REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics

Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Silicon Valley.
Tips & tricks, tech support, home theatre, online gaming, reviews, latest news...

Old 08-25-2013, 08:51 PM   #1
HELP ME PLS!!!

Cable TV Alternative

With the cost of cable TV (and internet service) increasing on an annual basis, shows and programs becoming readily available on the internet. I'm seriously considering of getting rid of cable service. However there are a few things holding me back, and until I can find a reliable replacement, I'd need to continue to stick with my cable provider for now.

1. Live Sporting events (NBA/NHL) - Any way that I can catch these on TV in HD quality without subscribing to cable service (paid or unpaid)?

2. Fairchild TV - Need an easy and reliable replacement for Fairchild TV as the folks don't really know how to use a computer. Tablets aren't an issue for them. So far, I've come across TVPad2 (TVpad????????????_????) that's available. Anyone have experience with these? Apparently they have TVB and ATV broadcasted 24/7, but what about VOD?

I need to address these issues before I can consider replacing my cable tv entirely. Paying $150/month for 2 basic services that I mainly use for Fairchild TV and NHL (and it's not even on these days) is pretty retarded.
Advertisement
willystyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:08 PM   #2
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,508 Times in 4,310 Posts
I have a TVPad at home. The folks picked up on using it fairly quickly and it was pretty much a no-brainer for us to get rid of Fairchild TV or rather, the Asian package from Telus.

If you do decide to get the TVPad or an equivalent, I think to be safe, up your internet package. I say this because with a 15MB package through Telus, sometimes the internet speeds do suffer when my folks watch HD channels on the TVPad but it's not that huge of a deal since we're mostly surfing the web, IM'ing and e-mails, etc.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:19 PM   #3
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
I have a TVPad at home. The folks picked up on using it fairly quickly and it was pretty much a no-brainer for us to get rid of Fairchild TV or rather, the Asian package from Telus.

If you do decide to get the TVPad or an equivalent, I think to be safe, up your internet package. I say this because with a 15MB package through Telus, sometimes the internet speeds do suffer when my folks watch HD channels on the TVPad but it's not that huge of a deal since we're mostly surfing the web, IM'ing and e-mails, etc.
Do you happen to know if the TVB and ATV channel on the TVPAD is a stream, or it has a VOD feature as well? I ask because their primetime shows are broadcasted between 7pm-9pm Hong Kong Time, which is during 4-6AM PST in Vancouver. Kind of pointless of getting it if it's only a stream.

What about local Cantonese news? Are they OK with that? I'd imagine that their news offering would be HK/China orientated.

If I do go the TVPad route, I am looking at switching my internet provider. I'm thinking of getting Teksavvy 25Mbps/2.5Mbps (Unlimited Bandwidth) for $45/month. Pretty good deal.
Old 08-25-2013, 10:22 PM   #4
RS Veteran

There is a channel on the TVPad that offers VOD that streams the TVB & ATV feed.

No local Cantonese news AFAIK. Folks kind of want Fairchild back for that sole purpose but I don't want them watching that crap anyway.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
Old 08-26-2013, 05:14 PM   #5
RS Lurker, I don't post!

when you purchase of TVpad2, use the gift code 16120619 can get free $88 surprise gift package, include motion-sensing remote control.
areeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 05:59 PM   #6
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by areeds View Post
when you purchase of TVpad2, use the gift code 16120619 can get free $88 surprise gift package, include motion-sensing remote control.
Which site?

Did you sign up just to comment on my thread?
Old 08-26-2013, 06:30 PM   #7
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
Internet does everything well
except for sports.

What if someone wants to follow NBA/NHL/F1 etc but doesnt need any other channels? I'm not going to buy NHL Center Ice AND NBA TV every season and the freebie with low bitrate litered with ads isn't an alternative.
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:59 PM   #8
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

in the net you'll find ALL SORTS of canucks streams in good/great quality...
Old 08-26-2013, 10:17 PM   #9
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by willystyle View Post
Which site?

Did you sign up just to comment on my thread?
Look at his user profile. You'll see the site he's referring to.

And I think yes. LOL!

Be careful who/where you buy it from. Some people don't offer warranty/support. I believe the seller from Amazon is the distributor and will offer after-sales support/warranty if you choose to buy the TVPad.

Old 08-27-2013, 12:37 PM   #10
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,191 Times in 2,411 Posts
I've gone off cable for about a year and a half now, for NHL there aren't any reliable HD live streams. I stumbled upon one source that had direct feeds to NHL GameCenter during the playoffs last year, but I don't know if they will be available this coming season. However, if you sign up for paid GameCenter, you won't get Canucks games due to regional blackouts (ridiculous, I know).

