REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics

Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Silicon Valley.
Tips & tricks, tech support, home theatre, online gaming, reviews, latest news...

Old 08-23-2013, 07:47 AM   #1
I STILL don't get it

Powerful Laptop Buying Help

Hi guys!

Can anyone please provide opinions or suggestions on what laptop to get? Feel free to chime in what you think is best from other manufacturers such as Asus, Acer or Samsung...

My needs for a budget of probably $1500, though able to shell out more if needed:
1) Run 3D CAD software (Solidworks and AutoCAD)
2) Run programming IDEs (Visual C++, Programming)
3) Run math simulation software (Matlab, Maple)
4) Run Photoshop and video editing software
5) Run Office products
6) Last at least 5 hours on batteries
7) Last me 4 years
8) Doesn't look like plastic shit

My shortlist so far, but feel free to add
1) Macbook Pro 13" Non-Retina 2.9GHz i7
Pro: Looks good, long battery life, seems easy enough to use
Con: 1 year old tech, expensive for the specs

2) Lenovo IdeaPad Y510
Pro: Great specs, dedicated video card, Haswell i7 CPU, CHEAP AS SHIZZ
Con: Shitty battery life of 2 hours

3) Razer Blade
Pro: Great specs, dedicated video card, Haswell i7 CPU
Con: EXPENSIVE (but I can probably call it an "investment")

4) Alienware 14
Pro: Great specs, dedicated video card, Haswell i7 CPU, within budget
Con: HUGE and doesn't seem too portable

5) MSI GE-40/GE60
Pro: Great specs, dedicated video card, Haswell i7 CPU, Good battery life
Con: No clue about the quality of MSI laptops

Like I said, feel free to add to the list. Personally I prefer the look and power of the Razer Blade, but for $1800 128GB of space is definitely not enough. The Lenovo Y510 would be an instant buy if not for the deal breaker of a battery life.

So any opinions?

Thanks a lot, guys!
Advertisement
jello24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 07:49 AM   #2
Old School RS

Thanked 3,957 Times in 1,205 Posts
Just a plug, but I bucked up for a 2.9GHz, 8GB Retina Macbook Pro 13" and I fucking LOVE this machine. I was not stoked on spending the money on the Retina but you also get the new case, 1lb lighter, and this AMAZING screen. It's really spendy but I don't regret it for one second.

Cheers
Old 08-23-2013, 08:29 AM   #3
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,779 Times in 1,173 Posts
One questions regarding the software - do they all work on Mac?

Another thing is that the 13" Retina's i7 is dual-core, not quad-core, so it may not be as fast when running simulation software or video-editing suites.

My suggestion to add to the Windows side of things is the Samsung 7 Chronos. Great 15" laptop with a decently long battery life (7-8 hours in daily usage), SSD cache drive on hand, quad-core CPU, Radeon 8800M graphics and pretty stylish.

Samsung Series 7 i7-3635QM 15.6inch Notebook - Silver - NP780Z5E-S02C - London Drugs
fml
roastpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-23-2013, 08:52 AM   #4
hoppity HOP HOP

Thanked 1,617 Times in 522 Posts
Refurbished 15" MBP Retina. It's last year's model, so it doesn't have Haswell, but still has 7-hr battery life.

You still have the normal 1-year warranty with Apple refurbs, and you can purchase AppleCare if you wish to extend it to 3-years.

Refurbished 15.4-inch MacBook Pro 2.3GHz Quad-core Intel i7 with Retina Display - Apple Store (Canada)

Worst comes to worse, if you have to run Windows-specific programs, install Windows along with OSX.
Spectre_Cdn is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-23-2013, 09:02 AM   #5
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,045 Times in 419 Posts
Might I interest you in my laptop. It's a year old now but it probably has about 3 month use time. Used it for dual boxing here and there and that was it. Never left my house so it's still in pristine condition.

According to your preference, you will want a quad core and definitely 16gb ram or higher.

i7 quad 16gb 1.5tb 17.3in gtx 675m + accessories (GOOD DEAL!)
mr_chin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-23-2013, 09:31 AM   #6
Princess Dewey

I recommend a macbook pro, I have a mid 09 pro and I run cad, office, and photoshop with ease. I also had an m11x from Alienware and it is junk. If you do a lot of graphics work avoid Alienware products. The screen on those things are garbage; they are way too reflective, not bright enough and its like lugging around a brick everywhere you go.
[05-03, 17:18] MPTness
if her age on the clock, she's too young for a cock

[12-03, 22:33] Amuro Ray
i was wearing women's clothing in my picture

[14-04, 00:16] Amuro Ray
i have hello kitty underwear

[14-04, 00:23] Amuro Ray
i find feet sexually exciting

[29-04, 00:21] Ri2
if i was a guy i'd just ejaculate on her face all up in her nose, mark yo territory like a beast

[14-05, 23:29] Ri2
i just watched japanese girls poop on each other for like 10 mins
smarv is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-23-2013, 10:36 PM   #7
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastpuff View Post
One questions regarding the software - do they all work on Mac?

Another thing is that the 13" Retina's i7 is dual-core, not quad-core, so it may not be as fast when running simulation software or video-editing suites.

My suggestion to add to the Windows side of things is the Samsung 7 Chronos. Great 15" laptop with a decently long battery life (7-8 hours in daily usage), SSD cache drive on hand, quad-core CPU, Radeon 8800M graphics and pretty stylish.

Samsung Series 7 i7-3635QM 15.6inch Notebook - Silver - NP780Z5E-S02C - London Drugs
Thanks for that suggestion. AutoCAD works on Mac, Solidworks doesn't officially according to the Solidworks system requirements page, and even dual booting Windows it's not officially supported.

I knew I was missing the Samsungs, but the Samsung Canada site only listed the Ativ Book 9 (Series 9) which costs just as much as an Apple, so I figured I'd look at them later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectre_Cdn View Post
Refurbished 15" MBP Retina. It's last year's model, so it doesn't have Haswell, but still has 7-hr battery life.

You still have the normal 1-year warranty with Apple refurbs, and you can purchase AppleCare if you wish to extend it to 3-years.

Refurbished 15.4-inch MacBook Pro 2.3GHz Quad-core Intel i7 with Retina Display - Apple Store (Canada)

Worst comes to worse, if you have to run Windows-specific programs, install Windows along with OSX.
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarv View Post
I recommend a macbook pro, I have a mid 09 pro and I run cad, office, and photoshop with ease. I also had an m11x from Alienware and it is junk. If you do a lot of graphics work avoid Alienware products. The screen on those things are garbage; they are way too reflective, not bright enough and its like lugging around a brick everywhere you go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowside67 View Post
Just a plug, but I bucked up for a 2.9GHz, 8GB Retina Macbook Pro 13" and I fucking LOVE this machine. I was not stoked on spending the money on the Retina but you also get the new case, 1lb lighter, and this AMAZING screen. It's really spendy but I don't regret it for one second.

Cheers
Just a curious question for the MBP users. That refurbished 15" MBP has got me intrigued. How do those perform under CPU- and GPU-intensive applications such as CAD and other productivity programs?
Old 08-24-2013, 07:47 AM   #8
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 1,379 Times in 478 Posts
AutoCad for Mac is missing a lot of features just to let you know so if your getting a mac you will be doing dual booting.
lilaznviper is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-24-2013, 09:19 AM   #9
Old School RS

Thanked 3,957 Times in 1,205 Posts
I don't do CAD work, however, I am a heavy Photoshop and Lightroom user working with LARGE (100mb+ PSD files) and often several at a time - enough to choke my work PC pretty easily. My Macbook handles it well, it's not always instant when I have several open, but it never crashes or hesitates, it always just works through reasonably quickly and properly.

Mark
Old 08-24-2013, 09:43 AM   #10
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Generally speaking, AutoCAD, Inventor, SolidWorks and other related engineering software works best on Windows machines. With that being said, I'll recommend:

ASUS Zenbook UX32VD Intel i7 3517U 6GB 500GB+24GB SSD GT620M 13.3in IPS FHD Win8 Ultrabook
or
ASUS N56VJ-RH71-CA Intel I7-3630QM 8GB 750GB 15.6in FHD GT635M DVDRW BT BANG&OLUFSEN Win8 Notebook

both similar in specs

For the zenbook, you might wanna upgrade the ram to at least 8GB
jjson is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-24-2013, 11:48 AM   #11
HELP ME PLS!!!

ThinkPad W530 Portable Workstation | Lenovo (CA)

To get a better rendering experience through CAD or digital art creation like 3dMAX or Maya, you'll need a workstation class graphics card. Those fall into ATI FireGLs or Nvidia Quadros. Normal video cards like a Nvidia geforce or ATI HD won't give you any extra processing power when it comes to rendering 3D objects.

The laptop linked also has a LCD upgrade with a colour calibration to get better colour accuracy when you're doing photoshop and it has a 1080p screen.

I don't know about batter life. [edit] upon further research, laptopmag clains that is has around 6 hour battery life.[/edit] I would assume that's not using the graphics card, but with light use only, where the graphics card is turned off using, what i would guess, optimus.

http://www.laptopmag.com/review/lapt...kpad-w530.aspx

Lenovo ThinkPads have legendary keyboards that are a delight to type on and are all black with a magnesium chassis.

Programming in an IDE is pretty light for the most part, most programs that let you code should run instantly, except MS.net....

Matlab is a monster of a program to launch. Get an SSD and you should be a big difference. Not only in Matlab but starting up all of your programs.

I find that the more RAM you have, the faster Photoshop does its tasks. Especially for big files.

I am a ThinkPad fanboy.

Last edited by DragonChi; 08-24-2013 at 02:05 PM.
DragonChi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-24-2013, 01:42 PM   #12
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
MacBook pro will be out of your budget even a reb one. I would try looking at Lenovo and Asus.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-24-2013, 09:15 PM   #13
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
MacBook pro will be out of your budget even a reb one. I would try looking at Lenovo and Asus.
Well I did say I can shell out more if that's what's called for. Though at this stage it really should have been $2K for what my needs are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonChi View Post
ThinkPad W530 Portable Workstation | Lenovo (CA)

To get a better rendering experience through CAD or digital art creation like 3dMAX or Maya, you'll need a workstation class graphics card. Those fall into ATI FireGLs or Nvidia Quadros. Normal video cards like a Nvidia geforce or ATI HD won't give you any extra processing power when it comes to rendering 3D objects.

The laptop linked also has a LCD upgrade with a colour calibration to get better colour accuracy when you're doing photoshop and it has a 1080p screen.

I don't know about batter life. [edit] upon further research, laptopmag clains that is has around 6 hour battery life.[/edit] I would assume that's not using the graphics card, but with light use only, where the graphics card is turned off using, what i would guess, optimus.

Lenovo ThinkPad W530 Review | Workstation Reviews

Lenovo ThinkPads have legendary keyboards that are a delight to type on and are all black with a magnesium chassis.

Programming in an IDE is pretty light for the most part, most programs that let you code should run instantly, except MS.net....

Matlab is a monster of a program to launch. Get an SSD and you should be a big difference. Not only in Matlab but starting up all of your programs.

I find that the more RAM you have, the faster Photoshop does its tasks. Especially for big files.

I am a ThinkPad fanboy.
There we go! Bingo! Thanks for this one! Just exactly what I was looking for!! a workstation laptop! For some reason I forgot the word "workstation."