REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 08-20-2013, 01:14 PM   #1
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Volunteering in China

I have a 2 month window opening up and I've always wanted to go volunteer at orphanages in China. I'm overwhelmed by the sheer amount of information when I search on this topic online, does anyone have any personal contacts or experiences that may lead to worthy organizations to spend my time with? I plan to be covering all of my own expenses.

Please PM me for personal contacts or post in this thread for links and resources. Thanks in advance.
Advertisement
MoBettah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 05:57 PM   #2
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

my experience, don't volunteer in China. You hard work and good heart will be taken advantage of by some lowlife high rank scumbag in such organizations. Reality sucks but that's how things are in China
Old 08-20-2013, 06:02 PM   #3
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,809 Times in 8,186 Posts
I agree with J generally, and it's a good idea that you're doing research beforehand. You WILL get scammed if you're not EXTREMELY cautious.

With that, sorry I can't help. Maybe try a larger resource like reddit or a big expat site.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:46 PM   #4
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Why not volunteer locally?

Cars:
02' Lexus IS300 5spd
07' BMW 323iA
05' BMW Z4 5spd
06' BMW 330i 6spd
10' Audi A4 quattro
08' BMW M3 6spd
15' Kawasaki Ninja300
08' Yamaha R6
10' Honda Ridgeline
17' Audi Q5
16' BMW X5D

bing is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-20-2013, 08:11 PM   #5

Thanked 1,584 Times in 633 Posts
if your chinese u can ask if tze-chi

its a Buddhist temple but they do a lot of charity work, not sure if they will be going to china again (they have a vancouver division as well)

but i do agree with J as i live & work in china now, its hard as they try to take advantage of u especially when your a foreigner

Quote:
Originally Posted by hk20000 View Post
I went up to a cute chick and asked her if she'd let me take a photo of her for $30 she slapped me, she said to me that "I AIN'T A WHORE!"

But other than that I have seen every car on display in DTP just by cruising about in Richmond, thank you very much for collecting them together and get someone to sing a cover for "fuck you".

OH FUCK YOU OH OH OOOOH~
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neva View Post
wtf man? what the hell kind of women do you go for? spca is for animals not dates...
ae101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 05:46 AM   #6
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,206 Times in 385 Posts
just don't claim to be a ghostbuster
sdubfid is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-21-2013, 06:32 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ae101 View Post
if your chinese u can ask if tze-chi

its a Buddhist temple but they do a lot of charity work, not sure if they will be going to china again (they have a vancouver division as well)

but i do agree with J as i live & work in china now, its hard as they try to take advantage of u especially when your a foreigner
even monks are corrupt now. Ever see a monk drive a brand new 600k RMB E-class? I have. My friend who's a reseller of luxury items ie.Hermes, LV, Gucci, etc etc. says one of his clients is a monk and spent over 2 million RMB in the last 2 years on hand bags... Monks buying handbags, not for himself obviously but for a lady mistress
Old 08-21-2013, 06:39 AM   #8
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,381 Times in 3,907 Posts
that taiwanese female buddhist group that ae101 (tzu chi) mentioned is quite famed for being honest and actually trying to help people though i wouldn't know for sure but it seems like a good place to start

Buddhist Compassion Relief Tzu Chi Foundation
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-21-2013, 06:57 AM   #9
First to fail !SG evar! Now i have yellow fever...

Thanked 2,431 Times in 475 Posts
I did some volunteering in Yunnan and it was an amazing experience. Don't be jaded by the comments in this thread, just do your research and check out some Chinese expat forums to get a better idea of where to go/what to do.
Redlines_Daily is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-22-2013, 08:29 PM   #10

Thanked 1,584 Times in 633 Posts
u wanna come to guangzhou, we just had a typhoon & there a flood it lots of place in the guang dong problem

quite a lot of ppl need help here

also tzu chi is a big organization, they do a lot of charity for & to the point where most ppl (or Buddhist) classified them as a charity organization then a religious one

Quote:
Originally Posted by hk20000 View Post
I went up to a cute chick and asked her if she'd let me take a photo of her for $30 she slapped me, she said to me that "I AIN'T A WHORE!"

But other than that I have seen every car on display in DTP just by cruising about in Richmond, thank you very much for collecting them together and get someone to sing a cover for "fuck you".

OH FUCK YOU OH OH OOOOH~
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neva View Post
wtf man? what the hell kind of women do you go for? spca is for animals not dates...
ae101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 07:15 AM   #11
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
if you know any friends who are church goers as well you can see if their church is doing any missionary trips there. i've known friends that went on missionary trips and it ranges on what's required. 1 friend went to africa this summer and i think spent his time teaching kids how to read and stuff. another went to guatamala and did labourer work like digging ditches, moving rocks, helping build a house...

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 04:54 PM   #12
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

I've got some Chinese friends who tell me the propensity to screw you over is a direct result of the Cultural Revolution, when everyone snitched on everyone else for "counter-revoltionary" activities. The end result is that mistrust is high among Chinese people. (It's also responsible, I'm told, for the chase of the almighty Remnimbi, but that's for another thread)

How true is this?
TatsuyaKataoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 06:26 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TatsuyaKataoka View Post
I've got some Chinese friends who tell me the propensity to screw you over is a direct result of the Cultural Revolution, when everyone snitched on everyone else for "counter-revoltionary" activities. The end result is that mistrust is high among Chinese people. (It's also responsible, I'm told, for the chase of the almighty Remnimbi, but that's for another thread)

How true is this?
I'd say that's somewhat accurate for some of the older people but maybe not so much for the newer generation. Also there were many chinese at the time of the communist revolution that did not support the commies.
accl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 06:43 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by accl View Post
I'd say that's somewhat accurate for some of the older people but maybe not so much for the newer generation. Also there were many chinese at the time of the communist revolution that did not support the commies.
I disagree with this. It's still very present if not more in the younger generation, they are just more clever about doing it. Unless you are an expat or foreign-raised Chinese, younger generations growing up in China will be surrounding by such ideas and environments making it a way of life for them. With more competition, higher education, and social/materialistic pressures nowadays, the whole country is run on mistrust. On the surface, you'll see an image of change as a westerner for "face", but if you are Chinese and people dealing with you can't tell that you are a foreigner, it's worse than ever. It's so sad to see but this is how China is and it'll be a long time before it ever changes. There is just too many people developing too fast to worry about morals and what others think in a society that's pretty much a free for all driven by greed and money with poverty nipping at your rear end.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:21 PM   #15

thats sad to hear. I am chinese but I'm not from the mainland. Didn't know it was still that bad
accl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:34 AM   #16
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by accl View Post
thats sad to hear. I am chinese but I'm not from the mainland. Didn't know it was still that bad
Woman who gouged eyes of Chinese boy sought - World - CBC News

tarobbt is offline   Reply With Quote