REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > House and Home Renovations

House and Home Renovations THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Designing your new condo or townhouse? Renovating your kitchen? Share your photos and project ideas with other experts here! We're not just modifying our cars anymore..

Old 08-29-2013, 09:10 AM   #1
I don't get it

Tips on Buying Your First House?

Just trying to get an idea of where to start. Any feedback would be great! Thanks!
Advertisement
K3604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:17 AM   #2
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,726 Times in 546 Posts
Buy low, sell high.
bcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-29-2013, 09:24 AM   #3
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,063 Times in 1,182 Posts
Don't forget to budget for closing costs.

Here are some examples of closing costs - there may be more depending on your situation:

1) Property transfer tax
2) Legal fees
3) Property tax adjustment
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-29-2013, 09:57 AM   #4
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Don't over extend. Borrowing extra $$$ to buy something nicer means you owe more $$$ and when interest rates go up, it means each month you will have to pay more $$$ back to the bank.

Don't fall in love with the first place you look at. Try to look objectively because once you buy it, it will cost you $$$ to sell it when you find out this place isn't "the" place you had in mind.

Get a good home inspector. Don't look on CL for the cheapest one, but find one with lots of experience and good reviews. In the grand scheme of things, the amount of $$$ you spend on one may save you that much $ or more on future repairs/headaches.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-29-2013, 10:49 AM   #5
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
when looking at your monthly mortgage payment

take in to account living expenses: food, insurance, car insurance, gas, phone bill, tv bill, utility bills, clothing. shit adds up fast

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-29-2013, 02:27 PM   #6
I don't get it

Any tips on how I can save dollars in between the lines? Also this will be my first time buying what other things should I look out for? Would it be better to buy land and build on top from scratch than to buy a house a couple years old?

Any feedback would be great! Thanks.
K3604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 04:52 PM   #7
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by K3604 View Post
Just trying to get an idea of where to start. Any feedback would be great! Thanks!
Where to start?

Read the, like, 20 threads on RS about buying real estate.
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-29-2013, 05:46 PM   #8

Quote:
Any tips on how I can save dollars in between the lines? Also this will be my first time buying what other things should I look out for? Would it be better to buy land and build on top from scratch than to buy a house a couple years old?

if you know your realtor they can agree on a smaller percentage. mine is a family friend whom i've used more than once so we have a relationship.

if you have at last 20% down payment you can avoid having to pay for CMHC mortgage insurance.

if you have RRSP's you can use i believe it's up to $25k (don't quote me on value) towards your home if it's your first home (you'll have 15 years to put it back) i won't go in to too much details on it. your bank can explain it in greater detail.

it sounds like you don't have any construction or construction management experience. unless you know a trusted general contractor to do the job for you, i would avoid getting involved, but that's my opinion. there's others on here with detached resi experienced that can comment better than i.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur View Post
Where to start?

Read the, like, 20 threads on RS about buying real estate.
what she said

Quote:
Greenstoner
originalhypa
Quote:

This post thanked by:
Old 08-29-2013, 11:25 PM   #9
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 1,934 Times in 494 Posts
Look at many, many houses before you decide.

Take your time and enjoy the process.
Marshall Placid is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-30-2013, 10:11 PM   #10
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Would it be better to buy land and build on top from scratch than to buy a house a couple years old?

It would depend on what you're looking for in a house/plot of land and how soon you want/need to move in. Personally I would prefer to build a house instead of buying one that's already standing, mainly because I can customize the design to my needs and I can check on the progress to make sure shit is being done properly. However, building a house can get very expensive, especially when shit starts going sideways (not to mention the issues that occur when you choose poorly and get a shitty contractor [like my roommate's parents did] or even sub-contractors). Failed inspections mean more work, which in turn means more money to fork out for man hours and material. And if the contractor decides not to pay the sub-contractors, they can put a lien on the house even if you've already paid the contractor.

Conversely, if you buy property with a house already standing, especially if it's an older lot and house, you can theoretically get more square footage (both in land and housing) over a newer house. Older houses do tend to cost more for maintenance (roof, hot water tank, etc), but depending on the design and construction date it could theoretically be far more reliable and have better bones than most new houses.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 09:14 AM   #11

i like to pay attention to finishing in new/reno'd homes when i go to open houses. some easy stuff to spot easily makes me suspect if someone doesn't take the time/care to get the visual end product correct, they didn't take any care on the important functional stuff that you can't see.

Quote:
Greenstoner
originalhypa
Quote:

Old 08-31-2013, 03:08 PM   #12
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall Placid View Post
Look at many, many houses before you decide.

Take your time and enjoy the process.
And after you narrow it down to a couple of places, go back to it a few more times to make sure it's the right 1. I went to mine at least 5 times before I decided.
hopalong is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-02-2013, 02:01 PM   #13

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOW View Post
it sounds like you don't have any construction or construction management experience. unless you know a trusted general contractor to do the job for you, i would avoid getting involved, but that's my opinion. there's others on here with detached resi experienced that can comment better than i.
Agreed, my parents are in the middle of building one and they so regret it. My dad has 40 years of construction experience but building in an area that is booming has been a huge challenge.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 03:10 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post
Agreed, my parents are in the middle of building one and they so regret it. My dad has 40 years of construction experience but building in an area that is booming has been a huge challenge.
what difficulities have they ran in to? getting the subs to man power up on schedule, but can't b/c they're spread too thin in a booming area stretching out the construction schedule?

Quote:
Greenstoner
originalhypa
Quote:

Old 09-02-2013, 07:26 PM   #15

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOW View Post
what difficulities have they ran in to? getting the subs to man power up on schedule, but can't b/c they're spread too thin in a booming area stretching out the construction schedule?
My dad moved back to Sask. to open up a new office for a BC Steel Framing/Drywall contractor that is expanding and he's picked up a lot of work over the last 2+ years. I would guess 80% of his labour is flown in from BC and Alberta as they can't find anyone skilled locally, most locals go potash or oil where the extreme money is. He's been experiencing the samething with his home build, he can't get subs and even when he does they don't show up when they say they will. They are also charging at least double what the same work would cost here.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa

Last edited by quasi; 09-02-2013 at 07:32 PM.
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:29 AM   #16
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Another thing to consider when buying your first place is are you currently renting or moving out of your parent's place.
If you are renting, how much furniture do you have?
If you are moving out of your parent's place, how much furniture will you bring with you?

When I first moved out, I had nothing. Had to buy a new bed, new table, new tv, new plates, knives and forks, and most importantly toilet paper. And all this cost $$$. Each item might not seem like a lot, but once you add it up at the same time, the cost is up there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 04:11 PM   #17
dru
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:

I recently bought my first home and considered this option as well, but after some math and research, I was quickly turned off by the idea.

To qualify for a mortgage on an empty lot, the bank (TD) said I needed to put 50% down, just to buy the land - this doesn't include financing the build (an additional $300-$400k).

Obviously, your financial situation is different, so it could work for you.

In the end, I bought an older home and had a thorough home inspection done and I couldn't be happier.

As someone who has just gone through this process, there are 3 things I recommend.

1) Get a good realtor - someone you trust and can close a deal
2) Get a good mortgage broker - they do mortgages every day and know what the real rates are, not what the banks offer you
3) Get a good home inspector - call around and interview them, see what they offer and choose the one you feel most comfortable with

This on top of doing your due diligence (e.g. multiple viewings of the same property, neighboring properties in the area, speaking to the neighbors, proximity to schools, transit, shops, etc) as others have mentioned in this thread.

Best of luck in your house search!
dru is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-26-2013, 02:16 PM   #18

Thanked 3,063 Times in 1,182 Posts
Bump... from today's copy of the 24 Hrs newspaper:

Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 03:29 PM   #19
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,043 Times in 2,076 Posts
Land appreciates in value over time, the structure doesn't.

Hypothetically, let's say your budget is 750k. If your options are a newer home with granite/hardwood (aka wife/gf/random pleasers) on a 5000 sq ft lot or an older home with regular countertops/carpet on an 8000 sq ft lot I recommend you choose the latter and make upgrades yourself as you go along.

Obviously, thats a pretty blanket statement but just remember my first point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?

Last edited by punkwax; 09-26-2013 at 03:42 PM.
punkwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 08:08 AM   #20
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,344 Times in 972 Posts
I am going thru this one right now and that's unemployment.

you have to make sure what your bottom line is. IF one of you loses your job, are you still going to be able to sustain your lifestyle. Will your wife / gf pay? Are you over borrowing where you can't afford your house AND a car.

Lastly, don't focus on the ultimate goal on the house, focus on how you're able to get by 4 yrs from now when the interest rates goes up. That means an extra 200 bucks a month on a mortgage. 200 seems like nothing a MONTH, but that's over 2000 a yr. Do you SAVE 2000 a yr?
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 09:46 AM   #21
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Good questions to be asking, either yourself or anyone but your realtor and mortgage broker:

(Building on what numbers here said )

How much can you afford?
When one person loses their job?
When interest goes up
If house values fall? Will you be in negative equity? How much can they go down before negative equity?
If utilities go up?
House repairs? How much can go wrong at once before you eat sardines? I'd want to know that number.

Do ALL of this before you: look at pretty houses on the internet, and talk to the pretty realtor that does this for commission only. The mortgage broker too, is commission only.

It's super easy to get the wow factor going when you are standing in what could be your kitchen.

I tend to look at these spreadsheets backwards from most. A lot, and I mean a LOT of people do these spreadsheets to justify what they want to do..."I can afford 2k per month, and set aside 10% for a rainy day and finance out at 5% downpayment up to 5% interest...let's go shopping!"

Be smart and you'll be fine. Your realtor does NOT share your interests in all things. They want a sale, and they want it to happen quickly. They are starting to get worried. If they say different, they are lying to you.

Everyone will show you graphs where its a balanced market with a slight advantage to a buyers market. If you are selling, they'll show you a graph where its balanced with a slight advantage to a sellers market.

It is currently a buyers market in Vancouver. Yes, people are getting a little dumb on locking in on their guaranteed rates and inching up the prices to get the house on time, but overall there is a lot of price reductions happening that signals overall, people are motivated to sell.

Look for properties that they didn't buy at a high price and thus aren't willing to take a hit. You'll be negotiating against history until the end of time.

Last edited by Gridlock; 09-27-2013 at 03:57 PM.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 03:13 AM   #22
RS Lurker, I don't post!

Just go with many option and select the most suitable one..
It will give you the most from those which are available to you..
RobDraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 07:28 AM   #23
Founder, RS Veteran

Well, My suggestions when buying a first used house:
-my father always told me that within the first 10 steps of walking in, you can "feel" as if this is the house right for u. If you don't have that feeling then u obviously don't love it. And since this is one of the biggest purchases in your life then you should love it! You're gonna spend lotsa time in it!
-the nagging questions/concerns you have during the open house will inevitably come back to haunt u when u sell it. For example, you think that the big telephone pole is blocking your view or the sloping driveway to ur garage may be problematic during winter season
-patience. The first place you buy is crucial. If you rush to get a home simply out of competitiveness, you may rush and purchase a bad house that u may regret when the dust clears. And if you find a nicer place to upgrade in he future, remember that u will first need to sell your crappy house for the funds to get the new house you want. All within roughly the same time frame. Unless you luckily find the right buyer for ur old house in time.
-during the open house have a look at who your neighbours are and what they are like. Are their lawns well kept? Are the hoarding junk in their backyard? Do they seem friendly? The house is part of it but its important to look beyond the house but the neighbourhood and its culture. Do u see yourself integrating and being a part if it?
-a good house in a bad location won't supercede a bad house in a good location. You can replace that leaky roof but u can't move that noisy highway running by your backyard. That's it for now

Posted via RS Mobile
jACEDesignsLtd is offline   Reply With Quote