REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics

Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Silicon Valley.
Tips & tricks, tech support, home theatre, online gaming, reviews, latest news...

Old 08-30-2013, 08:54 PM   #1
HELP ME PLS!!!

Network Storage/Streaming & Management Solution

Hey guys!

I am looking for a centralized network setup that will allow me to stream its content to various devices around the home to media players attached to TV, macbook, desktop pc, etc. I am also looking for a way for the device to manage itself without me having to update its content on a daily basis (automatically downloading new episodes, not having to manually transfer media files from desktop to external HD). I want the solution to be as automated as possible. The solutions that I came up with is a HTPC setup or an external hard drive attached to my Linksys E4200 running Tomato.

HTPC - Out of my budget. I don't want to spend $400-$500

External HD to E4200 - Most likely solution, but I am not sure if it can be automated like what I described.

Any other solutions out there?

Budget is $200-$300
Advertisement
willystyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:32 PM   #2
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Sounds like you need a NAS (Network Attached Storage)
QNAP TS-220 2 Bay Personal Cloud NAS DLNA Mobile APP. Marvel 1.6GHZ CPU 512MB RAM USB3.0
Synology Disk Station DS212J 2-BAY SATA NAS RAID Server Dsm DLNA USB iPhone iPad Android App

QNAP/Synology work great out of the box.

I've had no luck with USB mounted storage on my Asus RT-N56U. Read/Write performance is slow, and for some reason the drive keeps randomly disconnecting, which is a problem when I'm downloading torrents directly to the drive.
Eclypz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:50 PM   #3
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,779 Times in 1,173 Posts
A NAS is the one you want, but you have to manage the downloading function - gotta feed it new torrents, remove old ones etc. I have mine streaming to various PC's/Macs/tablets/etc and it works fine, PS3 as well (but PS3 has file format limitations).

I have a Lacie NAS and I'm happy with it, was considering Synology but this was cheaper.
fml
roastpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 10:49 PM   #4
HELP ME PLS!!!

Ok I'll take a look into a NAS.

But what software do I use to automate the torrent downloading aspect? Like keeping track of episodes.

Is it possible to remote control a NAS over the network from a Desktop PC?
Old 08-30-2013, 11:02 PM   #5
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-30-2013, 11:25 PM   #6
Resident Bullshitter

I use plex server. While it doesn't automatically download anything, but it does automatically catalog all my movies and tv shows, it will continually update as it detects new downloads.

the PS3 could detect the plex server on the network. if not I always have the plex app on my iOS device to browse my entire library of videos and airplay it onto the tv thru apple tv.
.Renn.Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 11:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by willystyle View Post
Ok I'll take a look into a NAS.

But what software do I use to automate the torrent downloading aspect? Like keeping track of episodes.

Is it possible to remote control a NAS over the network from a Desktop PC?
You can automate torrents downloading by using RSS feeds for your favourite sites and creating filters to download what you want. You can either use a torrent client with RSS support from a PC (uTorrent) and save to NAS (as a disk), or you can use the Torrent client built-in to your NAS. You can even take it one step further and have it email you once a download is complete.

Yes, you interface with the NAS over web browser. Its the same as how you would interface with your router, except a NAS has a much more capable OS.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-31-2013, 12:24 AM   #8
Got MOD?

Get a NAS. One that supports 3rd party plugins such as QNAP or Synology. You'll need to install some stuff like SABNZBD, CouchPotato, SickBeard to automate these things. However word of warning. Most $300 NAS aren't very powerful so doing the things you want are gonna be spotty.

My recommended solution is to build a media HTPC/ server

Zotac Zbox ID85 Intel Core HD Graphics DVI HDMI Bluetooth 2XUSB3.0 Barebone Mini PC
Add some ram, add a 2.5" HDD 750GB-1TB and you'll hit your mark of $300 with a far more capable and flexible system. You can still add external USB3 hard drives.

My own setup is like this:
Zotac Zbox Nano ID61 Intel Celeron 867 8GB Bluetooth HDMI DisplayPort 2XUSB3.0 Barebone Mini PC
8GB DDR RAM
120GB SSD
3TB ESATA
3TB USB3
Everything downloads on SSD and is moved over to ESATA. Once a night my ESATA gets mirrored over to the USB3.
My Feedback (50-0-0)

!MiKrofT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 02:08 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclypz View Post
You can automate torrents downloading by using RSS feeds for your favourite sites and creating filters to download what you want. You can either use a torrent client with RSS support from a PC (uTorrent) and save to NAS (as a disk), or you can use the Torrent client built-in to your NAS. You can even take it one step further and have it email you once a download is complete.

Yes, you interface with the NAS over web browser. Its the same as how you would interface with your router, except a NAS has a much more capable OS.
Do you have this setup running flawlessly? I'm looking into NAS but it would have to do the following:

1. auto download via RSS
2. be able to run PS3 Media Server + support subtitles
3. be able to run Plex Media Server + support subtitles
http://wiki.plexapp.com/index.php/FA...Server_and_NAS

that way I can watch things on my PS3 and on mobile devices.
Old 08-31-2013, 04:55 AM   #10
Got MOD?

Unless you're willing to invest in an x86 processor based NAS, I wouldn't attempt it for plex.
My Feedback (50-0-0)

Old 08-31-2013, 07:45 AM   #11

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
I'm running a Synology DS-412+, which is a little spendier, but works great with a four-disk RAID.

PS3 sees both Plex server and the built-in DLNA server, as do my LG and Sony Blu-Ray players. Android devices work with it using Plex player, and any number of DLNA-capable players.

Built-in Download Station app does torrents, eMule, thunder, flashget, and QQDL... AND RSS FEEDS (I've never use it, but the feature is there):

There's also a handy Chrome extension that will queue downloads on the Download Station - just right-click any download link and select it... as well as download YouTube videos directly to it.

For just downloading and serving videos, you don't need a lot of power, but if you want it to transcode videos on-the-fly for mobile and whatnot, you do need something with a better processor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 09:55 AM   #12

guess NAS isn't for me then
I'll continue using my main PC for the transcoding/streaming
I've a HTPC but it's a few years old now (no USB3 and only a dual core 2GHz...it might have eSATA tho)
Old 08-31-2013, 11:52 AM   #13
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanks for the options.

What are the benefits of running a Plex server?
Old 08-31-2013, 12:19 PM   #14
Got MOD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
I'm running a Synology DS-412+, which is a little spendier, but works great with a four-disk RAID.

PS3 sees both Plex server and the built-in DLNA server, as do my LG and Sony Blu-Ray players. Android devices work with it using Plex player, and any number of DLNA-capable players.

Built-in Download Station app does torrents, eMule, thunder, flashget, and QQDL... AND RSS FEEDS (I've never use it, but the feature is there):

There's also a handy Chrome extension that will queue downloads on the Download Station - just right-click any download link and select it... as well as download YouTube videos directly to it.

For just downloading and serving videos, you don't need a lot of power, but if you want it to transcode videos on-the-fly for mobile and whatnot, you do need something with a better processor.
Yup. That has a Dual core Intel Atom which helps a lot for plex
My Feedback (50-0-0)

Old 08-31-2013, 01:09 PM   #15

Quote:
What are the benefits of running a Plex server?
i havent got around to configuring it as I just got the android app for $2
but Plex decodes on the fly meaning if your bandwidth can't support its native bitrate it'll scale it down a bit
Old 08-31-2013, 04:24 PM   #16
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by !MiKrofT View Post
My recommended solution is to build a media HTPC/ server

Zotac Zbox ID85 Intel Core HD Graphics DVI HDMI Bluetooth 2XUSB3.0 Barebone Mini PC
Add some ram, add a 2.5" HDD 750GB-1TB and you'll hit your mark of $300 with a far more capable and flexible system. You can still add external USB3 hard drives.

My own setup is like this:
Zotac Zbox Nano ID61 Intel Celeron 867 8GB Bluetooth HDMI DisplayPort 2XUSB3.0 Barebone Mini PC
8GB DDR RAM
120GB SSD
3TB ESATA
3TB USB3
Everything downloads on SSD and is moved over to ESATA. Once a night my ESATA gets mirrored over to the USB3.
Alright, so I am leaning more towards this now, except with a few adjustments.

What OS are you using to run your setup? and will this run Plex as well?

case: Cooler Master N200 mATX / mITX Tower Case Black 1X5.25 3X3.5 4X2.5 USB3.0 *No - 33.07
psu: Antec Basiq BP350 350WATT ATX12V V2.01 80mm Quiet Fan ATX Power Supply - 29.79
cpu: Intel Celeron G1610 Dual Core Processor LGA1155 2.6GHZ Ivy Bridge 2MB Retail Box 45.40
mobo: Gigabyte GA-H61M-S2PV mATX LGA1155 H61 DDR3 1PCI-E16 1PCI-E1 2PCI SATA2 Video Sound Motherboard - 54.25
cable: dvi-d to hdmi - 11
RAM: Corsair CMV4GX3M1A1333C9 8GB 1X8GB DDR3-1333 1.5V CL9-9-9-24 240PIN DIMM Unbuffered Memory - 61.59
HD: Western Digital WD Caviar Green 3TB SATA3 3.5IN 64MB Cache Intellipower Internal Hard Disk Drive - 124.79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post

Thanks, but out of my budget.
Old 08-31-2013, 04:54 PM   #17
Got MOD?

I'm using Server 2008 R2 x64. Only because I had an extra license lol.

Seems ok for plex for me but that may vary depending on how many plex clients you need to run.
My Feedback (50-0-0)

Old 08-31-2013, 05:13 PM   #18
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by !MiKrofT View Post
I'm using Server 2008 R2 x64. Only because I had an extra license lol.

Seems ok for plex for me but that may vary depending on how many plex clients you need to run.
Im looking at FreeNAS vs Server 2008. Which one would be easier to use? I'm guessing Server 2008?

Which devices would require plex? I will be streaming to 2 Roku XS (or WD LIVE TV - haven't decided yet), a Macbook Air (Wireless N), and a Desktop PC (Windows 7 64-bit)

All of the connections will be Powerline Ethernet 500Mb on a Gigabit line, except Macbook Air (Wireless N).
Old 08-31-2013, 06:43 PM   #19

Quote:
Thanks, but out of my budget.
These packages/apps are common to most Synology models; I went with the DS-412+ because I wanted the extra space and processing power. A-Power has a DS-409 on for $299, and the two-bay DS-212j starting at $220, and lots in between.

QNAP has similar offerings, although I've used a few of their models in the past and had absolute nightmares dealing with their so-called support... I would not recommend them based on this.
Quote:
Old 09-01-2013, 02:31 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
Do you have this setup running flawlessly? I'm looking into NAS but it would have to do the following:

1. auto download via RSS
2. be able to run PS3 Media Server + support subtitles
3. be able to run Plex Media Server + support subtitles
FAQ: Plex Media Server and NAS - Plex

that way I can watch things on my PS3 and on mobile devices.
My setup is actually currently not using a NAS. I have a dedicated media server PC (E8400 + 4GB RAM).
Eventually, I'll get a NAS just to centralize storage, but right now, everything I download is stored onto my media server (and then shared out).

Streaming to PS3 and mobile devices will require transcoding, which requires decent processing power, hence why Mikroft suggests a x86 CPU NAS is required.

My "media server" is a windows 8 machine which I leave on 24/7. It runs uTorrent with RSS feeds setup to automatically download all the shows I watch, then emails me when a download is complete. I use Serviio as my primary DLNA media server. I also have PS3 Media Server running just for my PS3. I use RDP to administer my media server.
Old 09-01-2013, 04:05 PM   #21
Got MOD?

Quote:
Im looking at FreeNAS vs Server 2008. Which one would be easier to use? I'm guessing Server 2008?

Which devices would require plex? I will be streaming to 2 Roku XS (or WD LIVE TV - haven't decided yet), a Macbook Air (Wireless N), and a Desktop PC (Windows 7 64-bit)

All of the connections will be Powerline Ethernet 500Mb on a Gigabit line, except Macbook Air (Wireless N).
FreeNAS is nice but for easy setup stick with Windows base. Doesn't have to be Server 2008. Win7 will do just fine. I'm only using it cause I have licenses. It'll be a lot more easier to configure Windows over FreeNAS especially when you're looking for apps and schedulers.

PS3 and Mobile devices will need plex to transcode the video. Your WDTV, Laptops, Desktops all can do their own decoding so it won't use Plex. I believe Plex can also dump the stream direct with no transcoding if your hardware is fast enough so you can use the Plex interface for these devices as well.
My Feedback (50-0-0)

Last edited by !MiKrofT; 09-01-2013 at 05:01 PM.
Old 01-01-2014, 05:29 PM   #22

OP did you end up getting a nas or just used hdd on router?

i'm thinking of getting usb3 hdd connected to ac56u router which seems to get 50-60MB/s read and 20-30MB/s write which should be enough for streaming BD rips. It can support Transmission
Old 01-01-2014, 07:02 PM   #23
HELP ME PLS!!!

I didn't end up getting either. Currently looking for a Media Streaming solution instead with XBMC and IPTV capability.
Old 01-14-2014, 09:48 AM   #24
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Looking to get into a NAS mostly for music and possibly movies down the road. Probably only 1 or 2 users. What are the drawbacks of the lower end ones. In particular the WD my cloud?
Farfetched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 08:20 PM   #25

Main drawback will probably be lack of processing power if you want to transcode video on-the-fly.
Quote: