REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Manufacturer Tech Forums > Honda / Acura Tech Resources

Honda / Acura Tech Resources All honda & Acura Tech info
THIS ADSPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT

Old 09-12-2013, 08:20 PM   #1
resident Oil Guru

Thanked 10,457 Times in 1,794 Posts
SRS Light Seatbelt Sensor

I got the dreaded SRS Light on, turns out it's the driver seatbelt sensor, dealer says its $450 to fix.

Anyone have any alternatives? In the states, it's fixed free under a lifetime seatbelt warranty.
Advertisement
LiquidTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 08:48 PM   #2
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

went to the wrecker bought a used buckle for 70 dollars.. just make sure the car you pull it from wasnt in a considerable sized wreck LOL

this was when i was working at the dealer too.. the part i believe was somewhere between 150-200 my cost
dn53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 10:10 PM   #3
d1
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Any negatives to just leaving it?
d1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 07:07 PM   #4
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

you can try resetting the srs light to see if it comes up again.
you will need to open the fuse box under the steering rack, and close the circuit when the light turns on.
oldsnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 07:51 PM   #5
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by d1 View Post
Any negatives to just leaving it?
The entire SRS system will be disabled if the light is on.
pingu81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 07:57 PM   #6
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,504 Times in 1,162 Posts
Try buckling up prior to starting the car.

Common annoyance with Acuras.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX_Renesis View Post
wtf did she get some bolt-on titties or what?
they look sooooooooooo much bigger than they were 2ish years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nns View Post
I can't stand the sound of Mandarin either. Boo yow nee bey nee shing bo now noong gey shee mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo.
TypeRNammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 11:56 AM   #7
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

I had the same issue recently, if yours is the same, the SRS should be throwing you the 9-3 code. If you buckle and unbuckle your seat belt and the seat belt light stays off once in a while you know for sure the buckle sensor is dirty.

I did a simple DIY fix that might solve your problem.

First, you need to obtain a t10 torx security bit (the torx bit with the centre removed). Princess Auto has a complete set of security bit for 3.99 on sale atm. Second you will need some electrical contact cleaner, aslo on sale Princess Auto atm (sale ends Oct. 20). Third you will need small precision scissors or a hobby knife. An air compressor or a can of compressed air is handy as well but not required. Once you have these three items you can start the DIY.

1. Use the t10 Torx security bit to remove the 2 screws on the seat belt buckle. If you are leaning in from the driver's side facing the passenger side you should see the 2 screws near the bottom of the buckle. The buckle exterior is comprised of 2 pieces, the first piece comes right off, the second piece slides up to be removed. Be careful when sliding the second piece out as you do not want to accidentally disassemble the buckle release (a PITA to reassemble, as I've been told).

2. Once the insides are exposed, you should be able to locate the actual switch on the left side of the unit. The switch is comprised of a small metal flap that is pushed down when the seatbelt is inserted. When this flap is pushed down it activates the switch. This switch gets dirty and throws the error code. This is where the air compressor or compressed air comes in handy. Blow the air onto the insides and remove as much dust as possible. Use your lungs if you don't a compressor or compressed air.

3. The little switch that gets pushed down by the metal flap has a rubber boot around it to help keep dust out of the inside of the switch. Use the precision scissors or hobby knife to cut the boot slightly but do not completely remove the boot. Make a cut big enough so the spray from the contact cleaner straw can get in. Be extra careful here, you don't what to damage the switch here, just cut the little boot.

4. Spray the contact cleaner using the straw (little red straw comes with cleaner) into the cut you just made and push metal flap 5-10 times. repeat 5-10 times.

5. Reset the SRS light.

6. If it worked, the SRS light will stay off and you can enjoy your dash again. If the light comes back on after a second or two the cleaning was unsuccessful. Try again or time for a new buckle. If the light comes back on in the future redo the process. Once confirmed working (or not) reassemble buckle. Remember to take extra care around the red buckle release.

Let me know if you need pictures. You shouldn't but if it helps, I can.

DISCLAIMER
By reading this DIY you assume all risks associated with using the DIY, with a full understanding that you, solely, are responsible for anything that may occur as a result of putting this information into action in any way, and regardless of your interpretation of the advice

Last edited by Midnight R; 10-17-2013 at 05:27 PM.
Midnight R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 11:21 PM   #8
RS controls my life!

Very interesting. Never thought about taking it apart for a cleaning.
But regarding step 5 and 6. When ever i initially go and check the DTC for srs, 90% of the times its under temporary dtc, not permanent. Meaning, the code was tripped at one point earlier and is currently not being tripped and working ok at the moment. I usually reset the light and send the customer on his way and let him know that he will need a new seatbelt buckle. It could be days or weeks or sometimes months before the light comes back on again. And that was just resetting the light without any attempt of cleaning.
Old 10-17-2013, 11:32 PM   #9
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

My buckle was constantly throwing the 9-3. As soon as I reset the light it would trip in about 2 seconds. Cleaning the switch will prolong the frequency, how long is anyone's guess but it has so far helped revive my dead switch. Good point though, if your SRS light is not on like mine was you dont need to reset the light. Beats shelling out money for a new buckle. $10 for tools that you can reuse.
Posted via RS Mobile
Midnight R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 06:48 AM   #10
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck Luck View Post
90% of the times its under temporary dtc, not permanent.
ok...maybe 80% of the time
Old 10-18-2013, 07:48 AM   #11
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TypeRNammer View Post
Try buckling up prior to starting the car.

Common annoyance with Acuras.
noticed this worked for me too. i eventually my mechanic replace the unit. off the top of my head i think it was around $250 with part included. it only took him like half an hour worth of labour or so.

find a private mechanic i'm sure it'll be cheaper than $450 from the dealer

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is online now   Reply With Quote