REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 08-19-2013, 09:36 PM   #1
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,907 Times in 754 Posts
Family of autistic boy asked to leave Ontario community - or have him euthanized

Wow..WTF... whoever wrote the letter better realize that once they are found out...they will be chased out of that community very quickly...but who can chime in on autism and the different effects it has on kids?

NEWCASTLE, Ont. - An Ontario community is rallying around the family of a 13-year-old autistic boy after his grandmother received an anonymous letter telling them to either leave the neighbourhood or have the boy euthanized.

Brenda Millson, of Newscastle, Ont., said she was shocked when she read the letter, which arrived in her mailbox on Friday.

The author of the typed one-page letter claimed to be a mother who lived in the neighbourhood and was upset at the noises Millson's grandson Max made when he was outside.

The letter went on to say the boy's "noise polluting whaling," scared the author's "normal children."

It also included statements such as "he is a hindrance to everyone and will always be that way" and "do the right thing and move or euthanize him."

Millson said she immediately reported the letter to police.

She said Max lives with his parents and older brother in Oshawa, Ont., but he had been visiting her home in Newcastle.

She said the author of the letter may have assumed she is Max's mother.

"At first I couldn't believe what I was reading," she said, adding that she was shaking in disbelief.

"It's just so sick."

Durham regional police said they have been investigating since Friday and that they are taking the letter seriously.

Max's mother, Karla Begley, 44, who is in a wheelchair with multiple sclerosis, said police told her they had never seen a letter "that despicable."

The only hostility the family had sensed in the Newcastle neighbourhood was four years ago, she said.

At the time, Max loved to throw a ball in the backyard and as he often threw it over fences, Millard had written her name and address on it, Begley said.

One day it arrived in the yard tattered, she said. "They took the time to shred the ball with scissors and throw it back over."

Begley added the family did not know what yard the ball was thrown into.

Millson said Max is a wonderful, sweet and lovable boy with a 16-year-old brother who was "infuriated" and "disgusted" by the letter.

Millson said the letter is "pretty gutless."

On Sunday night, at least 120 people waited outside the home for more than an hour in order show their support, Begley said. Families with autistic children drove in from Oshawa to show their support.

"Max was high-fiving everyone. He didn't understand but knew it was for him," Millson said.

Begley said support for the family following the letter has been "bittersweet," adding it's too bad it took such a letter to bring attention to a special needs child.

"It's just a reminder, you know, you've got to treat these kids like they need to be treated," Begley said. "They just want to belong."

Advertisement
Acura604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:02 PM   #2
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,814 Times in 957 Posts
The person who wrote the letter sickens me. On the other hand, I'm not sure if the parent of the autistic kid really lets her kid outside making noises everyday that can constantly be heard by neighbourhood.

Accepting and loving an autistic kid is one thing, but tolerating everything he/she does is another.
flagella is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-19-2013, 10:02 PM   #3
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Someone ignorant enough to write this letter will be dumb enough to brag to others about it. I have no doubt this idiot will be found out and when they are Karma will be a bitch.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-19-2013, 10:09 PM   #4
#savethemanuals

Thanked 2,551 Times in 950 Posts
Wow that makes my insides boil. So much hate.
Energy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:22 PM   #5
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,380 Times in 3,906 Posts
writes the letter with her computer, ignores the spell checker

it would be awesome if they found out who wrote it and the community ostracizes her but i wouldn't be surprised if there was more than one person who felt the same way lots of p.o.s. out there
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:29 PM   #6
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

where is the compassion? the writer of the letter is sickening. big POS
pure.life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:34 PM   #7
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Why would they call police for this? There are no threats in the letter.
JaPoola is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-19-2013, 10:55 PM   #8
Survivor MOD

Thanked 1,623 Times in 577 Posts
what an asshole.

probably gonna get failed for this but legitimately curious. anyone else feel like an asian person wrote it?

the grammer mistakes in the letter are pretty common for ESL students/people (e.g. use of articles a/an/the).

just sayin...

T4RAWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:58 PM   #9
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,510 Times in 4,902 Posts
Community rallies around autistic boy and his family after letter suggested he be euthanized - The Globe and Mail
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:02 PM   #10
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,510 Times in 4,902 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T4RAWR View Post
what an asshole.

probably gonna get failed for this but legitimately curious. anyone else feel like an asian person wrote it?

the grammer mistakes in the letter are pretty common for ESL students/people (e.g. use of articles a/an/the).

just sayin...

Definitely not Asian. Asians typically get their singular/plural and tenses mixed up. This is obviously not ESL, but EFL (English as a First Language, but still can't get it right).
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-19-2013, 11:07 PM   #11
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,380 Times in 3,906 Posts
pretty sure it was a bitch that wrote it and doubt it was an asian, asians like to mind their own business unless there's a kerfuffle where they can gather around and watch
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:08 PM   #12
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Only in Ameri...oh wait.

