REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Vacations and World Travel

Vacations and World Travel Visiting our beautiful city? Come stay at the Arbutus Vista - Vancouver's Bed & Breakfast.
How was your trip? Which tour packages would you recommend/avoid? Must do's and must eats? Share tips, photos and experiences with other senior RS members who just want to get away..

Old 11-20-2013, 09:32 AM   #51
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,696 Times in 1,625 Posts
I'd prepare to lay down at least 10%, unless they're "exotic" items, like furs or like that.

What exactly is it, out of curiosity?? 3 items worth 10K??
Advertisement
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 10:27 AM   #52
G
Banned (BBM)

Purses/accessories

Some women...
G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 02:50 PM   #53
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by G View Post
Purses/accessories

Some women...
if it's single item that's costing you that much, you will most likely get raped at the customs. They will specifically look for Chanel, LV and other luxury brand items. Although it might seem expensive here, some of those purses are most likely a LOT more expensive in Korea. From what I've heard, people can sell luxury items bought from Paris back in Korea for double or even triple the original price. Customs will look for those items and will tax you 50% for luxury watches and jewelries. I am not 100% sure what the rates are for the purses but my guess would be somewhere in the similar ballpark. Should you not declare what you bring in, they can confiscate your item or at the least, tax you 30% more on top of proposed tax rate. In short, don't bring it. It's not worth the headache.
chinook79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 03:00 PM   #54

According to Customs Korea, they've caught 140,000 cases of people trying to bring in items without declaring it in 2011. Amongst it, 44,000 was luxury item of which 80% of it was purses. Also, according to customs, failure to declare items could result in penalty up to 5 years in prison or 10 times proposed tax rate or value of item, whichever is higher and confiscating of item. Should you declare the item, from another website, people were saying that they paid 20% of original price in tax for Chanel bag.

Hope that helps.
Old 11-20-2013, 04:25 PM   #55
G
Banned (BBM)

^Thanks, I know it is very troublesome, but it is a gift and is already bought haha.. I guess I will need to declare it. The stupid thing is, I wonder if they will understand that I am not selling it and that I am just carrying it during my travels as South Korea is a 5 day stopover from my original itinerary. Nevertheless, I guess I should be prepared to pay, from what it seems like, around 30% tax?
Old 11-20-2013, 04:33 PM   #56

Walk through customs with the bag on your shoulder, and say it's yours

To them, it'll sound like you're lying, especially because of your short duration.

Why don't you ship it by air to Hong Kong? Also, if you pass through Korea to HK, wouldn't you then pay tax on it AGAIN when you enter HK?
Old 11-20-2013, 04:57 PM   #57
G
Banned (BBM)

From my understanding, I do not need to declare anything in HK because they do not have duties.

"HKSAR is a free port and does not levy any Customs tariff on imports and exports. Excise duties are levied only on four types of dutiable commodities,"

Friends and family tell me that since I am just a visitor in Korea that I can just not declare it since I have proof with my plane tickets that I am just visiting and my luggage is my belongings...

Last edited by G; 11-20-2013 at 05:03 PM.
Old 11-20-2013, 08:23 PM   #58

Your plane ticket does not prove that you won't be selling luxury items in Korea or at least it doesn't prove that the item won't be staying in Korea after you leave without being taxed.
You can try, but I'd probably go with direct shipping method to HK as someone mentioned earlier.
Old 11-20-2013, 11:27 PM   #59

Yup - friends and family are going to cost you a pretty penny if you do with what you're saying.

Korea IS cracking down on "illegal" imports of luxury goods, and a 30% penalty on top of tax is what you're looking at if you don't declare, and get caught.

If you're rolling in money, then please do go ahead and make a sizeable (relatively) donation to Korea...if not, then really, just ship it by registered (and obviously insured) parcel to HK directly.
Old 11-21-2013, 08:28 AM   #60
G
Banned (BBM)

Blahhhhh that stinks, thanks for the tips and information though. I greatly appreciate it!

If I really do need to pay 30% tax on my good, its actually cheaper for me to buy a plane ticket to fly to HK directly haha... sigh...
Old 12-03-2013, 10:38 AM   #61
G
Banned (BBM)

Got a response from customs korea:

Quote:
Dear G, You don't have to pay any taxes on the goods when you follow the import procedures at the airport. Also you can deposit the goods temporarily to Customs and get it back when you leave. In that case that might cause you to pay some fees. Best Regards,

[ Disclaimer ] 1. The above reply, not as an authoritative interpretation, decision, or judgment, to an internet-enquiry is being made in a legally non-binding manner, and can not be used as a basis of complaints, appeals, or any other related legal disputes with Korea Customs Service. 2. The reply is being made solely and entirely based on the very information provided by an enquirer, and Korea Customs Service shall not accept any liability for the accuracy or content, and enquirers who rely on the above information do so at their own risk. 3. More accurate and detailed information IN KOREAN shall be obtained through the internet (??? ??????) or telephonic (1577-8577) enquiry IN KOREAN to the dedicated professional staff at Customs Customer Service Center (National Call Center)

THAT disclaimer.. -_-
Old 12-03-2013, 12:15 PM   #62

Hahaha - that disclaimer basically says that the response has very little meaning...lol.

That being said, the option of them holding it there seems to be the route you should look into further, assuming you're flying out of the same airport.
Old 12-04-2013, 08:53 PM   #63
G
Banned (BBM)

Yep. It's all been resolved though, I have someone flying straight to HKG so it aint my problem anymore!

Also, yea, its pretty much, here is a response but I may or may not be telling the truth. I also don't know if I trust luxury goods in other peoples hands :P
Old 12-12-2013, 12:05 AM   #64
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

I'll be flying from YVR to South Korea on Air Canada, I saw on their site they offer complimentary spirits for international flights. Does anyone know what spirits they offer? I'm assuming only wine and beer, also I presume it's not unlimited. Could anyone chime in on this? Thanks in advance
fuhkyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 08:45 PM   #65
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuhkyu View Post
I'll be flying from YVR to South Korea on Air Canada, I saw on their site they offer complimentary spirits for international flights. Does anyone know what spirits they offer? I'm assuming only wine and beer, also I presume it's not unlimited. Could anyone chime in on this? Thanks in advance
i can't answer about the types of spirits since i've never flown air canada but my experience with other international flights is that alcohol is usually unlimited from my understanding.
Jer3 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-12-2013, 08:48 PM   #66
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,402 Times in 552 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuhkyu View Post
It is "unlimited" as long as you don't look like you're plastered or start acting like an idiot on board. FA's have the right to refuse service. Honestly, I wouldn't recommend drinking too terribly much on a trans-pacific flight. Been there and it wasn't as good as I thoughtd itd be

A flight to vegas though, sign me up for the booze.
Teriyaki is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-08-2014, 06:39 PM   #67
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 1,399 Times in 396 Posts
Anyone tried a Kiss Bang in Korea before?
v_tec is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-09-2014, 10:05 AM   #68
My homepage has been set to RS

does anyone know of any updated good tour packages for korea? i plan to stay there for 2 weeks, but i only want the tour 6-8 nights as i have friends there i can stay with and show me around the rest of the time. silkway travel has 6 night tour package but i don't understand mandarin (i'm going with a friend who knows mandarin but i don't want him to translate everything for me), air canada has good tour package in english but it's freaking $3k. want jeju island in there..busan.. thks
FatalCloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 12:20 AM   #69
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by v_tec View Post
Anyone tried a Kiss Bang in Korea before?
No. But when I was in Seoul, a local business partner brought me to this place with 2 girls. One had a mask and then...

Needless to say, they became one of our vendors
Old 11-28-2014, 03:17 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatalCloud View Post
does anyone know of any updated good tour packages for korea? i plan to stay there for 2 weeks, but i only want the tour 6-8 nights as i have friends there i can stay with and show me around the rest of the time. silkway travel has 6 night tour package but i don't understand mandarin (i'm going with a friend who knows mandarin but i don't want him to translate everything for me), air canada has good tour package in english but it's freaking $3k. want jeju island in there..busan.. thks
tours are for old people. korea is accessible enough without any extra guidance in my opinion. if they don't understand english, there's a good chance your mandarin friend can speak to the locals as a lot of people speak chinese as well.
Jer3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 03:10 PM   #71
G
Banned (BBM)

Out of curiosity, anyone in Seoul or South Korea right now?

I am leaving in a couple of days and have seen a couple protests going on, just wondering how safe it is and if there are any sites that would display when they have these rally's for us to avoid.

Thanks!
Old 11-24-2016, 10:25 AM   #72

^ its pretty safe in korea, even more so than parts of Canada
crowds are well behaved. most rallys' happen on weekend and evenings. mostly seoul near cheonggyecheon area near govt offices. (not korean but been thr 17-18 times)
Rallydrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 10:40 AM   #73

I have a layover in Korea for 24 hours, what to do? where to stay? I arrive at night
pb.kidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 04:05 PM   #74
ZN6

Thanked 1,731 Times in 649 Posts
24 hours?? uh, stay in hondae area. people party it up there until like 5am. It was weird when everything started opening at 11pm and it's because people stay up late and wake up late.

It's where all the young people go and it's a bumping area. More so than Gangnam. Gangnam is more of a grown up place for people to spend money. Myongdong is a place to get ripped off as a tourist.

If there's only 24 hours, spend it in Hongdae. Everywhere else is meh.
ZN6 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-12-2017, 04:28 PM   #75

Keep in mind Hongdae is like 19~25 age range, it is where a university is after all.
So if you're in your late 30s you might feel slightly out of place.

Really depends what you want to check out. Korea is filled with shit to do at night, as ^ said, until the sun comes up.
This post thanked by: