REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 08-18-2013, 12:25 PM   #226
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
Hell no.

Quote from that petition:

How is it hard to believe? All Translink has to do is look at the total cash from bus trips taken in at the end of the day, compare that amount to the day's total intake, and voila... you've got a very accurate number of how many people pay cash to ride a bus.

Not really what if people with a one zone pass bus board the bus and pay cash to travel to another zone?
Advertisement
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 01:06 PM   #227
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,114 Times in 482 Posts
to those people that sign and back up the petition, i have one question. translink already said it costs about $25 Million to upgrade the equipment in the buses to make it so that riders can pay cash and use the existing fare to ride the rail. and we know for a fact that its only a small percentage of the riders that pay cash on the bus. now, the people that decide to back up that petition, are you willing to pay more for your fare? are you willing to pay more taxes?
Alby is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-18-2013, 03:16 PM   #228
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
Not really what if people with a one zone pass bus board the bus and pay cash to travel to another zone?
Then there would still be a transaction record in the system indicating as such.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 06:39 PM   #229
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,215 Times in 1,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alby View Post
to those people that sign and back up the petition, i have one question. translink already said it costs about $25 Million to upgrade the equipment in the buses to make it so that riders can pay cash and use the existing fare to ride the rail. and we know for a fact that its only a small percentage of the riders that pay cash on the bus. now, the people that decide to back up that petition, are you willing to pay more for your fare? are you willing to pay more taxes?
To put into perspective, 6000 of 1,200,000 daily riders is only 0.05%

In the grand scheme of things, it's such a small minority.. and I hate how people are bitching when they probably use a pass of their own now.

25,000,000 / 6000 = $4,167 of our tax dollars towards each of these daily cash riders refusing to get a damn pass
Posted via RS Mobile
Razor Ramon HG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:14 PM   #230
My homepage has been set to RS

I don't understand why they don't keep the paper tickets? In London they have the Oyster card but you can also buy a single trip paper ticket from a machine. It's not required that you have a card. Looking at the turnstiles at all the stations recently I don't see any slots for a paper ticket to go through.

If it's because they think it will be too slow, just put the stripe down the center of the cards like they do there and IIRC in Barcelona and the ticket can go in any of the four possible directions. Comes out the other side and you grab it as you walk by. Simple.

If this is still in my sig, it's still avail.
falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:20 PM   #231
The Lone Wanderator

Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon View Post
I don't understand why they don't keep the paper tickets? In London they have the Oyster card but you can also buy a single trip paper ticket from a machine. It's not required that you have a card. Looking at the turnstiles at all the stations recently I don't see any slots for a paper ticket to go through.

If it's because they think it will be too slow, just put the stripe down the center of the cards like they do there and IIRC in Barcelona and the ticket can go in any of the four possible directions. Comes out the other side and you grab it as you walk by. Simple.
Among other reasons, because paper tickets are disposable and you then lose the data-based advantage that Translink is gunning for with this set of upgrades. It's not just about the transition to tap or paperless tickets, it's about the amount of information that translink can get when they look at where you start, where you go, what transfers you make, how long you stay at each transfer point and so on and so forth.

Why? So they can do better planning on how to get you from point A to point B faster and more efficiently. Which is what everyone is constantly harping at them to do all the time.
Graeme S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:23 PM   #232
UFO
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

^Falcon: I think what you're suggesting there is the 'at least $9M' fix to allow the gates to read mag stripe transfers. Although cheaper than equipping all buses to dispense RFID Compass cards, still not worth it IMO for the ~6000 who pay cash on the bus and want to transfer, especially if the end goal is to transition everybody onto Compass over time and mine that user data
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 12:16 AM   #233
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Btw the gate is gonna open per person gate? Or is it a turnstile?
BaoTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 12:26 AM   #234
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 1,536 Times in 427 Posts
^ its going to open per person that taps. seriously to the people complaining about this whole no transition from bus to skytrain: just effing get the card and load money onto it. if you're going to be paying cash anyways to ride the system, whats so hard to just put that cash into a frigging card?
SoNaRWaVe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 12:34 AM   #235
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
I love mag stripes.. a simple old walkman with headphone and microphone jack + any computer can decode and encode as many cards as you like. It is great to be able to reuse old technology.

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon View Post

godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 12:45 AM   #236
MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD

Thanked 3,511 Times in 1,156 Posts
I hope that you will have the ability to reload the compass card online at home. I know times when I use the bus its usually a last resort, but i scramble around for change, it would be awesome to know i can refill online.
[03-07, 03:26] Yodamaster - The feeling when you quickly insert without hitting the sides
nabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 04:08 AM   #237
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

i would rather that $25 million go towards possible NFC phone/bcid(??) integration upgrades in the future. The 6000 estimate would drop considerably and EVERYONE would benefit.
Anjew is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-19-2013, 08:03 AM   #238
Willing to sell a family member for a few minutes on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabs View Post
I hope that you will have the ability to reload the compass card online at home. I know times when I use the bus its usually a last resort, but i scramble around for change, it would be awesome to know i can refill online.
hope so
hotjoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:33 PM   #239
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabs View Post
i was listening to news1130 and a translink rep who was answering questions said you would be able to refill it online.
Anjew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:41 PM   #240
The Lone Wanderator

Safety and Security
Quote:
Your Identity is Safe
Although Compass Cards and tickets are electronic, no personal customer information – such as name, credit card or banking identity – is stored on the electronic chip. The chip only identifies the product or value stored on the card, and the card's serial number and status. Any personal information that's required will be kept in the secure "back office" system and not on the card itself.

Balance Protection
For added security, customers that choose to register their Compass Card will benefit from balance protection, protecting the value of the card in the event it's lost or stolen. Card registration also offers "AutoLoad" – a convenience feature for pass renewals or top-ups when the card's stored value drops below a certain amount.

Safer and Smarter
The electronic chip in every Compass Card not only helps to protect your balance and your personal privacy; it also helps to directly improve the overall efficiency of our transit system. All of the chips being tapped in and out will deliver mass data on how customers use transit – and harnessing this data will help us gain a better understanding of which routes are busy and which are not, and how people transfer - allowing us to better plan and assess the needs of our riders.

System Improvements
In addition, preparations for Compass will also create opportunities for more system improvements.
Better lighting, greater accessibility and expanded stations
Upgrades to Expo Line (27+ years old)
Replacement of existing expanded metal mesh panels with glass at some Expo Line stations for greater visibility
Additional closed–circuit cameras and control centres to monitor customer safety and security
New centres dedicated to monitoring faregate operations
Improved elevator entrances
Installation of new customer assistance telephones at stations all around the system to help answer questions, and a new customer service centre to assist Compass cardholders
This post thanked by:
Old 08-19-2013, 09:31 PM   #241
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,183 Times in 606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme S View Post
question regarding their safety and security of lost/stolen wallets/cards...

since skytrains and busses have security cameras at the entrances of the stations and on the busses...if your wallet or card ever gets stolen, would you be able to call them up and find the last time your card was used, and have them bring up the video footage of when the person used it so you could get a sight of who they are? or would that be way to much work for them, resulting in them saying...spend another 6$ on a new card.
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:27 PM   #242
The Lone Wanderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewie View Post
question regarding their safety and security of lost/stolen wallets/cards...

since skytrains and busses have security cameras at the entrances of the stations and on the busses...if your wallet or card ever gets stolen, would you be able to call them up and find the last time your card was used, and have them bring up the video footage of when the person used it so you could get a sight of who they are? or would that be way to much work for them, resulting in them saying...spend another 6$ on a new card.
Ever had your phone stolen, and you call the phone company asking where it is and whether it's called anyone? They'll tell you that they don't have access to that information. Imagine if you had an abusive wife or husband who was trying to track down their spouse and knew the spouse's information well enough to claim that they had their wallet/compass stolen. "Yes, I'd like to know if it's been used since I got off at X place, to see if I can find it. Oh, it has? Can you tell me where?"

Even if they can track it, they'll most likely not release that information to you. It's not unpossible that it'll be easier for them to cross-reference things with the cops however.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:40 PM   #243
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,183 Times in 606 Posts
^ never had anything stolen actually

Was just wondering if it would be like a credit card(gets stolen and they can find out where and when it was last used). If people are daily users, they'd probably tend to load the card with more to make loading less frequent.

If I were to load it up with 50$ to find out after 2-3 days it gets stolen and some prick uses it for the next month, I'd be kinda pissed lol

But oh well
Posted via RS Mobile
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:08 PM   #244

Thanked 4,984 Times in 995 Posts
was in an empty bus and a mother of 2 told her kids that the future tickets from skytrains can not transfer to buses, the kids almost cried... i almost cried (they were very poor)

Can someone tell good or unusual dating spots? Or what was your the most unusual date? THanks for sharing!
Quote:
my bedroom =D
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhillon09 View Post
that's a great secret date spot,
i bet no girl in vancouver has seen it.
Verdasco is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-19-2013, 11:11 PM   #245
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Ever had your phone stolen, and you call the phone company asking where it is and whether it's called anyone? They'll tell you that they don't have access to that information. Imagine if you had an abusive wife or husband who was trying to track down their spouse and knew the spouse's information well enough to claim that they had their wallet/compass stolen. "Yes, I'd like to know if it's been used since I got off at X place, to see if I can find it. Oh, it has? Can you tell me where?"

Even if they can track it, they'll most likely not release that information to you. It's not unpossible that it'll be easier for them to cross-reference things with the cops however.
I know it was on purpose, but I had to...

Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-19-2013, 11:48 PM   #246
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdasco View Post
was in an empty bus and a mother of 2 told her kids that the future tickets from skytrains can not transfer to buses, the kids almost cried... i almost cried (they were very poor)

Should have mentioned that compass would actually save them money.

Cars:
02' Lexus IS300 5spd
07' BMW 323iA
05' BMW Z4 5spd
06' BMW 330i 6spd
10' Audi A4 quattro
08' BMW M3 6spd
15' Kawasaki Ninja300
08' Yamaha R6
10' Honda Ridgeline
17' Audi Q5
16' BMW X5D

bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:54 PM   #247
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bing View Post

Should have mentioned that compass would actually save them money.
And this is the problem with all the hysteria around this: not only are they getting worked up over an option that's more expensive anyway, they're getting worked up over WRONG information.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-19-2013, 11:58 PM   #248

Thanked 4,984 Times in 995 Posts
cliffs on how they save money?

Can someone tell good or unusual dating spots? Or what was your the most unusual date? THanks for sharing!
Quote:
my bedroom =D
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhillon09 View Post
that's a great secret date spot,
i bet no girl in vancouver has seen it.
Verdasco is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-20-2013, 12:18 AM   #249
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
cliffs on how they save money?
Cliff says read the fucking thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-20-2013, 07:34 AM   #250
UFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewie View Post
If I were to load it up with 50$ to find out after 2-3 days it gets stolen and some prick uses it for the next month, I'd be kinda pissed lol
Posted via RS Mobile
Quote:
For added security, customers that choose to register their Compass Card will benefit from balance protection, protecting the value of the card in the event it's lost or stolen.
Nothing to worry about if you register your card. Same idea as Starbucks' giftcards with balance protection IF you register
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote