REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 09-06-2013, 10:55 AM   #51
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,295 Times in 2,509 Posts
^^ Good points above, especially regarding how Asian parents have this single-minded focus on how the only way for their kids to be successful is to go through university and become a "professional". Not everyone is interested in becoming doctors, lawyers, accountants, etc., nor is everyone capable of doing so. In the end, this single-minded focus from Asian parents is only leading to a over abundance of people trained to perform your typical white collar / clerical type of work and absolutely nothing else. And then when they can only find that $12 - $15/hr type of white collar / clerical job, they consider themselves over-qualified and don't really pay much attention nor interest in properly doing their job.

On your side note, I'd have to disagree that university degree is a prerequisite to landing yourself a computer science type of job. It is certainly one of the easiest ways to do so, and the formal training you get as a result of your CS degree goes hand-in-hand with the work CS professionals do, but I wouldn't say it is the only way. From what I can tell, proven track record is what employers are looking for. If you have the project experience, you can convince them to hire you. Professional certification (and I am not talking about the A+ stuff) will also get you to places.
Advertisement
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 11:16 AM   #52
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur View Post
The bigger problem is student attending Uni to major in "English" or "Business" or "PoliSci" on student loan only to walk out and work as a teller for 12$/hr because they just assumed someone would hire them. We have several generation of 25 year olds with $50k of debt. Not the best start in life.

Society puts too much pressure on "going to university" and you are looked down upon if you do something different. For 80% of people its bullshit.

Just watched the news last night. All 19 graduates from the welding program at BCIT have been offered $100K/year with 54 more spots to fill.
Yup. I'm headed back to school to do my Heavy Duty Mechanics and C-ticket for welding. As cushy it would be to have a desk job, I just can't do it. I did it at my last job and I hated it. I'd rather get my hands dirty and physically see the work I've accomplished, instead of just spending the day typing into a computer and emailing all my reports at the end of the day.

Dual ticket holders in the interior can make some serious coin, even without having to go up North to the oil fields. Guess no one wants to work in the snow up here.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 11:23 AM   #53
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
On your side note, I'd have to disagree that university degree is a prerequisite to landing yourself a computer science type of job. It is certainly one of the easiest ways to do so, and the formal training you get as a result of your CS degree goes hand-in-hand with the work CS professionals do, but I wouldn't say it is the only way. From what I can tell, proven track record is what employers are looking for. If you have the project experience, you can convince them to hire you. Professional certification (and I am not talking about the A+ stuff) will also get you to places.
I agree and disagree. A degree, when combined with personal projects and connections, shows employers you are able to finish something and work with others. It shows you have an basic understanding of the fundamentals of computer science: OO design principles, algorithms, data structures and design patterns. A fresh faced 23 year old just out of SFU isn't exactly going to have project experience. If anything, a degree makes it easier to get your foot in the door and get past employers' screening and interviews, though GPA is less of a concern (unless you're applying for co op or an internship).

Also, I'm lazy af and if I tried to teach myself, I'd go nowhere. Some people need deadlines and professors up their asses to get motivated.

There's a big anti college backlash, which is good, but sometimes it swings too far in the other direction.
TatsuyaKataoka is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-06-2013, 11:31 AM   #54
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TatsuyaKataoka View Post

As an end note: CS graduates from UBC and SFU are making $60K/year out of school. They can make even more if they start a business on the side or move to the US. Programming can be considered a trade, a skill that anyone can learn (and I highly recommend everyone try programming!), but a university degree is a prerequisite for these kind of jobs
You are wearing rose-coloured glasses, my friend.

And, although I do agree and believe that higher learning equips people with critical thinking and helps with exposure to a more "worldly" view, these qualities do not pay to bills.
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 11:33 AM   #55
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by TatsuyaKataoka View Post

Also, I'm lazy af and if I tried to teach myself, I'd go nowhere. Some people need deadlines and professors up their asses to get motivated.

I would probably leave this off you C.V.
Old 09-06-2013, 11:49 AM   #56
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Quote:
You are wearing rose-coloured glasses, my friend.

And, although I do agree and believe that higher learning equips people with critical thinking and helps with exposure to a more "worldly" view, these qualities do not pay to bills.
Yeah, maybe I am a wide eyed enthusiast, but it doesn't matter. I'm at peace with the decisions I've made.
TatsuyaKataoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 12:45 AM   #57
Marcosexual Fan Club, CEO

I think it is rather dishonest for them to state that they are targeting students from Vietnam, Brazil and Turkey, when we all know that 85% of students will be coming from Mainland China. That must be why the ad is in Chinese. I don't know that many students from those 3 countries that can afford the tuition.
Old 09-09-2013, 12:46 AM   #58

Seriously, I'm rather pissed that UBC is diluting the value of my degree with substandard applicants.
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-09-2013, 10:03 AM   #59
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco911 View Post
Seriously, I'm rather pissed that UBC is diluting the value of my degree with substandard applicants.
Chants about underage rape are doing a pretty good job of that. I wouldn't worry too much about 30 or 40 more chinese kids.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:55 AM   #60
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Substandard? All the requirements to get into UBC Vantage are the exact same as getting into a standard UBC program. The only thing that's different is that instead of wasting a year or two (re)learning English, it incorporates ESL teachings into the existing program. The rest of the program is the exact same as the one taught to native English speakers.

If you want to get angry at UBC for letting in substandard students, bitch to the government about doing away with the standardized grade 12 provincial exams and high schools not allowing students to fail a course, even if they don't do a single piece of work.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-09-2013, 02:07 PM   #61
Banned By Establishment

This "diluting" theory is bullshit.

It is no different than a transfer student from Douglas/Kwantlen/Capilano, etc.

This is just a way for UBC to capitalize from international students who can't speak English but want their fucking money. Just because you can not speak a language fluently it doesn't mean you are dumb.

This is going to stop all the frustrations of all 100-level professors who have a kids fresh off the plane from China submitting a papers full of syntax errors. Do you fail the kid because he doesn't know the difference between "there" and "their", or does the kid pass because he understands the content?

And fuck all y'all that think your UBC degree is your ticket to life above the rest. For all we know you skimmed by with a 2.0 GPA and barely graduated. Just because your piece of paper says "UBC", it doesn't mean you were gifted with brains. I can name a handful of people who received their degree from UBC and literally have shit for brains.
Old 09-09-2013, 02:14 PM   #62
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,910 Times in 606 Posts
Quote:
too bad no one gives a fuck about your degree. anyone with half a brain and a coupla g's can get a degree fairly easily from ubc or wherever.

stem degrees are perhaps a bit more difficult
Sid Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 06:35 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock View Post
Chants about underage rape are doing a pretty good job of that. I wouldn't worry too much about 30 or 40 more chinese kids.
I'm referring to the fact that Vantage students can't pass the basic language qualification. And Vantage college enrolment sounds like more than 30 or 40 individuals.
Old 09-09-2013, 06:38 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
Substandard? All the requirements to get into UBC Vantage are the exact same as getting into a standard UBC program. The only thing that's different is that instead of wasting a year or two (re)learning English, it incorporates ESL teachings into the existing program. The rest of the program is the exact same as the one taught to native English speakers.
They had 18 years to learn English to the level where they'd be able to pass the TOEFL.

Quote:
If you want to get angry at UBC for letting in substandard students, bitch to the government about doing away with the standardized grade 12 provincial exams and high schools not allowing students to fail a course, even if they don't do a single piece of work.
Agree with this.
Old 09-09-2013, 06:42 PM   #65

Quote:
This "diluting" theory is bullshit.

It is no different than a transfer student from Douglas/Kwantlen/Capilano, etc.
I think that's a joke too. As an employer, I'd hire someone who gets admitted to UBC right off the bat.

Quote:
This is just a way for UBC to capitalize from international students who can't speak English but want their fucking money. Just because you can not speak a language fluently it doesn't mean you are dumb.
Which proves my point that they are diluting the value of a UBC degree.

Quote:
This is going to stop all the frustrations of all 100-level professors who have a kids fresh off the plane from China submitting a papers full of syntax errors. Do you fail the kid because he doesn't know the difference between "there" and "their", or does the kid pass because he understands the content?
It shall depend on the course. However, if they don't have a basic command of the language in a paper, their grades should reflect that.

Quote:
And fuck all y'all that think your UBC degree is your ticket to life above the rest. For all we know you skimmed by with a 2.0 GPA and barely graduated. Just because your piece of paper says "UBC", it doesn't mean you were gifted with brains. I can name a handful of people who received their degree from UBC and literally have shit for brains.
These people likely transferred from a college and I'm guessing have a liberal arts degree.
Old 09-09-2013, 06:44 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Vicious View Post
too bad no one gives a fuck about your degree. anyone with half a brain and a coupla g's can get a degree fairly easily from ubc or wherever.
I believe that UBC only accepts around 30-35% of its applicant pool.

Quote:
stem degrees are perhaps a bit more difficult
I have one of those from UBC.
Old 09-09-2013, 07:11 PM   #67
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
So hey everybody! Marco's back!

Everyone is now wrong.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-11-2013, 02:36 AM   #68
YOU CANT CUT BACK ON FUNDING! YOU WILL REGRET THIS

Thanked 3,092 Times in 1,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timpo View Post
THIS IS FUCKING STUPID!!! PEOPLE WHO CAN'T SPEAK ENGLISH SHOULD NEVER GRADUATE UBC!!!

I don't care how much of Math genius Asian you are.
I am so against this. Being a University of Victoria graduate, and as a English as a second language speaker, I feel this is very unfair if those Chinese people get a degree from UBC without even being able to speak English.

If you graduate Canadian University, that should be an indication of your English ability...to show your employer that your English is capable enough to graduate university.

To all Asian(and other) people who had to study English to get into a Canadian university back in the day...well now their time and money was just a huge waste.
I GRADUATE UBC.
I STILL DO NOT UNDERSTAND ENGLISH