REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness (https://www.revscene.net/forums/sports-sports-entertainment-fitness_35/)
-   -   Alternatives to Whistler this season? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/687831-alternatives-whistler-season.html)

PeanutButter 09-01-2013 08:12 PM

Alternatives to Whistler this season?

I have just been put in charge of our winter snowboard trip this year for my friends.

Whistler is an easy option, which no one would complain about.. But, I want to try something different and was wondering if you guys had any suggestions? Big White, Mount Baker, etc?

I want to keep the price down, so i'm looking at a number of options.

Thanks

MikeHB 09-01-2013 08:59 PM

Not sure what you're hoping to spend but Hudson Bay mountain (Smithers) has unreal powder days if you're there at the right time. It's not like whistler, (small town but you can rent cabins on the hill or stay in town and drive up 30 mins). Obviously it will cost more to get there than a closer hill but passes will be cheaper!
Posted via RS Mobile

ziggyx 09-01-2013 10:42 PM

If you're looking to keep the price down and don't mind staying in old buildings then give hemlock valley a try. It's not super ghetto but its not super nice either, but hey it's cheap. I'm actually going there this year for my snowboarding trip. I've been to whistler and big white several times before for trips as well but hemlock valley has always been good times with my buddies. They don't really have internet or reception there either, which is good or bad depending on how you look at it. I think it's nice to get away from all that and just chill out with friends. It's also not too far, about 2 to 2.5 hours from vancouver.

In terms of slopes they don't have many lifts and runs as whistler or big white for sure, but it's definitely not as crowded either.

roastpuff 09-01-2013 10:50 PM

Big White is good for a group. I had fun there, the powder was much better than Whistler.
Posted via RS Mobile

suzuka84 09-01-2013 11:13 PM

if your friends are skibums and very into ski/snowboard - kicking horse resort in golden.

long trek but best experience ever (at least you're still in BC).

PeanutButter 09-01-2013 11:25 PM

Hemlock and Golden BC seem pretty neat. Smithers is too far, but thanks for the suggestion.

A friend also recommend Mt. Baker as it's close and he said the pow is better than Whistler. I've been looking into Mt. Baker (i've never been) and it looks promising!

nabs 09-02-2013 01:39 AM

If you want to make a nice little road trip and stay up in a cabin, APEX mountain seems pretty good. Just make sure you have em snow tires and a 4x4 when driving up the mountain :thumbsup:

PeP 09-02-2013 08:58 AM

Sun Peaks

Arguably better than Whistler/Blackcomb.
I've been there 5 times, each time was definitely the best of the season compared to other local mountain resorts.

Big mountain experience, and tons of locals who can show you the "back country" stuff.

punkwax 09-02-2013 09:14 AM

SilverStar is a cool mountain with a great village. Outdoor hockey rink, tubing area etc all within short walking distance. I've had some real good times up there with friends. I recommend checking it out. http://winter.skisilverstar.com/

If you want to do an island trip, Mount Washington - but Ferry costs add up..

Manning is good too... lots of choices!

Blayde 09-06-2013 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeHB (Post 8311869)
Not sure what you're hoping to spend but Hudson Bay mountain (Smithers) has unreal powder days if you're there at the right time. It's not like whistler, (small town but you can rent cabins on the hill or stay in town and drive up 30 mins). Obviously it will cost more to get there than a closer hill but passes will be cheaper!
Posted via RS Mobile

I'd have to say this as well! I'm a little biased, since I actually was born and raised in Smithers. This was my hill for a better part of my life, and I can't say enough good things about it.

Marshall Placid 09-06-2013 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nabs (Post 8311996)
If you want to make a nice little road trip and stay up in a cabin, APEX mountain seems pretty good. Just make sure you have em snow tires and a 4x4 when driving up the mountain :thumbsup:

Apex is great!

Wide slopes... great skiing.

And, the all-important white powder of course.

3 to 4 hour drive from Vancouver.

fishCak3s 09-09-2013 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeP (Post 8312063)
Sun Peaks

Arguably better than Whistler/Blackcomb.
I've been there 5 times, each time was definitely the best of the season compared to other local mountain resorts.

Big mountain experience, and tons of locals who can show you the "back country" stuff.

Been there twice and will be going back there again this year.