REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 09-05-2013, 10:21 PM   #26
rsx
Lomac owned my ass at least once

Thanked 3,463 Times in 820 Posts
What if someone takes a picture of you taking a picture of someone??? and on and on...
Would you risk getting busted yourself?
Advertisement
rsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:22 PM   #27
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

This is actually happening in Taiwan. People can take a picture/video of illegal acts ex. tossing garbage/butts out the window, cellphone/texting. but there is an reward for a ticket or prosecution. some people does this for living. heard a lot of them gets beat up haha.

my question: so if i find someone that took a picture of me. can i make them pull over and delete them? even though it is in public but i still can demand not to have my picture taken? also, can i now use pictures and videos to catch other illegal acts!?

i dont drive and text or talk on the phone but all of this is so unclear...
oaktree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:37 PM   #28
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Vicious View Post
why not richmond rcmp? we desperately need this!!!
This wouldnt do anything.. C-lais will crash regardless of texting/calling
Old 09-05-2013, 10:37 PM   #29
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,183 Times in 606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsx View Post
What if someone takes a picture of you taking a picture of someone??? and on and on...
It's a passenger who takes the picture.
Posted via RS Mobile
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-05-2013, 10:42 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Disick View Post
Victoria Police Chief Jamie Graham has made it clear this should only be done by someone in the passenger seat. He suggests passengers snap a photo of the distracted driver and their licence plate, if possible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsx View Post
clearly you didnt read it
Old 09-06-2013, 12:15 AM   #31
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 2,116 Times in 382 Posts
StaxBundlez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 12:39 AM   #32
rsx
Lomac owned my ass at least once

Thanked 3,463 Times in 820 Posts
caught.
rsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 02:27 AM   #33
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewie View Post
for me, I wouldn't have to worry, I actually stop at stop signs.

but day after day I see kids with N's on the back of their cars with a stereo cranked or a woman blabbing on a cellphone thats glued to the side of their head (coming home from Penticton on Monday, we drove almost 2 hours with the same 10-15 cars around us, the entire time this one broad had her phone at her ear). every time I see it I think to myself or say to whoevers with me in the car "look at this asshole...get off your fucking phone you douchebag".

if im driving down the road as a passenger and I see someone with a phone glued to their head, id love to snap a pic and send it in. if he doesn't get caught by police, he may go 5-10 years without being caught or end up in a severe accident, maybe him getting nipped in the butt will give him a wake up call sooner than later.

fuck it, cops asked for help with sending in photos for the riots, I don't see anything wrong with it happening with this.

my personal opinion, id be up for it. I don't break any laws so ive nothing to be worried about.
Are you seriously comparing the riots to someone texting while driving?

As someone who has actually sent in photos of rioters, I did it because those are real crimes people committed. They attacked people, they smashed windows, stole things, burned cars, etc. That's the same as someone sending a tweet?

Driving is easy. If you can't talk on a phone while driving, you probably shouldn't be driving at all. We can all talk on the phone while typing on a computer or writing on a pad. There are a huge number of things that are more difficult than driving than most of us do while talking on the phone on a regular basis.

My argument isn't that texting while driving is a good idea...it's that it makes almost no difference. A good driver will be able to drive regardless of what else he's doing. I once pulled a "Mr. Bean" and got dressed for work while driving. I used to regularly talk on the phone or text while driving before it was made illegal. I've been driving for 14 years and I've never been in an accident where I'm at all at fault.

This whole thing isn't about reducing accidents. It's the police seeing a new revenue stream by making a new ticketable offence. If they cared about people's lives, they'd make it more difficult for visored c-lais and other awful drivers to get on the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrariEnzo View Post
This wouldnt do anything.. C-lais will crash regardless of texting/calling
I know you're joking but...
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-06-2013, 09:08 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
Are you seriously comparing the riots to someone texting while driving?

As someone who has actually sent in photos of rioters, I did it because those are real crimes people committed. They attacked people, they smashed windows, stole things, burned cars, etc. That's the same as someone sending a tweet?

Driving is easy. If you can't talk on a phone while driving, you probably shouldn't be driving at all. We can all talk on the phone while typing on a computer or writing on a pad. There are a huge number of things that are more difficult than driving than most of us do while talking on the phone on a regular basis.

My argument isn't that texting while driving is a good idea...it's that it makes almost no difference. A good driver will be able to drive regardless of what else he's doing. I once pulled a "Mr. Bean" and got dressed for work while driving. I used to regularly talk on the phone or text while driving before it was made illegal. I've been driving for 14 years and I've never been in an accident where I'm at all at fault.

This whole thing isn't about reducing accidents. It's the police seeing a new revenue stream by making a new ticketable offence. If they cared about people's lives, they'd make it more difficult for visored c-lais and other awful drivers to get on the road.

I know you're joking but...
yes.

ive been accident free since the day I received my license when I was 16, 10 years ago.

when that family relative or friend of yours gets t boned at a red light from some jack ass trying to text his buddy. enjoy

and it does make a difference. I understand that lots of people can text while driving with no problem, hell, even I can, when im working ill use a laptop while driving to look up city blue prints. is it a cash grab? sure. but if this cash grab can potentially save someones life or prevent an injury to someone I know, then damn rights ill snap a pic. as for those c-lais and visored drivers with 8000 hello kitty dolls and figurines on their dash...don't even get me started with them lol...

theres a nifty little device people can buy from basically any store...wal mart...Costco...London drugs...its called hands free device. I gave one to my mom and dad called "blue ant". sync it with your phone, leave the device in your car, when you gget a call, you push the top button and it acts as a loud speaker and microphone. can hear quite easily and talk easily, would never even know they were using a hands free device
This post thanked by:
Old 09-07-2013, 11:41 PM   #35
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewie View Post
yes.

when im working ill use a laptop while driving to look up city blue prints.
you use a laptop when driving and are complaining about people texting while driving????

just an awful idea the only pictures you will get will be people changing a song at a red light or sending a text while stuck in bumper to bumper traffic
coolname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 01:05 AM   #36
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,616 Times in 899 Posts
Say this orwellian-report-your-fellow-citizen practice was to spread to the states - Would this spell the end of the Bang Bus while also providing the police with free pron pics? I don't think I could live with myself if that were to happen.
Old 09-08-2013, 04:21 PM   #37
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Interesting idea but will not work in the long run.

Sure if you come across some douchebag driver some people may be willing to put in the work for a charge but I will guarantee most will not.

As a witness you will need to provide:
-Statement
-Photos
-ATTEND COURT - this is the big one as it will be about 1 year down the road. You will no longer be angry at that douche driver. You will not want to miss 1 day of work and pay to charge some guy $167.

It's a loss for the rest of society because EVERYONE will dispute a traffic ticket that is not based on first hand Police evidence. The court time, officer time, judges time, administrative time all outweigh that $167 even on a successful conviction.
Brad Fuel is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-08-2013, 04:26 PM   #38
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 1,289 Times in 409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidnapman View Post
Protecting loved ones from distracted drivers should be more than enough of an incentive for anyone to do their part.
Taking pictures of people texting and driving is not saving lives, its making the police money.
Iceman-19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 04:32 PM   #39
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quite the opposite Iceman. It will be an overall loss in money by my prediction. When a ticket is issued, that money goes to the Province, not to the Police. I do not see this as a plausible cash grab as some may think.
Brad Fuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 04:44 PM   #40
MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD

Thanked 3,511 Times in 1,156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by negative.one View Post
Don't speak in absolutes. Of course there is judgement needed. Would you like to be given a ticket every time you don't come to a complete stop at a stop sign?
I'm sorry I had to...

Spoiler!
[03-07, 03:26] Yodamaster - The feeling when you quickly insert without hitting the sides
nabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:11 PM   #41
Bieksa eats bears for breakfast...

Not every photo is going to hold up in court - and if someone gets into an accident because they or their passenger is taking pictures of another driver, its just going to cause more problems. The bottom line is if you can't drive, then you shouldn't be driving to save your life, and others. I have just under 20 years of driving experience - there are people out there that have 40 or more, and they shouldn't even be on the road. Its not just people that have N's or c-lais - if you don't have the ability to use the vehicle, and are aware of the size and position of your vehicle, you shouldn't be driving. You're more of a danger to other drivers than someone who's using a hands free talking on their phone, or using voice dictation to send a text message. Another thing, if you are doing shoulder checks, using your rear or side mirrors, you're taking your eyes off the road for a small amount of time. If you can't even do any of these without getting into trouble - get off the road.

Your balls are sensitive things!! They shouldn't be played around with, at least not like that, and you should NOT BE DIPPING THEM IN AFTERSHAVE! Oh my god, I feel sorry for your balls!"

ODC: "Wrong, a roots type blower will produce max boost from 0rpm to redline."

Iceman_19: "A roots makes zero boost at zero rpm, lol"

Ulic Qel-Droma: "haha go google image big black dick. or black cock. i forgot which term i used. it's one of the many."
Iceman_2K is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-08-2013, 08:12 PM   #42
RS Veteran

Thanked 5,024 Times in 1,083 Posts
I live in Vic and see people on their phones and doing the head bob all the time.

I can see photos holding up in court if you see the phone. I doubt a picture of a driver looking down at their lap to text will hold up in court as proof.
Posted via RS Mobile
TouringTeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 09:00 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman_2K View Post
Not every photo is going to hold up in court - and if someone gets into an accident because they or their passenger is taking pictures of another driver, its just going to cause more problems. The bottom line is if you can't drive, then you shouldn't be driving to save your life, and others. I have just under 20 years of driving experience - there are people out there that have 40 or more, and they shouldn't even be on the road. Its not just people that have N's or c-lais - if you don't have the ability to use the vehicle, and are aware of the size and position of your vehicle, you shouldn't be driving. You're more of a danger to other drivers than someone who's using a hands free talking on their phone, or using voice dictation to send a text message. Another thing, if you are doing shoulder checks, using your rear or side mirrors, you're taking your eyes off the road for a small amount of time. If you can't even do any of these without getting into trouble - get off the road.

the roads would be so nice and empty lol, it would be like driving through ghost towns hah.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-08-2013, 09:21 PM   #44
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,831 Times in 587 Posts
Does this mean I can start sending the police pics of there own officers on there cell phones while driving?

Not sure how well that would go over but I do have a nice collection of them.
BoostedBB6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:13 PM   #45
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
"Holy facebooking texters Batman, let's don our helmets, and utilize these safe bike lanes to capture these in-touch communicators and put them behind bars forever!"

"Easy does it Robin, because the local constabulary has citizens themselves send in photos of people like this so we can capture the real criminals of Gothvic City-anything happening in a Tim Horton's parking lot"
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:37 PM   #46
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

so... if I see a guy on his phone while driving, I take out my phone to take a picture of him. What if I crash or cause an accident while taking a picture? Can I say it's not my fault because the police urged me to do this? What a stupid idea.
Old 09-09-2013, 07:30 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by J____ View Post
so... if I see a guy on his phone while driving, I take out my phone to take a picture of him. What if I crash or cause an accident while taking a picture? Can I say it's not my fault because the police urged me to do this? What a stupid idea.
Clearly you didnt READ the OP or other people who said the same thing...
Old 09-09-2013, 07:39 AM   #48
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,793 Times in 1,761 Posts
Jamie Graham is full of great ideas.

Like leaving a loaded gun under the seat of his car.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:11 AM   #49
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,510 Times in 4,902 Posts
Kind of off topic, but I hate it when people drive in the HOV lane across the Port Mann. I'm no angel myself, but I draw the line at driving on HOV when alone. Anyway, my dashcam catch these HOV cheaters all the time. They switch just before the overhead recorders and switch back right after to save money. My dash cam records them doing it along with their license plate. Time stamped, too. I have not done this yet, but I would like to send in the footage. TreO can look up the license plate and when the car crossed the bridge, etc.

I'm no snitch, but it irks me to no end knowing these people are getting away with it. Like I said, I haven't done anything about it. I would laugh if TreO gets a hold of the person and say, "You have gone across the Port Mann Bridge 95 times in the HOV lane, you owe the people of British Columbia xx dollars." Never going to happen, but whatevers......

HOV cheaters, in my books, are right up there with people who go into Duty Free shops to get ahead - while other honest drivers wait for hours. It's like butting into a long lineup for a movie. Most people wouldn't do that, so why is it OK to do that in a vehicle?

/rant
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:27 AM   #50

Spoiler!

wasn't there a story about a motorcyclist who was caught on a toll bridge (no clue if it was here or not)? every time he would get near he'd reach back and fold his plate up so they couldn't see it. eventually he finally got busted and they made him pay for every single trip he had gone on at once.

as for the hov cheaters, try that on the Barnett hwy in rush hour lol. as for duty free, I simply wont let those people in, i'll sit 12" from the bumper of the car infront of me just so they cant get ahead. same as a highway entrance (specifically hastings going westbound) its a merge lane that merges onto the hwy, traffics backed up, they know it, cars sit in the middle of two lanes to prevent cars from sneaking up the sides while everyone else had to wait, yet the assholes still go around you on the shoulder to the very first car and just merge in like they did nothing wrong..assholes.

anyways, get up beside those drivers, shout at them saying its a citizens arrest, and send those videos in lol