REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 08-25-2013, 09:49 AM   #101
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gululu View Post
The guy's name is Frank Zhao. currently a graduate political sci student at ubc... went to churchill for high school. the guys is gonna be a politician/activist for god sake.
Sounds like he's well on his way.
Advertisement
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-25-2013, 10:11 AM   #102
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

What if she ordered a pop there? and she was pissed off that she had to fill the drink up herself?

but IMO, the two women should lay off the McDs. The guy on the other hand, should eat there for a month straight.
bartone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:30 AM   #103

Maybe You Get Bad Customer Service Because You're a Bad Customer | Matt Walsh
Quote:
Old 08-25-2013, 10:36 AM   #104
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,231 Times in 2,482 Posts
Quote:
The guy's name is Frank Zhao. currently a graduate political sci student at ubc... went to churchill for high school. the guys is gonna be a politician/activist for god sake.
Well... he is certainly starting off on the right foot. I hope his support of this baseless complain will be remembered for the rest of his political life.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 11:06 AM   #105
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,497 Times in 4,892 Posts
Wow, I hope he's not the one who suggested to mommy dearest to go full on retard. Pulling the Charter of Rights card...... you know what they say, "A little bit of knowledge can be a scary thing."
Posted via RS Mobile
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-25-2013, 11:10 AM   #106
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,231 Times in 2,482 Posts
^^ My guess is, that's exactly what happened.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 11:47 AM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOW View Post
you know what i realized about the pic?

mom & daughter are smart wearing sunglasses...the guy's gotta face everyone now that people can and will recognize him...noob

C-lais are MORE recognizable in sunglasses...
Quote:
Old 08-25-2013, 12:08 PM   #108
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Picture menu = problem solved. Even a mute can order with one of those around.
r4square is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 01:31 PM   #109
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,782 Times in 2,491 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roach View Post
Kudos to McDonald's Canada for not backing down. So often, organizations will change their stance on an issue in light of a public outcry. Glad this wasn't the case here. Their official statement:

Huffington Post article on the respone.

Kev

Quote:

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 02:56 PM   #110

So shes been in country for 10 years, cant produce enough English to order at McDonalds, and then demands "respect". Maybe she should respect the country that let her immigrate and go learn one of the official languages that are offered for free to immigrants. Fucking lower mainland just keeps getting worse.
Old 08-25-2013, 03:15 PM   #111
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Is this him?

Frank Yi Fang Zhao - Canada | LinkedIn
VancouverG88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 03:24 PM   #112
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

maybe he should read the charter?
coolname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 04:46 PM   #113
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,123 Posts
Quote:
Not all political science students become activists/politicians. Some just post on forums like Revscene for amusement and to provide a dose of reality.

- Signed a proud UBC Political Science alumni.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 04:55 PM   #114
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,782 Times in 2,491 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbaz View Post
Maybe she should respect the country that let her immigrate and go learn one of the official languages that are offered for free to immigrants. Fucking lower mainland just keeps getting worse.
where/since when is it free? my mom has been taking engrish courses at places like VCC for years paying out of her own pocket.

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 05:24 PM   #115
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,776 Times in 8,170 Posts
Quote:
Guarantee the is his idea 100%. This absolutely sounds like something an grad student would do, now that they are an 'expert' on their field of study.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 05:25 PM   #116

Local libraries run free esl programs, there are also free groups on meet up with ESL certified teachers.etc etc
Old 08-25-2013, 05:31 PM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbaz View Post
Local libraries run free esl programs, there are also free groups on meet up with ESL certified teachers.etc etc
There are also language exchange ads. People wanting to learn Chinese will be happy to trade their English by doing meet ups and conversing in either language. Warning: a lot of scumbags try to use this as a dating service.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-25-2013, 05:36 PM   #118
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Of course its wrong of the manager to do this but then again I'm pretty sure that McDonalds was right when she took it as an offence and misunderstood.
BaoTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 05:50 PM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaoTurbo View Post
Of course its wrong of the manager to do this but then again I'm pretty sure that McDonalds was right when she took it as an offence and misunderstood.
You can't say that the manager was wrong without knowing what happened. Most likely she was causing a scene and disturbing other patrons, which is when he asked her to leave. I can't say for sure either, but I wouldn't assume that she was peacefully trying to simply order a cold drink.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-25-2013, 05:54 PM   #120
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,098 Times in 4,998 Posts
The shortest common sense argument against their case is to look where this frickin McDonald's is located... I mean... half of their customers every single day probably don't speak English or at least have a very poor command of the language... and they just decided to single this lady out? Something's not right.
68style is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:24 PM   #121
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
I used to be a warehouse supervisor at a major retail store in Langley for a number of years. Occasionally I'd accidentally go out to the sales floor and help customers. There were a few times when I'd come across someone who's English wasn't very fluent, as many of our customers were EI's or Koreans. Despite the verbal communication barrier, we would still try to make each other understand what we were saying, whether it was through drawings or hand gestures. It'd get frustrating, as I'm sure they would occasionally feel the same way, but none of us would ever get outright angry and one another. A couple of customers were actually very pleased that I would take that extra time to figure out wtf they were trying to say, and they also said they felt embarrassed that they still didn't have a good enough grasp of the English language to properly get by without another family member with them. None of these customers felt that it was their right to demand someone in the store that spoke their language, as I know they all knew that they were in an English speaking country and were trying their best to get by.

As an aside, back when I was new, I was helping a couple with something. Being new, my knowledge wasn't the greatest and I had to ask for help from one of my coworkers. They started making insulting comments about me while speaking in French, obviously assuming I didn't speak it. Unfortunately for them, this was a time when I could still call myself fluently bilingual and understood every single word they were saying. So, I turned back around, spoke a few words in response (in French, of course) and smiled as they rushed out the door. Thankfully they never went to my manager as I may or may not have said a few things that would have gotten me fired ( ) but the look on their faces were priceless and I had never seen someone leave a store so quickly in my life. lol. I'm not sure how that fits into this topic, but for some reason it reminded me of that incident.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-25-2013, 07:35 PM   #122
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
You can't say that the manager was wrong without knowing what happened. Most likely she was causing a scene and disturbing other patrons, which is when he asked her to leave. I can't say for sure either, but I wouldn't assume that she was peacefully trying to simply order a cold drink.
Exactly, I would kick her ass to the curb too as would any other restaurant. Keeping your other patrons happy is more important than a selfish lady who sees that the world revolves around herself.

I'm sure if she asked nicely they would have given her a hot chocolate and apologized. I used to work in retail and I would always substitute a different product to nice people if we were sold out of something.
tarobbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:41 PM   #123
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,352 Times in 445 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
The shortest common sense argument against their case is to look where this frickin McDonald's is located... I mean... half of their customers every single day probably don't speak English or at least have a very poor command of the language... and they just decided to single this lady out? Something's not right.
I think that's why this happened in Richmond. I couldn't see this happening at a place like Langley, or even Vancouver. I'm not Chinese, but I bet a Chinese person living in Richmond can live their whole life there without the need for English. She probably got so accustomed to this she felt the extra sense of entitlement.
Posted via RS Mobile
vafanculo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:15 PM   #124
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,584 Times in 633 Posts
i dont get this, my friend works at that McD & he been working for about a good 7 years or so

hes chinese & so are some of the co-workers that work there that i know, every time someone struggles with ordering in english there would always been a chinese worker to help

this looks like a fuck cheap way to get some money by playing the blood race card

Quote:
Originally Posted by hk20000 View Post
I went up to a cute chick and asked her if she'd let me take a photo of her for $30 she slapped me, she said to me that "I AIN'T A WHORE!"

But other than that I have seen every car on display in DTP just by cruising about in Richmond, thank you very much for collecting them together and get someone to sing a cover for "fuck you".

OH FUCK YOU OH OH OOOOH~
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neva View Post
wtf man? what the hell kind of women do you go for? spca is for animals not dates...
ae101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:19 PM   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by ae101 View Post
i dont get this, my friend works at that McD & he been working for about a good 7 years or so

hes chinese & so are some of the co-workers that work there that i know, every time someone struggles with ordering in english there would always been a chinese worker to help

this looks like a fuck cheap way to get some money by playing the blood race card
I was thinking there would probably be a few people there who speak cantonese, but I doubt she is from Hong Kong or is a local from Guangdong