REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Pedestrians watch as thieves steal bike in broad daylight (https://www.revscene.net/forums/688009-pedestrians-watch-thieves-steal-bike-broad-daylight.html)

i-vtecyo 09-06-2013 10:36 PM

Pedestrians watch as thieves steal bike in broad daylight

Shocking video: Vancouver bike theft in broad daylight | CTV British Columbia News

:fulloffuck:
I can understand that they probably didnt want to approach the thieves with a swinging axe, but at least call 911..

StylinRed 09-06-2013 11:07 PM

most probably assumed it was the owner hacking away because they lost their key

who would expect 3 guys hacking away with an axe in the middle of the day would be thieves

and who would approach them if they thought they were thieves? nor would they want to look like they're calling the police

+ given the neighbourhood (its a block away from pigeon park!)

im surprised there were no police there in the first place since they're always patrolling the area

subordinate 09-06-2013 11:17 PM

Exactly, the demographics of the area speak for themselves. Why are they going to give 2 shits.

And dude's swinging an axe....I ain't stepping in.

mickz 09-06-2013 11:37 PM

Why are the police surprised nobody did anything about it? Yeah I see three guys hacking at a bike lock with an axe right now. Just let me walk up to the emergency phone right beside it and report them.

i-vtecyo 09-07-2013 12:12 AM

true, who would dare to use the emergency phone right beside it. However, they could have just walked away & called with their cell phones. I guess its no surprise since i heard many car accident stories with no one wanting to pull over to help out or to become a witness.

ziggyx 09-07-2013 12:34 AM

Let's say the bike is yours and you did actually lose the key to it. If you were actually hacking away at the bike lock and a cop shows up, how do you prove to the cop it's actually your bike right on the spot??

godwin 09-07-2013 12:55 AM

He can buy a $1400 bike twice (since he replaced it).. and he still goes to the Portland Community Dental Clinic not to volunteer but for an appointment? REALLY?

The real story should be cheap but well off dude hogging on meagre DTES resources... someone should call the anti gentrification circus.

I assume there are other Portland Hotel or DTES residents that need those services more and can't afford the bikes.

I guess that's why someone took it in the first place?

Someone should send him to that underground dentist!

:fulloffuck:

Lomac 09-07-2013 01:00 AM

I've broken into numerous friends cars before in broad daylight after they lost their keys or locked them inside the car. And I was doing it with the whole bent coat hanger trick, being quite obvious. Don't think anyone has ever called the cops on me before for looking suspicious.

Guess the easiest way to steal something is to do it in broad daylight and make it seem like you have every right to be there, doing it. /shrug

SkinnyPupp 09-07-2013 03:51 AM

It's not like someone is getting attacked... I'd film the guy or something but I'm not going to stop a guy with an axe to save someone else's bike, sorry

Marco911 09-07-2013 05:40 AM

It's the downtown eastside. Downtown Eastsiders think they're entitled to free things, like needles and shopping carts.

UFO 09-07-2013 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by godwin (Post 8315383)
He can buy a $1400 bike twice (since he replaced it).. and he still goes to the Portland Community Dental Clinic not to volunteer but for an appointment? REALLY?

The real story should be cheap but well off dude hogging on meagre DTES resources... someone should call the anti gentrification circus.

Odds are if he really valued an expensive bike like that or he wouldn't be locking it to a parking meter or leaving it unattended.

I'm guessing the first time he bought the bike with EI money, maybe the second time he replaced the bike he paid 'street value' for it ;)

4444 09-07-2013 09:11 AM

I wouldn't physically gt involved, but I'd call the cops and take some pics of it - I wouldn't expect someone to approach a mental with an axe... But cops are closely there as it is the ghetto

Mind u, of those passerbys, how many we're crack addicts? In that area, I question the quality of ppl and their ability to think 'that's wrong' - not sure what happens when ur f'd up on whatever the drug of choice is in dtes

E-SPEC 09-07-2013 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lomac (Post 8315386)
I've broken into numerous friends cars before in broad daylight after they lost their keys or locked them inside the car. And I was doing it with the whole bent coat hanger trick, being quite obvious. Don't think anyone has ever called the cops on me before for looking suspicious.

Guess the easiest way to steal something is to do it in broad daylight and make it seem like you have every right to be there, doing it. /shrug

Seeing someone using the coat hanger trick on a window always looks legit to me eveytime i see it.

E-SPEC 09-07-2013 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marco911 (Post 8315439)
It's the downtown eastside. Downtown Eastsiders think they're entitled to free things, like needles and shopping carts.

Shopping carts? I happen to know they buy those in the store for a quarter or a dollar.. lol but most likely they walked off a lot w/ them.

Chronix 09-07-2013 09:41 AM

Quote:

and free methodone

AzNightmare 09-08-2013 11:33 AM

If you get one of those construction vest.
Guarantee no one will even question you.

People will just assume you work for the city and removing a bike that's locked in an "illegal bike locking area"
Posted via RS Mobile

twitchyzero 09-08-2013 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by godwin (Post 8315383)

As a past volunteer... I was thinking the exact same thing. $1400 bike and goes for free dental care...i don't feel too bad for him at all.

dvst8 09-08-2013 09:20 PM

I wouldnt confront a guy with an axe. I would at least call the cops.

godwin 09-10-2013 02:25 PM

From the perspective of a society as a whole. It is cheaper to offer free services like dental, needles etc. especially since we have "universal healthcare" Teeth cleaning is like $100 vs a few nights at ER at St. Pauls of antibiotics and drip from a tooth infection, a thousand plus. Or Insite that has a few 80k nurses to supervise injection vs fire, ambulance and police very time when there is an OD.

The problem I have in this instance is an obviously well off person is taking advantage of that free resource.

Quote:

lowside67 09-10-2013 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 8315426)
It's not like someone is getting attacked... I'd film the guy or something but I'm not going to stop a guy with an axe to save someone else's bike, sorry

I don't expect you or anybody else to endure bodily harm and fight a guy with an axe to save a bike.

But I don't think it's unreasonable to ask that you give 0.01% of a shit about another human being who actually might miss having their bike. All you have to do is pull out your non-Apple cell phone that you love so much and call somebody whose job it might be to check out situations like these. You literally don't even stop walking, you just keep going, and call as you are going.

Jesus Christ, the amount of non-care that human beings have for others these days is absolutely absurd.

Mark

subordinate 09-10-2013 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowside67 (Post 8317532)
I don't expect you or anybody else to endure bodily harm and fight a guy with an axe to save a bike.

But I don't think it's unreasonable to ask that you give 0.01% of a shit about another human being who actually might miss having their bike. All you have to do is pull out your non-Apple cell phone that you love so much and call somebody whose job it might be to check out situations like these. You literally don't even stop walking, you just keep going, and call as you are going.

Jesus Christ, the amount of non-care that human beings have for others these days is absolutely absurd.

Mark

I use to care.....
I still do, but it'd have to involve animals or a human being. Material items, I can flip a coin on it, given the circumstances. Just being honest.