted via RS Mobile

4444 08-12-2013 07:33 PM

Nice work OP, take it apple store, they're best to deal with these things

chunk_stir 08-12-2013 08:23 PM

Bring it to the local police detachment. They will hold it for x amount of time and you can request it once their period to claim is up. My daughter found a iPod and dod this. You are doing what's right and have the option if no one claims it. Actually not sure about phones, because I remember the cop
Asking if it was a gone but I'm sure you can ask them
Posted via RS Mobile

racerman88 08-12-2013 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by corollagtSr5 (Post 8299372)

According to this thread you can return it to an Apple store. They will find the owner and return the phone to them. You probably should get a reference on who helped you so that person doesn't take the phone for themselves.

This sounds like the best option.

parm104 08-12-2013 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vitaminG (Post 8299366)
But why would someone steal it and just drop it though?
Posted via RS Mobile

Lol because crackheads have more use for needles than iPhones lol. Probably got irritated when the phone kept asking for an Apple ID lol.

Quote:

Originally Posted by chunk_stir (Post 8299441)
Bring it to the local police detachment. They will hold it for x amount of time and you can request it once their period to claim is up. My daughter found a iPod and dod this. You are doing what's right and have the option if no one claims it. Actually not sure about phones, because I remember the cop
Asking if it was a gone but I'm sure you can ask them
Posted via RS Mobile

Really, I don't think anyone is calling in the police stations looking for this phone. Unless you can personally find a way to recover any data that links this phone back to the original owner, I don't see any point in taking it to the police department or the Apple store. The Apple store won't release any private information to you and I doubt they are responsible for finding owners of lost phones.

You placed a notification on here, maybe put one on Craigslist, but keep the phone in your possession. Just cause you're Mr. Good Guy Samaritan doesn't mean an Apple store employee will be or the police station lost and found will be.

vitaminG 08-12-2013 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by corollagtSr5 (Post 8299372)

but what does apple do with phone if owner cannot be located? i honestly want to find the owner, but if the owner cannot be found id rather keep it than have some greedy apple genius keep it.

also im in surrey and there is no apple store anywhere near where i live. it could be weeks before im around an apple store during business hours.

Anjew 08-12-2013 10:28 PM

i'm sure the apple store has records of who originally purchased the phone based on IMEI.

parm104 08-12-2013 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anjew (Post 8299541)
i'm sure the apple store has records of who originally purchased the phone based on IMEI.

They do, but their legal sense and privacy policies will restrict them from doing the "right thing." Finding the true owner is also more difficult than it seems. Chances are the phone could've been sold. The original registered owner has no more rights to that phone than the new finder does. In fact, the new finder has a legal right to it that overtakes all except the true owner. I'm just looking at it from a realistic point of view...

vafanculo 08-12-2013 10:58 PM

Its an iPhone 5, so there's a good chance its a locked phone. Go to diff stores and ask to pop in diff Sim cards. If one finds service, u know it belongs to that service provider. If the Sim works, they can call their tech support and the imei will be registered to the test Sim card. Then they can use the imei to find the account using that imei. Then they will call the owner.
Posted via RS Mobile

ilovebacon 08-13-2013 03:29 AM

you can give it to me! :fullofwin::fullofwin:

Razor Ramon HG 08-13-2013 04:08 AM

Keep the phone for now and make a post on Craigslist in B&S and lost and found sections saying that you found a lost iPhone 5 and for the owner to send you an image of the kid.

Even if Apple sends it back to the original owner, he or she might've sold it to someone else.. the other guy could still get fucked. Last option IMO if no one messages you.

dvst8 08-13-2013 07:35 AM

A shot in the dark but since the phone has a pic of owners kids. Try uploading(take a pic of phone) it to
Search by Image ? Inside Search ? Google

zx7rrrr 08-13-2013 08:09 AM

Ill give you $350 for it

TOPEC 08-13-2013 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vafanculo (Post 8299568)
Its an iPhone 5, so there's a good chance its a locked phone. Go to diff stores and ask to pop in diff Sim cards. If one finds service, u know it belongs to that service provider. If the Sim works, they can call their tech support and the imei will be registered to the test Sim card. Then they can use the imei to find the account using that imei. Then they will call the owner.
Posted via RS Mobile

U do know there is an easier way to find the imei, which is engraved onto the back cover

vafanculo 08-13-2013 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TOPEC (Post 8299790)
U do know there is an easier way to find the imei, which is engraved onto the back cover

Maybe. I haven't had an iPhone since the second gen so I wouldn't know. If that's so then even better.
Posted via RS Mobile

snails 08-13-2013 11:10 AM

put a sim card in it and wait till the cops show up at your door!

:fullofwin: