REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 08-28-2013, 09:21 PM   #1
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

School me on Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT) Vehicles !!

I am looking at a few Nissan vehicles and most of them are CVT transmission, how does the drive feel compare to regular automatic transmission cars?

In short, what is CVT transmission ?

In the long term, will maintenance costs be higher or lower with a CVT vehicle compared to a regular automatic transmission?

Thanks in advance !!

*CVT noob here
Advertisement
tru_blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:30 PM   #2
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
CVT, you can imagine as an upgraded version of your sewing machine "gearbox". The "gears" are done by varying the diameters of the pulleys. In the basic modem, the car will sound like a sewing machine, because that's how it is supposed to be. The engine will be at constant rev all the time once you stop accelerating. However some manufacturers have put in a few programs that will make it sound more normal.

CVT gearbox is meant to be self contained, maintenance should be higher than regular automatic because you are supposed to replace it as a whole unit. Remember Japanese manufacturers assume during the service life of the vehicle, you take it to an authorized dealer instead to an indy dealer; so generally they don't publish detailed repair informations like their European counterparts.

Automatics are not as efficient as CVT (heavier, more friction surfaces and more complex). CVT is more lighter and gas efficient, that's why they are big in Japan where gas is expensive. However automatics can usually handle more torque and are easier to service.

CVT is most useful in Hybrids because the electric engine gives constant torque, not to mention for hybrid fuel efficiency is the bragging rights.

If it is a low powered car sub 150hp, even less torque. It doesn't matter, but it is something I suggest to buy only new.

Last edited by godwin; 08-28-2013 at 09:41 PM.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-28-2013, 09:47 PM   #3
& Associates Inc.

Thanked 1,215 Times in 409 Posts
Nissan offers 10 year/200,000km's warranty on their CVT's (for pre-2010 models *credit to tofu*)

Also when u test drive a CVT equipped vehicle make sure you drive it at low speeds in residential streets without giving it a lot of throttle. The one I have driven vibrated at low speeds up until a certain RPM, until the Torque Convertor disengaged or something.

Also many like to keep the RPM's low and tend to shift to higher "gears" sooner and may experience lugging or lurching, kind of like driving in sixth gear at low speeds on a manual

Last edited by ruthless; 08-28-2013 at 11:39 PM.
ruthless is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-28-2013, 10:09 PM   #4
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 1,491 Times in 341 Posts
The engine stays at the same Rev and accelerates but drones. Weird as Fuck when I first drove one
Posted via RS Mobile
AVS_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:18 PM   #5
:: Sells McLarens, Not tofu :okay: ::

Thanked 11,815 Times in 3,329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthless View Post
Nissan offers 10 year/200,000km's warranty on their CVT's

Also when u test drive a CVT equipped vehicle make sure you drive it at low speeds in residential streets without giving it a lot of throttle. The one I have driven vibrated at low speeds up until a certain RPM, until the Torque Convertor disengaged or something.

Also many like to keep the RPM's low and tend to shift to higher "gears" sooner and may experience lugging or lurching, kind of like driving in sixth gear at low speeds on a manual
200k kms only on the pre 2010's :P

they're different and would feel weird for some. CVT technology has came a long way since they were introduced into the earlier 2000s Nissans.

They are quite smooth (shiftless) and adjusts really quickly to scenarios (dont have to downshift lag like a regular transmission does). It makes the powerband of the car more flexible. Has somewhat of a rubber band feel with revs.

There are a few things that do annoy me though since I drive those cars everyday:

- noise. Some lower end models are noisy as hell, especially with a 4 cylinder motor. Higher end V6 models are much better. The noises it generates along with the thrashy 4 cylinders sound very uninspiring.
- Strength. They cant tow as much as a conventional transmission.. and constant towing w/ lack of servicing would kill the transmission. They have improved on the design of a new gen of CVT on the 13'+ Pathfinder, made it lighter, stronger and added an oil cooler... not sure if it'll last too long though.

Just a few things. More and more manufacturers are moving into CVT tech for the line up. Even the Accord has it now on their 4cyl models. A matter of time when most entry level cars will have it!

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions regarding to the Nissans you're looking at!

13' Nissan DBA-R35 GT-R Black Ed - Black met. - "Sophia"

00' Acura 1.6EL - // Power of dreams Project - "Unity"

02' Nissan M35 Stagea - "Wynn"

91' Honda EF Civic CX - "Xander"

- The Drinker of Many Many Coffees @ McLaren Vancouver
tofu1413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:19 PM   #6
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Since CVT have "infinite' gears so to speak, some manufactures have "sport mode" for cvt's where you can shift preset gears. They kinda work like a manual gearbox but without the significant drop in rpms. On my RVR and Lancer, it's kinda fun to play around with, but you won't get optimal mileage; leaving it in D should net you higher mileage.

When you're off the accelerator, there is a noticeable amount of engine braking like what Ruthless said.
jcmaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:24 PM   #7
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 7,449 Times in 1,438 Posts
asian_XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:32 PM   #8
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
CVT technology has came a long way since they were introduced into the earlier 2000s Nissans.
wut??

CVTs have been around in cars since the 20s. Available in US cars since the 80s at least.
Splinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:33 PM   #9

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
If you've ever driven a snowmobile, you'll know what a CVT feels like, as they've used CVTs almost since the inception of the machine. A lot of ATVs use them too. My dad has an old (early-60s, I think) Shopsmith Mark V that also uses a CVT to let you dial precise speeds for different tool attachments.

We have one in our 2008 Patriot. I wouldn't say it's particularly good or bad, better or worse than a standard automatic... just very different than what you're used to. A lot of people don't like them for that reason alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinter View Post
wut??

CVTs have been around since the 80s.
In cars, maybe... they've been around far longer than that in other modes of transportation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:41 PM   #10
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
All the CVTs I've driven gave me new appreciation for automatics ... and I hate automatics ...

Didn't care for the Prius at all, didn't care for the Sentra, the Cube, or the Versa in CVT. Ended up convincing my GF to suck it up and drive with a manual gearbox. Couldn't be happier.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:45 PM   #11

Quote:
wut??

CVTs have been around in cars since the 20s. Available in US cars since the 80s at least.
Nissan didnt have them in the US till early 2000s

Old 08-28-2013, 10:46 PM   #12
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,655 Posts
Sorry man, but the automotive world doesn't revolve around Nissan's

2021 Mustang GT PP1 6MT
dared3vil0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:50 PM   #13
Banned By Establishment

you buy a CVT when all the fun is gone from your life, and you just want something to get you to the cemetery.
predom is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-28-2013, 10:51 PM   #14

OP is asking about CVTs... and hes looking at Nissans.

The car world would be a bit different without that brand though...

No Z. No GTR. No Timpo.

This post thanked by:
Old 08-28-2013, 10:54 PM   #15

^ I would buy an Altima/Maxima 3.5 SV tomorrow if it has a normal auto or a manual. CVT's just plain suck.

2021 Mustang GT PP1 6MT
Old 08-28-2013, 11:05 PM   #16
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

thanks for all the replies !!

So what are some positive things and negative things about CVT cars in general then ?
tru_blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:19 PM   #17

^ If you're still asking about positives and negatives, i'd suggest actually reading some fo the posts people made...

2021 Mustang GT PP1 6MT
Old 08-28-2013, 11:22 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by dared3vil0 View Post
^ I would buy an Altima/Maxima 3.5 SV tomorrow if it has a normal auto or a manual. CVT's just plain suck.
they did. just no one bought them

Old 08-29-2013, 12:19 AM   #19
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
We have one in our 2008 Patriot. I wouldn't say it's particularly good or bad, better or worse than a standard automatic... just very different than what you're used to. A lot of people don't like them for that reason alone.
I had an '08 Patriot. Test drove a CVT but really didn't like it, purchased a standard 5-speed instead.

Definitely something you have to try out to see the difference. Maybe I'd have gotten used to it eventually, but I had a preference for standard from the get go.

Last edited by Nightwalker; 08-29-2013 at 03:02 PM.
Nightwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 07:24 AM   #20
I don't get it

I have a 11' Cube and i'm still trying to get use to the CVT. On a 4 cyclinder, it is super frustrating if you want to go fast (loud like a scooter)... so now i drive like a granny. The droning, the clutch slipping feeling when it is adjusting to the gas input, whining noises when it is coming to a stop and did i mention the droning??
Zordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 07:57 AM   #21
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Loved it on my Murano 2.5. Smooth power delivery and great gas mileage. I guess it really depends what purpose the car is for. If you value sporty then CVT is not your friend.
NKC ONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:13 AM   #22
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

CVTs are great in theory, a big part of the efficiency loss in cars is because the engine constantly has to change speed to match the vehicle speed. With a CVT the engine can stay in its most efficient spot and the transmission makes the adjustments as necessary.

It doesn't make for a good drivers car is all. It's not 'fun'.
Splinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:29 AM   #23

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightwalker View Post
I had an '08 Patriot. Test drove a CTV but really didn't like it, purchased a standard 5-speed instead.
Gotta say, I would have preferred a standard over an automatic of any kind... but it's more the wife's vehicle, so...

Quote:
CVTs are great in theory, a big part of the efficiency loss in cars is because the engine constantly has to change speed to match the vehicle speed. With a CVT the engine can stay in its most efficient spot and the transmission makes the adjustments as necessary.

It doesn't make for a good drivers car is all. It's not 'fun'.
I think this is a big part of the hate on CVTs... with modern ones especially, you have to understand that the computer is controlling the transmission AND engine for best overall efficiency (not JUST fuel economy), so if you mash down the pedal and the computer thinks, "Hmm, that's not really going to help matters", then you won't get the response you're expecting. I've found the Riot actually accelerates better if I roll on the gas gradually and steadily, rather than just flooring it, and while you don't get that instant kick-in-the-pants you're used to with a regular automatic, you find you're up to speed before you know it, almost without noticing the increase.

Not so much for a "driver's car" for sure... but great for a commuter or daily driver.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:37 AM   #24
Who's naughty? I___i

i got a '10 altima and i don't mind the CVT, no vibration at low speed. Also, I believe the extended warranty on CVT applies to the 2010 model. '11+ models received updated CVT and 2013 models has the next generation (?) CVT but from what i see on club forum many '13 owners are having issues.

you should test drive one both in city and on the highway, you'll probably find the vehicle accelerates better in manual mode
Szeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 11:24 AM   #25
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Owned a Lancer for 4 years with a CVT.

Pros:
- Comfort. Passengers often comment on the ride comfort but not sure why until I tell them the car doesn't shift.
- The Mitsu shifttronic mode is more engaging than some automatic shifttronics I've driven. For one it actually sticks to the gear you're on unlike my current Toyota which kinda does what it wants and uses your shift number as a recommendation. The shifting is only for fun as the car is faster in auto-mode.
- I guess it saves gas but I really don't notice it

Cons:
- It's slow from a dead stop. It almost feels like you're starting in gear 2 to be honest. However once you're rolling it's quite peppy especially in the 20-80 range since it doesn't shift.
- It's not too bad for city driving or lower mainland highways. I hated it for long drives in the interior and made me miss the sound of gears. My current car has a 6 speed auto (no dual clutch) and I prefer it in every way over the cvt (minus the shiftronic which I rarely use).
- Noise... it does sound like a sowing machine.
- Easier to pass the speed limit because it can slowly creep up in speed without you noticing (very minor issue)
- For the Mitsu it cannot take any more horsepower so power gains are a no-no. I read on a forum where they added forced induction and the transmission started to fall apart.

In summary: fine for an eco car, doing city driving. If you're a performance car enthusiast or like to zoom around, might want to look at a manual. Given the choice I would pick a non-cvt automatic over a cvt.
mos_skeeto is offline   Reply With Quote