REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 08-27-2013, 09:59 PM   #51
I Wanna Go Fast!

Thanked 2,390 Times in 586 Posts
162 on the S2S? They were just cruising
Posted via RS Mobile
Advertisement
JDął is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-27-2013, 10:39 PM   #52
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,433 Times in 5,107 Posts
You guys are over-reacting... I've been on many group rides on S2S where we maintained constant speeds of 130-140km/h and nobody was being stupid or being dangerous or out of control or going above their abilities in any way whatsoever and most of those guys are well into their 40's (or even older!) with families and stuff so they're not your prototypical squid. It's very much relevant on a bike. I'm not saying it's "right" by the letter of the law, but some of you guys are acting like overbearing parents, which is fine I guess but don't judge unless you've been there yourself.

I'm certainly no daredevil myself and I could steer through most of the corners on that highway without my hands on the bars at those speeds on a 10+ year old 600cc sportbike... it's really not some life risking crazy thing like you're making it out to be.
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-27-2013, 11:07 PM   #53
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
All fun and games until something unexpected happens and somebody ends up dead. Then people make threads to say RIP and how wonderful people they were.
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-27-2013, 11:21 PM   #54
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,433 Times in 5,107 Posts
^
That can happen to anyone... doing pretty much anything............................ there's risk involved in every single thing you do in your life every single day. How much? How little? It's still risk... so basically that statement is a cop-out. Every single person speeds every single time they drive no matter what they say whether it's by 1kmh or 20km/h or worse, that person has consciously accepted the risk that they may get ticketed... and yes, even accepted the risk that maybe something will happen and they'll die. That's life man, can't live in a bubble being afraid of what "might" happen all the time, you just have to make sure you don't take someone else with you if you're doing something socially unacceptable because that's not fair to the person who didn't accept that risk.
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-28-2013, 09:42 AM   #55
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91civicZC View Post
Yup.
You've ridden / been around shitty cruisers your whole life yet you are commenting on sportbikes and sportbike riders? GTFO
JaPoola is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-28-2013, 12:10 PM   #56
My homepage has been set to RS

The stuff that makes news these days..lol. 140 on S2S is pretty much crusing speeds for a bike that can outperform 99% of cars on the streets (given the right rider). Also I really dont see whats the big deal. For those that claim that they are endangering others, when do you ever see them take out anyone but themselves? No idea why everyone gets their panties in a wad over this.
Ducdesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-28-2013, 12:25 PM   #57
Zionism gets my shell hard and slimy

Thanked 6,021 Times in 1,129 Posts
^ i agree with you guys in the sense that its not the most outlandish thing ever and i have also driven the s2s in my car around this speeds with nothing dramatic in the way of losing control let alone even hearing a tire squeal

but

i think the reason media blows it out of proportion is to scare people from doing it, regardless if our cars can handle it or not, how a car loses control at high speeds vs low speeds are completely different and the edge of a cliff and a rock wall are both bad places to end up in a wreck.

last years bust on those 240's cruising the s2s scared me from cruising at those speeds this year going up to whistler... i like my car and i dont want it impounded, i know at those speeds my car handles those corners just fine... but still, not worth it
snails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 12:29 PM   #58
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsallaboutgz View Post
The stuff that makes news these days..lol. 140 on S2S is pretty much crusing speeds for a bike that can outperform 99% of cars on the streets (given the right rider). Also I really dont see whats the big deal. For those that claim that they are endangering others, when do you ever see them take out anyone but themselves? No idea why everyone gets their panties in a wad over this.
Vancouver and BC in general is a very anti-car city / province, but even more anti-motorcycle. Probably because the cagers get all butthurt in the summer ( when most motorcyclists ride ) when I go right by in traffic while they're stuck in the scorching heat. Or maybe because when riding season come, they have to be double cautious when texting and driving, else they might kill a motorcyclist, and that would be a huge headache. Either way, the motorcyclist hate is strong in this city for sure.
JaPoola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 12:50 PM   #59

Thanked 1,185 Times in 304 Posts
American version of the S2S....

A car can be only 2 out of the 3.
xpl0sive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:13 PM   #60
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

I'm really curious whether the Ducati was Jeffield Mak's Ducati, the guy shows it off everywhere he goes
NeoKaze92 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-28-2013, 04:34 PM   #61
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
The stuff that makes news these days..lol. 140 on S2S is pretty much crusing speeds for a bike that can outperform 99% of cars on the streets (given the right rider).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-28-2013, 06:33 PM   #62
RS Veteran

Thanked 1,265 Times in 618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
I am glad I was not the only one that thought that after I read it..... public streets are unpredictable, it isn't a race track. I don't care how good of a rider you are, you cannot predict an animal, pedestrian, a rock, or another vehicle. At such high speeds, I am pretty sure you won't be able to safely avoid sudden obstacles.

Last edited by Spidey; 08-28-2013 at 06:38 PM.
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:17 PM   #63

Before the 40k over rules I remember riding the S2S on my bike in the +150's. And that was taking it pretty easy. It's not even a twisty highway, they are all very long open slow curves. Not tight. But these days I'm pretty lame and drive the limit everywhere mostly

If this is still in my sig, it's still avail.
falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:43 PM   #64

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
Quote:
my bad Larry Chu...140kph no problem.

If you don't think bike accidents can cause serious harm to other parties...do you wanna volunteer yourself to be in the head-on car when a bike collides into you @ double the speed limit to validate your claim? 140+ 80 impact...I'll even let you do the math.
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:27 PM   #65
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
my bad Larry Chu...140kph no problem.

If you don't think bike accidents can cause serious harm to other parties...do you wanna volunteer yourself to be in the head-on car when a bike collides into you @ double the speed limit to validate your claim? 140+ 80 impact...I'll even let you do the math.
I will pay to see this.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:09 PM   #66
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpl0sive View Post
American version of the S2S....
that lady that had the bikes crash into her was a bitch "i was scared because i could of been injured" that is your main concern not the dead bikers next to your car
coolname is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-01-2013, 07:19 AM   #67
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Umm.. SUVs regularly drive north of 120KPH through S2S....

I cruise down there from time to time. Even a mediocre rider can definitely take those turns at 140.

While I'm not encouraging it, but come on, when do you drive AT 80 on S2S with no traffic? e-Saints here got to be a little more realistic and not over-exaggerate the severity of the speed. When you put it in proper context of the road conditions and the average driving speeds in those conditions, it's not as "extreme" as people make 162kph sound like.

It's like driving 80 on a 50 zone. Not that it's legal, but we've all done it.
Old 09-01-2013, 10:57 AM   #68
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdk1 View Post

I cruise down there from time to time. Even a mediocre rider can definitely take those turns at 140.

While I'm not encouraging it, but come on, when do you drive AT 80 on S2S with no traffic? e-Saints here got to be a little more realistic and not over-exaggerate the severity of the speed. When you put it in proper context of the road conditions and the average driving speeds in those conditions, it's not as "extreme" as people make 162kph sound like.

Have we all done it? Yes. Would all of us on here own up to it if we were caught? By the replies on here, no.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-01-2013, 01:19 PM   #69
Zionism gets my shell hard and slimy

Thanked 6,021 Times in 1,129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey View Post
Have we all done it? Yes. Would all of us on here own up to it if we were caught? By the replies on here, no.

lol i kinda did..
snails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 01:25 PM   #70

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
Quote:

I'm not saying going over the speed limit is unreasonable
I'm saying doing 160 in the dark is extreme compared to the 220kph+ daredevil videos...but it is senseless regardless.
so you should learn to put it into context yourself...my statement was towards this case specifically don't generalize it.
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 04:29 PM   #71
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,574 Times in 1,718 Posts
At some people posting that you can't outrun the police.

I know a few guys out there that really don't care, they ride with hot plates, or with flippers, and don't stop if attempted to be pulled over (a lot of these guys have suspended licences in fact)

Can they get away? Sometimes yes.. Do they get caught? Some eventually, some not.

BTW, I am not avocating any of this, just FYI.
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 07:49 PM   #72
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,295 Times in 2,509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
At some people posting that you can't outrun the police.
In general, do you think it is more likely to successfully outrun the police (and not get caught afterwards)? or is it more likely to be caught?
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 07:40 AM   #73
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
In general, do you think it is more likely to successfully outrun the police (and not get caught afterwards)? or is it more likely to be caught?
Are you kidding me? You guys watch way too much TV.

Its much more likely to get away. Just drive like a maniac and they will lose you or call off the chase. Helicopters and heavy reinforcements don't get called in for speeding tickets.

I would venture to guess more chases end in crashes than anything else. So if you can avoid crashing, you will probably get away.

If you notice something about almost all of the chases on COPS and RealTV and so on - the people are being pursued for different reasons (armed robbery, kidnapping, outstanding felony warrants, shooting an officer) so they are throwing everything at them.

Also lol@ 160km/h being fast for a sportbike. They must have been taking the next exit.

Its impossible to go the speed limit on a sportbike on a nice highway like the s2s - and if you do, you shouldn't own one. Hence the reason I stopped riding sportbikes.

Its like owning a bunch of piranhas and feeding them lettuce.
Hurricane is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-06-2013, 09:44 AM   #74
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
I'm not saying going over the speed limit is unreasonable
I'm saying doing 160 in the dark is extreme compared to the 220kph+ daredevil videos...but it is senseless regardless.
so you should learn to put it into context yourself...my statement was towards this case specifically don't generalize it.
And this is where your context is inaccurate. The context is 162 in near dark, on the sea to sky highway, with no traffic, on sportbikes that can go up to 120kph on first gear.

You're either an inexperienced driver, or an e-saint, because you seriously lack the understanding of the mechanics of a sports bike, and the ability to contextualize a near empty highway with high speed turns.

Please learn to analyze before calling people out incorrectly. If cars can go 200+ on the highway without a problem, bikes can and. Therefore, 162kph is not an "extreme" speed in that situation. Nor is a bike going 162 extreme by any means because it'd probably still be using its 2nd /3rd gear.

Just hoping you'd understand.
Posted via RS Mobile
Rdk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-06-2013, 11:21 AM   #75

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
And this is where your context is inaccurate. The context is 162 in near dark, on the sea to sky highway, with no traffic, on sportbikes that can go up to 120kph on first gear.

You're either an inexperienced driver, or an e-saint, because you seriously lack the understanding of the mechanics of a sports bike, and the ability to contextualize a near empty highway with high speed turns.

Please learn to analyze before calling people out incorrectly. If cars can go 200+ on the highway without a problem, bikes can and. Therefore, 162kph is not an "extreme" speed in that situation. Nor is a bike going 162 extreme by any means because it'd probably still be using its 2nd /3rd gear.

Just hoping you'd understand.
Posted via RS Mobile
Analyze these, and keep in mind that, being a very twisty highway, the S2S has plenty of blind curves that give you little warning of objects in the road even AT the speed limit, let alone twice the limit with poor light:

Notice Mr. Bigshot Rider screaming like a little bitch here after a deer runs in front of him too fast for him to even react, sending him ass-over-teakettle... and he's not even going that fast!:

Note: when you come around the corner at double the speed limit, and a 900lb. animal suddenly appears in front of you, what gear you're in will be completely irrelevant to your survival.

Please learn about physics before calling people out incorrectly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"

Last edited by Soundy; 09-06-2013 at 11:27 AM.
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote