REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Disputing a Translink fare infraction ticket (https://www.revscene.net/forums/688115-disputing-translink-fare-infraction-ticket.html)

ImportPsycho 09-10-2013 12:17 PM

Disputing a Translink fare infraction ticket

my grandpa, oversea visitor, who does not speak English was trying to ride sky train with fare saver ticket.
He knew he had to validate the ticket at the station but couldn't quite do it right, I guess he was inserting it wrong side up.
So, he wasn't sure what to do, and saw the officers up on the platform, checking tickets, walked up to them to ask for help, but got a fare infraction ticket instead.

Since he doesn't speak English,he couldn't explaining the situation and they assumed he was trying to get free ride.

does he have any chance of getting ticket voided?

UPDATE

I wrote a dispute letter to Translink, asking them to check the security recordings and see if he really tried fare evasion.
They should be able to see if he even tried to validate his ticket or went straight up to train.
Also, he went up the both platforms, searching for translink employee, so he went to lengths to get his ticket validated.
If they can see that on the security video, surely they would understand and cancel the ticket right?

So, today he received letter from Translink saying too bad so sad, sol...
In the letter, they are saying "Although I can empathize with the circumstances", rules are rules. He shouldn't have entered fare paid zone regardless of any reasons, blar blar blar :seriously:

I think he will end up paying for the ticket, even though he's not a PR here...

Ch28 09-10-2013 12:25 PM

That's fucked up

Those guys have no common sense. Why would a fare evader purposely walk up to you?!

Phil@rise 09-10-2013 12:25 PM

I'm suer it can be voided but if he's just a visitor who cares

PeanutButter 09-10-2013 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ch28 (Post 8317436)
That's fucked up

Those guys have no common sense. Why would a fare evader purposely walk up to you?!

Was he at Brighouse? Because Translink sometimes stands at the top of the escalator/steps so you can't really see them until it's too late. So they probably just assumed he was trying to get on for free.

I'm sure if you just contact translink, they might wave the ticket.

Mr.HappySilp 09-10-2013 12:55 PM

That's bad. At least they should give your grandpa a chance. I seen it before where the skytrain cops were checking fares and this group of girls have no tickets but were just given a warning and they get to contiune to ride for free. No warnings tickets no nothing they were simply told not to do it again.
Kinda of unfair.

MarkyMark 09-10-2013 01:36 PM

People who live here don't even pay the fines why would he bother disputing if he's not a permanent resident

Ch28 09-10-2013 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil@rise (Post 8317437)
I'm suer it can be voided but if he's just a visitor who cares

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkyMark (Post 8317478)
People who live here don't even pay the fines why would he bother disputing if he's not a permanent resident

It's the principle of the matter.

He had an issue with the fare saver machine and decided to go to the people that were suppose to help him. Instead of helping him out, they decided to write him up and embarrass him.

He did nothing wrong. Why should he be written up?

tmc22 09-10-2013 02:05 PM

It's like they're purposely trying to fuck you over. Why would the transit cops stand on the top of the stairs, if their main intention is to just hand out a ticket and not help.

murd0c 09-10-2013 02:28 PM

He's from out of country and there is nothing they can do to collect the money off of him. Tell him not to pay and he has nothing to worry about.

JaPoola 09-10-2013 03:00 PM

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight, you let your grandpa who doesn't speak a lick of English go out on his merry way by himself to explore huh? And instead of asking regular people how to validate his ticket he goes to the Translink officers?

Just say he didn't know how to validate the ticket, said "fuck it", and tried to get on the train regardless.

Timpo 09-10-2013 03:48 PM

I don't think Translink ticket is like private parking lot ticket right?

What if your grandpa comes back to Canada in the future? Is there any chance of him be detained or denied access to Canada?

Alby 09-10-2013 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tmc22 (Post 8317492)
It's like they're purposely trying to fuck you over. Why would the transit cops stand on the top of the stairs, if their main intention is to just hand out a ticket and not help.

they do this is because you would have entered a fare paid zone. and without a fare, they have the right to write you a ticket.

i would call translink and tell them as they may waive the ticket for you. some cops are nice enough to give warnings, some are just douches that will write you up.

however, it is actually not the cops job to help with the fares, its the skytrain attendants job

Phil@rise 09-10-2013 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ch28 (Post 8317481)
It's the principle of the matter.

He had an issue with the fare saver machine and decided to go to the people that were suppose to help him. Instead of helping him out, they decided to write him up and embarrass him.

He did nothing wrong. Why should he be written up?

Yeah he did do something wrong. He entered the "fare paid zone" without having his fare paid the transit authority are not required to be translators thus by their definition he did something wrong.
If he's just a visitor dont waste your time disputing cus frankly its BS but if he's not then dispute it. Yes I agree with you its more about principal tho.

Prolowtone 09-10-2013 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JaPoola (Post 8317525)
Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight, you let your grandpa who doesn't speak a lick of English go out on his merry way by himself to explore huh? And instead of asking regular people how to validate his ticket he goes to the Translink officers?

Just say he didn't know how to validate the ticket, said "fuck it", and tried to get on the train regardless.

Dono about anyone else but that is a pretty racist thing to say. So what, you expect him to be locked in the house because no one was out with him, he is human, not a dog. and im sure that he knows where he is going if he is using transit hahaha

therubberguard 09-10-2013 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ImportPsycho (Post 8317428)
my grandpa, oversea visitor, who does not speak English was trying to ride sky train with fare saver ticket.
He knew he had to validate the ticket at the station but couldn't quite do it right, I guess he was inserting it wrong side up.
So, he wasn't sure what to do, and saw the officers up on the platform, checking tickets, walked up to them to ask for help, but got a fare infraction ticket instead.

Since he doesn't speak English,he couldn't explaining the situation and they assumed he was trying to get free ride.

does he have any chance of getting ticket voided?

Since your grandpa doesn't speak English, I know a guy that can help you out. Might get an apology and some respect out of it too.

http://www.theprovince.com/news/cms/binary/8822444.jpg

Manic! 09-10-2013 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JaPoola (Post 8317525)

So when I was in Germany for 2 days I should have learned German before entering the country?

tiger_handheld 09-10-2013 06:03 PM

Translink needs to hire some canto and mando speaking people for richmond skytrain stations.

:troll:

How did the transit cops issue your grandpa a ticket? Where did they get his name and address from?

This story has more holes than swiss cheese!

meme405 09-10-2013 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiger_handheld (Post 8317660)

:awwyeah:

In all seriousness though, translink used to not be able to do shit, to get people to pay the tickets. Now they have been granted more powers to force people to pay and they are still not getting anywhere. Something like 60% of all fare evasion tickets over the past 4 years have gone unpaid...

parm104 09-10-2013 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manic! (Post 8317658)
So when I was in Germany for 2 days I should have learned German before entering the country?

Can't believe your family let you go to Germany for 2 days without knowing a lick of English. No sense of responsibility these days...

Grandpa should sue family for being negligent and letting him use public transportation without knowing English. Translink should sue grandpa because grandpa should have bothered to ask random strangers instead of bothering official employees in uniform who regulate the rules of Translink.

I'll call Sall...

Spidey 09-10-2013 08:52 PM

I agree with the person who asked about how a VT was filled out without your grandpa being able to speak English. Unless there was a Chinese speaking Transit cop that believed your grandpa intended to evade the fare. It isn't hard to validate a fare saver. It actually shows you via picture, how to validate it. Pretty much, you have 4 chances of validating it properly......

ImportPsycho 09-10-2013 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timpo (Post 8317564)
I don't think Translink ticket is like private parking lot ticket right?

What if your grandpa comes back to Canada in the future? Is there any chance of him be detained or denied access to Canada?

this is what he is worried about, he doesn't want any record.
but i think worst case, he can't get/renew a BC driver's license.

• ICBC may refuse to issue or renew a driver’s licence or vehicle insurance.

I'm shocked at how expansive ticket is, $173? i've gotten cheaper speeding ticket, apparently this is fare evasion is more serious...

homeless man gets free rides, 65+ confused old man gets fine... :okay:

Anjew 09-10-2013 09:17 PM

i thought i heard on the news that they are pulling the transit cops away from fair evasion duties and actually focusing on protecting the public.

ImportPsycho 09-10-2013 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiger_handheld (Post 8317660)
Translink needs to hire some canto and mando speaking people for richmond skytrain stations.

:troll:

How did the transit cops issue your grandpa a ticket? Where did they get his name and address from?

He has BC DL, you can get BC DL if you have international DL and 6 months or more visitor visa. he understands simple words like, ID, name etc..

I yelled at him why he entered fare paid zone, he said he didn't know what else to do as there is no trans link employees by the ticketing area.

ah well....

Anjew 09-10-2013 09:27 PM

thats not fair... there must be a way to get the word out. Does the ticket have an agent number of sort?

parm104 09-10-2013 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ImportPsycho (Post 8317855)
He has BC DL, you can get BC DL if you have international DL and 6 months or more visitor visa. he understands simple words like, ID, name etc..

I yelled at him why he entered fare paid zone, he said he didn't know what else to do as there is no trans link employees by the ticketing area.

ah well....

Don't be an idiot and yell at your grandfather for receiving a trivial Translink infraction...I thought you were advocating on his behalf and now you're yelling at him for doing something he didn't know? lol errrrr....