REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 08-14-2013, 10:52 PM   #51
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anjew View Post
when someone is resists to comply with the officers requests, what message does that send to the officer?

If you were the officer asking for identification and the person resists, then what? give them a ticket?

also the term 'beating' is highly exaggerated which was used in the one sided story. Obviously she wasn't 'Beaten' but sustained injuries from being restrained.
Well then dude, how about I cuff you, and I'll "restrain" you upside the head a few times and see how you feel on the terminology.

Injuries from being restrained should not leave that level of bruises.

As I said, I'm sure she was being llippy(she admitted that) but we don't assign the rights to a police officer to punish people roadside.
Advertisement
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-14-2013, 11:12 PM   #52
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,183 Times in 606 Posts
So if someone is acting completely out of control, being lippy and what not, refusing to obey orders, are the police officers there to just say "have a good day ma'am, I'll mail you this ticket"?

Arresting is a form of punishment, the person was bad, now they're being taken in to get processed. If she was resisting arrest and ignoring what an officer was asking her to do, what form of action is the officer to do? Stand there while some lady has a mini temper tantrum?

Gridlock, what would you do if you were the officer, and I was the dentist in this exact scenario? You want my ID/reg, and I get lippy and tell you I won't comply until you stop tapping on my window, and even when you do, im still going to be lippy and te you how you shouldnt treat my property like that, and from there I get even more lippy and in the event you asked me to step out of the car due to the fact that I'm not complying. What would your next course of action be?

I'm now out of the car, and slightly resisting arrest just to the point where it's not needed to tackle me to the floor and tase me(yet) but could easily get to that point through the next 30 seconds of your actions.

I know you'd call back up just as much as I would, but back up won't be there for 5-10 min and you've got a pissed off person infront of you who isn't complying with you.

What do you do?

(If I do get tackled and I squirm and you need to use even more force to control me and i keep slipping out of your grips, and I leave just as banged up as her, is it my fault for being an asshat, or your fault for using way to much force on me)

(This isn't an I think your a retard post, I'm just curious as to what you would have done)
Posted via RS Mobile

Last edited by stewie; 08-14-2013 at 11:17 PM.
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 11:22 PM   #53
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,235 Times in 1,221 Posts
Unless that lady actually started hitting him first I don't see how that cop can go home and feel like he did a good job that day. Sorry but if you're a cop and you can't restrain a small woman without slamming her face into the ground with considerable force maybe you should find another career. It's one thing to be trained a certain way and another to assess that you're probably a lot stronger than certain individuals and maybe you don't need to treat everyone like a juiced up biker who has AIDS and teeth like a Great White.

But i'm sure any video will show that his life was in grave danger.
MarkyMark is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-14-2013, 11:29 PM   #54
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,168 Times in 7,157 Posts
As has been said, try taking down a flailing individual to cuff them and be gentle about it. Its not happening. Concrete is fucking hard, and hitting it with even a little bit of force will bang you up. I've been taken down by a cop before, and the fact is they are trying to be quick, and minimize any possible threat an irate suspect can cause. Fast and lightly don't go together. If she actually needed to be arrested as such is the suspicious part here, but if for any reason she did resist arrest, she deserves to be taken down as any non-petite female dentist.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 11:33 PM   #55
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

i'm not going to defend the officer because frankly we dont really know exactly what happened. However i agree that excessive force is definitely uncalled for in these situations. Hopefully dash cam evidence is available.

there are however some points that are really interesting.

1. why is her window still fully up when it is clearly a checkpoint? the officer probably didn't even hear her tell him to stop banging on the window since its still up...
2. why is she still on the phone while the officer is clearly asking her for ID or asking her to get out?
3. why didnt she just provide the ID??
4. when officers have to resort to use force to remove a subject from their vehicle, i cant help but to profile that individual in a certain way.
Anjew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 11:36 PM   #56

I don't think race, gender, or size should even be a factor in these cases.

It's plain and simple, there's an easy way, or a hard way. By the sounds of it, she went the hard way.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 08-14-2013, 11:50 PM   #57
HELP ME PLS!!!

Race might be a factor, by the sounds of her accent. Maybe in her country; police are corrupt and she was calling 911 to verify the cops badge.

There's a shit ton of things that could have happened here, and I highly doubt the police would release the dash cam since it would most likely damage their case.

If this was a small man, would you feel the same way? Or just because she's a woman she gets special rights.

Last edited by DragonChi; 08-15-2013 at 12:07 AM.
DragonChi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 12:07 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonChi View Post
If this was a small man, would you feel the same way? Or just because she's a woman she gets special rights.
That was my thought not to long ago.

If it was a male dentist and a female cop had to take him down he'd probably be in jail for assault on a police officer due to his elbow grazing her face on the way to the pavement lol

Remember that bus driver video where the lady is screaming at him and he uppercuts her and tells her if she's gonna act like a man he's gonna treat her like one.
Funny how everyone on here was saying "bitch had it coming to her", yet this case it's all "force wasn't needed" "he shouldn't have done what he did" etc...
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 08-15-2013, 09:30 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonChi View Post
Race might be a factor, by the sounds of her accent. Maybe in her country; police are corrupt and she was calling 911 to verify the cops badge.
if that was what really happened wouldn't she have said that in her completely one sided news interview?

corrupt or not, in which country do you think being resistant in a road check is the smart thing to do?

Last edited by Anjew; 08-15-2013 at 09:37 AM.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:35 AM   #60
RS Veteran

Thanked 1,265 Times in 618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpl0sive View Post
you might want to re-read what my post said. you even quoted it.... i said you have to roll the window down enough to give them your DL/insurance papers.
you are right, I misread your post or may have read someone elses and quoted your post by accident... or at least my first quote of "stewie" that you are claiming you posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock View Post
Well then dude, how about I cuff you, and I'll "restrain" you upside the head a few times and see how you feel on the terminology.

Injuries from being restrained should not leave that level of bruises.

As I said, I'm sure she was being llippy(she admitted that) but we don't assign the rights to a police officer to punish people roadside.
some people bruise easily. I am not saying that is what happened in this case, but bruises may or may not be indicative of the level of injuries sustained. And where the hell is the Sexual Assault??? Good job again by the media. I don't even remember her saying she was Sexually Assaulted in the clip.

If she was handcuffed and was still kicking and screaming, and was taken down while cuffed due to her erratic behaviour, there is a high likelihood she will hand on her chest/face as her arms are behind her back.
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 10:27 AM   #61
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anjew View Post
if that was what really happened wouldn't she have said that in her completely one sided news interview?

corrupt or not, in which country do you think being resistant in a road check is the smart thing to do?
It would make sense, but after coming out of a scuffle with a cop looking like that, a lot of things don't make sense. In other words, she should have but she might not be thinking clearly.

Mexico, Arabic countries where women aren't even allow to drive, Rhwanda in 1994 if your a Tutsis (let alone being a women), are some countries that come to mind. I wouldn't even stop, I'd keep driving till I found a very public place.

Last edited by DragonChi; 08-15-2013 at 10:52 AM.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-15-2013, 10:51 AM   #62
Banned By Establishment

On revscene, I find people to be either-complacent to the point of being apologetic OR CiC level question gravity as a method of government suppression type.

I'm not saying either one is good or bad, but a curious thing.

There doesn't seem to be a middle ground where this particular police officer may be a dick. It IS possible. He just maybe had a bad day and threw her to the ground to shut her up.
Old 08-15-2013, 02:27 PM   #63
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,206 Times in 385 Posts
Tibu told him she would not produce her license and registration if he continued to hit her car.

She says she also told him she would begin filming him on her phone if he hit the car again.

Sounds like poking a bear with a stick and complaining if it bites back. I wasn't there so I don't know what happened. Who knows maybe they had a disagreement on the definition of "cavity" search.
sdubfid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 01:59 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdubfid View Post
Tibu told him she would not produce her license and registration if he continued to hit her car.

She says she also told him she would begin filming him on her phone if he hit the car again.

Sounds like poking a bear with a stick and complaining if it bites back. I wasn't there so I don't know what happened. Who knows maybe they had a disagreement on the definition of "cavity" search.
exactly, based on the accounts that she herself provided, you cant classify her as a typical 'i'm new in your country or customs" that many of you are putting her out to be.

Since you guys are big on assumptions, i'm going to assume the officer being on a busy and loud roadstop didn't hear a thing she said through her rolled up windows.

@dragonchii nice stretch there based on her accent i guess. You assumed she is new in the country because of that? ignoring the facts like how she is a practicing professional in our country, has a drivers license, threatening to video tape police. None of which supports any of your examples. she had enough time to familiarize herself with our customs as evident by her threat to video tape police...

i'm not defending unjustified aggression especially from people that we have charged to protect us and our families but i have encountered enough of her types to not blatantly assume innocence.
Old 08-17-2013, 02:16 PM   #65
HELP ME PLS!!!

I said 'could be new to the country', I didn't say she was. It was hypothesis on why she was being so adamant.

OK, some facts I do know, at the BCDL, there are tests that aren't even presented in Canadian official languages. So how familiar do you have to be to not even speak our language to get a DL?

Assuming that she did know our customs are rolled down the windows a tiny crack to give registration and DL, how did it escalate to a physical encounter? There's a good chance she got out of her car. Even in my experience, cops don't like it when you do that.
Old 08-17-2013, 02:32 PM   #66
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,185 Times in 304 Posts
did anyone actually read the story that's posted?

Quoted:

Tibu claims the sheriff violently hit her window. When she opened it, he asked her to hand over her drivers license and insurance information.

“I advised him I would do so if he stopped hitting my car.”

Tibu also told him that if he didn’t, she would record him on her phone.

“At that moment, he became very violent. He took his hands through my window, hit my right hand, where I have bruises on it, smashed my cell phone out of my hands, and told me… ‘Get out of your car now.’”

clearly she had her window open. sounds like the cop was hitting either a body panel or another window. she fucked up when she refused to identify herself by giving the cop her DL/Regi. she instead pulled out her phone and threatened to video tape the cop. that's when things escalated and the cop told her to get out of the car and put her in handcuffs and slammed her to the ground.

from the story that's available, sounds like excessive force by the cop. I'm still trying to think of a situation where his actions were appropriate. I can't think of a reason to put a lady face first on the pavement... but that's just me.

A car can be only 2 out of the 3.
xpl0sive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 02:53 PM   #67
RS Veteran

Quote:

Quoted:

Tibu claims the sheriff violently hit her window. When she opened it, he asked her to hand over her drivers license and insurance information.

“At that moment, he became very violent. He took his hands through my window, hit my right hand, where I have bruises on it, smashed my cell phone out of my hands, and told me… ‘Get out of your car now.’”

clearly she had her window open. sounds like the cop was hitting either a body panel or another window. she fucked up when she refused to identify herself by giving the cop her DL/Regi. she instead pulled out her phone and threatened to video tape the cop. that's when things escalated and the cop told her to get out of the car and put her in handcuffs and slammed her to the ground.

from the story that's available, sounds like excessive force by the cop. I'm still trying to think of a situation where his actions were appropriate. I can't think of a reason to put a lady face first on the pavement... but that's just me.
good conclusion made by the angle the media portrayed
Old 08-17-2013, 02:57 PM   #68
HELP ME PLS!!!

Admittedly, I only watched the video.

After reading the article, that has also been updated. I'm interested in the results of the internal investigation after 1-2 weeks.

If the accounts of the woman are true, I hope the sheriff finds himself with jail time.

Last edited by DragonChi; 08-17-2013 at 03:12 PM.
Old 08-17-2013, 10:12 PM   #69
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:

Quoted:

Coming from someone who used to work in the news industry, let me say one thing:

It's all in the way the author words an article. It's very easy to slip in specific words in order to sway a reader to think one thing when another word could have been just as easily used, but without the added emotion.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-18-2013, 05:41 AM   #70
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,490 Times in 570 Posts
Heres what I take from this story.
Sheriff pulls over speeder, sheriff takes his time in his car running the plate while doing so the speeder takes a cell phone call as such has her window rolled up and doesnt pay attention to the sheriff as he approaches the car. Sheriff is getting annoyed at the lack of attention and respect he and the situation is bein given and as such is rapping on the window to gain speeders attention. Words are exchanged roll down window gimmie papers bla bla bla. Sheriff requests she get out of the car yet speeder is still on the phone so sheriff ends that conversation by smacking the phone out of her hand. I'm sure more choice words were exchanged and probably some erratic behavior as well. Sheriff proceeds to restrain her using his reasonable force and cuffs. Speeder is not very stable on her feet when cuffed pushed against a car and disillusioned about her lack of what she thinks are her rights sqirmy and probably still lippy and guess what? She falls over with no hands to break her fall.
The rest you hear or read is her side of the story.
I may be wrong but I'm just filling in the blanks as I see they possibly are. Moral of the story, when a peace or police officer stop you for ANY reason give them your full undivided attention.

11938 95a Ave Delta
I can be reached VIA text @ 778-232-1465

Oil change special $70 5 liters synthetic oil including OEM filter Fender rolling from $45 per fender
Car Audio:
Focal, Morel, Genesis, Clarion, Scosche, Escort, Compustar, GReddy, Blitz, Tomei, Motul, Endless, Defi, Cusco, Nismo + More

We specialize in:
Custom Car Audio
Race/4x4 Fabrication
Forced Induction
Engine Swaps
General Maintenance
Phil@rise is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-19-2013, 08:10 PM   #71
Support Team Mod

In other Alberta News

'Mantracker' sidekick wounded after being shot by Alberta RCMP

Read more: 'Mantracker' sidekick wounded after being shot by Alberta RCMP | CTV News

'Mantracker' sidekick wounded after being shot by Alberta RCMP | CTV News

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...kick-shot.html

Impreza '08
Yamaha RS Warrior MidNight 1700 '05
Aprilia Mana 850 '09

"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me."
-Hunter S. Thompson-
Gwilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:38 PM   #72
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil@rise View Post
when a peace or police officer stop you for ANY reason give them your full undivided attention.
Because its respectful? Sure.
Because its efficient? Absolutely
kind
friendly
quicker
envionmentally greener? Sure

But because we fear the police?
Abso-fucking-lutely not.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-20-2013, 06:38 PM   #73
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock View Post
Because its respectful? Sure.
Because its efficient? Absolutely
kind
friendly
quicker
envionmentally greener? Sure

But because we fear the police?
Abso-fucking-lutely not.
Because you did something wrong, to be detained during a traffic stop? yup

because if you don't comply by providing certain documents and answering specific questions it can be considered obstruction? yup

and if you still resist/prevent the police officer from performing his/her duties regarding their investigation could you be arrested? yup

and if you physically prevent the police officer from taking you into custody, the necessary force will be used to get you in cuffs? you damn well better believe it!