REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 09-06-2013, 10:36 PM   #1
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Pedestrians watch as thieves steal bike in broad daylight

Shocking video: Vancouver bike theft in broad daylight | CTV British Columbia News

I can understand that they probably didnt want to approach the thieves with a swinging axe, but at least call 911..
Advertisement
i-vtecyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 11:07 PM   #2
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,381 Times in 3,907 Posts
most probably assumed it was the owner hacking away because they lost their key

who would expect 3 guys hacking away with an axe in the middle of the day would be thieves

and who would approach them if they thought they were thieves? nor would they want to look like they're calling the police

+ given the neighbourhood (its a block away from pigeon park!)

im surprised there were no police there in the first place since they're always patrolling the area
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-06-2013, 11:17 PM   #3
My homepage has been set to RS

Exactly, the demographics of the area speak for themselves. Why are they going to give 2 shits.

And dude's swinging an axe....I ain't stepping in.
subordinate is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-06-2013, 11:37 PM   #4
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Why are the police surprised nobody did anything about it? Yeah I see three guys hacking at a bike lock with an axe right now. Just let me walk up to the emergency phone right beside it and report them.
Old 09-07-2013, 12:12 AM   #5
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

true, who would dare to use the emergency phone right beside it. However, they could have just walked away & called with their cell phones. I guess its no surprise since i heard many car accident stories with no one wanting to pull over to help out or to become a witness.

Last edited by i-vtecyo; 09-07-2013 at 12:22 AM.
i-vtecyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 12:34 AM   #6
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 2,237 Times in 251 Posts
Let's say the bike is yours and you did actually lose the key to it. If you were actually hacking away at the bike lock and a cop shows up, how do you prove to the cop it's actually your bike right on the spot??
ziggyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 12:55 AM   #7
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
He can buy a $1400 bike twice (since he replaced it).. and he still goes to the Portland Community Dental Clinic not to volunteer but for an appointment? REALLY?

The real story should be cheap but well off dude hogging on meagre DTES resources... someone should call the anti gentrification circus.

I assume there are other Portland Hotel or DTES residents that need those services more and can't afford the bikes.

I guess that's why someone took it in the first place?

Someone should send him to that underground dentist!

Last edited by godwin; 09-07-2013 at 01:27 AM.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-07-2013, 01:00 AM   #8
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
I've broken into numerous friends cars before in broad daylight after they lost their keys or locked them inside the car. And I was doing it with the whole bent coat hanger trick, being quite obvious. Don't think anyone has ever called the cops on me before for looking suspicious.

Guess the easiest way to steal something is to do it in broad daylight and make it seem like you have every right to be there, doing it. /shrug
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 03:51 AM   #9
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,812 Times in 8,187 Posts
It's not like someone is getting attacked... I'd film the guy or something but I'm not going to stop a guy with an axe to save someone else's bike, sorry
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-07-2013, 05:40 AM   #10
Marcosexual Fan Club, CEO

It's the downtown eastside. Downtown Eastsiders think they're entitled to free things, like needles and shopping carts.
Old 09-07-2013, 08:30 AM   #11
UFO
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwin View Post
He can buy a $1400 bike twice (since he replaced it).. and he still goes to the Portland Community Dental Clinic not to volunteer but for an appointment? REALLY?

The real story should be cheap but well off dude hogging on meagre DTES resources... someone should call the anti gentrification circus.
Odds are if he really valued an expensive bike like that or he wouldn't be locking it to a parking meter or leaving it unattended.

I'm guessing the first time he bought the bike with EI money, maybe the second time he replaced the bike he paid 'street value' for it
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:11 AM   #12
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
I wouldn't physically gt involved, but I'd call the cops and take some pics of it - I wouldn't expect someone to approach a mental with an axe... But cops are closely there as it is the ghetto

Mind u, of those passerbys, how many we're crack addicts? In that area, I question the quality of ppl and their ability to think 'that's wrong' - not sure what happens when ur f'd up on whatever the drug of choice is in dtes
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:17 AM   #13
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
I've broken into numerous friends cars before in broad daylight after they lost their keys or locked them inside the car. And I was doing it with the whole bent coat hanger trick, being quite obvious. Don't think anyone has ever called the cops on me before for looking suspicious.

Guess the easiest way to steal something is to do it in broad daylight and make it seem like you have every right to be there, doing it. /shrug
Seeing someone using the coat hanger trick on a window always looks legit to me eveytime i see it.
E-SPEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:19 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco911 View Post
It's the downtown eastside. Downtown Eastsiders think they're entitled to free things, like needles and shopping carts.
Shopping carts? I happen to know they buy those in the store for a quarter or a dollar.. lol but most likely they walked off a lot w/ them.
E-SPEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:41 AM   #15

Thanked 5,158 Times in 579 Posts
Quote:
and free methodone
Chronix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 11:33 AM   #16
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,985 Times in 1,690 Posts
If you get one of those construction vest.
Guarantee no one will even question you.

People will just assume you work for the city and removing a bike that's locked in an "illegal bike locking area"
Posted via RS Mobile
AzNightmare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 11:52 AM   #17
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,819 Times in 3,901 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by godwin View Post
As a past volunteer... I was thinking the exact same thing. $1400 bike and goes for free dental care...i don't feel too bad for him at all.
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-08-2013, 09:20 PM   #18
I don't get it

I wouldnt confront a guy with an axe. I would at least call the cops.
dvst8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 02:25 PM   #19
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
From the perspective of a society as a whole. It is cheaper to offer free services like dental, needles etc. especially since we have "universal healthcare" Teeth cleaning is like $100 vs a few nights at ER at St. Pauls of antibiotics and drip from a tooth infection, a thousand plus. Or Insite that has a few 80k nurses to supervise injection vs fire, ambulance and police very time when there is an OD.

The problem I have in this instance is an obviously well off person is taking advantage of that free resource.

Quote:

Last edited by godwin; 09-10-2013 at 03:10 PM.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 03:07 PM   #20
Old School RS

Thanked 3,947 Times in 1,202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
It's not like someone is getting attacked... I'd film the guy or something but I'm not going to stop a guy with an axe to save someone else's bike, sorry
I don't expect you or anybody else to endure bodily harm and fight a guy with an axe to save a bike.

But I don't think it's unreasonable to ask that you give 0.01% of a shit about another human being who actually might miss having their bike. All you have to do is pull out your non-Apple cell phone that you love so much and call somebody whose job it might be to check out situations like these. You literally don't even stop walking, you just keep going, and call as you are going.

Jesus Christ, the amount of non-care that human beings have for others these days is absolutely absurd.

Mark
Old 09-10-2013, 03:14 PM   #21
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowside67 View Post
I don't expect you or anybody else to endure bodily harm and fight a guy with an axe to save a bike.

But I don't think it's unreasonable to ask that you give 0.01% of a shit about another human being who actually might miss having their bike. All you have to do is pull out your non-Apple cell phone that you love so much and call somebody whose job it might be to check out situations like these. You literally don't even stop walking, you just keep going, and call as you are going.

Jesus Christ, the amount of non-care that human beings have for others these days is absolutely absurd.

Mark
I use to care.....
I still do, but it'd have to involve animals or a human being. Material items, I can flip a coin on it, given the circumstances. Just being honest.
subordinate is offline   Reply With Quote