REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 09-10-2013, 10:56 PM   #26
My homepage has been set to RS

Agreed, that's elder abuse.
Advertisement
subordinate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:58 PM   #27
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,121 Times in 669 Posts
only thing I dont understand is.. why did he walk up to ask officers instead of some random pedestrian thats at the platform.
xilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:19 PM   #28
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

So many one-sided replies here. How exactly were the officers supposed to know if gramps can't communicate in English with them?

I'd call in and politely explain the situation.

Cars:
02' Lexus IS300 5spd
07' BMW 323iA
05' BMW Z4 5spd
06' BMW 330i 6spd
10' Audi A4 quattro
08' BMW M3 6spd
15' Kawasaki Ninja300
08' Yamaha R6
10' Honda Ridgeline
17' Audi Q5
16' BMW X5D

bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:23 PM   #29
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

He may have went up to the officers because for translink. Who else knows the system better than the employees that work there? His grandpa may have thought it would've been an hassle to bother random bypassers
Posted via RS Mobile
sekin67835 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-11-2013, 02:47 AM   #30
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by parm104 View Post
Can't believe your family let you go to Germany for 2 days without knowing a lick of English. No sense of responsibility these days...

Grandpa should sue family for being negligent and letting him use public transportation without knowing English. Translink should sue grandpa because grandpa should have bothered to ask random strangers instead of bothering official employees in uniform who regulate the rules of Translink.

I'll call Sall...
Funny thing I had problems at a McDonald's in Germany.
Old 09-11-2013, 02:55 AM   #31
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

I can't blame your grandpa for having issues inserting the faresavers. I take the transit quite regularly and I had issues inserting it correctly at times. I even encountered numerous times where regular riders having the same issues inserting it 4x and still get it wrong resorting to the driver inserting it for them.

It's crazy how specific it has to be inserted.
jerche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 04:41 AM   #32
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilley View Post
only thing I dont understand is.. why did he walk up to ask officers instead of some random pedestrian thats at the platform.
When I take subways in other countries, and need help with directions or fare, I prefer to ask transit people for help. I will be more confident their answer is more correct (rather than a rushed response from commuters)
Gnomes is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-11-2013, 07:24 AM   #33

Thanked 2,454 Times in 813 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImportPsycho View Post
my grandpa, oversea visitor, who does not speak English
Quote:
He has BC DL,

The ticket will prevent him from renewing his license. Until the ticket is either paid or disputed and the case is completed, you can't renew.
[17-03, 09:23] Amuro Ray is it normal for my dick to have things growing on it?
Quote:
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna You guise are like diet coke and I am the mentos
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna Incredible. How easy it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I'm scared of spiders... When I see one I toss my cats at it
melloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 07:27 AM   #34
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
Quote:
He has BC DL, you can get BC DL if you have international DL and 6 months or more visitor visa. he understands simple words like, ID, name etc..

I yelled at him why he entered fare paid zone, he said he didn't know what else to do as there is no trans link employees by the ticketing area.

ah well....
If he's here for 6 months or more and why does he need a BC DL? Especially if he cannot communicate or understand? Was he going to drive a car where majority of road signs are in English???

Your story seems fishy OP... your answers only lead to more questions.

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 07:34 AM   #35
Official Texas Ambassador

Thanked 5,671 Times in 1,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_handheld View Post
If he's here for 6 months or more and why does he need a BC DL? Especially if he cannot communicate or understand? Was he going to drive a car where majority of road signs are in English???
Because drivers licenses, as with PR cards, seem to be available from vending machines these days.
She taught me right from wrong and always told me to stay positive and help others no matter how small the deed - that helping others gives us meaning to carry on. The sun is out today and it's a new day. Life is good. I just needed a slap in the face.
El Bastardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 07:39 AM   #36
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
More to the point how does someone who can't speak English get a DL, do they give tests in non official languages (I think I just realized that this is likely a rhetorical question - of course they do, if you pay, you don't even have to take the test in Richmond (that comment based on previous factual findings, no racist))
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 07:41 AM   #37
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
Quote:
He has BC DL, you can get BC DL if you have international DL and 6 months or more visitor visa. he understands simple words like, ID, name etc..

