REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Employment Resources

Employment Resources THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Revscene-opolis
Share job postings, network, workplace humour or politics..

Old 09-09-2013, 07:37 PM   #1
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,275 Times in 434 Posts
Working in the US

Hey guys,

I'm trying to figure out which direction I want to go in my career and there seems to be a lot more work that interests me down south.

Does anyone have any experience working down there? I'm still in the early stages of researching on what needs to be done. I know I've got to apply for a visa and get the paperwork done in order for me to work down there. Is there anything else that needs to be done?

If I do get a job down there, how do the taxes work? Will I still be paying taxes in Canada or will I only need to pay US taxes? I was reading about the tax treaties but it wasn't very clear.

Thanks guys!
Advertisement
ForbiddenX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:37 PM   #2
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForbiddenX View Post

If I do get a job down there, how do the taxes work? Will I still be paying taxes in Canada or will I only need to pay US taxes? I was reading about the tax treaties but it wasn't very clear.

Thanks guys!
I believe it's a 15% tax treaty between canada and states. yes you will pay two taxes.

be prepared to shell out some good coin for accountants canadian and us (Facet Advisors in Langley are somewhat affordable compared to say KPMG. Also a small firm named AmeriTax as well) - it won't be the diy turbo-tax shit.

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-09-2013, 09:36 PM   #3

Thanked 2,751 Times in 1,182 Posts
I'm not sure how long, but my friend (a US/CA dual citizen) went to work in US and he declared non-resident status here. And he no longer had to file any taxes.

If you are planning to go down there semi-permanently, I'd think that's the way to go.
Old 09-11-2013, 06:33 AM   #4
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Does non-resident status work both ways? My mother has dual citizenship she hasn't lived in the US for 50 years and has never worked there but she has to file taxes in both Countries. She has to use an accountant and it costs he a bunch of money every single year.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-11-2013, 08:50 AM   #5
Say NO to blade grinders!

Thanked 1,256 Times in 580 Posts
I think the best route is to actually land a job and get the your potential company to process the paperwork for you.
Expresso is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-11-2013, 12:19 PM   #6
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,502 Times in 4,307 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HachiSix View Post
I think the best route is to actually land a job and get the your potential company to process the paperwork for you.
This.

It's a bit of a chicken or the egg kind of thing when applying to work in the US.

You can't really get a work permit unless you can prove you that you have a job offer and sometimes, you can't really get a job unless you have a work permit. While this isn't always the case, most of the times, it is.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-11-2013, 12:39 PM   #7
Say NO to blade grinders!

Thanked 1,256 Times in 580 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
This.

It's a bit of a chicken or the egg kind of thing when applying to work in the US.

You can't really get a work permit unless you can prove you that you have a job offer and sometimes, you can't really get a job unless you have a work permit. While this isn't always the case, most of the times, it is.
Yea agree, the US looks very down on giving away jobs to foreigners.
Expresso is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-11-2013, 12:42 PM   #8
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,502 Times in 4,307 Posts
Gotta be king shit, bro.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 11:19 PM   #9
I subscribe to the Revscene NWS thread(s)

For your first year, you'll probably have to file in both countries as you'll likely have earned income in both Canada and the US. The classification of which country you're a resident is based on which country you've spent 183 days in. (that's basically half the year)

You'll definitely need your visa first before you can do anything else like get a Social Security number (so you can get paid or open a bank account).

If you're paying for this out of pocket, then I'd suggest starting with trying to get a TN visa. (I'm assuming you're going for some sort of professional job) It's cheap (around $50 when I did it) and doesn't require a whole lot of work to get. You can probably do it without any immigration lawyers as long as you meet the requirements. Once you're settled in and have an employer, you can then have them sponsor you for a visa or green card.
syee is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-19-2013, 12:22 PM   #10

Thanked 1,275 Times in 434 Posts
Thanks for all the information guys. I'm still doing my research but I think I'm going to try my best to get a job down there.

Sucks that I'd have to pay double taxes for a little while, but I guess it makes sense.
ForbiddenX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 12:28 PM   #11
I subscribe to the Revscene NWS thread(s)

You're not paying double taxes. While you file in both countries, you'll get tax credits for what you've already paid in the "other" country (your country of residence)
Posted via RS Mobile
syee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 05:01 PM   #12

Thanked 2,751 Times in 1,182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post
Does non-resident status work both ways? My mother has dual citizenship she hasn't lived in the US for 50 years and has never worked there but she has to file taxes in both Countries. She has to use an accountant and it costs he a bunch of money every single year.
No. US requires its citizen or residents to file taxes every year even there is no income at all and the location he/she lives.

I have come across a few ex-US citizen who lived their entire life in Canada renounced their US citizenship for the reason of not having to deal with US tax thing anymore.
Old 09-20-2013, 05:06 PM   #13
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
No. US requires its citizen or residents to file taxes every year even there is no income at all and the location he/she lives.

I have come across a few ex-US citizen who lived their entire life in Canada renounced their US citizenship for the reason of not having to deal with US tax thing anymore.
You are also subject to US income tax no matter where you live in the world. I've been researching working in Dubai after college, and if I remember what I read on the Canuckabroad forums, if you don't have income or property in Canada, and you've been working and living abroad for a certain period of time, you are exempt from Canadian taxes.
TatsuyaKataoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 03:46 PM   #14
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

If you get a job offer from big companies like Microsoft or Google, they will handle the visa for you.

You pay the difference in the income tax %
e.g. Pay 30% in usa, then pay the 5% extra to Canadian gov
370z370z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 03:48 PM   #15
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 370z370z View Post
If you get a job offer from big companies like Microsoft or Google, they will handle the visa for you.

You pay the difference in the income tax %
e.g. Pay 30% in usa, then pay the 5% extra to Canadian gov
Why would you want to pay the Canadian government? Just declare non-resident status.
noclue is offline   Reply With Quote