REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 08-14-2013, 07:12 AM   #1
Willing to sell a family member for a few minutes on RS

SkyTrain won't take bus transfers with new Compass Card system

SkyTrain won't take bus transfers | Vancouver 24 hrs

Yet another by translink... so users who have bus tickets will have to pay again once they board the skytrain. WTF!
Advertisement
hotjoint is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-14-2013, 07:18 AM   #2
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,581 Times in 4,297 Posts
Translink is a fucken joke...
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-14-2013, 07:31 AM   #3
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,907 Times in 754 Posts
apparently, they (drivers/translink/union) knew about this 2 yrs ago but no one really paid any attention to it back then.
Acura604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 07:34 AM   #4
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

My friend who works at the hospital and they have group employee transit pass, it will be canceled due the compass pass. I wonder will they also cancel UPass? haha
Old 08-14-2013, 07:37 AM   #5
I'm better than you.

Thanked 3,087 Times in 658 Posts
Basically TransLink is saying "get fucked".

'14 Toyota Yaris [Work Daily]
'89 Toyota Cressida MX83 [Collector's status]
'15 Honda Ruckus [Summer cruiser]
'96 Toyota Hilux Surf KZN185 [Weekend Warrior]

Buy & Sell Ratings!
b0unce. [?] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 07:39 AM   #6
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,215 Times in 1,398 Posts
Oh that's fucking garbage... here in Korea, you can transfer between buses and subway stations with a 30 minute window. It's just convenient for everyone.

EDIT: Misleading title.. read through the article, and it's the same in Korea. If you pay with cash, the box doesn't print out a ticket. No one seems to care.. then again, everyone uses a transit card here.
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.

Last edited by Razor Ramon HG; 08-14-2013 at 08:18 AM.
Razor Ramon HG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 07:42 AM   #7

I dont know why translink had to introduce the compass card but they could have use the same system that the bus uses to validate the tickets. Insert the ticket, if valid, sliding door opens, if invalid remain closed.

Edit: perhaps they are trying to save print out ticket papers.
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-14-2013, 07:44 AM   #8
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
HAHAHAHAAHAHAHA this is awesome, I love it when people bitch and whine and moan that "Oh, they should do it THIS way", and then when that finally comes about and things don't work they way they used to, then they bitch and whine and moan that the old way was better.

Everyone griped endlessly about the zone system and "ooo, we should have a card that just deducts from your account, like they have in <insert foreign country>!" Okay, well you have your fuggen card system now, and things have to work differently... and you don't like it. STFU.

Same fuggen thing happened with the cell companies and three-year contracts - "consumer groups" managed to get things changed to get rid and three-year contracts, and guess what? Plan prices are going up. Nice work, fuckheads.

I can't wait to see what the next not-perfect-but-still-pretty-good thing gets fucked up by these whiny "I want everything and I want it now and I want it free" pricks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-14-2013, 07:51 AM   #9
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,207 Times in 432 Posts
why introduce the system when they cant afford to upgrade their whole fleet? i dont get it
dachinesedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 07:52 AM   #10
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,183 Times in 606 Posts
if I was a bus driver id purposely let everyone on ride for free

those who need to pay an 8$ 3 zone bus pass to get to train that will take them downtown (im mainly thinking of people in surrey white rock Langley delta pitt ridge areas) get to the train to pay another 5-8$ on a train ticket to get downtown.....and coming home is the same...30$ round trip to get to work....fuck that
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 07:53 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dachinesedude View Post
why introduce the system when they cant afford to upgrade their whole fleet? i dont get it
Because people have been bitching and whining and moaning for it. Nobody's content to let things get done in their proper time, they want it NOW. So instead of the entire thing being rolled out at once, you get it in bits and pieces, and have to deal with incompatibilities during that crossover time.
Quote:
Old 08-14-2013, 08:10 AM   #12
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 2,237 Times in 251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by i-VTEC View Post
My friend who works at the hospital and they have group employee transit pass, it will be canceled due the compass pass. I wonder will they also cancel UPass? haha
I heard they are also getting rid of the upasses
Posted via RS Mobile
ziggyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 08:14 AM   #13
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
WHY cant translink learn from OTHER well establish countries transit system that works flawlessly... like HongKong for example... 1 re-loadable card for ALL transit system.... not only will save money in the long run (from wasting paper for those single use transfers), its also convenient for travelers...
Old 08-14-2013, 08:24 AM   #14

Thanked 2,459 Times in 1,126 Posts
Well, this is supposed to be an incentive to get a Compass card.

In most other systems in the world, cash fares are the most expensive.
Posted via RS Mobile
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 08:27 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrariEnzo View Post
WHY cant translink learn from OTHER well establish countries transit system that works flawlessly... like HongKong for example... 1 re-loadable card for ALL transit system.... not only will save money in the long run (from wasting paper for those single use transfers), its also convenient for travelers...
But that's the point: people have been bitching for years for them to do this... so now they are. But the buses still need to have some way to read and process the cards. They don't yet, but nobody wanted to wait for the ENTIRE SYSTEM to be ready to implement; there's been massive public pressure to simply get the system up and running, so that's what they did.

This is the problem with letting public opinion and pressure dictate policy: those producing all the pressure don't think through the logistics, impact, or consequences of what they're asking for, they just want it done NOW... and if those being pressured try to explain WHY it can't or shouldn't be done right away, they're shouted down as being lazy, or not wanting to change because they benefit more from the existing system, or whatever.
Quote:
Old 08-14-2013, 08:37 AM   #16
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,065 Times in 1,251 Posts
inb4 beijing style line ups at skytrain stns during rush hour

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 09:04 AM   #17
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
To me the biggest issue is that the whole compact pass system is not going to be ready when they roll out. Also there is not enough info. Are they still going to use the Zone system (which is stupid), what about druing rush hour I mean when those gates it is going to take forever to go through and not to mention you have people going in and out at the same time.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 09:11 AM   #18

They actually had a plan for compass card for the buses too....

Picture was grabbed from Compass Card

Edit: are they now saying buses will just keep using the paper fare tickets? at least for now?

I guess they ran out of the 25 Million for the whole implementation
Old 08-14-2013, 09:14 AM   #19
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

they basically want people to use the compass card, just go get one, problem solved

member of the "Go To Jail For BoA Anytime Crew"
URA RENGE - Taijutsu Master of the Hidden Revscene Village

{o,o} ......ya rly!
/)__)
-"-"-
PSN: AznAlien
Grandmaster TSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 09:18 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
To me the biggest issue is that the whole compact pass system is not going to be ready when they roll out. Also there is not enough info. Are they still going to use the Zone system (which is stupid), what about druing rush hour I mean when those gates it is going to take forever to go through and not to mention you have people going in and out at the same time.
I've taken transit systems in the busiest cities in the world (London, HK, NYC, Paris) and the gates themselves are fine. My concern is that there aren't enough of them, particularly at many of the Canada Line stations such as Waterfront or City Centre.

The Compass Card will allow Translink to gather data on trips so that they can implement distance-based pricing. But, of course, this isn't good enough for people who want everything now.

You know who will be hurt by distance-based pricing? People living in Surrey-Langley who have to travel to North Van, for instance. The current zone pricing actually benefits long-distance travellers.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 08-14-2013, 09:20 AM   #21
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewie View Post
if I was a bus driver id purposely let everyone on ride for free

those who need to pay an 8$ 3 zone bus pass to get to train that will take them downtown (im mainly thinking of people in surrey white rock Langley delta pitt ridge areas) get to the train to pay another 5-8$ on a train ticket to get downtown.....and coming home is the same...30$ round trip to get to work....fuck that
Exactly. So if I was going to work even in Vancouver and I'm riding from Richmond; $2.75 for 1 zone trip to the sky train from my house (if prices don't rise that is), then another $4 at skytrain for a 2 zone ticket.

Coming back from work before 6pm its going to be $4 skytrain trip and another $2.75 for bus. So are they saying I need to get this preloaded compass card in order to be more convenient?
BaoTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 09:20 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandmaster TSE View Post
they basically want people to use the compass card, just go get one, problem solved
For those who take buses and skytrain to commute to work would be like, solve what?

Everyone will be force to get compass card if you are taking skytrain.

The problem is that people will be paying extra because buses are not equip to validate compass card, so ended up paying for a bus fair, and get charged again on your compass card.
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-14-2013, 09:23 AM   #23

Quote:
For those who take buses and skytrain to commute to work would be like, solve what?

Everyone will be force to get compass card if you are taking skytrain.

The problem is that people will be paying extra because buses are not equip to validate compass card, so ended up paying for a bus fair, and get charged again on your compass card.
What? Reading comprehension fail.

Buses have Compass Card readers. People tap to get on and tap when they get off.

Skytrain stations won't have transfer readers, so people will be forced to pay another cash fare or.... Get a Compass Card! Which is the whole point so that Translink can measure trips to implement distance-based pricing, make better adjustments to bus routes, save money on administering transfers, etc.
Posted via RS Mobile
This post thanked by:
Old 08-14-2013, 09:25 AM   #24
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
They actually had a plan for compass card for the buses too....

Picture was grabbed from Compass Card

Edit: are they now saying buses will just keep using the paper fare tickets? at least for now?

I guess they ran out of the 25 Million for the whole implementation
The compact pass scanner is for people to get off. They would scan the compact pass when passenger get off.

From my understanding is that when you get on any skytrain, bus you scan the compact bus and it will dedut the cost of a 3 zone fair and when you get off you scan again and then it will refund you any extra credit it takes off.

Example you travel only 1 zone the system will charge you 3 zone when you get on and when you get off you get refund it. Which is dumb because it is going to be a huge issue during rush hour, what if the system fails to scan it? What if I only have neough for a 2 zone fair and I am only taveling within 2 zones?
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 09:29 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
The compact pass scanner is for people to get off. They would scan the compact pass when passenger get off.

From my understanding is that when you get on any skytrain, bus you scan the compact bus and it will dedut the cost of a 3 zone fair and when you get off you scan again and then it will refund you any extra credit it takes off.

Example you travel only 1 zone the system will charge you 3 zone when you get on and when you get off you get refund it. Which is dumb because it is going to be a huge issue during rush hour, what if the system fails to scan it? What if I only have neough for a 2 zone fair and I am only taveling within 2 zones?
Most other card-based systems allow you to run a negative balance up to a certain amount.

Why can't we just wait until the testing is done? People who design these systems aren't idiots and probably have thought up of all the problems.
Posted via RS Mobile
This post thanked by: