REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 08-14-2013, 08:34 PM   #101
degenerate extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock View Post
Oh yes, won't you think of the homeless then.
No.

I'm solely addressing the issue of Translink charging $6 for the Compass card. I'm not here to sympathize with anybody, or to bitch anybody out. Take your irrelevant messages elsewhere.
Advertisement
He would step out of his freshly downtown autospa detailed 996 C4s, check out his own reflection in the driverside window out of habit, take off his brand new limited edition D&G aviator sunglasses so the mf can see the fury in his eyes, sashay over to the other guy and then threaten to insert his black leather Savatore Ferragamo loafers into the guys rear-end.
Ikkaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 09:18 PM   #102
private modder

Thanked 2,620 Times in 734 Posts
Quote:
TransLink statement: Bus to rail transfer still possible with Compass Card

August 14, 2014

There have been a number of recent media reports about the ability of the upcoming Compass Card to support bus to rail transfers for cash fares paid when a customer starts a trip on a bus. It is important to put this into context as we do have a solution to address this.

The easiest way to travel across the system will be to use a Compass Card. When you use a Compass Card, you will be able to transfer between all transit modes, including bus and rail easily, as well as enjoy the many other additional benefits of Compass, including a discount of up to 14 per cent over cash fares.

To be clear, you’ll be able to transfer from bus to rail with the Compass Card or a Compass ticket. It is only customers who purchase fares on buses with cash who will notbe able to use those transfers to transfer to rail—approximately 6,000 customers per day out of our 1.2 million daily rides.

TransLink took the time to seek and listen to advice from peers in other agencies that have launched systems similar to ours and several operational options were explored. We are not unique in our approach. Many other transit systems around the world who we consulted with, including London and Paris, also don’t allow cash bus to rail transfers.

We determined that converting bus fareboxes to issue passes that would access the fare gates would cost about $25 million, is not a cost-effective solution, and would take a long time to implement. In focus groups, our customers told us they would prefer we not spend the money on replacing the fareboxes and instead focus on significant rider education in advance of the change being made in order to give customers plenty of time to get a Compass Card (that will facilitate the transfer to the rail system). In addition, there will be an extended transition period for our customers.

We are committed to ensuring a successful integration for our customers. Our focus between now and late fall 2013 is on addressing functionality and performance to ensure that the system is suitable for use. We have a robust education and awareness program planned to ensure a successful transition for our customers.

As is the case with many significant, complex and innovative Information Technology (IT) projects such as Compass, the technology will be introduced in phases. The great thing about Compass is that the technology has built-in flexibility and scalability which will allow us to eventually add additional customer-friendly features to continue to enhance the customer experience.

For more information or to request an interview, contact:
Derek Zabel
C: (604) 803-3199
E: media@translink.ca
seems reasonable. the pros outweigh the cons.
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 09:39 PM   #103
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
To me the biggest issue is that the whole compact pass system is not going to be ready when they roll out. Also there is not enough info. Are they still going to use the Zone system (which is stupid), what about druing rush hour I mean when those gates it is going to take forever to go through and not to mention you have people going in and out at the same time.
haha, I laugh at translink for their incompetence. I had to take the bus for a few weeks and using the canada line. I don't know why they decided to use fare gates with doors, and not turnstiles. those things are going to break down in the heart beat. I don't think their enough of those fare gates along the canada line either. There will be line ups going in and out of the station. Especially cambie, that fucking station is retarded with the amount of traffic flowing thru there.

I'll just stick to driving for the next 10 yrs. This shit that their planning and equipment their using, ain't going to get people out of their cars.
daytona675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 09:56 PM   #104
HELP ME PLS!!!

We'll see how it works out in time. Even if you drive, I wouldn't be surprised if all the bridges were tolled in 10 years. LOL. Vancouver, what a great city, all of the first world problems to be had.

Last edited by DragonChi; 08-15-2013 at 12:37 AM.
DragonChi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 10:04 PM   #105
nah
My homepage has been set to RS

Scenario: Waterfront to Metrotown bus

- User swipes to get on bus at Waterfront
- User swipes at the next stop (shortest distance, lowest cost)
- User rides all the way to Metro and gets out with the masses

System could be taken advantage in this way. Let me know if I'm wrong anywhere.
nah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 10:47 PM   #106
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
OMG the facts! No , keep them away!!!!! They shed too much light on the issues of the day!

Spoiler!
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 10:49 PM   #107
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nah View Post

Doesn't that mean you double swipe to get out? Well, I guess it works if you walk really close behind someone and there isn't an attendant there.

Last edited by DragonChi; 08-14-2013 at 11:41 PM.
Old 08-14-2013, 11:30 PM   #108
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,232 Times in 2,483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daytona675 View Post
haha, I laugh at translink for their incompetence. I had to take the bus for a few weeks and using the canada line. I don't know why they decided to use fare gates with doors, and not turnstiles. those things are going to break down in the heart beat. I don't think their enough of those fare gates along the canada line either. There will be line ups going in and out of the station. Especially cambie, that fucking station is retarded with the amount of traffic flowing thru there.
Personally, I find that turnstiles work better for those who are generally slimmer. Compared to our southern neighbours, Canadians -- and Vancouverites in particular -- are not as portly. But we still have our fair share of overweight / obese people. Using gates instead turnstiles would very likely work better for this particular group.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 11:41 PM   #109
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 1,536 Times in 427 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nah View Post

that was what i thought of when i first heard about the tap on and tap off. i am sure this is what alot of people are going to do.
SoNaRWaVe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 11:43 PM   #110
MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD

Thanked 3,511 Times in 1,156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
Personally, I find that turnstiles work better for those who are generally slimmer. Compared to our southern neighbours, Canadians -- and Vancouverites in particular -- are not as portly. But we still have our fair share of overweight / obese people. Using gates instead turnstiles would very likely work better for this particular group.
I hope its as simple as scan and walk, and works that fast. That's how the system is in MTL, TO and NYC and it works really well and fast. However they use turnstiles and not gates.. too many moving parts = more parts to fix when it breaks down
[03-07, 03:26] Yodamaster - The feeling when you quickly insert without hitting the sides
nabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 11:51 PM   #111
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,183 Times in 606 Posts
^ go with a group of friends, first guy scans, 6 walk through lol

Does this mean that the transit cops can no longer be able to do fare checks on the train??
Posted via RS Mobile
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 12:08 AM   #112
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 1,536 Times in 427 Posts
^ transit cops will have a portable reader than can check if your compass card has been validated (ie tapped on/off/or have enough cash)
SoNaRWaVe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 12:15 AM   #113
HELP ME PLS!!!

Ugh, this whole fare evasion hunt is getting out of hand. I would rather have them focus on more frequent service, longer hours and increased reliability.

And the gates open and close pretty quick, those friends better be as fast as jamacians and/or kenyans.

Last edited by DragonChi; 08-15-2013 at 12:30 AM.
Old 08-15-2013, 12:19 AM   #114

Thanked 2,114 Times in 482 Posts
but to have more frequent service and longer hours, they need more money!
Alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 12:27 AM   #115
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,212 Times in 1,397 Posts
Just curious.. but for who that are complaining, have they ever even used another transit system with a pass? Everything is being blown out of proportion.

I'm just curious if they'll make an NFC app.
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Razor Ramon HG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 12:29 AM   #116
HELP ME PLS!!!

Cut non-utilized routes and put them on ones that are over capacity.

LOL, Translink doesn't have any money. They can't even build bridges without tolls anymore.
They sure as hell aren't going to raise fares again... or maybe they will... who knows.

I've used Singapore metro and RapidKL in Kuala Lumpur. During my visit I didn't see one transit cop. The volume of buses in a Sinapore bus station would put any Translink station to shame.
Old 08-15-2013, 12:31 AM   #117
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
This thread hurts my head.

No, sorry... some of the comments in this thread hurts my head. The thread in general is blown out of proportion.

First world problems, indeed.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-15-2013, 02:49 AM   #118

Thanked 1,755 Times in 544 Posts
people are Still going to use transit.. They have no other choice.
Posted via RS Mobile
ilovebacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 08:08 AM   #119
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor Ramon HG View Post
Just curious.. but for who that are complaining, have they ever even used another transit system with a pass? Everything is being blown out of proportion.

I'm just curious if they'll make an NFC app.
I was born and raise in HK and I have to say public tranist in HK is a lot better.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-15-2013, 09:01 AM   #120
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
I was born and raise in HK and I have to say public tranist in HK is a lot better.
7 million people in a 1000 km area vs 2.5 million in a 3000km area.

Not even comparable.

Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-15-2013, 09:17 AM   #121
HELP ME PLS!!!

Just to get some clarification, when the Compass Card comes to light, Will they still be charging commuters based on zones or by distance travelled? If the latter, how much per stop or km?
willystyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:19 AM   #122

zone. like others have mentioned, hopefully with the card it allows translink to get more information on how people are travelling so they can look at different ways to charge in the future
Old 08-15-2013, 09:23 AM   #123

Thanked 2,114 Times in 482 Posts
zones. first swipe will auto charge your card 3 zone fare, and on swipe off, it will credit back the zone difference.
Alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:43 AM   #124
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,212 Times in 1,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbaz View Post
zone. like others have mentioned, hopefully with the card it allows translink to get more information on how people are travelling so they can look at different ways to charge in the future
For Seoul, the base rate is 1,050won for 10km, and free for children 6 and under.

For any distance exceeding 10km (within Seoul), it's 100won for each additional 5km.
For any distances exceeding 40km (within Seoul), it's 100won for each additional 10km.
For any distances exceeding 30km (outside Seoul), it's 100won for each additional 5km.

* 1,050won is about a dollar, and 100won is about a dime

I hope we see something similar to this in Vancouver as it makes much more sense than the zone thing, especially for those that live on the Burnaby/Vancouver border.
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Razor Ramon HG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 10:00 AM   #125
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
I think it will change to be a distance based system, but imagine putting in a whole new fare system AND changing the way its charged all on the same day.

You would basically be asking for everyone to accept that everything they knew of the transit system would change in a day, and still make it to work on time.

From a project management perspective, there is only so much you can ask a company to do...even Translink.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: