REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Language problem at McDonalds becomes a Charter of Rights and Freedoms issue (https://www.revscene.net/forums/687561-language-problem-mcdonalds-becomes-charter-rights-freedoms-issue.html)

El Bastardo 08-23-2013 01:14 PM

Language problem at McDonalds becomes a Charter of Rights and Freedoms issue

http://www.theprovince.com/news/cms/binary/8822444.jpg

Quote:

A Richmond woman who claims she was refused service because of her poor English is demanding two apologies from McDonald’s.

Hai Xia Sun says she ran into trouble Aug. 15 when the drink she was given was not what she ordered, and when she complained McDonald’s refused to serve her.

Zhao said his mother wants personal apologies from the manager and owner of the store at the corner of No. 3 Road and Granville, as well as general apologies to Canadians for their behaviour.

“The manager and the franchise owner have to apologize to my mother, and have to apologize to the Canadian people,” said Zhao. “This is not just about us, this is not just about Chinese Canadians. This is about how will Canada look on the world stage.

“This is about our Canadian image.”

Zhao, who was not with his mother at the time of the dispute, suggested McDonald’s hire Mandarin speakers to help out with Richmond’s population, in the same way Spanish speakers are recruited in California.

Sun said she has lived in Canada for 10 years, and speaks English at work, although it’s not her first language.
tl;dr: Woman lives in Canada for a decade, doesn't have the English necessary to properly order or communicate to a minimum wage worker at McDonalds, freaks out and now this is a human rights issue somehow. Also wants Mcdonalds to hire workers not based on their ability to do the work, but their ability to speak her language

'This is about our Canadian image': Richmond woman demands apology after fast food worker criticizes her English, asks her to leave

bcedhk 08-23-2013 01:18 PM

what does that sign on the left say? Respect? :badpokerface:

murd0c 08-23-2013 01:20 PM

I would really like to see what would happen if this went down in Australia!!

StylinRed 08-23-2013 01:20 PM

that mcdonalds is filled with chinese employees last i can remember
and never had a problem in mcdonalds in foreign countries even if they didnt speak a lick of english nor i theirs

wonder what really happened (since theres always 2 sides)

and making mountains out of mole hills is a chinese specialty

Hondaracer 08-23-2013 01:24 PM

Jesus Christ what makes the news these days
Posted via RS Mobile

lowside67 08-23-2013 01:25 PM

Arrrgh this shit pisses me off so fucking much. I am the first to support somebody's right to speak mandarin or any other language that they choose but that does not fucking equate to them being guaranteed the ability to conduct their entire life in that language. I hope this gets squashed ASAP, my tax dollars are paying to fight this nonsense.

Mark

bcedhk 08-23-2013 01:35 PM

+ the whole family looks like the whinny/complainer type.

She was probably bitching at the staff for the wrong order + long wait and then started spazzing in chinese.

Iceman-19 08-23-2013 01:37 PM

If they want to go to a McDicks that speaks their language, why don't they fly the fuck home and order from there. Stay there too. Canada is too fucking giving. Any other country would tell you to fly the fuck off. Canada? "OH SO SORRY WE ARE FULL OF APOLOGIZES WE WILL CHANGE TO ACCOMMODATE YOU!"

MindBomber 08-23-2013 01:43 PM

I do not follow. Though Sun speaks English while at work and has spent a decade in Canada, she's not able to correctly order a basic drink? I'm shocked that mere through mere immersion she's gleaned so little English. The primary issue is not this point, so I digress.

McDonald's attempted to serve Sun and did not have success as the language barrier was too pronounced. In acknowledging that insurmountable barrier, McDonald's resigning the impossibility of serving Sun seems the only practical option. I do not understand this to be discrimination. I was similarly unsuccessful at speaking to a Punjabi speaking security guard recently, should I apologize to him?

b0unce. [?] 08-23-2013 01:45 PM

Womp Womp learn English
Posted via RS Mobile

GLOW 08-23-2013 01:51 PM

Quote:

Sun said she has lived in Canada for 10 years, and speaks English at work, although it’s not her first language.
:suspicious: speaks english at work...but can't speak enough engrish to point at what mcd's meal she wants (or hold up the # with her FUCKING FINGERS) :Orly:

i love how she couldn't order at mcd's...but back when i used to work as a cashier when i was younger, a regular customer was mute...and i can't read sign...this dude bought all sorts of shit from me...cigs, lotto, scratch 'n wins, slurpees...really...it's not that hard to communicate a mcd's order is it?...:facepalm:

almost forgot...her response to the situation
http://i.imgur.com/ahSxB.gif

murd0c 08-23-2013 01:55 PM

Quote:

The thing that really bothers me about this comment its like she's doing us a favour speaking english at work when its not her first language. When you come to a different country you have to adapt and not expect other people to adapt for you.

Gridlock 08-23-2013 02:03 PM

Sure thing!

Just as soon as all those pesky signs in Richmond have english on 'em.

Gumby 08-23-2013 02:04 PM

I am absolutely shocked to see that this happened in Richmond of all places.

carisear 08-23-2013 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MindBomber (Post 8306268)
I was similarly unsuccessful at speaking to a Punjabi speaking security guard recently, should I apologize to him?

No, you should apologize to him, his family, and all Canadians you disrespectful bastard. How dare you not know Punjabi??

EmperorIS 08-23-2013 02:13 PM

Oh get the fuck out of here fobs

hiring mandarin speakers to cater to ur shitty needs

fucking tell ur kids to pencil in on a note what u want and show it to the cashier.

Fucking my 80 year old grandma can order mcdonalds, she just puts up the amount of fingers corresponding to the meal number

Gridlock 08-23-2013 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EmperorIS (Post 8306289)
Fucking my 80 year old grandma

On RS, commas are so cheap, they are almost free.

You should use them :)

FerrariEnzo 08-23-2013 02:26 PM

Not sure if its changed or not.. but Im sure English/French was the Nations Languages.. Sure Canada is multicultural, but that doesnt mean it must hire chinese speaking employess to cater to them...
I mean the lady lived here 10 years and cant even say Hot Chocolate and then makes a request that the company hires chinese speaking employees.. ridiculous..

But before we go further into accusing the lady, I think if there was a live interview she took and we were able to hear her english level, then can start bashing here again..

Another gripe I have.. Driver Licensing.. HAVE IT ONLY IN ENGLISH/FRENCH... if these people want to have their drivers license, they MUST beable to read the damn SIGNS!!! FFS

mr_chin 08-23-2013 02:29 PM

mcd customer service are pretty bad. some are intentional assholes, some just don't have the skill to multitask and/or memorize.

Lomac 08-23-2013 02:30 PM

Good thing she doesn't live in Quebec. :lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hondaracer (Post 8306257)
Jesus Christ what makes the news these days
Posted via RS Mobile

I agree. I'm sure she would have had just as much success calling up McDonalds HQ (or, hell, simply driving to the Burnaby location) and submitting a formal complaint. There are way too many "Look at me!" people making a huge deal about something that is ultimately a minor incident, and the news media reporting on these events simply encourages others to follow suit.

Sid Vicious 08-23-2013 02:32 PM

man whata whiny bitch...its fucking mcdonalds

its dope how 99% of rs is asian (myself included) and we're all universal in the hatred of this frivolous bullshit

MeowMeow 08-23-2013 02:35 PM

Shit like this pisses me off.
When I went on vacay to Mexico and Cuba, i tried my best to learn Spanish.
Yes I know ppl at the resort speak pretty fluent English. But it's their country and my friends and I should respect their culture.
So I tried my best to speak super broken shitty Spanish. Always said please and thank you.
And this was when I was there for 7 days. I don't understand why it's so effing hard for ppl who lived here for a decade to fuck shit up like that.
My waitress one day gave me coffee with cream when I told her black coffee in Spanish. I could tell from her face she didn't really understand me but what was I supposed to do her English wasn't so good. So is it her fault that she couldn't understand my shitty Spanish when I'm in her country where English isn't their official language? No. I sucked it up said thank you and took the coffee anyways.

So suck it up. She made herself look like an idiot imo.

ree666 08-23-2013 02:35 PM

she probably ordered a diet cock.

Not really racist! 08-23-2013 02:44 PM

LOL.....my buddy is the restaurant manager there hahahaha
Posted via RS Mobile

elwell 08-23-2013 03:13 PM

if i was your buddy, i'd tell her to fuck off and go eat at yaohan