Though I still watch HNIC for free through OTA HDTV.

For NBA, is there anything like NHL GameCenter? I doubt there would be blackouts then since there is no local NBA team.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 01:31 PM   #11
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,275 Times in 434 Posts
I use unblock-us to get around the local black out.

I think GameCentre/GameTime is a good alternative to watching live sports.
ForbiddenX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 02:47 PM   #12
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
Look at his user profile. You'll see the site he's referring to.

And I think yes. LOL!

Be careful who/where you buy it from. Some people don't offer warranty/support. I believe the seller from Amazon is the distributor and will offer after-sales support/warranty if you choose to buy the TVPad.
Apparently there are several TVPad authorized dealers in Richmond, BC. I went to check it out, and the quality on the live stream and VOD is OK. It's watchable, but it's nowhere near HD. Even when it says it's HD, it's 480P Youtube quality at best. Also, I was checking out one of the apps that was streaming a live soccer game from CCTV Sports, the volume was turned up highest on the TV, but I can barely hear anything. Is that common?

I'm kind of 50/50 at the moment. Personally if it was for me, I'd just download all my content in HD and stream it within my network, but since this is for my folks, I might give it a shot and see what they think of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonick View Post
I've gone off cable for about a year and a half now, for NHL there aren't any reliable HD live streams. I stumbled upon one source that had direct feeds to NHL GameCenter during the playoffs last year, but I don't know if they will be available this coming season. However, if you sign up for paid GameCenter, you won't get Canucks games due to regional blackouts (ridiculous, I know).

Though I still watch HNIC for free through OTA HDTV.

For NBA, is there anything like NHL GameCenter? I doubt there would be blackouts then since there is no local NBA team.
I was actually considering of subscribing to NHL Gamecentre ice for $150/season. But if they aren't gonna broadcast local games (which I think is fucked up), then I'm not gonna consider it.

There is a NBA League Pass for $150 per season as well. I was thinking of getting that for my pop's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForbiddenX View Post
I use unblock-us to get around the local black out.

I think GameCentre/GameTime is a good alternative to watching live sports.
I have a US VPN. I wonder if I can get that to work with it.
Old 08-27-2013, 04:28 PM   #13

Thanked 1,275 Times in 434 Posts
^I think it should get around it.

Just make sure it's also outside of any team's city you also want to watch live as that will probably get blacked out as well :P.
ForbiddenX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 04:44 PM   #14
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
so you have to pay VPN service on top of your $150/season? If you follow more than one sports then it's probably worth it to just get cable.
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 04:47 PM   #15
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Streams for Gamecenter and League Pass routinely pop up on Reddit. Although it's probably for more tech-savvy people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
so you have to pay VPN service on top of your $150/season? If you follow more than one sports then it's probably worth it to just get cable.
VPNs are cheap if I recall. My favourite is Private Internet Access, only $40 a year.
TatsuyaKataoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 05:11 PM   #16

Thanked 2,752 Times in 1,182 Posts
Does anyone know any alternative that would offer the more regular channels on cable?

I don't watch much TV, and when I do, I like to watch channels like Discovery, Food Network, HGTV... etc.

I have yet come across anything that would have those channels.
Old 08-27-2013, 06:01 PM   #17
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by willystyle View Post
Apparently there are several TVPad authorized dealers in Richmond, BC. I went to check it out, and the quality on the live stream and VOD is OK. It's watchable, but it's nowhere near HD. Even when it says it's HD, it's 480P Youtube quality at best. Also, I was checking out one of the apps that was streaming a live soccer game from CCTV Sports, the volume was turned up highest on the TV, but I can barely hear anything. Is that common?
Yes. This is normal, or rather, what we expected. It isn't true HD nor did we expect it. It's disappointing so to say the least but at least for us, it does the job. It was simply a means of alternative television for the folks and they could care less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by willystyle
I'm kind of 50/50 at the moment. Personally if it was for me, I'd just download all my content in HD and stream it within my network, but since this is for my folks, I might give it a shot and see what they think of it.
We were pretty 50/50 for the same reason but ultimately, it has worked out for us. Folks get what they want and it keeps them grounded with little to no complaints. We've been using TVPad since it first came out. The whole idea of downloading HD quality shows individually was attempted but for us, it was too time consuming.

This post thanked by:
Old 08-27-2013, 06:21 PM   #18
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
my parents bought the TVPad2.. they also cancelled all the extra addon channels from telus, only have basic..

I find the quality to be ok.. But I still download all my movies at 1080p... lol used to only watch 720p... 1080p is where its at...