I yelled at him why he entered fare paid zone, he said he didn't know what else to do as there is no trans link employees by the ticketing area.

ah well....
You raised your voice to your grandfather? You're a turd
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-11-2013, 07:47 AM   #38
Banned By Establishment

Two sides to every story. Hard to believe they didn't help him. If he cant speak English how do you know he could even ask for help? Most likely he tried to walk on and was stopped and said some shit in Chinese like "I didn't know how" or something and no one could understand shit. So bam. Ticket.
Posted via RS Mobile
predom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:46 AM   #39
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 2,237 Times in 251 Posts
Quote:

I'm shocked at how expansive ticket is, $173? i've gotten cheaper speeding ticket, apparently this is fare evasion is more serious...

homeless man gets free rides, 65+ confused old man gets fine...
kind of off topic but they mentioned on the news how fare evasion tickets are more expensive than other offenses. Driving with a cell phone is just a few bucks cheaper than fare evasion lol.

lynda steele, steele on your side, consumer, translink, fines | CTV British Columbia News
ziggyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:02 AM   #40
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,985 Times in 1,690 Posts
Best thing to do is just call Translink and explain the situation nicely and hope for the best. Your grandpa is wrong for entering a fare paid zone without a valid ticket.

Unlucky situation.
Your grandpa goes looking for help... If "help" wasn't even there in the first place, he wouldn't have received a ticket.
Don't bitch out at your grandpa, shit happens.

Police/transit attendants that are checking for fares purposely "hide" at the top of the stairs so that they can blindside fare evaders.

Fact that your grandpa spotted them in advance to walk up to them to ask for help sounds fishy.

Unless he means he was wandering around trying to find help and stumbled upon them.

It sucks, because it shouldn't have been like this, yet the police are just doing their job.

As a visitor, you shouldn't need to know the language to go out, but at the same time, it's inevitable if you misunderstand the law because you don't know the language.

I'm sure if your grandpa waited around long enough, someone else would have used the fare machine, so he could have figured it out. There's also arrows on the fare indicating which direction to insert it in.

Good luck on your situation. I've personally had a good experience with them before, when I honestly forgot to get a July month pass. And I got caught about 10 days into July. (I've even been using the June pass on the bus daily prior to that, and bus driver never said anything). The translink officer gave me a warning.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM

Last edited by AzNightmare; 09-11-2013 at 09:11 AM.
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:34 AM   #41
RS Veteran

Thanked 1,265 Times in 618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggyx View Post
kind of off topic but they mentioned on the news how fare evasion tickets are more expensive than other offenses. Driving with a cell phone is just a few bucks cheaper than fare evasion lol.

lynda steele, steele on your side, consumer, translink, fines | CTV British Columbia News
evasion of fair is technically fraud. Would you rather be charged criminally or pay a fine? it's really no different than getting in a taxi and not paying
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:56 AM   #42
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,586 Times in 4,318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4444 View Post
More to the point how does someone who can't speak English get a DL, do they give tests in non official languages (I think I just realized that this is likely a rhetorical question - of course they do, if you pay, you don't even have to take the test in Richmond (that comment based on previous factual findings, no racist))
Doesn't it make you feel so safe on the road?

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-11-2013, 03:41 PM   #43
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 2,237 Times in 251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey View Post
evasion of fair is technically fraud. Would you rather be charged criminally or pay a fine? it's really no different than getting in a taxi and not paying
I guess that's true, but it feels like the fine shouldn't be so high . That's just my opinion. I always pay the fares, learned the lesson when I got caught in 4th grade because I had no cash... the cop gave me a warning lol.
ziggyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 03:58 PM   #44
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggyx View Post
I guess that's true, but it feels like the fine shouldn't be so high . That's just my opinion. I always pay the fares, learned the lesson when I got caught in 4th grade because I had no cash... the cop gave me a warning lol.
The reason it is high is to deter people from riding without paying.
Old 09-11-2013, 04:14 PM   #45

Thanked 2,734 Times in 697 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerche View Post
I can't blame your grandpa for having issues inserting the faresavers. I take the transit quite regularly and I had issues inserting it correctly at times. I even encountered numerous times where regular riders having the same issues inserting it 4x and still get it wrong resorting to the driver inserting it for them.

It's crazy how specific it has to be inserted.
There are only four different ways you can insert the ticket...
Commander Spock would have inserted it on the first go, it's only logical.

Seriously though, i'm glad the fare validation system is so "complex", it allows the average person (children and seniors exempt) to actually exercise that brain logically for a change.
PeanutButter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 06:45 PM   #46
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

I wrote a dispute letter to Translink, asking them to check the security recordings and see if he really tried fare evasion.
They should be able to see if he even tried to validate his ticket or went straight up to train.
Also, he went up the both platforms, searching for translink employee, so he went to lengths to get his ticket validated.
If they can see that on the security video, surely they would understand and cancel the ticket right?

So, today he received letter from Translink saying too bad so sad, sol...
In the letter, they are saying "Although I can empathize with the circumstances", rules are rules. He shouldn't have entered fare paid zone regardless of any reasons, blar blar blar

I think he will end up paying for the ticket, even though he's not a PR here...

Last edited by ImportPsycho; 09-28-2013 at 01:52 PM.
ImportPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 08:25 PM   #47
RS Veteran

Quote:
So, today he received letter from Translink saying to bad so sad, sol...

I wrote a dispute letter to Translink, asking them to check the security recordings and see if he really tried fare evasion.
They should be able to see if he even tried to validate his ticket or went straight up to train.
Also, he went up the both platforms, searching for translink employee, so he went to lengths to get his ticket validated.
If they can see that on the security video, surely they would understand and cancel the ticket right?

In the letter, they are saying "Although I can empathize with the circumstances", rules are rules. He shouldn't have entered fare paid zone regardless of any reasons, blar blar blar

I think he will end up paying for the ticket, even though he's not a PR here...
you weren't there, so you can't say for sure what your gramps told you is 100% fact. if I were you, I would believe my own relative over a joe blow cop... but you, yourself have no idea what actually happened.
Old 09-27-2013, 12:34 AM   #48
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 1,536 Times in 427 Posts
as shitty as this is, due to your circumstances, i think it may be easier to simply just pay the ticket and get this over with. the time invested and the hassle just doesn't seem worth it. just swallow your pride.
SoNaRWaVe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 08:22 AM   #49
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Fun facts: A Translink cop pulls in a minimum of $80K annually.

A Skytrain attendant makes $60K.

By comparison, a CBSA officer, who is responsible for keeping terrorists, foreign diseases, sexual predators and counterfeit goods out of Canada, makes as much as a Skytrain attendant, who can't even seem to keep a bicycle off a train during prohibited hours.

For some odd reason, all we ever hear out of Translink are the financial difficulties they face. With wages like that, it's no wonder.

Sorry to hear about your grandfather's situation.
ScratchedMy991 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-27-2013, 08:27 AM   #50
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScratchedMy991 View Post
Fun facts: A Translink cop pulls in a minimum of $80K annually.

A Skytrain attendant makes $60K.

By comparison, a CBSA officer, who is responsible for keeping terrorists, foreign diseases, sexual predators and counterfeit goods out of Canada, makes as much as a Skytrain attendant, who can't even seem to keep a bicycle off a train during prohibited hours.

For some odd reason, all we ever hear out of Translink are the financial difficulties they face. With wages like that, it's no wonder.

Sorry to hear about your grandfather's situation.
cool story.