REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > House and Home Renovations

House and Home Renovations THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Designing your new condo or townhouse? Renovating your kitchen? Share your photos and project ideas with other experts here! We're not just modifying our cars anymore..

Old 08-13-2013, 04:53 PM   #1
UFO
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Recommendations on updating appliances

We are looking to replace our 15+ year old fridge, electric stove/oven, and dishwasher with the goal of updating the look and adding some appeal to our unit when we sell in the next 12-24 months. Stainless or stainless/look would be great, our current setup is white and looking tired.

So we don't want to go out and buy all new top end stuff obviously. Looking for good value stuff, used for 1-3 years is perfectly fine as long as it works well and looks good. Looking to spend no more than $1000 on the set of appliances, but obviously less is better. We could piece out a setup from the Brick for that price, but it doesn't look much better than what we currently have and the only benefit is that we can say its 'new'.

Aside from scouring Craigslist, anybody have any recommendations on reputable appliance dealers or leads on where to look?
Advertisement
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 06:03 PM   #2
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
Trail Appliances

Also I recall seeing some sort of appliance warehouse type of place in surrey. Can't remember exact details or it might be my imagination. worth a google search. They sold used appliances

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 09:21 PM   #3
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
Use appliances are okay. Used ovens fair a lot better than fridges and its near impossible to fine a good working dishwasher.

I buy most of my stuff at Dial-An-Appliance in New West. Cheap...decent quality...3 month warranty.

Their inventory changes daily so you may want to call ahead and see what they have.
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 10:22 PM   #4
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
If you are selling your unit, and going for top dollar you have one thing to consider: are your appliances shitty? Do you think you'll get more money for having good appliances?

If yes, then slam the trio on your brick card, sell your unit and pay off the card. Depot/Brick/Sears/Future...pick it and stick it.

Most people want a set of appliances. I don't get it myself, but most do. I personally want the best of the three for the dollar and the guys that make a nicer dishwasher don't necessarily make a great fridge.

I'm sorry, but at $330 including tax a piece you aren't solving the appliance issue for your condo, you are at best delaying it. Bang the 3g's on your card a day before listing and deliver in time for pictures.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-14-2013, 10:02 AM   #5
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Honestly, less than 1000 on the three biggest piece of appliances will not get you very far even when you're looking at getting it used. Like what gridlock said, if you're serious about selling, then fork out maybe around 2000-2500, get some nicer appliances and if you're still paying mortgages on the house, the interests you save by a quick sale will more than make up for the appliance costs than if it takes a much longer time to sell
Bring some RS people with you to help u GANG BANG the guy!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Selanne_200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 10:41 AM   #6
UFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock View Post
If you are selling your unit, and going for top dollar you have one thing to consider: are your appliances shitty? Do you think you'll get more money for having good appliances?

If yes, then slam the trio on your brick card, sell your unit and pay off the card. Depot/Brick/Sears/Future...pick it and stick it.

Most people want a set of appliances. I don't get it myself, but most do. I personally want the best of the three for the dollar and the guys that make a nicer dishwasher don't necessarily make a great fridge.

I'm sorry, but at $330 including tax a piece you aren't solving the appliance issue for your condo, you are at best delaying it. Bang the 3g's on your card a day before listing and deliver in time for pictures.
Thanks for everybody's input. I had checked out Trail, but they are going to be overbudget for what we are looking for. Thanks for the lead dino, I'll put it on my list to check out.

We aren't really looking to solve any problems long term. The current original appliances are dated, and look the part, but function absolutely fine. If we weren't planning to move, we'd have no problems continuing on with them. The main thing is just updating the look and freshening up the kitchen (along with a couple of other small projects I've got planned).

When we eventually list/sell, we are hoping the reno's in our unit along with the new(er) appliances will make it more appealing vs. other units in the building, and not necessarily aiming to get top dollar back, so we are looking at this appliance cost as a sunk cost. So in this regard, the less we sink, the better. Given our area and building, I don't expect quick sales to happen even with brand new top of the line pimptastic appliances.
Old 08-14-2013, 10:42 AM   #7
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

There are some places that sell new, but scratch and dent appliances. Sears Outlet in Burnaby (in front of Lougheed mall) comes to mind. There's also a place in Langley that deals in this stuff, sorry, don't remember their name right now.

Just go over the appliances and make sure to pick out ones where the scratches or dents are in places that won't ever be seen. ie. If the fridge goes next to a wall make sure that the damage is on the wall side of the fridge.
604STIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 06:19 PM   #8
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
+1 Sears outlet. Still a new appliance with full warranty and for a good price.

Their selection greatly varies however...
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 06:38 PM   #9
Meet on the Level and Part on the Square

Thanked 2,093 Times in 669 Posts
I would get a good dishwasher - these are a bit more of a nuisance to replace and is something people are willing to easily settle. Then I'd sink budget into a stove/oven to match. I bought an excellent stainless Bosch dishwasher years ago from Futureshop for $440 - quiet and effective

Afterwards, replace the fridge if you need to, but perhaps leave the "new appliances" to those two. People can be particular about what they like for a fridge, so maybe leave that option to the new owner. Personally, I will always get a fridge now that makes ice and has water.
Zedbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 08:42 AM   #10
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,063 Times in 1,182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
Thanks for everybody's input. I had checked out Trail, but they are going to be overbudget for what we are looking for. Thanks for the lead dino, I'll put it on my list to check out.
Before you write off Trail Appliances, did you know they are willing match other advertised prices (in most cases)?

Only exception is if the competitor's price is less than Trail's "cost" price. For example, Future Shop buys 1000 LG fridges for $500 each and sells them for $550. But Trail doesn't normally carry the fridge, and can only get them from LG for $600 each. Trail won't PM Future Shop and sell it to you for $550 (at a loss).
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 12:24 PM   #11
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
Vinyl wrap your fridge for a new look. Refrigerator Wraps ? AR WRAPS

Old 08-16-2013, 11:04 PM   #12
UFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Before you write off Trail Appliances, did you know they are willing match other advertised prices (in most cases)?

Only exception is if the competitor's price is less than Trail's "cost" price. For example, Future Shop buys 1000 LG fridges for $500 each and sells them for $550. But Trail doesn't normally carry the fridge, and can only get them from LG for $600 each. Trail won't PM Future Shop and sell it to you for $550 (at a loss).
Thanks for that. I wasn't aware, but also don't think we'll stretch our budget to that point. If Trail won't PM below their cost, why wouldn't I just buy from the cheaper place? I'm not sure what Trail would offer me to justify spending the extra cash in that hypothetical circumstance.

I think used is really the only way we're going to hit our price point. If we were planning to stay here and use the appliances for 3-5+ years then buying new would be a worthwhile consideration for us. I like the vinyl wrap idea, starting to think along my wavelength
Old 08-17-2013, 06:51 AM   #13
Survivor MOD

Thanked 1,623 Times in 577 Posts
sell the place as is.

clean up the appliances as best as you can

knock off a few g's for the cost of replacing all of them.
T4RAWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 02:21 PM   #14
Director of RS Cares

Unless your appliances are on its last leg..I'd say just wait it out and sell your place as is. Chances are if the appliances need upgrading..the suite itself will need it too and most buyers nowadays will want to put in their own upgrades. A couple thousand in upgrades isn't going to make your property sell for a better price unless it's quite significant (opening up walls, flooring, new cabinets etc etc as an example)

However, if you are for sure looking to change it up..places like other mentioned are good places to check out. We went to trail appliances and they were really great. A nice tip we had was to purchase appliances with minor defects as a small scratch/dent on the back side (or somewhere not visible to the eye). There would be discounts on those appliances because of something so minor and it wasn't even a defect with the product itself.
Posted via RS Mobile
miss_crayon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 06:33 PM   #15
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Thanked 1,979 Times in 262 Posts
If they're working tart 'em up with a bit of paint.

Over the years I've seen move ins tear out new work for their own taste. Kitchens and baths head up the list.

Clean the hell out of the place so it shows well.
A little caulk, a little paint,
make it look like what it ain't!

Use the appliance budget for this.
finbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 07:02 PM   #16
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,043 Times in 2,076 Posts
If you don't mind the likelihood of having mismatched appliances, some places will clear out dented product. Great deals can be had, especially when it's a side that can be hidden by your counters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:02 PM   #17
UFO

We've done some updates along the way, new floors and new paint all around within the last 5 years. The whole building has had new rainscreen and new windows put in a couple years ago.

I've observed the best deals with scratch and dent appliances are usually on higher end pieces that are way out of our budget. Usually the cheaper/entry level stuff they'll knock off hundred bucks maybe

Once again we're just hoping to be a bit more competitive in our building by having these various upgrades done, not necessarily looking for top dollar. But I would rather spend a grand now (may have to up to 1500 by the looks of things) and make the overall package more appealing as opposed to knocking 5g's off the asking price and then some once the offers start coming
Old 08-20-2013, 09:43 AM   #18
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,063 Times in 1,182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
Thanks for that. I wasn't aware, but also don't think we'll stretch our budget to that point. If Trail won't PM below their cost, why wouldn't I just buy from the cheaper place? I'm not sure what Trail would offer me to justify spending the extra cash in that hypothetical circumstance.
I agree with you - if you're only buying 2-3 appliances, and you can accept delivery immediately, I'd just go to a cheaper place.

If you're buying a large number of appliances though, it's convenient to just buy them from one retailer, pay 1 delivery fee and have them all delivered at the same time. In my case, Trail was able to offer discounts on other items to offset the items that they couldn't sell below their cost. I also don't need my appliances until Oct/Nov, so they're able to keep the agreed upon price after I paid a deposit.
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:25 PM   #19
I don't get it

Last edited by Cassijon; 10-28-2013 at 11:14 PM.
Cassijon is offline   Reply With Quote