I wonder if this letter was written by someone who was completely serious or if it was a prank pulled off by a dare of some kind. Not that it really matters, either way.

Some people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T4RAWR View Post
what an asshole.

just sayin...

Nah, just a well written hillbilly.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:26 PM   #13
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Honesty time.

We had this kid move into the neighborhood that barked. We heard him come up the street every morning, and down the street every afternoon. And it was loud. Now, it was the day that I looked down and he's whacking the trees and bushes in the yard with a stick that put me over the edge.

So I went and had a chat, or "chat" with his handler. She barely spoke english, and would just stand there and watch him.

Now...prick move? Maybe. It's not "my" street, but its disrupting a lot of people. It was NEVER the kids fault, but that of the handler(and parents that hired her).

Point is, the letter is a PRICK move. But I also get where people just lose their shit.
Posted via RS Mobile

Last edited by Gridlock; 08-20-2013 at 12:02 AM.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-19-2013, 11:32 PM   #14
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,645 Times in 446 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock View Post
Honesty time.

We had this kid move into the neighborhood that barked. We heard him come up the street every morning, and down the street every afternoon. And it was loud. Now, it was the day that I looked down and he's whacking the trees and bushes in the yard with a stick.

So I went and had a chat, or "chat" with his handler. She barely spoke english, and would just stand there and watch him.

Now...prick move? Maybe. It's not "my" street, but its disrupting a lot of people. It was NEVER the kids fault, but that of the handler(and parents that hired her).

Point is, the letter is a PRICK move. But I also get where people just lose their shit.
Posted via RS Mobile
But you suggested for the handler to perhaps intervene when necessary and deal with the child in a more appropriate manner, you didn't tell the handler do euthanize the kid......
Posted via RS Mobile
skiiipi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-19-2013, 11:50 PM   #15
First to fail !SG evar! Now i have yellow fever...

Thanked 2,431 Times in 475 Posts
I have done a lot of work/volunteering with children and adults with autism, I also have a foster child with autism.

First, individuals with developmental disabilities don't have 'handlers', they have support staff, family members, friends and volunteers who work passionately to help improve the quality of life for them.

The letter itself is brutal, but I suspect the author has his/her own mental health issues..so it doesn't really make me angry..more I feel sorry for the writer that he or she has these internal issues going on that manifested as hate towards the poor boy and his grandmother.
Redlines_Daily is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-20-2013, 12:03 AM   #16
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,284 Times in 2,504 Posts
Wouldn't this fall under some sort of hate crime laws?

People who have never spent time with people with autism have no idea what autism is, and the challenges the support network faces.
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 12:06 AM   #17
Banned By Establishment

Totally NOT in any way justifying the letter or its contents.

This woman was a handler. She did nothing but stand there and wait for hhim to finish and then move on.

I asked her to vary the route that they took to and fro. She did. Maybe the kid didn't move into the neighborhood, but kicked off of other streets. Like, I cannot emphasize enough how loud a kid barking all day can be.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 08-20-2013, 12:07 AM   #18

Thanked 31,128 Times in 7,143 Posts
Malicious people should be "euthanized" (beat to death with a baseball bat), not those with disabilities that are an inconvenience for others.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 12:10 AM   #19

Thanked 31,128 Times in 7,143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post

People who have never spent time with people with autism have no idea what autism is, and the challenges the support network faces.
The thing is, from my experience with it (friends siblings or children with it) it seems no one really has any idea what autism is. It seems like so many of the various degrees and types have no explanation or understanding about what causes it, how bad it is or isn't, or how to help those with it.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-20-2013, 09:06 AM   #20
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,307 Times in 1,775 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
The thing is, from my experience with it (friends siblings or children with it) it seems no one really has any idea what autism is. It seems like so many of the various degrees and types have no explanation or understanding about what causes it, how bad it is or isn't, or how to help those with it.
Just to add, Autism is a spectrum disability where you can range from very high functioning to being completely dependent on others.

People who are interested should also look up Asperger's syndrome which is very similar to that of highly functioning Autism.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-20-2013, 09:13 AM   #21
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,308 Times in 5,630 Posts
Heard it was an inside job by autism Canada to raise awareness
Posted via RS Mobile
Hondaracer is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-20-2013, 09:17 AM   #22
Zionism gets my shell hard and slimy

Thanked 6,021 Times in 1,129 Posts
probably a Zionist...

all srs though thats pretty fcked up!

if the contents of the letter stayed within the margins of politly asking that his volume/consistency be managed it would be understandable..

sure no one wants to put up with that if they dont have to.. but the rest of the letter is just disgusting!
snails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:19 AM   #23
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Most certainly not.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:55 AM   #24
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
sometimes anger drives people to do or say things beyond their norms.

i'm sure many can recall some hurtful words said out of anger. not defending that letter by any means but its far from what i'd classify as a crime.
Anjew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:21 AM   #25
Banned By Establishment

Meh. Freedom of speech. No actual crime here.
Posted via RS Mobile
predom is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: