REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics

Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Silicon Valley.
Tips & tricks, tech support, home theatre, online gaming, reviews, latest news...

Old 09-01-2013, 03:54 PM   #1
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Network: QOS through access point

My hypothetical setup:

-> = ethernet cable
Shaw modem -> Asus router (access point mode) -> Linksys router (access point mode)

If I set up QOS rules on the Asus router (I'm looking at RT-N66U), would computers connected to the Linksys router be governed by the QOS rules?

Also, would I be able to reach the max speed provided in Shaw Broadband 50 with a WRT54G over WiFi?

Thanks.

edit: The reason I'm asking is I have 6 people living in the household. I need find some way to make sure that web surfing for homework, email etc, doesn't get affected by people who are streaming or downloading stuff.
Advertisement

Last edited by trd2343; 09-01-2013 at 04:03 PM.
trd2343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 07:17 PM   #2
Bieksa eats bears for breakfast...

Technically, only the Linksys router is affected by the QOS rules of the Asus router. However, since devices are pulling net traffic through the Linksys router, and the Linksys router is affected by the rules, it means that the overall traffic that the Linksys router is moving is going to be affected by the rule in place. So everyone that is connected to the Linksys will be affected by the kinds of activities that are happening on there. If you further have QOS rules on the Linksys, then it will further shape the traffic for devices connected to it. Why do you have two routers? Is one of them acting as a repeater?

Your second question: what kind of wifi? A,B,G, N? How big is the house and how far away are the devices? How many walls? Most likely you won't hit max speed if there are other users running things at the same time.

Your balls are sensitive things!! They shouldn't be played around with, at least not like that, and you should NOT BE DIPPING THEM IN AFTERSHAVE! Oh my god, I feel sorry for your balls!"

ODC: "Wrong, a roots type blower will produce max boost from 0rpm to redline."

Iceman_19: "A roots makes zero boost at zero rpm, lol"

Ulic Qel-Droma: "haha go google image big black dick. or black cock. i forgot which term i used. it's one of the many."
Iceman_2K is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-01-2013, 08:26 PM   #3

1. Perfect, that's what I'm looking for. I want the traffic through Linksys to be controlled by the Asus.

2. Coverage wise, it should be ok, since I got the 2 routers acting as an access point at different ends of the house, so I got the whole house essentially covered. You're right though, with 6 people living in the house, even with BB 50, I don't think I'll be able to hit 50 Mbps. WRT54G is G, while Asus RT-N66U is N.

Have you heard of Mikrotik? Only reason I'm considering the RT-N66U is because I need a router with a really good QOS to control traffic. I've never used Mikrotik before, but apparently it's a brand that sells business grade router?
Old 09-01-2013, 09:28 PM   #4
Got MOD?

What Iceman2k says is right. Everyone on the Linksys will be affected at the same time whenever anyone hits a QOS rule. A better way would be to disable the routing features on the Linksys and have the Asus route all traffic. The Linksys will just provide a wireless connection.

With all the users you have you won't max out the connection on the 54G. It is possible for users connected to the Asus though.
My Feedback (50-0-0)

!MiKrofT is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-01-2013, 10:20 PM   #5

Here's what I'm actually trying to do.

So right now, I have this set up

-> Ethernet cable

Shaw modem (north end of house) -> Linksys WRT54G (south end of house)

The Linksys router is configured as an access point, so all it does is receives internet and broadcast it wirelessly.

Problem is, I have 6 people living in my home, and neither the Shaw modem or the Linksys router have a good QOS firmware to control the traffic.

That's why I was thinking of inserting a the Asus router in between, since I've heard it has a very good QOS firmware. I'll be disabling the WiFi from the Shaw modem.

In the end, hopefully, whether someone's connected to the Asus, or the Linksys, will have to go through the rules set up by the Asus router.

While I was searching for QOS router, pfsense or Mikrotik popped up, so I'm just wondering if anyone have experience with those routers.
Old 09-01-2013, 10:46 PM   #6
Got MOD?

Haven't used Mikrotik before. It seems to be more for corporate networks. Pfsense is nice but way too much work to configure. It's a linux based firewall/router. The Asus should be fine. I own the N66U as well.
My Feedback (50-0-0)

This post thanked by:
Old 09-01-2013, 11:23 PM   #7
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
Is there a reason you would wanna use the Linksys for wifi only if the N66U will be doing a good job?

Buy the 66u, slap on shibby's firmware if the default QoS is not doing much..then retire the linksys
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 02:17 AM   #8
Got MOD?

^probably to increase wireless reception range in his house.
My Feedback (50-0-0)

Old 09-02-2013, 10:23 AM   #9

^Yup, that's exactly it. I've heard that the range on the Asus N66 is superb, so I might just take out the Linksys if I get almost full bar throughout the whole house.
Old 09-02-2013, 11:24 AM   #10
Got MOD?

^The range is definitely awesome on the N66U. I have it installed in a small community center and it's enough to get through the first and 2nd floors.
My Feedback (50-0-0)

This post thanked by:
Old 09-02-2013, 12:15 PM   #11

Nice. If you don't mind me asking, how big is the community centre? lol, I imagine it should be bigger than a 2000 sqt*ft house right?
Old 09-02-2013, 02:54 PM   #12
Got MOD?

Probably over 20000sqft. But that's including the Gym and basement which don't have wifi coverage. Plus we're looking at a lot of concrete.
My Feedback (50-0-0)

This post thanked by: